Pattern aircraft Discuss electric powered pattern aircraft in here

Samba experience.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Default Samba experience.

I just got a Samba from nesail.
http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=3245
Seems to be a very well constructed ARF with quality covering. I will probably start assembly this wekend. I am going to power it with a Hyperion 3025 8T motor. Does any one have experience with this plane and any suggested mods while I am putting it together? I will post pics of the assembly, if any one is interested.

Doug
Old 08-28-2005, 03:28 AM
UpToIt

Thumbs up Samba was great!

I got my Samba about 4 months ago and really enjoyed this great flying plane. Unfortunately, it just met it's demise last weekend.....pilot error.

My recollection of the build was that it presented only a couple of small challenges. First was the necessity of cutting into the far rear of the fuselage with an x-acto to make clearance for the large elevator surface. The elevator surfaces, joined by a cross member, had to be set back into the tail deep enough to prevent any conflict with the rudder throws. I made the rear of the horizontal stab/elevator slot into a Vee to allow plenty of room for the connecting cross member to move with the elevators. LN Models may have altered the ARF by now to eliminate this problem.

The second challenge was battery access. The little door accessible compartment on th bottom of the fuselage, immediately rearward of my spinner and firewall was crowded. It already contained the MPJet Ourtunner motor, and a Jeti 40 ESC. My brick 3s2P 5000 maH Lipo was a tight fit in the remaining space. I had to fabricate a shelf at the bottom of the compartment to rest the battery on which meant battery access ended up being from behind the compartment and required removing the wing. Since I was easily getting two 10 minute flights on the high capacity batteries, changes were minimized and the wing access was not too inconvenient.

Good luck on your build. The Samba was a fantastic flying plane and I hope my Stevens Aero G480 will match it when I get it completed.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:40 AM
Matt

I have been very pleased with my Samba. I went with the combo deal from NEsail and got the Phoenix 45 ESC and MPJet motor at the same time. She is a great flying plane. I like being able to slow down for a slow crawl down the runway.
I remember having to modify the tail end a bit also. I had to take a sizeable notch out of the wooden "rod" that connects the elevator halves together. Without the notch, I couldn't get much travel. The wood is a little thin in that area, but has proven strong enough.

It is a little tight up front. I stand my 3S3P 6AH Li-Po pack (three 3S Dymond RC 2AH packs) up so the longest edge is up/down. I put them in through the front hatch (don't have to remove the wing) and push them down and back. They hit against the wooden support underneath the canopy. I put some foam up against that support so the rounded edge of the support doesn't dig in only on the edges of the battery. I use vecro wrapped around the battery and wooden support to secure the battery.
The pack is fairly close to the rotating back side of the MPJet motor so I put a small rod across the back side of the motor (I expoxied the rod into the sides of the nose). That way if the velcro lets the battery pack slide forward at all, I don't get by batteries chewed apart by those bolts on the back of the motor. Even with the 6AH batteries that close to the motor I needed a little weight to balance it at the suggested CG. I think I can remove some of that weight and still have a well behaved plane.
Here is a video of the Maiden Flight (about two months ago).
http://kahuna.sdsu.edu/~tucker/airplanes/samba_video_web.wmv
Matt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Samba_motor_battery.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1050   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_samba_wing_mount.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samba_low_flying_closeup.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Samba_banking.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1053  
Old 08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
UpToIt

Default Great Samba Video

Thanks for sharing that video.....it reminded me of what a great flying plane the Samba is. I may have to go for a replacement from NE Sailplanes soon. Excellent video editing also. That slow motion fly by was spectacular and extremely sharp so some credit goes to the camera man too.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:24 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Yeah that was GOOD stuff Matt! Only hope that I can fly mine half as good.I finished the wing last night and am going to start on the fuselage tonight.

Doug
Old 08-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Matt

Thanks for the kind words. I will pass the compliments on to my camera man. Paul does a great job.
There was a review of the Samba in the October issue of Model Airplane News (came in the mail about a week ago). The cover of the issue is attached. The reviewer also mentioned having to modify the spruce elevator joiner as well as one other modification to the tail section.
Good luck Unbalanced prop.
Matt

Name:	model_airplane_news.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1092  
Old 08-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

If anyone is interested, I have a new unbuilt Samba I would like to sell. Decided to go with a much bigger plane. Need to sell to fund the new project. Anyone interested can PM me. Would like to get $150.00 plus actual shipping charges for it. Thats less then the NES sale price.

Gerald
Old 09-11-2005, 09:54 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Well.......the maiden went quite well. I put four flights on it of 12 to 15 minutes per flight. It has pretty much unlimited vertical with the 3025 8T. Flys very smoothly and tracks great. Now if I can just get better at my piloting skills.

These old eyes were having a hard time with orientation, so I added a bright yellow stripe on the top of the wings.

Doug

Name:	Im001041.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1472  
Old 09-12-2005, 02:24 AM
UpToIt

Looks great Doug. Is that yellow stripe enough? I had to add checkerboard to the bottom of my wing to help me keep the orientation. I used red but if I was doing it over I would have used white checkerboard on the blue leading edge.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:56 AM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Originally Posted by UpToIt
Looks great Doug. Is that yellow stripe enough? I had to add checkerboard to the bottom of my wing to help me keep the orientation. I used red but if I was doing it over I would have used white checkerboard on the blue leading edge.
The yellow stripe helps a lot, but I was also thinking of some checkerboard on the bottom. The white on the blue leading edge sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Doug
Old 09-12-2005, 11:32 PM
Matt

She looks good Doug. I don't have too much trouble with orientation, but I do like the white checker board on the blue leading edge idea. I bought some yellow flames for the leading edge, but they are a little long for that edge.
I like your non-stock wide landing gear. I think that helps with orientation also.
After a hard landing (controlled crash?), I had to replace my wheel assemblies. I used Dave Brown Lectra Lite 2.25" wheels. They take a 1/8" brass tube for the bearing perfectly. They are much more sturdy than my original setup.
Happy flying,
Matt
Old 09-13-2005, 02:37 AM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Originally Posted by Matt
I like your non-stock wide landing gear. I think that helps with orientation also.
Thanks Matt. The landing gear is carbon fiber and is very strong. I mount it with two 10/32 nylon bolts. The theory is In a hard landing the bolts are suppose to break and leave the fuselage in one piece. It has worked that way on a Sig LT-25 I fly. Hope I never find out how well it works on the Samba.

Doug
Old 01-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Twin Cessna

I just found this site and it is great. I finished my samba a while back but I reloated the servos (after the photo was taken) in the fuse above the wing. With the servos in the stock location it needed 5 oz of nose weight. I have a Astro 806G powering it with a TP-6000 3s3p. Great plane with 490 watts and it is fun to fly.

Name:	Samba-1 (676 x 507).jpg
Views:	229
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	6734  

Last edited by Twin Cessna; 01-29-2006 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:14 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Twin............Nice Samba!! I like the canopy, what did you use to tint it??

Doug
Old 01-29-2006, 10:04 PM
Twin Cessna

Doug. Thanks for the kind words. I used a can of spray smoke color tint that the car guys use. You can have it light or as dark as you like it by the number of coats that is sprayed on it.
Ware did you find the carbon gear for yours? Jim
Old 01-30-2006, 12:56 AM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Twin...........Thanks for the tint info. I got the landing gear at this place. Good place to get carbon gear. I have purchased from the several times with good service and high quality products.

http://www.graphtechrc.com/default.asp

Doug
Old 01-30-2006, 02:17 AM
Twin Cessna

Doug,I looked up the tint for you, and thanks for the carbon link. Jim

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFFV0&P=0
Old 01-30-2006, 02:40 AM
UpToIt

Northeast Sailplanes also stocks the CF Landing Gears. The large 24.5cm fits the Samba perfectly.

http://www.nesail.com/detail.php?productID=2974
Old 01-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Twin Cessna

Thanks boby for the info. When I purchased the plane I thought it would have the CF gear with it like the picture in the add.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:08 AM
UpToIt

Twin,
I agree that NSP photo in all the ads tends to lead you to believe the CF gear comes with the plane. I too was disappointed but flew it with wire gears for a little while and then ordered the CF gear which really improved ground handling because of the wider stance. Be warned that the axles do not come with the CF gears. I found some at the local hobby store packaged by Dubro that fit the wheels supplied with the Samba.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:17 AM
Twin Cessna

Boby, Thanks for the heads up on the axles.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 PM
Twin Cessna

Will someone on this tread look at your Samba manual and let me know what the CG locations are for the plane? I had mine apart checking things out and replaced the reciever and I can not find my manual yet to check the CG.
I just love moving. Thanks
Old 02-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Originally Posted by Twin Cessna View Post
Doug, Will you look at your Samba manual and let me know what the CG locations are for the plane? I had mine apart checking things out and replaced the reciever and I can not find my manual yet. I just love oving. Thanks
No problem twin, but I am at "work" right now. I'll look them up when I get home.

Doug
Old 02-01-2006, 05:56 PM
Twin Cessna

Thanks Doug for taking the time to get the info. I think it is around 4" but I want to be sure.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:33 AM
Unbalanced prop
Watt, No fuel?

Twin...........sorry it took so long but I got side tracked. The manual says to set the CG between 3 1/2 and 4 inches. It has been awhile since I flew mine, but if I remember right I was flying mine at about 4 1/4 inches.

Doug

Quick Reply: Samba experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13882 seconds with 20 queries