Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Reload this Page >

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 09-06-2021, 11:51 AM
JohnMac

Hi Wattflyers,
I am John from the UK. I hope to learn some new stuff about electric flight. I am not new to Electric flight as I started in the 1980's. In fact I had a dabble with a thing called a hummingbird in the late 1970's but the less said about that, the better.
Then again, every day is a school day and every opportunity to learn is one worth taking, so here I am.
I look forward to chatting with you guys.
John
Old 09-06-2021, 12:07 PM
The Professor
Professional Nerd

Default Hi John

I am also a fellow Brit..... Nice to meet you, and welcome to the group. I am a complete newbie to this plane thing, have built one, and just started my next project.......
Old 09-06-2021, 01:01 PM
JohnMac

Hello again professor,
Fancy meeting you here. We met last Thursday evening at the West Yorkshire MFC meeting.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:13 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
Hi Wattflyers,
I am John from the UK. I hope to learn some new stuff about electric flight. I am not new to Electric flight as I started in the 1980's. In fact I had a dabble with a thing called a hummingbird in the late 1970's but the less said about that, the better.
Then again, every day is a school day and every opportunity to learn is one worth taking, so here I am.
I look forward to chatting with you guys.
John
Hello John and welcome to Wattflyer. There is a wealth of information in the archived threads that cover almost any topic. Keep us up to date on what you are doing in the electric flying world.
Old 09-06-2021, 07:04 PM
JohnMac

Hi Rabbitcreekok,
Thank you for the welcome. At the moment I am putting the finishing touches to a FW Models 1:4 scale Libelle glider. It is 4.4 metres in span and is almost entirely carbon. For power it has a Jetec E80 on a 8s 5000mAh battery. The model has flown but there was no scale cockpit in it, so that is what I am doing now.
Here a short video of it on its 3rd flight in May. Sorry, it's on a different forum:
and someone else's model slope soaring:
Another project, is me getting back to sorting out my Hangar 9 30cc Spitfire. I bought this kit and the recomended eflight motor and its flown on a 10S battery. However, I always had a nagging doubt about the suitability of this motor for the model. Running the numbers through ecalc suggest that I have reason to be doubtful. Currently I am considering 3 possible replacement motors: the Hacker A80, the Axi 5345 or the very expensive the Axi 8120. I also plan to go to 12S as I have several other models that takes 6S or 12s battery.
I need to sort out a better 4 output mains / 12V charger as well though, as the Radient unit I bought has left me dissatisfied, particularly it's balancing and storage program capability.
John
Old 09-08-2021, 12:52 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome to the site!
Old 09-11-2021, 03:52 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Thanks for posting the videos, John. That Jetec E80 seems quite nice for powering the glider. It pops up and down quickly and it actually sounds like a turbine in flight.