Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Kyosho Minium

Old 10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
M.T.

Default Kyosho Minium

I am thinking of buying a new plane to fly in garden (200feet x 150feet).

I have a ParkZone Slo-V which I think will be too big for the time being, a Silverlit Bi-Plane (Air Hogs in the U.S.A?) which is excellent, and am looking for something which is 'just a bit more'... possibly the Kyosho Minium.

It must....

1). Be fairly crashproof.
2). Be able to take a bit of wind.
3). Turn on a dime.
4). Fairly easy to fly.
5). Be fun!!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:11 PM
M.T.

.... I think the Kyosho is known as the Parkzone micro 21 in the U.S.A.

Any thoughts on it?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Mike_Taylor
Micro Flyer

They ae great. I have bought 4 of them, plus a bunch of the receiver/servo units for use in other models, and the guys I fly with, who are experienced micro modelers, are stocking up as well.

There are people, some of whom are extremely vocal, who say it is a horrible product and want their AAs back. These people seem to be more used to toy-grade models than micros... Their complaints are:
1) The motor will cut-out randomly (hint: don't point the TX antenna at the plane)
2) The servos strip (hint: Don't move the control surfaces by hand. One person has 'tested' the controls on 5 models and finds that, yes, you can still strip the servos doing that)
3) It is hard to control (hint: it has a proportional throttle; use it. The model cruises at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle)
4) prop shafts break. (this is a real issue; buy a spare prop to thread/push onto the remains of the shaft if/when that happens.

The model itself is extremely easy to fly. If you get in trouble, let go of the sticks and it will generally straighten itself right out. I fly in my drive way/parking area, use trees in the garden for pylons, do touch and goes off the driveway (and the wife's car). It is very fun to fly in calm conditions; avoid wind.

Here is a thread with a number of models people have made from the innards of these... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720179
Old 10-11-2007, 11:44 AM
M.T.

Cool....

I have just received mine (It looks pretty well made) and hope to give it a maiden flight tonight!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:29 PM
M.T.

I flew the Minium last night and what can I say but.... "Wow".

I have been using a Silverlit Bi-Plane (2ch) which I find easy to fly (2ch.) and crashing a Phantom (3ch) which I found too hard to fly, the Kyosho has the best of both worlds. I am gaining confidence to fly my Slo-V which is waiting in the wings.

Responsive, yet steady, with a decent turn of speed when used in a small area..... and I can actually keep it in the air.

The only downside seemed to be the range, it cut out a couple of times and then started 'beeping'... I assume this was the plane searching for a signal?
Does anyone know of a cure for this?

Other than that, I think this is an excellent plane.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Mike_Taylor
Micro Flyer

Don't point the Transmitter antenna towards the plane; show the model the side of the antenna. That helps a great deal...
Old 10-12-2007, 03:55 PM
M.T.

Thanks Mike, I'll try that tonight.

Do you fly bigger planes as well?
If so, how much harder do you find them than the Minium.... I am wondering if when I master the little Kyosho I'll have more success with the bigger stuff... (my Slo-V).
Old 10-12-2007, 07:12 PM
Mike_Taylor
Micro Flyer

I do have bigger models, but seldom fly anything over 22" WS anymore. My 'big' ones now weigh 2 ounces. I do have larger planes, from the parkflier category all the way up to 2-meter sailplanes, but they require more space or longer landing zones than I have at home, which is where I prefer to fly.

The minium flies very nicely, it is a superb trainer, and it flies very much like a larger model. You learn to be easy on the controls, manage the throttle, and you get plenty of air time to make control stick movements automatic. Once you can fly this without thinking about each stick movement, the same will apply to any other, larger model.

I have gotten many 20 minute flights, some even longer by working local lift. With the model, TX and a couple of spare batteries, I can easily kill an hour if the air cooperates. All that stick time really adds up, and it makes flying all the other models easier.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 AM
sheldo78
Plane Durability Tester

Stevens Aero Lil Squirt, Great little plane, I can fly mine in a small school gym w/ no problem. A little more expensive, but than you can change components to other micros. Check out the stevens aero web site. I think it is stevensaeromodel.com
Old 10-14-2007, 08:15 AM
Balr14
WWI Jet Ace

Originally Posted by M.T. View Post
Thanks Mike, I'll try that tonight.

Do you fly bigger planes as well?
If so, how much harder do you find them than the Minium.... I am wondering if when I master the little Kyosho I'll have more success with the bigger stuff... (my Slo-V).
My next plane after the Cessna (Minium) was a Slo-V. It requires a little more room, but is basically easier to fly. It's less affected by winds (which isn't saying much), and reacts more slowly. You can get confidence in flying a Slo-V pretty quickly. I'd caution that in stock form it's underpowered, though. An upgrade to brushless with lipos makes for a much more enjoyable plane.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 AM
M.T.

Originally Posted by Mike_Taylor View Post
Don't point the Transmitter antenna towards the plane; show the model the side of the antenna. That helps a great deal...
Great tip... I had no more glitching problems at the weekend.

However, I did break the propellor... Am I right in thinking it unscrews from the shaft?
Old 10-15-2007, 10:48 AM
M.T.

Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
My next plane after the Cessna (Minium) was a Slo-V. It requires a little more room, but is basically easier to fly. It's less affected by winds (which isn't saying much), and reacts more slowly. You can get confidence in flying a Slo-V pretty quickly. I'd caution that in stock form it's underpowered, though. An upgrade to brushless with lipos makes for a much more enjoyable plane.
I am gaining so much confidence with the little Kyosho that I think I will get the Slo-V out in a few days when I get the 8.4v batteries delivered.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Mike_Taylor
Micro Flyer

Yes, the prop unscrews.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:08 PM
M.T.

Originally Posted by sheldo78 View Post
Stevens Aero Lil Squirt, Great little plane, I can fly mine in a small school gym w/ no problem. A little more expensive, but than you can change components to other micros. Check out the stevens aero web site. I think it is stevensaeromodel.com
Looks interesting!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

found this on ebay. 129.99 Buyitnow with free shipping
http://cgi.ebay.com/Parkzone-Cessna-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Tim Wolff

Try:
http://www.toddsmodels.com/
Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post

Thanks a ton there. 109 and no shipping for orders over 100!
Old 10-16-2007, 02:59 PM
bobbutts

Hi Mike

They ae great. I have bought 4 of them, plus a bunch of the receiver/servo units for use in other models, and the guys I fly with, who are experienced micro modelers, are stocking up as well.

There are people, some of whom are extremely vocal, who say it is a horrible product and want their AAs back. These people seem to be more used to toy-grade models than micros... Their complaints are:
1) The motor will cut-out randomly (hint: don't point the TX antenna at the plane)
The behavior also includes the trim returning to neutral and the rx beeping. In this situation the rx/tx has lost the connection and is resetting. Besides the antenna orientation local interference plays a part in this.

2) The servos strip (hint: Don't move the control surfaces by hand. One person has 'tested' the controls on 5 models and finds that, yes, you can still strip the servos doing that)
I have had 2 planes delivered with stripped servos out of the box. This part is weak. If you are unlucky enough to experience this it is not fun. I contend that this part is Junk and Mike disagrees.

3) It is hard to control (hint: it has a proportional throttle; use it. The model cruises at 1/4 to 1/3 throttle)
I can't imagine an aircraft that's much easier to control. If you can fly the v you can fly the cessna for sure.

4) prop shafts break. (this is a real issue; buy a spare prop to thread/push onto the remains of the shaft if/when that happens.
Don't crash it :P

The model itself is extremely easy to fly. If you get in trouble, let go of the sticks and it will generally straighten itself right out. I fly in my drive way/parking area, use trees in the garden for pylons, do touch and goes off the driveway (and the wife's car). It is very fun to fly in calm conditions; avoid wind.

Here is a thread with a number of models people have made from the innards of these... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720179
The work these guys do makes me feel like I have hammers on the ends of my arms. Pretty incredible especially given the tiny scale.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:41 PM
M.T.

I flew the Minium yesterday (What a great little plane!), but unfortunately it was more windy than it first seemed and I crashed it nose first into the ground and bent the prop shaft.

I have a new one, which comes complete with the motor, ready to fit....
I am wondering if anyone has straightened out one of these shafts or are they scrap once bent (Seems a waste)?