Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Honey, I bought a TRITON JR. while you were asleep...

Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 AM
sinai

Default Honey, I bought a TRITON JR. while you were asleep...

She knows I wanted one. She looks so peaceful lying there but I look a little bit scared. Ebay. I bought the Triton Jr. It was a good deal. Free shipping. She'll understand...

Now what. I still need a power supply. Should I get a Pyramid PS 14kX or A Jump Starter thing? I don't know the first thing about which PS to choose, how to hook them up in the field, and oh crap... she's still asleep. What now? Now I've done it.

Supposing she DID KNOW about the TRITON JR, and we WERE IN AGREEMENT about a power supply: WHICH ONE???

I'm pretty sure she's cool with it. (I'm only playing around! I had her "blessing" before she went to sleep next to me ).
Power supply or Field Battery?

Last edited by sinai; 04-16-2007 at 11:52 AM. Reason: specify question
Old 04-16-2007, 12:08 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

LOL that's funny. I'm not allowed to spend $20 now ( on airplanes) without her knowing because of doing the same thing but without her blessing. Becareful it sucks.:o

I converted a power supply to run my Triton and love it. Nothing better than flipping the switch and knowing it can run forever if you want it to. I need to open mine back up and run a 5v lead. I want to try and adjust the timing on a 370 can and having a steady source will make it easier...I think.

Good Luck
SJ
Old 04-16-2007, 12:29 PM
sinai

Ha! Ha! Ha!
I'm currently working on her for the PS purchase. Patience my friends.

Thanks for the info, and I've read alot of great things about the conversion. After I posted here, I found the following link while searching for power supplies. I'm thinking FIELD CHARGING. Draw back seems to be the constant current. Your PS is probably way smooth. Gotta ask if anybody uses a jump starter like this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=39954

somebody at rcgroups reported success with it.

Last edited by sinai; 04-16-2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: url correction
Old 04-16-2007, 05:13 PM
eugenefelisco

Originally Posted by sinai View Post
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Thanks for the info, and I've read alot of great things about the conversion. After I posted here, I found the following link while searching for power supplies. I'm thinking FIELD CHARGING. Draw back seems to be the constant current. Your PS is probably way smooth. Gotta ask if anybody uses a jump starter like this one?

Dude,
Try home depot its called husky 400 jump starter. This is what I use with my triton1 and its about $39.99. Check it out.
Eugene
Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 PM
diablo
Newbie Pilot

I have a jumpstarter just like that in my garage, I might snag it here and there Or else bring in a car battery LoL

Originally Posted by sinai View Post
Ha! Ha! Ha!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I have two of those jump starters and rarely use them. I have 3 converted PC power supplies on my bench for charging. I charge everything before I go. If I need to charge at the field, I plug my Common Sence balance charger into the power port in the car. I made a long lead so I can have the charger outside the car.

The problem with using the jump starters for me is that now I have to charge it to charge my batteries. Just another thing to charge. I keep the jump starter in the car in case I can't get the car started. I've never had to use it.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:20 PM
diablo
Newbie Pilot

Any links how to convert a pc power supply? or specs on the power supply Thx!

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I have two of those jump starters and rarely use them. I have 3 converted PC power supplies on my bench for charging. I charge everything before I go. If I need to charge at the field, I plug my Common Sence balance charger into the power port in the car. I made a long lead so I can have the charger outside the car.

The problem with using the jump starters for me is that now I have to charge it to charge my batteries. Just another thing to charge. I keep the jump starter in the car in case I can't get the car started. I've never had to use it.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Lots of info on this thread. I asked the same question last year.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...c+power+supply
Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 PM
diablo
Newbie Pilot

Great!! Thanks

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Lots of info on this thread. I asked the same question last year.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...c+power+supply
Old 04-16-2007, 07:51 PM
sinai

Great info.

Thanks for the responses!

Last edited by sinai; 04-17-2007 at 07:54 PM.