Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

Sim doesn't seem very real

Old 07-15-2007, 04:03 AM
techie1961

Default Sim doesn't seem very real

I have the FSOne simulator that I have been practising on as well as my helis. I am noticing that there is a big difference between real life and simulations. The real helis are a lot easier to hover and keep in one place than the sim.

Is this normal? As an example, I can keep my Blade CPP in front of me fairly easily even with a slight wind. On the simulator with the CPP, I can't seem to keep it in front of me and often it goes much higher than I would like.

I also tried it with the CX2 and similarily the real thing is easier to fly. The CX2 often goes into a toilet bowl spriral in the simulator.

Do all sims act this way? Is there one that is better than the FSOne sim?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:05 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

from what I was told, the older RealFlight G3 had the ability to turn the gyro on and off. possibly you could be trying to fly the sim without the effect of a gyro?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:01 PM
techie1961

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
from what I was told, the older RealFlight G3 had the ability to turn the gyro on and off. possibly you could be trying to fly the sim without the effect of a gyro?
I don't think that that option is available in FSOne. I have used the sim with my DX7 and the TX that came with it and both act about the same as well so I doubt it is the transmitter.

Overall the problem isn't really with the orientation around the heli's axis but rather that it wants to wander to the side and fore/aft. It will also not maintain a height very well. A little bit more throttle and up it goes and a little less and it is on the ground.

I calibrate the TX often so maybe it is just what this sim is capable of. Are the others any better?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:56 AM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Prehaps it's trying to model the sticky collective?

I do also notice a few things different from sim to my model. (Using FMS mind you with custom models) the FMS model seems less stable as well and has strange drifting tendencies that my real model doesn't have. This could also be because whoever designed the model didn't have his / hers trimmed out all the way so theirs did have strange behavior on more an occasion.

But I figure I'd rather have sim hard real easy than the other way around.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:32 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

is there a wind setting that could be at work here?
Old 07-31-2007, 02:46 AM
Oglomott

I have been using Real Flight G3.5, and I find the opposite of what the OP has seen--I find that the sim helis are easier to fly than the helis themselves. JMO, YMMV.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:49 AM
brnyrbbl