Pattern aircraft Discuss electric powered pattern aircraft in here

EPO Formosa II

Old 04-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

It's been about 6 yrs. or so since I traded off my 'Mosa II but I'm anxious to build my new one as soon as I finish covering the "Wild Thing" I built a year ago Don't know why I waited so long to get another 'Mosa II as I loved flying the first one so much
The 3 things I recall having issues with was the soft motor mount stick & the foam getting soft where the aileron control horns mounted. I eventually epoxied a 1/4" plywood mount to the nose to mount a motor. The ailerons required cutting out the soft foam and gluing in a piece of balsa that I then sanded to it's final shape & then mounting the control horns again. Also the landing gear needing stiffening using a thicker wire but that was easy enough to do. I didn't use the battery cover the first time but I liked the suggestion earlier about placing the lipo under the canopy so I think I'll try doing something like that. Hopefully the nose cowl is made of thicker material now as I went thru 3 before I got one that didn't blow/rip apart after a flight or two.
Think I'll put the "Wild Thing" back in it's rack & go ahead and do a quick build of the 'Mosa II vII

Standing By,
SJ
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Slow John,

I've been reading the build thread over on RCG that goes back to 2005.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422347
Fun in that you can see how much has evolved in a short period of time. BL's, EPO, Lipos, etc. GWS was just moving their factory from Taiwan to mainland China. The common theme throughout is how well this plane actually flies.

I've been staring at the kit off and on for a couple of weeks pondering the best way to mount everything. I've decided to make a top hatch from the cowl to the canopy providing enough room to slip a 2200 in there. Part of the battery will slip under the canopy. Going to mount the servo's and place the rx on the bottom of the fuse and run stiffer rods out to the elevator and rudder horns. Our very own Chellie has made some custom, aluminum, main LG with the idea that they will perform better on grass. Should arrive today. I even have a spare light kit laying around so, I'll include nav lights. Probably won't do much painting. I'm not very good in that department.

Basically have everything ready. Just need to get off my fat a$$ and get started. Not too keen on the hinges. Might swap those out for Dubro's

I don't know how bad the original cowl was but in looking at it, I suspect the current offering is not much better. I think headsuprc.com sells spares.

I'm hopeful TopSpin will chime in soon on his build when his eye recovers. Look forward to seeing some progress pics along the way !

Cheers,

Hawk
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Had some time today so? "A carving we will go !"

Decided on top hatch for battery. First I straightened out the channel and placed a piece of a ruler as a backstop so the battery will not slide too far back.

Then I carved out a deep cavity to allow for wires from the battery and esc to co-exist. Always a challenge, especially when using adaptor cables.

Next I dry fitted a 2200 3S thin Zippy to see how it would fit and check for easy of entry into the compartment. Not too bad . It's the longest lipo I have so worse case scenario. Won't need velco. In fact, velco friction will make it more difficult to stuff it in there. I can still move it forward slightly if need be but no reason to move it any more aft. I can also still use one of the straps.

Mocked-up the hatch cover. It's still in two pieces but I'll clean em up and glue them together and use some rare earth magnets. Might make a hinge setup to swivel open and shut.

So, I made a little progress. Don't think I've compromised the structural integrity. Servos will be mounted like bubsteve's. The Rx will also reside in the servo bay. Will cut out and sand the ailerons and elevator tonight and prepare hinges. There really won't be anything installed in the stock battery bay. It will be the baggage hold.

If I paint, I might just paint the underside for some contrasting visibility.

Mosa build has started !

-Hawk
Old 04-03-2013, 11:08 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
It's been about 6 yrs. or so since I traded off my 'Mosa II but I'm anxious to build my new one as soon as I finish covering the "Wild Thing" I built a year ago Don't know why I waited so long to get another 'Mosa II as I loved flying the first one so much
The 3 things I recall having issues with was the soft motor mount stick & the foam getting soft where the aileron control horns mounted. I eventually epoxied a 1/4" plywood mount to the nose to mount a motor. The ailerons required cutting out the soft foam and gluing in a piece of balsa that I then sanded to it's final shape & then mounting the control horns again. Also the landing gear needing stiffening using a thicker wire but that was easy enough to do. I didn't use the battery cover the first time but I liked the suggestion earlier about placing the lipo under the canopy so I think I'll try doing something like that. Hopefully the nose cowl is made of thicker material now as I went thru 3 before I got one that didn't blow/rip apart after a flight or two.
Think I'll put the "Wild Thing" back in it's rack & go ahead and do a quick build of the 'Mosa II vII

Standing By,
SJ
Hi SJ and Hawk This Video is for you Guys, Enjoy, Chellie

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iohEBgpAnfo[/media]
Old 04-04-2013, 12:29 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Chellie,

Here's thank you # 1768. That's awesome !

-Hawk
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

TopSpin/Slow John,

How's your build coming?

I'm about 1/2 way through. Have not glued the two fuse halves together until I have everything figured out. Running the servo rods and drying fitting. Making sure the hold down screws for the wing work corectly, etc. Mounted the elevator and rudder servos. Epoxy moment tomorrow. Not sure about the hinges for the elevator and wings. Looking for them in the parts bag.

Had one calamity. One of my dogs found the hatch for the lipo on the floor and chewed it up. Bad dog ! It must have fell off my desk. I was just getting ready to paint it and add hinges and a magnet. Turns out the bottom hatch cover has a near perfect curvature and I'll cut it to fit. For the bottom hatch cover, since there's really nothing to mount in there anyway, I'll just close it off with some 6mm depron I have laying around. It's be my reserve fuel tank. Suppose I could add a second lipo and run them in parallel for more flight time. Naw. Or run to (2) 2S's in series and make it a 4S setup. Maybe.

Hopefully, I'll get more done tomorrow before I leave for Vegas on Monday.

Cheers,

Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 04-07-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Wait'in on ya'll,,,
bubsteve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_436.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	167660   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0891.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	167661   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0927.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	167662   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0926.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	167663   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0928.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	167664  

Old 04-07-2013, 03:47 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

bubsteve,

Thanks for the pics. Inspires me to complete. Mine won't be as purdy as yours.

Just got back from my favorite tool store- Harbor Freight. Needed a new wire cutter. I could hang out there all day and not get bored. Kind of a "Tim the Toolman Taylor " moment.

-Hawk
Old 04-07-2013, 04:15 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I get the same way in Grainger and company CC!

I got a little 2836-1200 to revamp my mosa'

cr
Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
bubsteve,

Thanks for the pics. Inspires me to complete. Mine won't be as purdy as yours.

Just got back from my favorite tool store- Harbor Freight. Needed a new wire cutter. I could hang out there all day and not get bored. Kind of a "Tim the Toolman Taylor " moment.

-Hawk
Mossa fly-by
bubsteve

Name:	SAM_0920.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	167666  
Old 04-07-2013, 11:57 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Once I'm done with this build, I think I'll have a few Mo-mosa's ! Whew.

Got as far as I wanted to get today. Fuse is closed-up and epoxied. CF rod for wing epoxied-in. Carved and fitted aileron servos. Won't glue em in till I turn them on. Wing connector plate and fuse receiver plate epoxied-in. Carved small channel for lights running out to the wing tips. Spray painted cowl.

No more work on the Mosa till I get home from Vegas. Need to figure out the hinges. Not really sure what they look like in the kit. Can't seem to find anything that looks like a hinge. Might just go get some disc-type CA hinges at the LHS. Will work on hinged top hatch for battery using the little Dubro hinges on one side and a magnet on the other. Going to use cf in the tail versus the 80mm wire. Will work on motor mount set-up when I get back She's a hoss. 5.4 oz. / 920KV / 570 watts. Probably won't be tail heavy -LOL but might pull this plane apart.

A couple of weeks away.

-Hawk

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday !

-Hawk
Old 04-08-2013, 01:29 PM
LPatrick

Three flights so far. Very, very solid performance; tracks well, excellent slow flight characteristics, stall behavior is all one can ask for - simply drops wings level.

The gear first landing broke out the starboard gear assembly on a relatively smooth grass landing, so I made a few small lateral tunnels into the foam in the wheel pocket, coated the whole pocket with white Gorilla Glue (liberally), wet the wood blocking, clamped the gear assembly into the pocket, and watched the glue expand and encapsulate the wooden mounts.

Second flight great, smooth landing. Third flight plopped it in and out came the left gear assembly, but the right held solid. Same repair scheme on the left.

The E-flight 480 motor, 30 amp ESC, 3s 2200 Lipo, and 11x6 prop is a good combination on this 34 oz (all up) aircraft.

Report will continue
Old 04-08-2013, 01:51 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

LPatrick,

Thanks for the report. Any pics or vids to share?

-Hawk
Old 04-08-2013, 10:34 PM
LPatrick

I will try to get pics shortly and post them. Seems to me that the challenge is to get the wood blocks integrated thoroughly into the mounting sockets (epoxy won't do it). After that is accomplished some reasonably strong aluminum struts, firmly affixed, plus some DuBro low bounce wheels, may just fix the problem. The Gorilla Glue wedges the wood blocks in and can, in fact somewhat encapsulate them.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Hi everyone,
I finally got a few minutes to open up the 'Mosa II this afternoon. At first glance I'm disappointed The cowl will have to be made like the one in the video that Chellie posted (Thanks Chellie). One side of the cowl is so much thinner than the other side that it's almost transparent
About a minute or so after I opened the package a gust of wind blew the cowl off my build table & it landed in a trash can about 4' away I thought to myself that it was a sign but of what I'm not sure but I did get a good laugh out of it thinking it was too bad that I wasn't doing a video. Who would've thought something like that would happen
Also all but one of the locator tabs on the fuselage are smashed and pointed in different directions. Both wing flairs are smashed hard & curled upwards & in towards the fuselage sides. The bottom side of the wing is a Grayish color in a large spot & a few smaller areas too. Looks like a pencil sharpener was dumped on it and then rubbed in
One item that caused some if not most of the damage is the bag it came in is just too small IMO & it even had a 3" rip in the bag.
I was really hoping that GWS had gotten their act together but I have to say I'm very dissappointed
I'm thinking I'll order a set of those electric retracts & a motor that's a tad more powerful than I had originally planned on using so it'll probably be a few more weeks before I start on mine
Maybe by then all the craziness will have run it's course around here.

Standing By,
SJ

Last edited by Slowjohn; 04-10-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 04-10-2013, 12:44 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

John, mine was the same,, I threw a hissy-fit an they sent me a new one,,, bubsteve

Name:	DSCF0167.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	167701   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 407.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	167702  
Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

SJ,

Yes, my expectations were higher too. Kind of a cheapie kit. But once you get into the build, it's not too bad. Might even find a cowl at the LHS that will fit. Spares are available from headsuprc for about $3.00. Could go that route considering shipping is only $2.00

On the LG, I had a set of oleo strut servoless retracts I could have used but I don't believe the legs would be long enough for decent prop and grass clearance. I guess I could be the designated field mower. Instead , I'm going with a custom set designed and built by our very own Chellie. Hope to get back to the build on Friday. The biggest hurdle for me is properly attaching the alierons and elevator. Easy to screw it up. My motor is overkill but more is better, right?

Keep us posted !

-Hawk
Old 04-11-2013, 09:06 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
Hi everyone,
I finally got a few minutes to open up the 'Mosa II this afternoon. At first glance I'm disappointed The cowl will have to be made like the one in the video that Chellie posted (Thanks Chellie). One side of the cowl is so much thinner than the other side that it's almost transparent
About a minute or so after I opened the package a gust of wind blew the cowl off my build table & it landed in a trash can about 4' away I thought to myself that it was a sign but of what I'm not sure but I did get a good laugh out of it thinking it was too bad that I wasn't doing a video. Who would've thought something like that would happen
Also all but one of the locator tabs on the fuselage are smashed and pointed in different directions. Both wing flairs are smashed hard & curled upwards & in towards the fuselage sides. The bottom side of the wing is a Grayish color in a large spot & a few smaller areas too. Looks like a pencil sharpener was dumped on it and then rubbed in
One item that caused some if not most of the damage is the bag it came in is just too small IMO & it even had a 3" rip in the bag.
I was really hoping that GWS had gotten their act together but I have to say I'm very dissappointed
I'm thinking I'll order a set of those electric retracts & a motor that's a tad more powerful than I had originally planned on using so it'll probably be a few more weeks before I start on mine
Maybe by then all the craziness will have run it's course around here.

Standing By,
SJ
Hi SJ I hope that video works out well for you, I am Thinking about getting a Formosa 2 also, but it will be after I pay my taxes, I owe again Oh Well, Give to Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser Take care, Chellie

SJ,

Yes, my expectations were higher too. Kind of a cheapie kit. But once you get into the build, it's not too bad. Might even find a cowl at the LHS that will fit. Spares are available from headsuprc for about $3.00. Could go that route considering shipping is only $2.00

On the LG, I had a set of oleo strut servoless retracts I could have used but I don't believe the legs would be long enough for decent prop and grass clearance. I guess I could be the designated field mower. Instead , I'm going with a custom set designed and built by our very own Chellie. Hope to get back to the build on Friday. The biggest hurdle for me is properly attaching the alierons and elevator. Easy to screw it up. My motor is overkill but more is better, right?

Keep us posted !

-Hawk
Hi Hawk It looks like the Stupid Post Office lost your Landing Gear that I sent you Oh well, Sheet Happens I have another set Made up for you, Just have to cut out some wood tappered Brackets and I will send them again to you today, Thank Goodness The Post office does not loose more of my Mail Take care and Have fun, Chellie
Old 04-13-2013, 03:21 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi SJ I hope that video works out well for you, I am Thinking about getting a Formosa 2 also, but it will be after I pay my taxes, I owe again Oh Well, Give to Ceaser what belongs to Ceaser Take care, Chellie
Chellie, the 'Mosa II really is a pleasure to fly, allot of fun & a great "Grab & Go" model. I guess I've gotten use to the balsa planes that don't re-shape themselves as easily as the foam models do while awaiting their turns to fly

Taxes , our property taxes are due as well & our refund wasn't enough to cover them like it usually does
Guess what I need to do is to get out & fly no matter what. The winds have been the worst in recent memory & as I mentioned several post back about the craziness that's been going on so far this year. It's been so bad that my bestest FB & I haven't gotten a flight in so far this year. It's got to get better soon. Thank goodness we both have our little indoor flying stress relievers

Standing By,
SJ
Old 04-13-2013, 03:37 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Whew! Just filed an extension for the third year in a row. Probably owe again . Damn.

Made more progress on the Mosa build today. Motor mounted. Starting to come together. Still can't find the supplied hinges. So, I'll probably go with CA hinges. Debating about getting a special hinge slotting tool . Always a pain aligning. Hard to maintain CL. Made new top hatch after dog ate the first one. Hinged and will swivel. Made bottom hatch to enclose led lights receiver. Had a hatch cover I had made for a bashed Titan Air Hog glider that fit almost perfectly. Just going to tape it on.

More tomorrow

- Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 04-13-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:39 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Made alot of progress on the Mosa this weekend. Nice temps but too windy to fly, at least for me.

All servos are installed. Wing, elevator and rudder all hinged and put togerher.

Installed nav lights. Hey, had them laying around looking for a home.

Completed swiveling top hatch with 2 hinges and a magnet. Nice ease of access from the top. I'm lazy.

Motor installed. She's big. Will have to watch the throttle- Naw !

All horns installed. Used Dubro. The GWS horns are a POS.

Centered and tested servos. Not 100% comfortable with these servos. The Elevator & Rudder servos humm like digital types. Also seem a bit sluggish but maybe that's just my imagination. Not as robust as the aielron servos. Will look at the end points, especially for the elevator. Might need a little more up throw, but there's still room on the horn top bring it down a few notches. Those are very long and heavy rods from the servos back to the Rudder and Elevator.

All that's left is the LG, canopy, cowl, spinner and decals. Probably will not paint, at least for now. I'll just screw it up anyway. Will add some stripes of color tape on the bottom for some visbility and orientation. Will try to take some pics tomorrow before closing her up.

Okay, Here's a few more pics on my progress before I close-er up:

Inside the belly. 9g servos, 2mm rods , frysky fasst rx

Bottom side with LED wiring

Top view . Canopy, Cowl, spinner and prop not yet installed

QUESTION: Do I need to include a few degrees of down thrust ? Looking at my motor setup, it's pretty much straight line.

Getting closer. Will clean her up, install the canopy ( Was thinking about painting a control panel.- Naw) and cowl (PITA). Control surfaces are dialed-in aleady. Lat will be the LG and decals. Then, I'll be looking for a good day to maiden.

Have a good one !

-Hawk

Last edited by dahawk; 04-15-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:13 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Made alot of progress on the Mosa this weekend. Nice temps but too windy to fly, at least for me.

All servos are installed. Wing, elevator and rudder all hinged and put togerher.

Installed nav lights. Hey, had them laying around looking for a home.

Completed swiveling top hatch with 2 hinges and a magnet. Nice ease of access from the top. I'm lazy.

Motor installed. She's big. Will have to watch the throttle- Naw !

All horns installed. Used Dubro. The GWS horns are a POS.

Centered and tested servos. Not 100% comfortable with these servos. The Elevator & Rudder servos humm like digital types. Also seem a bit sluggish but maybe that's just my imagination. Not as robust as the aielron servos. Will look at the end points, especially for the elevator. Might need a little more up throw, but there's still room on the horn top bring it down a few notches. Those are very long and heavy rods from the servos back to the Rudder and Elevator.

All that's left is the LG, canopy, cowl, spinner and decals. Probably will not paint, at least for now. I'll just screw it up anyway. Will add some stripes of color tape on the bottom for some visbility and orientation. Will try to take some pics tomorrow before closing her up.

Okay, Here's a few more pics on my progress before I close-er up:

Inside the belly. 9g servos, 2mm rods , frysky fasst rx

Bottom side with LED wiring

Top view . Canopy, Cowl, spinner and prop not yet installed

QUESTION: Do I need to include a few degrees of down thrust ? Looking at my motor setup, it's pretty much straight line.

Getting closer. Will clean her up, install the canopy ( Was thinking about painting a control panel.- Naw) and cowl (PITA). Control surfaces are dialed-in aleady. Lat will be the LG and decals. Then, I'll be looking for a good day to maiden.

Have a good one !

-Hawk
Hi Dave If you want a nice stable Flier, I would add a few degrees of down thrust, no right or left thrust for now, fly it with just a tad of down thrust, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Dave your plane is looking great, Your LG is Out for delivery today Take care and have fun, Chellie

Carrier:US Postal ServiceTracking number:9500110114483102440404Status: Out for Delivery
The shipment is out for delivery to its destination.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:23 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Pattern planes are generally zero zero on thrust lines. I didn't use any on mine or need it.

Mike
Old 04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

-Hawk
Eh? We need to wake you up earlier. I was at the 114th from 7:00 to 8:30 Saturday AM and it was stunning. Warm and not a breath of wind. I flew the Eraze and Four star both.

Mike

Quick Reply: EPO Formosa II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.19590 seconds with 19 queries