Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Charging Lipos with a Triton Jr.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:57 PM
zlistonsmith

Default Charging Lipos with a Triton Jr.

I was just wondering if it was possible to over-charge a Lipo battery with the Triton Jr.? In other words, if I had a battery with a full charge and attempted to charge it, would the Triton Jr. know the battery was full and not attempt to charge it (assuming I entered all the parameters correctly)? I've assumed that because it is so important not to over-charge a LIPO that the Triton Jr. has some protection to prevent an overcharge but I can't find anything in the manual to confirm it (it could be implied but my lack of knowledge prevents me from identifying it). I just want to see the initial data the charger uses to determine the current condition of the battery.

Thank you,
Zachary
Old 09-07-2008, 08:53 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

If the Jr. has the same programming as my Triton, which I'm sure it does, it will not charge an already charged battery. When I place a charged battery on my Triton it will usually take it about 5 minutes to figure out the battery is charged then terminate the cycle.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by zlistonsmith View Post
I was just wondering if it was possible to over-charge a Lipo battery with the Triton Jr.? In other words, if I had a battery with a full charge and attempted to charge it, would the Triton Jr. know the battery was full and not attempt to charge it (assuming I entered all the parameters correctly)? I've assumed that because it is so important not to over-charge a LIPO that the Triton Jr. has some protection to prevent an overcharge but I can't find anything in the manual to confirm it (it could be implied but my lack of knowledge prevents me from identifying it). I just want to see the initial data the charger uses to determine the current condition of the battery.

Thank you,
Zachary
I use a Triton Jr. with an Equinox balancer.

From my understanding, the purpose of setting the battery voltage is so you do not overcharge the battery. It compares the voltage you set to the voltage in the pack (11.1v really means 12.6, which is 4.2 for each of the cells in the pack). If you tell the charger you have a 11.1v battery (3s) and you plug in a 7.4v battery (2s) you might well see some fireworks. I myself am not wealthy or ballsy enough to try this out.

I have, however, plugged in a 3S lipo that had only been used for bench-testing for a few minutes... the charger saw the voltage was at 11.8 and proceeded to charge it back up to 12.6v. In that sense, it is 'smart'.

Setting the amp-hour rating determines how much juice (or ostensibly, how fast) you push into the battery while you are charging it.

Stick with 1C maximum to treat your batteries right - that is, if you have a 1000mAh LiPo, don't charge it above 1000mAh on the indicator.

I recommend getting the Equinox; balanced batteries are happy batteries.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
zlistonsmith

I do use the Equinox Balancer on my larger packs but the smaller pack I was worried about doesn't have a balancing lead, I suppose to save weight. It's a very small Thunder Power pack I use in a foamy.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:26 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

I do use the Equinox Balancer on my larger packs but the smaller pack I was worried about doesn't have a balancing lead, I suppose to save weight. It's a very small Thunder Power pack I use in a foamy.
Is it a 2S? I guess they figure balancing a 2S is not that critical. I saw some of those Electrifly 3S lipos don't have balance taps on them... They were on sale, but I passed them up. Dunno I am a fairly recent convert to LiPo so I've never had one without a balance lead... why start now.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:55 PM
zlistonsmith

It's actually a 3 cell. It really threw me off when I got it because I thought all LIPOs had to be balanced. It is a Thunder Power ProLite 730 mAh that I use in a mini Funtana. When I contacted Thunder Power they told me that if I wanted a balance lead on it just to send it to them and they would put one on it for me. All the batteries with a capacity greater than 730 mAh have balance leads.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:49 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

The Triton looks after my dumb mistakes. Tried to charge a 7.4 at 11.1. Charger gave out consistant beeping and flashed (LOW BATT. VOLTAGE)
Old 09-09-2008, 09:24 PM
zlistonsmith

Hey GROUNDRUSHESUP, are you a hacker and a Linux guru or do you just like the Penguin? Just curious. I love Linux and can attribute all my computer knowledge to that OS.

Sorry to veer off topic.
Zachary
Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Hey GROUNDRUSHESUP, are you a hacker and a Linux guru or do you just like the Penguin? Just curious. I love Linux and can attribute all my computer knowledge to that OS.

Sorry to veer off topic.
Zachary
Not a hacker or a guru by any stretch, but I have worked with RHEL for a few years and I'm a big fan of Fedora. Thus the Fedora Tux.