ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Default NeuMotors coaxial contrarotating

See
NeuMotors discussion thread - RCG

Old 09-12-2016, 01:16 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Makes me wonder if they can be used for something else outside the box like a wheel chair or 4-wheel drive go-cart.

Do they have Continuous Ratings?
Old 09-12-2016, 04:58 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dereckbc View Post
Makes me wonder if they can be used for something else outside the box like a wheel chair or 4-wheel drive go-cart.

Do they have Continuous Ratings?
My wife has a electric three wheel scooter to get around when we go to large events.

The motor and drive train in that unit is totally enclosed for protection against rain, mud, dust and the like.

Also not certain how our brushless motors would be affected by little or no air-cooling. Interesting idea though, I suspect you'd get more range with a brushless motor.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:10 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Also not certain how our brushless motors would be affected by little or no air-cooling.
They would burn up very quickly.

I have another expensive hobby, golf and building race golf carts. I have built three of my own and have helped a few friends out. Even tinker around with DIY EV's. Today;s trend and likely to continue is using 3-phase Induction Motors. Very similar to what is used in RC planes. The motor I use a lot of is HPEV AC15 motor. Depending on Battery Voltage 36-96 volts, Controller size 300 to 650 amps, ventilation or liquid cooled continuous HP is rated from 4 to 16. Want water cooled and you double the continuous HP Now where the real magic of electric motors is Peak HP. That same AC15 motor with my 96 volt battery and 650 amp controller peaks at roughly 80 Hp or 80 ft-pounds of torque at 5220 RPMs. I run 16 Hp at 8000 RPM and have a 70 mph golf cart that can hit 60 mph in 7 seconds smoking tires.

With the way mine is set up 16 HP does not sound like much. However it would take an 80 HP gas engine to equal my 16.

What made me ask is the motors look a lot like PMAG motors used for Motor Cycles, E-Bikes, and small Racing Go-Cart Motors. Basically scaled down air-cooled EV motors.

Now as far as RC Planes go I can really see some potential of course in multi-rotor aircraft. I also can see the coaxial used in a 3D Plane with a big ole draggy tail. Would make Hoovering effortless. Just stand it on its tail and use the throttle to control vertical speed and not much need for elevators or aileron corrections.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I looked into the idea of a powered wheelchair with a brushless motor for my cousin.

I was told that it should be a sensored type motor like used in some RC trucks and rockcrawlers, as that type of motor will start without a jerk into too high a speed.

Apparently the sensored will start turning very slowly, this may or may not be necessary for your use.

There are some huge brushless motors even in the hobby field. Hacker has a 15,000 watt motor, that is 20 HP!!! I have gone 60 MPH in a 12 HP go-cart. I considered buying a Moni ARV (air recreation vehicle) and it only had a 22 HP Sachs engine, yet would fly me at 80 cruise, and 120 flat out.

My friend has a brushless bicycle, although I haven't looked at the motor yet.

I think if we didn't push the power of a motor very hard, it wouldn't get hot enough to worry about. A wheelchair is a lot different than a racing golf-cart. Most non race electric motors allowed to run close to their comfort RPM don't generate a lot of heat, run them over-loaded or bogged down and they will get hot fast.

Maybe use a blower and filter the air to keep it cool.

I'm thinking about mounting my Power 180 BL motor on my bicycle with an air prop, should work ok and keep me cool also. When I was about 18, I mounted 2 60 size nitro engines on a 10 speed bike, they got me up to about 70 MPH, then my mom saw me and that was the end of that!!!
Old 09-12-2016, 11:46 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Don't really think you have to worry about A motor jumping to high on a wheel chair. A prop is one thing as the only load is air, not a direct connection to the Drive system. Other thing is gear ratio, 1000 RPM would be a crawl, and there is no way the motor has enough torque to ramp up to 1000 RPM instantly.

You would have to have some ventilation which means noisy fans on a wheel chair. I don't think so, at least not me. For wheel Chairs nothing better than a good ole fashion series would Brushed Motor, good torque, easy and cheap to control. and lots of 12 volt motors to choose from in the 500 watt range for a wheel chair motor and almost impossible to over speed no matter how hard you try. Anyway that is another subject.

Still interested in learning more about the motors the OP shared. Would love to see the Power, RPM, Torque curves with Electrical Specs.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:48 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

A few years ago, Hobbyking had about 3-4 motors of this type. I almost bought one.

Now it seems they have dropped all of them.