General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Lipo fires are real...

Old 01-18-2015, 10:16 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I watched this video put out by the FAA, and they do recommend water to be used on lithium batteries. It is worth watching pertains to laptop battery fires does relate to what we use.
http://youtu.be/vS6KA_Si-m8
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 PM
Yakfishingfool

I have all my lipo's in an old sears two drawer tool box - steel, charger in there and store in there. I keep it closed and locked...I guess it could go up (ignite), but I'm hoping that the metal box would at least contain it enough to get to it and remove it.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:29 AM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Nitro.

Thanks very very much for sharing your horrible
misfortune!! You will overcome the $$ disaster!
Wattflyers owe you a lot by your sharing, this may
prevent another loss? I know it has got me thinking!!
I would bet my 2 cts it was one of the charged batteries
that shorted out on the bench. Or a charger failure?

I just pray you can recoup some financial help from
insurance!!!

Hang in there man!!
Jimmy
Old 01-19-2015, 01:35 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gramps2361 View Post
I watched this video put out by the FAA, and they do recommend water to be used on lithium batteries. It is worth watching pertains to laptop battery fires does relate to what we use.
There are a lot of videos on the internet on LiPo battery failures. Some of them were initiated by someone wanting to make a video of it. I did see one 10S big LiPo battery go up in flames inside a very nice WWII model when some other guy flew into the back of that model, putting it into the ground at full speed. That big battery pack flamed and smoked for 15 minutes. Even though they dumped sand and everything else on it.

I believe those laptop battery packs don't have anywhere near the explosive failure mode of a big LiPo battery that has gone into a thermal run-away, and fire.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:38 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
So this just happened last night....... Lipo fires are real. That's my shop on the way to a total loss. 30+ years of RC up in smoke. So glad the house and family are all fine. It was only the RC shop and contents, but its all gone now. A total loss of the workshop. All tools, RC, Automotive, Computer, and more..... 20+ flyable models, years of memories and collecting of RC equipment, parts and supplies.
Ouch

So sad, and very scarey. Best of luck in getting back to where you were down the road.

Our neighbor did a lot of automotive work in his garage. Several years ago, something ignited in his separate garage. That fire spread to his house, and the garage and house were a total loss. He is pretty much back to where he was now.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:49 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Nitro,

I languish at your loss. Hard to comprehend. To share this tragedy with us here is much appreciated.

If there can be anything positive about this, it serves as a wake up call. At least it does for me. My antennas are now up looking to check the status of my lipo inventory.

I've seen the destructive force of these batteries when they explode. It's like a Roman Candle going off. Once one cell gets started, they all go.

Not being an expert on the chemistry, I wonder at which state are they most volatile.

Storage value at 3.75 v per cell= okay High value > than 3.9v ? or low value, < than 3.2v

I know I have some that are > than 3.75. Just been too lazy to discharge to storage. And probably a few that are under 3.3v.

You'll be back up and running soon.

All the best,

Hawk
Old 01-19-2015, 02:50 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

I just spoke with a former club member (safety inspector with the Corona FD.) about lipo fires.....without going into a bunch of forensic detail......lipo battery or similar plastic explosive material fires.....once the lipo or attached charging electronic device flames......both class "D" and Halon type chemicals can be used as to control.....really depends on what the FD has on the vehicle......but to try and save electronic components.........Halon is the preferred compound.........one in 4 FD emergency vehicles at this department cariries such for large containment....just a bit of safety tid bits.....!
Old 01-19-2015, 06:16 AM
max2112
Super Contributor

Dang Nitro! I am so sorry that this happened to you.

I hope the insurance company pays out.

I have always enjoyed your posts and especially your videos.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:41 AM
carpetbagger

Default water . . .

Originally Posted by gramps2361 View Post
Right, gramps2361. I work Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting and for Class D fires - wheel fires etc - FAA sez LOTS of water. My crash truck has Purple K powder which is great for Class D but requires getting up close & personal to the blaze.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:25 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Water on class D fire is an attempt to cool it below the minimum temperature for combustion.

Doesn't work on some class D fires such as the magnesium flares which will burn many feet under water and are used by divers.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:38 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Water on class D fire is an attempt to cool it below the minimum temperature for combustion.

Doesn't work on some class D fires such as the magnesium flares which will burn many feet under water and are used by divers.
I spent a while on Scientific ships and we had Flare Guns on the 'Bridge' ... they were to fire of flares to warn ships away from us when operating.

One day one of the French Computer guys on board asked if he could fire the Very Pistol ... so I showed him what to do etc.

He aimed UP as he was shown but forgot that after pulling trigger there is a slight delay .. he dropped his arm and the flare shot into the water ... You could see that flare burning and going down .. down ... down ... down !!

Another vessel we were off a certain coast - I can't name it - and a fishing vessel was approaching too close - so one of the guys picked up the Very Pistol before I could stop him ... fired ...
Instead of the flare going skyward ... it hit the deck of the fishing vessel and was whizz-banging around till it burnt out. Luckily didn't hurt anyone or catch anything alight.
Once it went out ... guys came out and pulled the tarp of a machine on the fordeck - a double barrel 50 cal machine gun ...
Turned out to be a FV seconded as disguised local patrol boat. Frantic calls to our 'control' !!

Nigel
Old 01-20-2015, 01:05 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

One of the funniest stories I've read for a while. Probably wasn't at the time.....
Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Panther View Post
One of the funniest stories I've read for a while. Probably wasn't at the time.....
Have to admit that we all laughed AFTERWARDS ... but it's not funny at the time when that 50 cal is swung round and pointed at you !

What we didn't know - was HE was actually the REPLACEMENT guard boat for US !! Being in 'sensitive' waters didn't help !!

Nigel
Old 01-20-2015, 06:53 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Unhappy Man that fire sucks

I have been told the only way to stop or at least contain a Lipo fire, is to bury the flaming battery in very fine sand. The man was an ex-fireman, and his home charging container, is a large terra cotta flower pot, with the leads going through the bottom drip hole. The lid is the cool part, he sets a 5 gallon bucket of dry ocean beach sand on top of the flower pot.

He figures if the battery lights off it will melt the bottom out of the bucket and bury the battery in sand.

I have a few old co2 fire extinguishers, that might be a way to supercool a Lipo fire, if you can get close enough.

I am so sorry for your loss Nitro, I would be devastated if that happened to me as I would lose many memories of my father.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:18 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
I have been told the only way to stop or at least contain a Lipo fire, is to bury the flaming battery in very fine sand. The man was an ex-fireman, and his home charging container, is a large terra cotta flower pot, with the leads going through the bottom drip hole. The lid is the cool part, he sets a 5 gallon bucket of dry ocean beach sand on top of the flower pot.

He figures if the battery lights off it will melt the bottom out of the bucket and bury the battery in sand.

I have a few old co2 fire extinguishers, that might be a way to supercool a Lipo fire, if you can get close enough.

I am so sorry for your loss Nitro, I would be devastated if that happened to me as I would lose many memories of my father.
CO2 extg's do not cool a fire ... they only remove oxygen from the fire triangle ... ask your ex fireman mate ...
Plus the volume of smoke vapour given off will dispel the CO2.

Nigel
Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Default CO2

Nigel

Back in the day I used co2 to
almost freeze a 30 gal. barrel
of warm beer in cans!!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 01-20-2015, 08:45 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
Nigel

Back in the day I used co2 to
almost freeze a 30 gal. barrel
of warm beer in cans!!

Regards
Jimmy
Yes that can be done ... but a) I bet it took ages .... b) you were very close and held it on all time ... c) you were not facing heat of a fire.

In a fire situation - you have intense heat ... you are not close enough ... you have to waft the CO2 over it to try and get INTO IT to extinguish it.
It is common for a fire to spring back into life when a CO2 extg'r runs out or is taken away ...

The only absolute fact about cold with a CO2 extg'r is DON'T hold the bottom or sides of the ballon !! They usually freze and get 'snow' forming ... I've seen Freeze Burns of people who forgot that.

Nigel
Old 01-21-2015, 03:44 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I was thinking of post #23 when I thought of a co2 unit supercooling it. It was just a guess on my part.

Our propane outdoor grill, caught fire with several dollars worth of steaks on it. My co2 bottle worked great and no damage to the meat. That is the only time I have had to use one of my 3 - co2 extinguishers, thankfully. I also have large class ABC extinguisher's in my house and workshop.

I found a small old refrigerator with all metal sides inside and out. It's only about 16" square and 36" high inside. The walls are 2" thick and the door seals tight. I removed the small refer unit that was inside, the outer part of it was gone when I found the thing.

I was going to make a smoker out of it for fish and meat, but now I am going to use it for Lipo storage. I painted it with house paint and put a overhang top on to keep the rain out. It is staying dry inside. It will sit 10' away from my house.

I started making this into a Lipo safe about 2 years ago but lost interest when my hip and knee hurt so much, now they are fixed and my interest in everything is going through the roof. After see Nitro's terrible fire, I will make this project happen quickly.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:59 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Default Fire Summary

Ok, here it is in all its glory.. The summary of my shop fire.

Old 01-22-2015, 05:12 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

OMG that's just devastating! I hope you have documentation of all of your R/C investments to present to the insurance company. About a year ago I shot video of just about everything R/C that I own for insurance purposes. Only maybe 10K or so worth of stuff but I can't afford to replace it on my own. Video is on a USB drive in my fireproof safe. I also have it saved on my work computer. Just in case......

Joe
Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I am going to show your video to my electric club, which meets tomorrow evening.