Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Aircraft reccomendations for new flyers

Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 PM
carld2002

So I took it flying.

I took it up and around for a few flights then transiotined to real flights.

I got 3 flights in, all which ended up crashing when I tried to land it.

Then on my fourth, I went too low and it ended up crashing into a bench. This was the first time that it took structural damage besides dirt. The wing had a hole in it so I rounded up the pieces and took it home.

I epoxied it at home and it looks pretty good now.

So all in all, it flew really well until the wing hit a bench.

I need some advice:

-Tips on landing
-Tips on fixing it effectively.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Insomniac

For landing, you should cut the throttle and just glide in. As it gets to about a foot above the ground, fly level and just let it slow down and let it settle onto the ground. Don't worry about landing it near you, it doesn't matter if you land 50 meters away so long as the plane is ok. More precise landings will come with practice.

Epoxy should work fine for fixing the wing, so long as it is strong enough (eg if the wing snapped in half I would do a litte reinforcing to help the epoxy)
Old 11-21-2007, 10:06 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by carld2002 View Post
I need some advice:

-Tips on landing
-Tips on fixing it effectively.
Get as far out as you can. It always seems to take more space to land than you expect. Bring it in low, like you're just going to fly about a foot off the ground, then slowly reduce power.

Let me try to preface this by saying, it's a good idea to learn how your plane will stall. While flying up high, fly a straight level path, while reducing throttle, and trying to maintain that altitude. There will come a point that the plain will stop flying. It will either just try to fall out of the sky, a wing might dip, the nose may droop, but you will notice it will no long want to fly. You can get out of this by increasing power, and maybe a little up elevator.

Do this a few times, this will be your stall speed, or the speed just below what you want for landing. You'll want your plane just above the ground on your landing approach by the time you reach this speed.

tips for repairs....

HOT GLUE!!!

And not regular hot glue, it's too hot. Walmart sells these little mini glue guns for about 2 bucks. You can buy a whole pack of sticks for a couple more dollars. It's a quick fix, and easier and cleaner to work with than many glues and epoxies as far as I am concerned. And I find it does an excellent job of binding foam. Some smooth plastics, it doesn't bond as well with, but if it is pourous, it's holding.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:16 AM
orwell

Default LiPo WD RTF???

Can you convert the NiMH WD to LiPo? Since I already have some lipos, and am ordering a nice new LiPo charger, and don't really want to learn the quirks of a new battery type..................
Old 11-23-2007, 01:18 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

If the lipos are 2 cells, yes. If you want to use 3 cell lipos, you have to change out the motor. The 3s lipos will eventually burn up the stock motor.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:26 AM
orwell

ok, so what would such a conversion entail? The connectors are different right? So, new connectors, and thats it?

and if I used 1000mah 3s lipos and was conservative with throttle, it should be ok shouldn't it? Or is the "type" of power being delivered just inherently bad for the motor? I am thinking it is just a qustion of the more powerful 3s battery sending too much juice to the motor, in which case I could just be careful with throttle........
Old 11-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I am not too sure what connectors you have on the plane or your batteries. I use Deans Ultra on all my planes and Lipos.

The problem with the 3s lipos is they produce a voltage (12.6V at full charge) that the motor can not handle for extended amounts of time. If you want to run a 3s lipo, you might want to consider a brushless setup.

It is like jump starting a motorcycle with a 24V truck. I had a no so smart friend do that to my bike while I was deployed. I had to buy a whole new wiring harness when I got back.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:13 AM
carld2002

A question

Does anyone make floats for the hz super cub?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 PM
carld2002

Still need the last question asked but...

Would I be allright with a stryker b as a second plane?

How about a c?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:08 AM
Insomniac

If you do a little practice on the sim, you should be fine with the stryker B. You could probably manage a c if you flew half throttle. I went from an electrafun xp to the stryker b and haven't had any problems flying it.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:34 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

On Thanksgiving I was zooming around with my Stryker in the field by my parents house. When I finally landed I got applause. Some people had gathered behind us to watch, and I was really having a good time flying some basic aerobatics, which are really easy with the Stryker.

Strykers rock. End of discussion

(Oh yeah... there are throttle speeds in between 0 and 100%... you should use them - the Stryker flies slow or fast)
Old 11-26-2007, 02:12 AM
carld2002

I am wondering if this would be allright as a second aircraft:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mig15.htm

It says that it will fly well when throttled back to a low speed.

How would it's speed compare to a parkzone typhoon 2?

I want something that would fly nicely but not be too fast.

Am I able to port my skyfly controller to function with that one?

Last edited by carld2002; 11-26-2007 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:12 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Looks like this guy used some GWS Floats for his supercub.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Prof100

Right on, thanks.

So would getting this be a bad idea or a worse idea?
http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=470
Very cool looking plane but a swept wing, ducted fan F86 jet is not a good plane for a beginner or a second plane unless you have a club to fly at with a expert pilot to assist with a buddy box. Besides, the F86 will set you back way more than your budget. Looking at the ad is not clear what comes in the box. It looks like you get the plane and retracts for $190. Add to that a radio ($80 to $200), servos ($25-$80), lipo ($40-100), esc ($40-$100) and charger ($30 to $100). You'll be over $400 in a heartbeat. Buy a Hobbyzone Super Cub or buy Ultrafly Super Decathalon ($100), or buy a epp Push E Cat kit for $100 and a low dollar radio, servos, charger and lipo.

Last edited by Prof100; 11-26-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I agree with jasmine, if you need/want a jet like plane, go with the stryker.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:04 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

I am wondering if this would be allright as a second aircraft:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/mig15.htm

It says that it will fly well when throttled back to a low speed.

How would it's speed compare to a parkzone typhoon 2?

I want something that would fly nicely but not be too fast.

Am I able to port my skyfly controller to function with that one?
The Mig-15/F-86 was notoriously unstable, especially at low speeds. It was very aerobatic, but that comes from being unstable. All the models I've seen have reproduced that instability in a 'scale' way... meaning it's more unstable and twitchy than the full-scale version. I have not seen this particular model though...
Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

If the stryker is what you want, get the C and run it on 2s, not 3s, until you are comfortable with the speeds its capable of. With 2s the one I flew still had tons of power and could still get away from me in a sec in anything above 3/4 throttle. With 3s anything beyond 1/2 throttle was faster then my eyes.

Its a fun plane, and if you ask Jrookie he'll tell ya the words he hears everytime he put it in the air "EASY on the sticks!!". It'll do just about anything you ask it to nice and gently.

To fix it (yup numerous times now, hehehe) I mixed up some 5min epoxy and coated the interior surfaces of the broken foam bits with that. Then push the 2 parts together and apply a dab of hot glue to hold things while the epoxy sets. The nose broke in 3 pieces on the first bad "landing" and was fixed in 15 min total. The second bad "landing" broke the foam around the motor mount (actually popped the MM and the foam it sandwhiched off the plane), that took another 15 min to fix. BTW, the crash that sent the MM flying, was a nose in crash, HARD nose in. The nose that was repaired left the field in fine shape.
Its a tough and fun plane, just be patient on the sticks and before to adjust your TX Throws for ch1&2 before trying to fly, or it will strip out the PZ servos almost instantly.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:50 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

It's foam, it needs Hot Glue!!!

This is the repair device of choice for me. It works great, fast and clean.

And pburt is dead on about gentle with the sticks. Small movements unless you're trying for that super fast roll, or hard loop.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:59 PM
carld2002

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The Mig-15/F-86 was notoriously unstable, especially at low speeds. It was very aerobatic, but that comes from being unstable. All the models I've seen have reproduced that instability in a 'scale' way... meaning it's more unstable and twitchy than the full-scale version. I have not seen this particular model though...
Crap, it might be too late.

Could have allready been bought for me.

Any advice on making the best of this?
Old 11-26-2007, 09:02 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

yeah, put it aside until you're ready for it.

I have done that with a couple planes, that I thought I wasn't ready for.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:03 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

The other choice, is to tell the person that might have bought it, to see if they can stop the transaction. I am sure, if it's a parent that they will respect the fact you took the time to ask for advice, and was wise enough to follow it.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Prof100

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
yeah, put it aside until you're ready for it.

I have done that with a couple planes, that I thought I wasn't ready for.

FM,

I know what you mean. I have a Eratix 3D being shipped to me in the mail that will end up hanging from the ceiling until I get more proficient with flying. I got it for a good price so I couldn't pass it up. I need to practice on my Mavrick 3D before I maiden the Eratix (see below)

Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 PM
carld2002

Yep, I will probably do that.

i asked for others anyways, and that one would work out to be like double the price of the others so i may not be getting that one anyways.

Is it extremely fast or just unstable? I could deal with a bit of instability if it was slower.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:19 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

The problem is the instability is amplified when it's going slow.

And slow is when you need it stable the most. Nothing like trying to land while the plane is pitching all over the place.

If you want an awesome plane, try asking for the Parkzone T-28 Trojan.

It likes a long approach for landing, but it flies beautifully. It does well fast and slow. It lands like a dream with a little practice.

I was flying mine this weekend in winds varying from 10-17 mph. I took it way out high and downwind, cut the power and just guided it towards me. On one landing I started a little far out, I just bumped up the throttle and brought it in a little closer, then cut it back again. It looked so scale, like standing at the airport watching the full sized guys come in. Gear down and gradually descending, it looked real. One of those "yup, that's my plane, and I'm the pilot" moments.

This plane gets compliments from everyone that sees it. And I will admit, I am not a good pilot. In this case, it's all the plane that makes it look good.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 PM
carld2002

So i changed my asking list.

My #1 choice now is the t-28.

I love how it's a full 4 channel and comes with a reusable 5 channel radio.

I also flew my skyfly today. I flew a lot better and almost landed it but crashed it even worse later on.

So what do you guys think of the t-28?

Quick Reply: Aircraft reccomendations for new flyers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.21218 seconds with 13 queries