Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build

Old 02-03-2009, 04:28 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

[quote=CHELLIE;557370][quote=stevecooper;557154]
I might need a wider landing gear

Hi Steve I was thinking about cutting the landing gear, in two, and making it wider, that should work ok, and adding some wire half circles under the bottom wing tips for a scuff Guard, i know I am going to drop a wing or maybe some wing tip Training wheels It already Has a BiPlane Murphy Training Wing on it , Take care, Chellie
ChellieOne:: silver solder a piece across the cut span on those wheels so it don't squat on you,, lot of plane come'in in!! bub, steve
Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Huffy01
Huffy01

I'd suggest you find another landing gear. It would a shame to cut it up.
May be buy some aluminium flat bar. drill hole for the wheel's ,then find out where your bend's go and stick it in a vise and bend away.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:33 PM
starcad
Model Designer

Chellie, you could extend the tail wheel wire to where it extends just past the end of the rudder, thus a longer moment. Turns un-tamely beasts into kittens.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM
RickAvery

[QUOTE=CHELLIE; and adding some wire half circles under the bottom wing tips for a scuff Guard, i know I am going to drop a wing [/QUOTE]

Chellie,
Here's a little trick that I've used for just what you mention. Take an old GWS wheel, a-la slow-stick or TM 400. Cut out the hub and pin-wheel spokes, cut into 2 equal halves and walaah! wing tip half circle skids. Attach as you would a set of wire skids at a fraction of the weight. Your plane looks great Good luck!
Rick
Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by RickAvery View Post
Chellie,
Here's a little trick that I've used for just what you mention. Take an old GWS wheel, a-la slow-stick or TM 400. Cut out the hub and pin-wheel spokes, cut into 2 equal halves and walaah! wing tip half circle skids. Attach as you would a set of wire skids at a fraction of the weight. Your plane looks great Good luck!
Rick
RickAvery::Good one my bub!,, Gotta try that! your bub, steve
Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Hi ya'll! Miss me? hows the plane coming along chellie?
Old 02-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

BENOBUB!!!!!!!!!!!! good to see ya! Ms Chellies do'in her up right!! bub, steve
Old 02-04-2009, 01:06 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

Alright!
Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thank you Everyone for the complements & suggestions, they are all great Ok now i have to decide which one to use I think I may just bend up a piece of aluminum, and make a landing gear, the landing gear in the pic, was the Largest one Hobby King Had, I was also thinking about making 2 halfs, they sell them like that too, I will take a good hard look at it The fuselage is long, so I think the steering tail wheel i bought should be ok there, This sure is turning out to be a Project but its fun, I have Friday and Monday off from work, Yeaaaaa so I will devote some more time to it, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Originally Posted by starcad View Post
Chellie, you could extend the tail wheel wire to where it extends just past the end of the rudder, thus a longer moment. Turns un-tamely beasts into kittens.
That technique works well on smaller models but on giant scale its really hard on the rudder servo gears when you're landing - especially if there is any cross wind at all.

Id recommend keeping the pivot point aligned with the rudder hinge and dont have a long lever arm on the wheel. Im especially fond of the Sullivan type for 'lighter' giant scale models. Once you get much over 16-18 pounds or so you need to look at other options.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
That technique works well on smaller models but on giant scale its really hard on the rudder servo gears when you're landing - especially if there is any cross wind at all.

Id recommend keeping the pivot point aligned with the rudder hinge and dont have a long lever arm on the wheel. Im especially fond of the Sullivan type for 'lighter' giant scale models. Once you get much over 16-18 pounds or so you need to look at other options.
Thank you Larry I like the Sullivan tail wheel, with the spring arm, those work great IMHO , Take care, Chellie
Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Looks Great Chellie.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:00 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy View Post
Looks Great Chellie.

Thank you Chris BTW where is the CG located on your Biplane is it 25% from the leading edge of your top wing Thank you in advance, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Larry3215

Chellie, if your wings have sweep and are staggared like in the drawings you had at the beginning, your going to want the CG a lot further back that 25% of the top wing.

Here is a wing CG calculator that works well for swept wing setups.

http://www.palosrc.com/instructors/cg.htm

Id would calculate the 25% CG location for each wing on its own. Then set the over all CG for the plane at the point mid way between those two locations.

Id guess you will end up closer to the leading edge of the lower wing point where it joins the fuse - depending on the degree of sweep and the amount of stagger. You may end up further back than that - again depending on how much sweep and stagger you end up with.

My Ultimates usually flew best for patern work around that point and were best for 3D a little further back. Your drawings show more stagger than the typical Ultimate though.

Last edited by Larry3215; 02-05-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: changed link to the one I wanted in the first place
Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Chellie, if your wings have sweep and are staggared like in the drawings you had at the beginning, your going to want the CG a lot further back that 25% of the top wing.

Here is a wing CG calculator that works well for swept wing setups.

http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm

Id would calculate the 25% CG location for each wing on its own. Then set the over all CG for the plane at the point mid way between those two locations.

Id guess you will end up closer to the leading edge of the lower wing point where it joins the fuse - depending on the degree of sweep and the amount of stagger. You may end up further back than that - again depending on how much sweep and stagger you end up with.

My Ultimates usually flew best for patern work around that point and were best for 3D a little further back. Your drawings show more stagger than the typical Ultimate though.
Thank You Larry, Yes there is a little stagger in the wings, thank you for the link, Take care, Chellie
Old 02-05-2009, 02:31 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Thank you Chris BTW where is the CG located on your Biplane is it 25% from the leading edge of your top wing Thank you in advance, Take care, Chellie
I'll look it up on my plans tomorrow, I believe it is right at the leading edge of the lower wing at the fuselage.

But the real deal with the bipes is:
Find 27% from the leading edge of both top and bottom. Then find the median point of those 2 locations.

That way, no matter what % of stagger your wings have, you can find the right spot.

However, 1 swept back wing and the other straight, can affect that some.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:32 AM
Larry3215

I posted the wrong link the first time around Chellie. The new link is easier to use I think.
Old 02-05-2009, 02:33 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Whoops, posted before looking at Larry's identical advice........LOL

Old 02-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Thank You Larry, Yes there is a little stagger in the wings, thank you for the link, Take care, Chellie
Go Pinocchio on the CG But you'll do that anyway, I never fly tail heavy but I ain't got no Butt anymore anyhoo!
Old 02-05-2009, 02:48 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Thank you Larry and Chris My wings dont have a lot of sweep to them, very little, I would rather be a little nose heavy on the maiden flight its getting there, My Scratch built Katana, that I made for MiniSteve beat a stock C Stryker Thats Funny, I used a section of 3/8" X 3/8" Square CF in the Wing, because i know how Steve flies I had to make it strong For him,

http://vimeo.com/3061750?pg=embed&sec=3061750

Originally Posted by ministeve2003
Since the video never shows how fast the katana was, I don't have footage yet to doppler it, but I do know it pulled away from Charlies stock stryker-C fairly well... I think thats Pretty dang good for a flat 9mm depron plane....LOL

Power system on it was...
turnigy 40amp esc
turnigy SK series 35x36x910kv
apc 12x8e prop
4cell 1500mah rhino battery
4 hxt900 servos...

SK
you Beat a Stryker with a 3D Plane

Originally Posted by CHELLIE
you Beat a Stryker with a 3D Plane
yep...hehehe.... and Charlie now wants to buy the same turnigy motor we got on Daniels Stryker so he can go abit faster.... I don't think he likes the idea of a 3d foamy going faster than his styker...LOL

SK
Old 02-05-2009, 02:52 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

STRYKER KILLER

Old 02-05-2009, 09:01 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Everyone well I got a little more done, I finished the top wing, I used some low heat towercoat covering and some trim tape, just One more wing to go why do BiPlanes have 2 wings Take care, Chellie

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaabbbbaaaa 002_1.jpg
Views:	1939
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	92639   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaabbbbaaaa 004_1.jpg
Views:	1245
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	92640   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaabbbbaaaa 005_1.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	92641   Click image for larger version

Name:	aaaabbbbaaaa 006_1.jpg
Views:	2152
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	92642  
Old 02-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Larry3215

What? No pink?

Lookin reeeeeeealy good Chellie!
Old 02-05-2009, 05:57 PM
wilmracer

Looks Great!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:52 AM
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin

sweet

Quick Reply: Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14887 seconds with 17 queries