Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Avian ESC LVC Type ="Surge SW"

Old 03-03-2022, 05:35 PM
jevla44

Default Avian ESC LVC Type ="Surge SW"

Got a new Avian 100A ESC and the LVC type defaults to "Surge SW" with "Soft" and "Hard" as the other two options. Others found this too when upgrading to the latest firmware on older Avian ESC's. I have searched and searched and can't find any explanation of this. The soft an hard functions are easy to understand. Maybe the motor starts surging or pulsing after reaching LVC? I can't see an advantage if so. I would rather go soft and have 50% power for landing than a "surging" motor.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:39 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

I found nothing about this in a search. I did see a thread on RCGroups where someone asked the same question at the end of 2020. No answer was given. I would just stick with the default soft cutoff.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:44 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

I have an ESC that goes into the surge mode when the voltage drops.
I like it, all I have to do is slow down a little to reduce the power drain and the surging stops and I set up for landing.

On my other ESCs that just go hard stop, I have to drop to no throttle for a bit then I can get a little power, however, if I go a little high, I have to start over and reset. All that seems to eat up time that the surge type does not.

I will look for that type in the future.