Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here! - Page 11 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Old 02-07-2006, 04:00 AM
jcc_az

I'm picking up a hopped up Slow Stick tomorrow. The Slo V just doesn't cut it.
I'm already thinking about an aileron trainer and aerial photography, but then, I'm getting way ahead of myself.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:01 AM
NipponDave

Default Hello From "Nippon Dave"

Hi Everybody,

I've just registered on WattFlyer, and am here to say... "Hi!"

I'm looking forward to a great education at WattFlyer Eflight University.

And congratulations to the WattFlyer team for presenting such an excellent, commercial-free site!

Best Regards,

David Radford
Owner, AIR CRAFT (Japan)
www.aircraft-world.com
Old 02-09-2006, 12:05 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Welcome David! It's great to see another long time believer and supporter of e-flight joining the fold!!
Old 02-09-2006, 08:14 PM
AtomHeartMother
Blue Collar Flyer

Just found this e-forum. Hello to all and Shine On !
Old 02-10-2006, 03:17 AM
QuietRCFly

Hi!

While I have been a member for a while I have not posted before. I am starting a new on-line hobby shop at www.quietrcflying.com . I still need to get the shopping cart software running but I do have products available for sale now. I carry Hyperion, 3DFoamy, Hitec and a little GWS among others. If you have an interest you can e-mail of PM me for a quote and pay with PayPal. Before long you will be able to purchase with a credit card directly on my site. If you were at the NW Hobby Expo, you might have seen my booth. Thanks for coming by!

I hope to be an active part of this group, not just for sales, as I enjoy flying electrics!!

Fly On!
Old 02-10-2006, 03:54 AM
dennismadamsrc
dennismadamsrc

Cool looking real good,, "Katan mini"

just finished my new katana mini, have a nipper black with a phoenix-35 and a couple of tp 2100's and a new litestorm 1500 20c. It weights in at 25 oz. hope the weather will be OK saterday for the maiden flights
Old 02-10-2006, 04:08 AM
QuietRCFly

Originally Posted by dennismadamsrc View Post
just finished my new katana mini, have a nipper black with a phoenix-35 and a couple of tp 2100's and a new litestorm 1500 20c. It weights in at 25 oz. hope the weather will be OK saterday for the maiden flights
Do you have any pictures?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:07 AM
sennottjb
John S

I have spent the last two years educating myself on the various aspects of electric flying and still feel that I am new at this. This site has answers to many of my questions as I am in the process of converting my gas models to electric. Outrunner motors and Li0po batteries make this process doable. Thanks.........John
Old 02-12-2006, 12:19 AM
chispas

Smile

Hello to all.

Great site.

Continue with the good work.

Chispas
Old 02-12-2006, 12:26 AM
Twmaster

Welcome aboard chispas!

Whatcha flyin?

Old 02-12-2006, 01:17 AM
chispas

Hi . I have an fleet of old Kyosho models and some of other manufacturers:

Kyosho Cessna 177 GP electrified, Hi-Speed 20 2.38:1, 9x6 6X3000Cells-1360grs AUW 1.20m Wing
Kyosho p-51 foamie, Hi-Speed 16 2.92:1, 9x6 8X1250Nicad-1250grs, 1.0m Wing
Kyosho Valencia moto-sailplane, Hi Speed 20 2.92:1 9x6 8X1250Nicad- 1460grs, 1.78m Wing
Kyosho PT-19 50C, Kontronic 500/27 5.2:1, 13x10 12X3000Cells or 4 Lipos 2500x2, 2750grs, 1.585m Wing
FVK Silent Dream sailplane, Kyosho Endoplasma 4.4:1, 14x9.5, 7x1250Nicad-1350grs, 2.5m Wing
Graupner Cumulus 2000 sailplane, Speed 480 3.45:1, 7x1100Nimh 11x8-895grs, 1.87m Wing
Kyosho Viento sailplane, Hi Speed 15 3:1, 6x1300Nimh-1130grs, 192m Wing
Kavan Projeti, AP-29 5x5 7x1100Nih, 600grs, 0.8m wing
ParkFlyer F-27 modified, Mega 16/25/3 7x6, 2/3 Lipo 845grs, o.95m wing
SkyKat, AXI 2820-10 11X8- 8x3000Nimh, 1520grs, 1.1m wing

This are only some. I get some Lipos from FlightPower and are starting to use them. I also purchased an balancer from them and an charger proPeak Prodigy II.
What do you think about it?

Thanks to all
Chispas
Old 02-12-2006, 04:27 AM
G_Countryman
Wiz 40

I gotta problem....First of all I bought a Magister. Second of all I bought the flight pack. Third I flew the airplane, and fell in love with it, and as some of us know when you fall in love you get hurt, well I got hurt. During the third flight the plane was flying just nicely when suddenly it dove into the ground. The propeller shaft from the reduction gear got bent (not the worst of the problem) because when I got it home and on the bench, upon removing the reduction gear, I discovered the spur gear was completely stripped, and looked like a brass spacer instead of a gear.
Now the question is: did I not do something right, or did I actually do something wrong. I really do not want to buy a new reduction gear or spur gear until I can be relatively sure that this is not a recurring problem.

I will appreciate any safe and sane suggestions on how to fix this, I really want to fly the plane again, I kind of like the way it handles. I bought the kit, and also purchased the flight pack, and I am using CBP 3300 maH battery packs. Thanks for your advise in advance. I have been flying electrics for three years now, and nitro for five before I saw the light.
Gary
Old 02-12-2006, 06:21 AM
Duster52

From what you posted, there is no way to know what happened. How fast were you flying? Was the plane level at the time? Did the motor quit? What kind of wind were you flying in?

Are you new at flying? If so, this is a common problem when learning. You could have been a little too slow and just stalled straight forward. To prevent that you have to keep the air speed up. It is easy to do a lot of turning and climbing and not realize you are loosing airspeed. Especially on these heavier planes.

If it is gusting winds, it is possible for a sudden gust to pitch the plane downward. The only way around this is to avoid flying in gusty conditions until you have more experience which will allow you to react faster.

If flying too slow and you get a sudden gust from the rear, it will be the same effect as loosing all your lift. You have heard of wind shear with full scale airliners causing them to just fall into the ground killing everyone on board.

Don't give up. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:52 PM
tjt

Just to let all of you know that I feel lucky to have "accidentally" found this wonderful web site - I am more of a "lurker" than a poster, but that is how I learn. I am in the process of trying to get my two son's ( ages 12 and 6 ) interested in my hobby!
tjt
Old 02-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

Glad to have ya posting also tjt
Old 02-12-2006, 09:55 PM
dennismadamsrc
dennismadamsrc

Default first flight, Katana Mini

well the wind was'nt tooooo bad yesterday so i flew the Katana. every thing was OK till the firewall broke. now i need a new cowling. But on the good side, the nipper black 25/10/114 has more than enough power. I think on the next flight i will move the CG back cuz i think it needs more elevator authority

sorry, still need to figure out how to post the pic's
Old 02-13-2006, 09:19 AM
TeslaWinger

GC sorry to hear of your loss. It could have been a lot of things.

I had total receiver failure once and it just went straight down. I was using drycells in the airborne pack and one may have come loose. Very final- but that was a special case from the old days I haven't seen since.

But flying downwind can cause something similar. It seems to be moving fast and raising the nose stalls it totally and down she goes in a big way. It is an illusion that cost me dearly long ago with a slimer powered 2 meter glider on a windy spring morning.

The very best time for a new flyer is in no wind. No turbulence, no extra layer of complexity to interpret. Hard to find this time of yr in the Northern Hemi! First learn to fly the plane- then the wind. With all the sims available its possible to get some serious reflexes and 'airtime' to eliminate any weakness in the skills and perceptions.

Aside from total radio failure its impossible to figure out from the description just what the cause was. A careful range test (with the transmitter antenna down) at varying throttle speeds (3/4 throttle is especially noisy) is a good way to be sure its not a radio problem.

Going brushless at this point might help in several ways. A brushed geared replacement cost goes a long way towards a better less electrically noisy bl alternative- even tho the motor may not have been a factor in the crash. Does your motor have noise-cancelling capacitors mounted on it?

Good luck. Some things are easier to fix than others. The ones you can't quite put a finger on are the hardest of all. All my radio gear has been very reliable aside from the rare (and often well earned) busted servo.

We have more than our share of mysteries in R/C compared to many other sports but when it all comes together it can be a lot of fun.
TW
Old 02-14-2006, 01:40 AM
captnal

Default Katana Mini

Originally Posted by dennismadamsrc View Post
well the wind was'nt tooooo bad yesterday so i flew the Katana. every thing was OK till the firewall broke. now i need a new cowling. But on the good side, the nipper black 25/10/114 has more than enough power. I think on the next flight i will move the CG back cuz i think it needs more elevator authority

sorry, still need to figure out how to post the pic's
Hi, I am new to this site and electrics. I also have a Katana Mini (almost finished). Mounted a Hacker A30-28 with a Hacker X30 ESC. Followed "Fishdeths" string on the RC Universe site. I believe the general conclusion was that 88mm back from the leading edge is the planes sweetspot.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:32 AM
dennismadamsrc
dennismadamsrc

hummmmm, I flew my Katana at 98mm and it still "SEEMED" lick it was noes heavy (would not waterfall).
Anyway, i put all the pieces of the cowling back together, so it can fly for now, as Atlanta hobby is out of new ones.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:33 AM
dennismadamsrc
dennismadamsrc

wow, i got to read this stuff before i post it, turns out i cant spell or type
Old 02-15-2006, 01:24 AM
TeslaWinger

You're doing fine, Dennis. Life is short- WRITE FAST!
Old 02-15-2006, 05:00 AM
Ira

Default First Electric

Hey Guys Just finished my first electric bird, a Magpie AP, AXI 2808/24. Waiting for a day off with good weather,(might be a while around here) to fly. Got to admit being plesantly suprised at how much power the motor has on the bench. Got me thinking about giving up nitro.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:03 PM
Dale Case

Hello to all. Just joined Wattflyer. This looks to be another great resource for those involved in electric flight. And I see some familiar names from RC Groups, too.

Regards,

Dale Case
Old 02-16-2006, 02:10 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

WQelcome Ira, Dale it's great to see you starting to post here also!
Old 02-18-2006, 02:01 PM
DavidT

Hi guys. Ron Evans drew my attention to this site so I thought I would have a look and say 'hello'.
David.

Quick Reply: Welcome New Members to Wattflyer - We ONLY do electric flight here!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10434 seconds with 11 queries