Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Swing Wing F-111 Aardvark project

Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 AM
raptor-9
Life is NOW

Chellie-
Great work! keep it up. i'm also excited to see how the spring tension method works.
R-9.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:49 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Default F111 Build

Hi everyone I Did a little more work on the jet, I just need to install 2 servos, the motor and ck balance, I may even paint it I was thinking about desert storm camo colors, it should be interesting ,what it will do with the automatic Swing Wing device, still waiting for my camera to come in so i can take some video of the wings, here are a few more pics, Enjoy, Chellie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ALLMOSTDONE.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	25598   Click image for larger version

Name:	ALLMOSTDONE2.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	25599   Click image for larger version

Name:	ALLMOSTDONE3.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	25600  
Old 03-04-2007, 12:05 PM
raptor-9
Life is NOW

OK Chellie;
Is that 6mm depron that you're using;& 5mm carbon rod on the L.E.
R-9.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:33 PM
raptor-9
Life is NOW

Chellie!
I see that you are going to power it from the nose;With this configuration, will it be of any obstacle in flight & landings,especially when in swept?(pitch)....did you calculate the cg .........I think you are going to be a bit nose heavy?.......Don't get me wrong.......just a word of advice....I think Beanie can help on this with his experience with such models!-wish you succsess;R-9.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:17 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by raptor-9 View Post
OK Chellie;
Is that 6mm depron that you're using;& 5mm carbon rod on the L.E.
R-9.
Hi I am using 5mm depron right now as thats all that I have to work with, will be getting in a case of 6mm depron soon, the leading edge CF, just needs to be the same size as the wing thickness, I am open to any and all suggestions, as I dont know it all but I have fun trying, I dont mind it being a little noise heavy, and the cg should be ok when landing with the wings extended, but i will check the CG, very close, open & closed, Take care, and get out and fly, Chellie
Old 03-04-2007, 09:36 PM
bowtie hi

Chellie
On my Jerbear wing I used 3MM CF on the leading edge and put it on the lower edge and sanded the top down to it and gave it the airfoil look. OH Its 6MM depron.

Ken
Old 03-17-2007, 02:09 AM
ElectricFlyGuy
Banned Permanently

Thumbs up Wow!!!!!!!

Very nice! Keep up the good work. Scott

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Everyone here are a few more pics of what has been done so far, it will have a 34" wing span and a length of 33" take care, chellie
Old 03-20-2007, 02:43 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Everyone I have not fallen off the end of the earth I am waiting for my 12x cannon powershots camera to come in the mail so I can take some videos of this plane, the stupid camera is on back order soon , I will be soon, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-05-2007, 03:01 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

No camera yet Chellie? any updates...?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:17 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
No camera yet Chellie? any updates...?
Hi Dave I ordered the camera from wisetronics on line, and they said end of april, back order, I cancelled the order, and looked around some more, found it, at walmart.com, for just a little more money but not much more, ordered it and it should be here tomorrow Yaaaaa about time,
I took off a few vacation days next week, so i am going to learn the camera, and maiden the f111 and the DR1 hopefully I will keep you posted, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Enjoy your well earned vacation, I think you will be very happy with the camera as is everyone that has tried it. With so many choices its hard to know what really works well for the money your spending but fear not because your camera is Wattflyer approved.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:31 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Kosh thank you, I have heard that a lot of people here on wattflyers love that camera, and I know that there are a lot of sharp people here, So thats what convinced me to get it, Gee I hope the camera video does not make me look 10 lbs heavier Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 04-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

I think you can get a special lens that makes you look 10 pounds lighter. :p

It will take a few tries for your camera operator to get use to it but the zoom is silky smooth and the only problem most have is zooming in too far and loosing the plane in a turn. The first few times may only result in a little usable footage but thats ok. I think its just as hard to shoot good video as to fly and it take some practice. Using up a whole card and only getting 2 or 3 minutes of worthwhile video is close to the norm the first few times so don't let it get you down. Sorry to go off on this and now back to the F-111 !!!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Looks nice Chellie. Guess I ought to look here more often. Better foamies than that other place.

Bill
Old 04-08-2007, 12:30 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thank you Bill for the complements , I received my camera, after a long wait, now I need to video the maiden on this plane, that will be soon, I have a DR1 that I need to video the maiden on also, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-08-2007, 02:42 PM
thomdoe

Bill G, I've been flying I have no wings, I go up the plane goes down ? OPPS I better stop.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by thomdoe View Post
Bill G, I've been flying I have no wings, I go up the plane goes down ? OPPS I better stop.
You outta try flying the Scott Black F-6 Sabre on Real Flight G3.
It flies quite well with no wings. I start the flight by ripping them off in the woods, and then go. It usually goes up like a loose spiraling football, and is just WILD!
I've actually kept it up there for several minutes.

Chellie, I take pics myself while flying. Adds to the excitement. I need to try the video mode on my digi-cam, since I only have still pics as of now.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	f86_crash.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	28098  
Old 04-10-2007, 08:14 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
You outta try flying the Scott Black F-6 Sabre on Real Flight G3.
It flies quite well with no wings. I start the flight by ripping them off in the woods, and then go. It usually goes up like a loose spiraling football, and is just WILD!
I've actually kept it up there for several minutes.

Chellie, I take pics myself while flying. Adds to the excitement. I need to try the video mode on my digi-cam, since I only have still pics as of now.

Bill
It sounds like your having to much Fun Bill I need to attach my digital video camera, to a bicycle riding helment, so i can follow my airplane, and take video of it at the same time, if no one is around to take videos for me, It might work it should work it will work just have to figure out how to do it, brain storming I dont know if mounting it on the top of the helmet will work the best, or on the side, and balance it with a cold margarita on the other side with a straw :p Ok I am a Lush, I admit it,
Take care, Chellie
Old 04-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

It sounds like your having to much Fun Bill I need to attach my digital video camera, to a bicycle riding helment, so i can follow my airplane, and take video of it at the same time, if no one is around to take videos for me, It might work it should work it will work just have to figure out how to do it, brain storming I dont know if mounting it on the top of the helmet will work the best, or on the side, and balance it with a cold margarita on the other side with a straw :p Ok I am a Lush, I admit it,
Take care, Chellie
Good Morning Chellie,
I would like a picture of YOU shooting a video of your planes in flight with your new HAT CAM... Video photography at its best.....

Have a Great Day!
Old 04-10-2007, 08:49 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Good Morning bruce I have been thinking of some way to take videos when no one else is around, they take video of sky jumpers, that way so it should work have you got your camera figured out yet, that one is easy to use, compaired to the camera I just got, I have to do a lot of learning on this new one, computers and digital cameras is just not my cup of tea, but i learn fast Take care, Chellie
Old 04-10-2007, 01:25 PM
JoeBruce

You could ask Waterdog on RCG (creator of the STC, STS, ST, and Nasty) -- he did videos of his STC with a bicycle helmet-mounted camera, so I know it can be done (the videos even came out well). Of course, you might attract some stares if anyone's around...
Old 04-10-2007, 07:51 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by JoeBruce View Post
You could ask Waterdog on RCG (creator of the STC, STS, ST, and Nasty) -- he did videos of his STC with a bicycle helmet-mounted camera, so I know it can be done (the videos even came out well). Of course, you might attract some stares if anyone's around...

Thank you Joe I will do that, I dont care about the stares, I am a Nerd anyway I just dont use pocket protectors or have white tape on my glasses How are your plane projects doing ? I am building a giant Hydro foam right now, almost 4 feet long, that should be fun, its a lot of work, because I am enlarging a smaller hydro for the Giant hydro, and the enlarging is what is taking all the time, but I am making some 1/4" partical board patterns as I go along, so the next ones will be quick to build, Take care, Chellie
Old 04-10-2007, 08:04 PM
JoeBruce

Good luck on the Hydro, Chellie (and on the F-111 maiden)! My own projects are on hold for the moment. I finally finished moving, but it left me over 100 hours in the hole at work. I still hope to at least build a plane with my son for his AHAA guts over the next three months. The Dizzy Chick looks like a scaled-down JSW (Jerbear's Simple Wing), and supposedly flies well. My time'll be very limited until the second move is over (sigh), and then the weather won't be as cooperative (moving from SoCal back to Maryland).
Old 04-10-2007, 08:45 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Wow that is a big move Joe, Finally got fed up with all the traffic here i bet i would love to move to someplace thats not such a Rat Race,
I just have a little more time to go, then i can take a early retirement, I will be 53 in july, OMG, I am getting older I am planing to retire at 55, and then just be semi retired, work when i want to I am starting a online hobby shop, and other things, E Bay seller, so that will be my semi retired job, then i can move to someplace thats not so crowded, take care & have fun, Chellie
Old 04-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Take care, Chellie
It's actually pretty easy to take pics yourself, while flying. You just aim in the direction and shoot, and it usually gets it. The problem is that you can't catch it if you use telephoto mode, so they are specs in the sky.
I've enlarged them, but then they're fuzzballs in the sky.

Bill

Quick Reply: Swing Wing F-111 Aardvark project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14511 seconds with 16 queries