Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 10-19-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
Stick Dude

Club: Ill try to become a member of a local rc club...
Friends: (1)
Thumbs up e-flight beginner here

I purchased a nice foamy Fokker dr-1 tri-plane e-flight kit. I love low and slow birds in general. I remember the Great Waldo Pepper, and the last scene of that show featured a Tri-winger vs a Sopwith camel fight scene. If I remember correctly the 2 gents played demolition derby in the air! So with the tri wing I will try to learn in almost no wind to get the feel of e-flight. I was looking on line for a bigger version of this bird, until I came across the electric stick. I ordered one to the happiness of my local rc hobby shop. I think Great planes sells the kits? I will slowly be adding the motor, electrics and remote control. First I must get used to the tri-plane, then I hope to join a local rc-club....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gpma7500.jpg (9.1 KB, 188 views)
Old 10-19-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
quorneng
Super Contributor

Club: A lone flyer!
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award 
Friends: (6)

Stick Dude
Not knowing how experienced you are but I am pretty sure your electric Stick will be considerably easier to fly than your triplane.
Remember the full size was spacifically designed to have almost neutral stability. Great for an experienced pilot to do 'combat' manoeuvres but a novice is likely to have difficulty just getting it off the ground.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

I was in the DFW area for a little while, I know there are some clubs in the area. Find them and I am sure you will also find friends willing to help you get started. I visited an awesome field down there.

Good luck, I also agree the triplane may be tricky to fly. They can troublesome for experienced pilots.

The best type to start with is a high wing with enough dihedral to self stabilize. Or a plane with a stabilizing receiver. As you get used to flying you can cut the amount of stabilizing down.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Club: www.rmvc-cumulus.nl
Friends: (0)

Originally Posted by Stick Dude View Post
e-flight beginner here
Better forget the tri-plane. For now And find a club, experienced help.
Advice for getting into flying RC airplanes, and how not to - The Ampeer

Some well-structured reading and handy e-tools for rainy/windy days.
Will save you, and us a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Without a watt-meter you are in the dark, until something starts to glow
e-flight calculators watt-meters diy motor tips Cumulus MFC
Old 10-19-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Without a watt-meter you are in the dark.
Until something starts to glow

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old 10-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #6
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Friends: (13)

I've had several "stick" planes. They're a blast to fly but they are definitely NOT trainers! Neither are multi winged aircraft. They each require abilities beyond that of someone new to the hobby. Do yourself a huge favor and buy a good trainer to start with. I built the prototypes for both the Tyro 100 and Tyro150 from Molt Models/Mountain Models. They're still in flyable condition today and still my favorites. Crank up the power and they become sport trainers. Tons of fun!

#1 is to listen to Ron. Friend/follow/stalk him. This guy knows R/C electrical like no one else online and he'll save you a ton of grief.

Keep posting and you'll get lots of help from people that genuinely want to make sure you succeed.

Joe

The nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind.....
Old 10-20-2018, 01:16 AM   #7
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Club: Puget Sound Silent Flyers -PSSF & Thurston County Miniature Aircraft Association - TCMAA
Friends: (8)

[QUOTE=Turbojoe;1015037]

#1 is to listen to Ron. Friend/follow/stalk him. This guy knows R/C electrical like no one else online and he'll save you a ton of grief.

That is the truth!!!

There is a lot to learn about electric planes but the rewards are worth it.
Ron's info will save you a lot of grief. Like he says a wattmeter is a must to know what is going on inside a circuit. If you are over loaded, everything looks great until the "magic smoke" comes out.

Keep up with questions, we will try to get you on the path to success.

Dave R, KI7MTA Proud PGR rider.
When you have flying skills like mine,
You become a master at repair.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
Stick Dude

Thanks for the response! Ill be trying a Buddy Box with this bird, and all advice will be used on quest for flight. My buddy up north said I may need to make the transmitter or receiver or servos less sensitive so I wont over control the bird in flight. I think I can purchase those devices at my local hobby shop. If need be, ill purchase a high dihedral trainer before I attempt to fly my electro stick. Thanks again for all responses. The Dude.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Thanks for the response! Ill be trying a Buddy Box with this bird, and all advice will be used on quest for flight. My buddy up north said I may need to make the transmitter or receiver or servos less sensitive so I wont over control the bird in flight. I think I can purchase those devices at my local hobby shop. If need be, ill purchase a high dihedral trainer before I attempt to fly my electro stick. Thanks again for all responses. The Dude.

If you have a programmable TX you can set up exponential so the Electro Stick could be manageable but it's still not a trainer no matter how you program it. It's pros are that it goes exactly where you point it. Its cons are that it goes exactly where you point it! That flat wing means it has no self righting capabilities. Save yourself a LOT of money and save that Stick for later on in your progression. You'll be glad you did. They are so much fun to fly when you have gained the experience for it.

Some will say I'm nuts but SCALE Cubs and Cessna's couldn't be further from being good R/C trainers. Avoid them like the plague! They both are tip stall demons unless they are so far from scale that they barely resemble the intended subject. Stick to real trainers in the beginning. You'll be so glad you did. 10-15 even 20 years later you'll still drag that beloved "trainer" bird out for some great memory flights...

My first truly successful R/C venture was with a Goldberg Eaglet 50 over 40 years ago thanks to the help of a good R/C pilot friend. I built another Eaglet 50 many years back as an all balsa/electric nostalgia project and it has once again become my favorite bird even though I've progressed far beyond trainers. You really don't forget your first true love......

Joe

Old 10-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #10
Stick Dude

Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
If you have a programmable TX you can set up exponential so the Electro Stick could be manageable but it's still not a trainer no matter how you program it. It's pros are that it goes exactly where you point it. Its cons are that it goes exactly where you point it! That flat wing means it has no self righting capabilities. Save yourself a LOT of money and save that Stick for later on in your progression. You'll be glad you did. They are so much fun to fly when you have gained the experience for it.

Some will say I'm nuts but SCALE Cubs and Cessna's couldn't be further from being good R/C trainers. Avoid them like the plague! They both are tip stall demons unless they are so far from scale that they barely resemble the intended subject. Stick to real trainers in the beginning. You'll be so glad you did. 10-15 even 20 years later you'll still drag that beloved "trainer" bird out for some great memory flights...

My first truly successful R/C venture was with a Goldberg Eaglet 50 over 40 years ago thanks to the help of a good R/C pilot friend. I built another Eaglet 50 many years back as an all balsa/electric nostalgia project and it has once again become my favorite bird even though I've progressed far beyond trainers. You really don't forget your first true love......

Joe
I remember thumbing through a rcm-modeler mag back in the 80's and I saw that Goldberg Eaglet in a advert. It looked pretty cool! It had a 2 tone red paint job or blue and white, cant remember, but it looked pretty cool non-the less. I like the idea of electric rc, because I have had petrol fueled line control, and I tried to do a rc gasser with no luck, expierence was the issue back then. My motor is in, and my throttle controller is in as we speak, next is the radio and receiver, cant wait!
Old 10-20-2018, 08:54 PM   #11
Stick Dude

Some examples of line control birds, they are pretty fun, and great for beginners, but for me e-flight is the ticket!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7121f16e4b18ffc3ab02cd46486b5f6c.jpg (9.2 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg d9e4081885fed6d54ab8f0f4c76116cd.jpg (24.7 KB, 146 views)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #12
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

... less sensitive so I wont over control the bird in flight. ...
By choosing appropriate servo- and rudder-control horn lengths. Any other method (e.g. fiddling with knobs on/in the transmitter) will cost you steering-torque and steering-accuracy.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old 10-21-2018, 04:24 AM   #13
Stick Dude

Thanks Ron, ill give it a try, for a beginner I reckon less control surface input is the ticket to a successful first flight. The instructions for the Great Planes Electro Stix told me to clip the servo push rod arm from 4 pieces to 1 piece? ill purchase a few more of those plastic servo 4 piece push rod dealy bob's just incase.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:25 AM   #14
Stick Dude

Thanx wildefire, I will pay attention to Ron and the whole team.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:29 AM   #15
Stick Dude

Thanks Quorneng, I just noticed the profile of my stick's wing, it is indeed an aerobatic airfoil, not like the 1-1 Cessna I soloed many years back, funny thing that Cessna I flew had no real dihedral that is totally necessary for rc-flight and fun.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:42 AM   #16
Stick Dude

Say Ron, quick question, I just received my ordered 25 rimfire engine {motor} and I went ahead and snagged up a speed control unit. I noticed the wires that I hooked up to the motor were all black and not color coded, but the rim engine has 3 colored wires red, black, and yellow. I'm not putting juice to it yet, but is there an order I should plug those wires in? It seems a wee bit odd that the 60 controller my hobby shop sold me has 3 black wires instead of color coded, hit or miss, what do yall reckon? Also, man that speed controller smells like chlorine? Crazy, I washed my mitts after installing in my rig...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg GPMG4595-250.jpg (10.6 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg Beavis-and-Butt-Head-Season-8-Episode-2-Daughter-s-Hand-Tech-Support.jpg (47.4 KB, 135 views)
Old 10-21-2018, 05:06 AM   #17
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Safety
Remove prop when seting up or changing power system.

You can connect the three motorwires anyway you want. If motor runs in the wrong direction, just swap any two of the three motorwires. NEVER EVER swap battery wires, reverse polarity will ruin you controller in the blink of an eye, bigly
Different colours for motorwire are handy for remembering theESC→ motor connections. The three motorwires are equivalent. But not quite the same, they carry the same signals, albeit with a 120 phase ('time') difference.

See also these
brushless motor animations and simulations - RCG

Power signals at full throttle, no chopping up voltage in pieces.

Power signals at partial throttle, PWM chopping ('grass') to reduce effective voltage.

Scope traces from www.aerodesign.de/peter, DIY brushless motor building (english&german)

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Old 10-21-2018, 05:08 AM   #18
Stick Dude

Engine {motor} installed, pretty simple, had to ream the prop and the spinner backer, fortunately the prop was machined to accept small precision fit adapters to co-exist with my non- precision reamin', lol!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg red-fokker-dreidecker.jpg (84.7 KB, 130 views)
Old 10-21-2018, 05:22 AM   #19
Stick Dude

Thanks Ron, ill be cautious about the battery connection. Are those lipo batteries safe, I heard there were issues with charging and discharging. I remember the old school style ni-cads which were simple back then. This build will take time, and ill be learning on a much smaller "foamy" to cut my teeth...
Old 10-21-2018, 05:07 PM   #20
Stick Dude

Installed the Electro speed control device, as per Ron I plugged in the wires, time to buy some more Velcro to keep it secured correctly....
Old 10-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #21
quorneng
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Stick Dude
LiPo batteries are very powerful for their size and weight but it does mean they contain a lot of energy.
Mistreat them and they are capable of bursting into flames so its is absolutely mandatory to only use a charger that is intended for a LiPo and that it is charged at the right rate. Do not charge a LiPo unattended.

LiPo do not like to be over charged (a LiPo charger will ensure it never is) or over discharged (the speed controller will cut power to the motor as soon as the battery drops below the minimum safe voltage).

Treat a LiPo like it is a delicate piece of equipment and it will be fine.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:10 PM   #22
Stick Dude

Thanks I will be careful. Say, I purchased a esc and I read it causes cancer in the state of California? When I opened the bag is was shipped in I smelled an odor that reminded me of swimming pool chlorine? Is that piece dangerous? Should I be concerned? How can I get rid of that odor with out damaging the unit? Any ideas would be greatly helpful, Stick-dude….
Old 10-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #23
Stick Dude

Well I certainly hope that e s c, wont make me sick, but boy it sure smells of chlorine? That smell is a bummer man, bummer.....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hqdefault.jpg (7.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 10-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #24
quorneng
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I understand almost anything in California is likely to make you ill. The rest of the world just gets on with it.

I expect you are smelling the ESC's shrink wrap. It will soon go, particularly if you get the ESC in a plane and fly it as hydrogen chloride is pretty volatile.

I understood that recent ESCs used a Polyolefin shrink wrap that does not smell.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:18 PM   #25
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
I understand almost anything in California is likely to make you ill. The rest of the world just gets on with it.

Yep, I was born inSane Diego. Moved to Arizona 16 years ago and I'm slowly but surely returning to "normal". Many question just how "normal" I am though. My signature should give a good indication.....

Joe

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners