Pattern aircraft Discuss electric powered pattern aircraft in here

direct connections tsunami

Old 12-01-2006, 02:17 AM
texas

Default direct connections tsunami

Has any one ever converted a tsunami to electric? I have had a kit for many years and may make it a project.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:10 AM
feathermerchant

I have the DC Sea Fury kit. Is it similar? I have seen the sea fury fly and it flies great electric.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:34 AM
doxilia

Default Tsunami

Originally Posted by texas View Post
Has any one ever converted a tsunami to electric? I have had a kit for many years and may make it a project.
Not yet... I began building this model 11 years ago, left it in its current state (it had less hangar rash at the time) and recently decided to finish it. I'm considering using electric but I had set it up for glow at the time and the model, as designed, does not really provide for an easy way to swap battery packs. I suppose a hatch could be made out of the nose bottom but you'd have to plan for this before starting the build. The fuse structure is very light and there is little support for potential hatches.

Still... I'd like to see a Tsunami on electric. Beautiful plane! I've heard some comments about strange yaw control due to the angled rudder hinge line... we'll find out soon enough!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	76595   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	76596   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	76597  
Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 PM
texas

Yeah, thats the plane, have not built it yet. I've had this kit for at least 14 years. Some day I will build it as electric. Its a beautiful plane. Let me know if you finish in electric and good luck with it.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:07 AM
doxilia

Hey Texas,

glad you're back on the thread. You must have bought your kit back in '94. I got mine in '96 and pretty much brought it to the state you see in the first two pictures. Friday, I got back on to it after working on some other projects. I'm going to try and finish it before month's end as I want to get started on a scratch built electric 20 size (48" span) Tiporare (that I've dubbed the Nanorare). If you're interested in those plans check the classic pattern forum on RCU.

Re electric, if you can figure out a convenient way, more power to you. I decided to stick to glow since I have the engine and the fuse is already essentially built. I would recommend that you either make a hatch out of the nose bottom, or better yet, out of the canopy area. The nose is built such that it is rather tricky to built access into it (you'll have fun with F2...). More importantly, access to the motor is the real issue. In principle you don't want a huge gash on the nose bottom to install the motor but without it, access to the motor/engine area is virtually nil. The only other option would be to install the motor as you build and it would then essentially be locked in place and maintenance would be limited to access through the nose ring - removing the motor would probably not be possible under this scenario.

But... if there's a will there's a way. Maybe you could make a motor access hole in the bottom and a hatch out of the canopy/fuse top... yea, that's how I would go about it. I would power it with a high kV motor since prop size is somewhat limited (10" max). Probably something along the lines of 750W, 4S if you can.

I've also considered making a foam core wing for it and install mechanical retracts - maybe some day.

I've started a build thread on RCU in the classic pattern forum if you're interested. Maybe this will provide the necessary inspiration to get your started!

Cheers, David.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 AM
doxilia

I'm afraid she didn't end up e-powered but there she is! (Hopefully I won't get thrown off this forum by posting photos with a glow engine...)

Looking forward to seeing some others!

David.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0272.JPG
Views:	463
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	92923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.JPG
Views:	466
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	92924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	92925   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.JPG
Views:	480
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	92926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0325.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	92927  

Old 03-07-2009, 03:12 PM
vonJaerschky
The Hun in the Sun

I had one of these back in the late 90's, too. I remember it was a great flying airplane. I had a Webra Speed .40 with a tuned pipe on it. I've just ordered another from Juno R/C and plan on electrifying it. I think it's the perfect conversion airplane because it is already a nice light weight design. I'll see if I can shave a few more ounces off the airframe somehow.
Old 06-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Evengers

I've started a build thread on RCU in the classic pattern forum if you're interested. Maybe this will provide the necessary inspiration to get your started!

Cheers, David.[/QUOTE]

Hi David, I know this is a very old message thread but are those plans still available somehow?

Thanks!