Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Goldberg Husky 400

Old 11-17-2005, 07:03 PM
kloudking

Default Goldberg Husky 400

Is this airplane supposed to fly or was it built just to be pretty and hang on the ceiling I have one, and it has BAD flying characteristics, snaps with to much rudder, snaps with to much elevator, and snaps if you try to come in with out power, and or slow it down enough so it doesn't go screaming by you. It is also very unpredictable as to what it does in the air, while flying. I called Goldberg, and they were NO help. This thing balances at 30% of the cord, their measurements and directions. and is built straight as a die.
HELP!!! I like the looks, but the flying is not user friendly..Any suggestions other than to thump it and start again?? This plane is not cheap, at 89.95
Old 11-17-2005, 07:35 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Move the CG up to 25%.

What are your throws set at (how much elevator/aileron control thorow do you have)?
Old 11-27-2005, 03:33 AM
Jeremy Z
Wind Warrior

If it snaps too easily, dial in some exponential, slow rates, or move the push-rods to the slowest settings. (furthest inside on the servo, furthest outside on the control surface)

Goldberg has an awesome reputation, I'm surprised they're handing you out to dry like this.

Jeremy
Old 12-04-2005, 12:08 AM
leparks

KloudKing (or anyone else),

I just got this model in the mail. I would be interested to know how you set up your flight system and what gear you used. Obviously, six servos far exceed recommendations for any ESC/BEC I have seen, and Goldberg's recommendations are contradictory. For example, they say "we used...Futaba... S3108 servos and Great Planes ElectriFly Receiver w/o speed control." However, their pictures in the assembly steps show S3107 servos and a four channel ElectriFly receiver (in a five channel model?). Searching the GreatPlanes ElectriFly website, it looks like they manufacture only two receivers (a 4- and a 5-channel) and both have built in ESC's.

I've been using Hitec 555 receivers and HS-55 servos with the Pheonix 25, but have never pushed it on the number of servos. Assuming the draw of the two on the flaps will be minimal, the other four still push it at 3S LiPo voltage...

As you have noted, I expect this will be a squirrely plane with the flat wing, large control surfaces, and short tail moment. It is a good looking plane, though, isn't it?

I was searching around RCU for info on this plane while I waited for the mail to bring it. Though I found nothing on it, I found lots of disgust with the quality and service of Lanier. I was not sure why the search on Goldberg kept turning up threads on Lanier until I followed one to its end where someone pointed out that Lanier recently acquired Goldberg. May be why your experience does not match what Smaug would have expected. Lots of folks were expressing concern that Lanier's shortcomings will become Goldberg's as well.

Either way, I am very happy with the quality of this kit (except for the instructions). The wood, laser cutting, construction, and covering are nearly perfect. I just hope once it is trimmed it flies as good as it looks!
Old 12-04-2005, 03:40 AM
simibill
General Factotum

And they say you need "5 Minuet Epoxy" too.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:47 PM
kloudking

Default Glodberg Husky 400

Ok now I uderstand why the people I called Goldberg? Lanier were as helpful as a nest of snakes.. I have dealt with Lanier before and was not a happy camper at that point. I guess I will stay away from Goldberg models from now on.. As to my setup, I used an Axi 2208 on an aluminum stick mount that I found at JGRC in FL. I had to addapt it to fit through the existing hole in the cowl.. I used one of the GWS 6 chanel receivers and 6 small Hurricane servos 5gm. All of this through a Castle creation 10 amp. brushless controler. All of the equipment worked flawlessley. I started at the suggested CG. (Bad idea) then moved it to the 28% point, and had to add a bunch of lead inside the cowl 21/2 oz. The damn thing still flew like It was tail heavy. I have not gone to 25% yet. The plane is VERY twitchy and will stall without notice, both high speed and slow speed..If you don't cary some throtle to the ground while landing you will stall and or snap at any altitude.. I have been building, designing, and flying airplanes for 35 years and this one still has me baffled. IT IS and ARF and IT should NOT have the incidence built into it wrong if it does Lanier should recall everyone they put out..Like I said before anyone want this thing for 40.00 plus shippiing contact me at [email protected] It is pretty, but $89.99 for a ceiling decoration is out of my budget... Jack
Old 12-04-2005, 08:49 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

6 small Hurricane servos 5gm
OK - now I think I know the problem. Do these center well? I had the same issues with a plane only the find out it was not the plane, but the servos!

Have you checked them?

Mike
Old 12-04-2005, 11:27 PM
simibill
General Factotum

I hope somebody knows the problem, or rather, the solution. I bought this model and am waiting for delivery.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 AM
leparks

I will be traveling for most of the next month, so I will not have a chance to put mine together until near end of January. It has been far too cold here to stand outside and fly anyway. I'm going to go fly with my brother in southern California where 50 degrees is t-shirt weather!

Hopefully, you guys will have this figured out by the time I get back. Please keep posting as you solve the problem(s). I expect this will be a twitchy (maneuverable) plane (which is why I got it), but I see no reason it cannot be made to fly predictably and successfully.

Anyone see a problem putting 6 Hitec HS-55's on a 555 receiver with a Pheonix 25 and an ElictriFly A/30/29 under a 3S LiPo?

I have had a thought on this, but I hate to add the weight (unless I have to for balance as per kloudKing). I could turn off the BEC and run the radio on a small, 270 mA flight battery...
Old 12-05-2005, 02:07 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Hopefully, you guys will have this figured out by the time I get back. Please keep posting as you solve the problem(s). I expect this will be a twitchy (maneuverable) plane (which is why I got it), but I see no reason it cannot be made to fly predictably and successfully.
My friend just got one, I will see if it has any issues. I can tell you the Chipmunk flies wonderfully, and Goldberg normally puts out good stuff....

Anyone see a problem putting 6 Hitec HS-55's on a 555 receiver with a Pheonix 25 and an ElictriFly A/30/29 under a 3S LiPo?
Yep, 4 servos is pushing it hard, 6 will likely cook the the BEC circuit.

Mike
Old 01-08-2006, 04:29 AM
leparks

Anyone making any progress with this model? I am back home, and am ready to start doing something with mine...
Old 01-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Gullwing

Kind of off the Husky topic, I have Goldberg Chipmunk 400. Same problems I do not think they have their CG specs right in the manual. I think the next time out the battery is going way forward. Good luck with your Goldberg...............GW
Old 01-08-2006, 07:17 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kloudking View Post
I started at the suggested CG. (Bad idea) then moved it to the 28% point, and had to add a bunch of lead inside the cowl 21/2 oz. The damn thing still flew like It was tail heavy. I have not gone to 25% yet. The plane is VERY twitchy and will stall without notice, both high speed and slow speed. It is pretty, but $89.99 for a ceiling decoration is out of my budget... Jack
In all likelihood it is tail heavy. I had a similar problem with my Hangar 9 Cub. Balanced as specified made it a very twitchy model to fly at all speeds. It is now balanced @ 25% and it flies Cub like.

BTW, another model having the same problem is the Lil' Rascal. Balance it at the spar as suggested by SIG and it will be rather wild to fly, it will tip stall and fall out of the sky on tight turns. I moved the CG forward by 1/4" and that was enough to remove all its bad habits away.

You mentioned Carl Goldberg being associated with Lanier. I cut some of my R/C teeth on Lanier early ARFs. They were, well, early ARF models but flew reasonably well for the price. I have also flown some other models they have offered over the years. I have had no problems with them, so there has been no need for me to request assistance from their customer/service department.

If they feel they are so high up on the Totem Pole they can ignore you, and any other customers for that matter, they are headed for oblivion. There are too many good ARF manufacturers out there who would give an arm and a leg to have us all buy their wares. Goldberg/Lanier had better watch out the way they handle their customer relations departments. Failure to treat customers with the courtesy and respect we deserve will send them south as a commercial venture rather quickly.

Old 02-06-2006, 04:41 PM
tribum

Default Assembly tips.

Has anyone who has assembled this plane got any suggested mods or reinforcements? It will be completely overpowered (200W/lb) with a Torque 2830-1095 motor, Phoenix 35W ESC and TP 2100mAh 3SLiPo.

Given the large battery and ESC do you think the 6 HS-55 servos will overload the BEC circuit? I certailnly don't think I will have any problem getting the CG forward.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 PM
kloudking

Ballance the damn thing at 25%, and good luck.. My ceiling decoration was traded for an 800mah li-po, and I feel like I got the better of the deal.. Jack
Old 02-07-2006, 04:53 AM
leparks

I have still not put mine together. I got distracted with some of my others of tens of models. Besides, it's been -10 to -40 here for weeks anyway. I did find what looks like a solution to the BEC overload issue, though, at http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm.

The ParkBEC replaces the speed control's built in BEC w/ a more robust voltage regulator. What little discussion I have found on the unit sounds like it works well. I think it is a better bet than putting 6 servos on your speed control.

Let me know how she flies. In spite of the experiences of kloudKing, I am still holding on to some hope...
Old 02-07-2006, 06:07 AM
tribum

I too hope KloudKing's experience was isolated. I'm going to be flying the Husky off skis which may well solve or exacerbate the problem. The ParkBEC seems to be a neat device but I am still confused why it, at a max rated current of 1.5A can handle 6 servos and the Phoenix 35 BEC rated at 3A can't?
Old 02-07-2006, 07:06 AM
leparks

Tribum,

I spent quite a while searching and reading to get to the bottom of this counter-intuitive facet of the ESC/BEC also. The issue is that the built-in BEC's (at least the one's we are talking about here) regulate the voltage via resistance. The greater the voltage differential (battery side vrs. receiver side) the greater the heat generated. The more batteries in series, and the more servos employed, the greater the differential, the greater the heat. The BEC can take only so much...

The Park site gives a good explanation of how their BEC works on this page: http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...regulators.htm. If you'd rather skip the explanation, the effect is summed up in this passage from the Park site:
With the linear BEC built into most speed controls, the current rating decreases as pack voltage increases. For example, several popular 25A ESCs with "3A" BECs are only capable of supplying 0.5A when running from a 3s pack. Because it is an efficient switching regulator, ParkBEC can supply its full rated current of 1.25A all the way up to 8s.
Though they are concerned with selling their product, this is consistent with what I pieced together from chasing threads all over the place.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your Husky!

BTW, I've flown some of my glow models from skis- lots of fun!
Old 02-07-2006, 06:44 PM
tribum

Thanks leparks. It would appear that the ParkBEC at only .25oz is the safe way to go but based on most of the PM's I received most people think that the Phoenix 35 can safely handle six servos. Given that two of the servos are on flaps and the Goldberg Husky 400 is a high wing (shouldn't be doing high G maneuvers) weighing only 22oz I would agree that it is probably OK. None the less, at .25oz and $25, I can't see the point in possibly frying a $80 ESC.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:41 PM
leparks

My thoughts exactly Tribum. I am planning on the Pheonix 25 and also considered trying it, assuming the flap servos do almost nothing most of the time. The ParkBEC removes the risk and the worry, though, for little cost, so why not?

Please let me know how your Husky performs...
Old 02-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Scottrik

I'm currently "building" a Husky as my first plane. What is meant by "balancing at 25%"? I'm guessing it refers to moving the cg (back?) but to where? 25% of the wing chord back from the leading edge or...?

Goldberg Husky, HiMaxx 2816-1220 (200W) brushless, E-Flite 40amp esc, TP 1320 lipo, Spektrum rf and servos (E-flite S75 servos for flaps).

tia,

Scottrik
Old 02-09-2006, 04:26 PM
tribum

Scottrik, the wing chord is 7.5" and the specified balance point is 2.25" inches back form the leading edge of the wing or 30% (2.25/7.5 * 100). Given that this is a constant chord wing you can measure back at any point.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:16 PM
kloudking

Hey Scottrik::: If this is your first airplane, DO NOT try to fly it until you get some experience on something a lot more docile.. Ballance the damn thing at about 13/4- 2" back from the leading edge. It NEEDS to be VERY nose heavy. If you want to have some fun learning, get an easy star from hobby-Lobby ($59.00???) This way you have a chance and won't get totally frustrated.. Jack Groves
Old 02-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Scottrik

Sorry,not interested in flying anything that doesn't look like a "real" plane to me--I'm only interested in relatively scale flying. As far as frustration, I'm pretty good at working my way through challenges...probably have more fun for having overcome. I HOPE to have my Husky "built" and in the air in the next couple weeks.

Scottrik
Old 02-09-2006, 10:46 PM
kloudking

Hey Scotrik:: Good luck, but I will guarantee you will be frustrated.. Iv'e been in the hobby for almost 40 years, and the Husky is probably the most frustrating plane I ever tried to get to fly.. I finally traded it for a li-po battery, and felt that I came out on the better end of the deal... Jack

Quick Reply: Goldberg Husky 400

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11908 seconds with 13 queries