ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

ParkZone P-51

Old 07-20-2005, 09:12 PM
tailskid

Default ParkZone P-51

Anyone have one? I've been flying mine for over 2 weeks and LOVE it!!!!

Jerry
Old 07-20-2005, 10:02 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

I saw this plane for the first time yesterday when I was out flying my formosa. I was really impressed. Quite fast, decent run time, and looked great in the sky!

The guy flying pitched it into the ground on a hand launch, cart wheeling it a good 30feet. Only damage was a broken prop. Shocked me.

The only negative I saw was that it isn't available as just a plane. I would love to buy it that way and just install my own gear.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:44 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Look around, you can buy:

1. Fuse.
2. Wing assembly.
3. Horizontal and Vertical stab includes elevator and rudder.
4. Cowling.
5. Canopy.
6. Pilot. <---very expensive...I would leave it out!
7. Motor Mount @ Firewall - plastic and perhaps a custom job may not require it.

About a little over $100.00

Local Hobby stores such as J&B Hobby, Colonial Drive and Alafaya Trail, Graves R/C, SR-441 and Lee Road.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Reformed Nitroaddict

Interesting - I didn't know about that Carlos - I will have to look into it.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Gullwing

Yeah I was thinking of going that way, but at that price an Alfa would be the way to go at $119.00 at Hobby Lobby
Old 08-05-2005, 03:37 AM
atlav8r
DJ at RCRN

The radio gear in it is really not bad yes it is on 27MHZ but if you add up all of the parts it cost about as much as the whole thing including the radio. The best package is to get one and then put a 3 cell 2100 TP pack in it. The ESC has a setting for lipos and it will loose a lot of weight from that big NIMH pack. BTW the pilot is only $6.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:11 AM
tommytorino
tommydsblog.blogspot.com

Originally Posted by Reformed Nitroaddict
I would love to buy it that way and just install my own gear.
I did just that for 67$ from a fellow on RCUniverse. For that price it's worth a look as I have a few brushless motors looking for homes. If at all possible I do NOT want to run a gearbox.

Agreed on if your going to drop a hundred bucks the alfa is the way to go.

Tommy
Old 08-08-2005, 09:59 PM
beemer
"Hukt un ee-phlyt"

Originally Posted by tailskid
Anyone have one? I've been flying mine for over 2 weeks and LOVE it!!!!
Yup, I got one too. I walked into my LHS the very first day they arrived. I had never seen, or even heard of parkzone before. I walk in and there's one hanging from the ceiling. They had only put it up about 20 minutes before I walked in. I took one look, and bought one.
I get it home, open it up...drool alot...put it together...drool some more...charge the battery overnight and take it with me the next morning on a little trip to the local soccer fields (12 fields all together). Power it up, give a little running launch and ta-da....she's flying!
She's graceful, sounds awesome and looks like the real thing. Unfortunately I totally misjudged how fast it would actually fly so now I'm fighting to keep it between those really high concrete light posts that are at the corner of each soccer field. Well, one extremely high speed pass and here comes the light post! I give it full up elevator and start praying...she climbs under full power and clears the top of the post. Or so I thought! WHAM! It hit just left of the center of the spinner. The prop explodes, the motor and gearbox get pushed into the fuselage about 2 inches, the post runs down the side of the fuselage and digs into the wing about 80% through to the trailing edge. The plane spins around so fast that the main fuselage actually breaks it back! Poor ol' Frankie goes flying around inside the canopy.

So here I stand, with the remote in my hand, my jaw on the ground watching lots and lots of little pieces falling down. What's left of the plane is still moving pretty quick at this point and comes down in a very horendous crash!

Total flight time: about 30 seconds!
Total time finding the pieces: about 30 minutes.
Stupidity level: off the charts

I salvaged a few little pieces and all the electronics, but ended up buying a whole new one the same day...mostly to keep the wife from realizing I destroyed the first one.

So now I only fly in wide OPEN spaces

------------------------
Just because you think you've cleared the obstactle doesn't mean you have!
Old 08-10-2005, 07:52 AM
jeffreytz

Default Great RTF

I love this plane as well; I guess my only "complaint" would be it is too good and promotes a lot of self confidence too early I got about three weekends out of mine; during that time had plenty of close calls recovering out of overly agressive maneuvers with the fast rate switch, but my bonehead move came when I completely mis-judged how close I was to a light standard in the parking lot (what was I even doing over there, anyway??!), clipped the pole with the wing and went full throttle into asphalt below nose first. Pretty bad wreck, but I think just the fuselage needs to be replaced and that's on order. Hopefully I'll have it back up in the air this weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	050730-1 (Small).jpg
Views:	1060
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	446

Click image for larger version

Name:	050730-2 (Small).jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	447

Highly recommended for any RTF fans; easily my favorite plane. Really unbelievable how much nicer this plane is than say a Wattage Corsair (which I personally found impossible to fly and worthless regardless how low it's discounted at Hobby People).

JT
Old 08-10-2005, 01:24 PM
atlav8r
DJ at RCRN

Wow! it looks like you hit that pole head on.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:00 PM
beemer
"Hukt un ee-phlyt"

Jeffreytz, seeing those pics brings back......memories.:o

Make sure you do a close inspection of the horizontal stab when you put it in the new fuse. Mine ended up with a hairline crack that doesn't appear until you flex the tips up and down. I just put a piece of packing tape across it and it's good as new. The crack is right in the middle, so it wouldn't show when installed in the fuse anyways, but it may have failed in flight had I not put tape on it.

Anyways...my 2 cents.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:49 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

My biggest concern was lack of gear.
So I just added them. It's not that hard.
Here's a pic of my first version in construction on the stang.
Building second version now, with added servo reducer to slow down gear action. Makes it look more authentic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SC Cub 003.jpg
Views:	1050
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	615  
Old 08-17-2005, 04:46 AM
RADRACER

Cool

Originally Posted by beemer
Jeffreytz, seeing those pics brings back......memories.:o

Make sure you do a close inspection of the horizontal stab when you put it in the new fuse. Mine ended up with a hairline crack that doesn't appear until you flex the tips up and down. I just put a piece of packing tape across it and it's good as new. The crack is right in the middle, so it wouldn't show when installed in the fuse anyways, but it may have failed in flight had I not put tape on it.

Anyways...my 2 cents.
Amazingly, although I am on my 3rd fuselage I am still using the original horizontal stabilizer. It's the only thing (because it's so far back) that always survives my crashes, LOL.

At Redrockethobbies.com you can buy all the seperate pieces of the plane pretty cheaply. BTW, if you crash one and are ready for new fuse steal the dash panel sticker off your old plane because you can't buy that one sticker anywhere!

BTW, LIPO fans you can install some butt connectors and a mini SPST switch to your 3rd jumper in order to use both your lipo and NiMH batteries. (See pic).
Make sure to put Deans connectors on everything ASAP to avoid any charging and running glitch problems! Trust me those cheap Tamiya connectors will drive you nutz looking for Gremlins!

Name:	Crashed.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch2.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	648  
Old 08-23-2005, 12:24 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Hey all,
Take a look at "Tuskeegee". 3 Hitec 55 servos for elevator and ailerons, 4 blade prop from Hobby Lobby, Mega brushless motor, retractable landing gear, and since it's a copy of the Tuskeegee air corp versions,the all black air corp, "Frankie" has quite a tan. In the backround is "Frankenstein" my parts and pieces bird that did all the R&D for this one.

Name:	Tuskeegee 001.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	796  
Old 08-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Pokke
E-Flight Newbie

Here's another P-51 to consider....

http://www.ak-models.com/ep51Q.htm

They also have a white Spitfire on sale right now for $50!

I bought one of these from eGrandbuy.com and like it quite a bit. I have yet to maiden the thing, but it's ready to go. Balsa and ply construction and AUW weight around 17g. The level of detail is not as great as the Alpha model from Hobby Lobby, but it's pretty good. I haven't had the Parkzone model in hand so I can't really comment on that comparison.

I've put a MP-Jet 30d on the front with a 3s lipo and CC Phoenix 25. It's burning about 150 watts @ WOT and draws right at 15 amps. Hope to maiden this weekend. I'll post the results!
Old 08-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

I looked at the ad, something on that Mustang doesn't look quite right, cowling appears to be incorrect shape, and canopy seems to be sitting way back on the fuselage. Maybe it's just the photo.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Any who, Tuskeegee maidened quite nicely, so since she's no longer a virgin, I did her up to look like a Vet. Added exhaust and gun stains.

Name:	T.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	948  
Old 08-26-2005, 05:04 PM
Pokke
E-Flight Newbie

No, you're probably right. The cowling and canopy locations and size are not scale. But this is a $60 airplane! It's Semi-Scale in appearance and from the huge thread on RCGroups ( http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329942&highlight=ebay+p51+ ), it's a pretty good flyer as well.

I didn't mean to detract from the Parkflyer model, just wanted to offer up a much less expensive alternative for those who may just want to fly.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

I see there are 2 versions availible, I believe the Q version is the one that looks off, the R version appears more correct.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:07 PM
rayray

Thumbs up Your Tuskeegee looks great

Hi Glacier,

I see you found WattFlyer.com also. Your Tuskeegee looks great !
Love the retracts. Nice job.

Ray Ray
"Tailwind"
Old 08-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Hey, Thought you snuck over to Sticks place to grab all his stuff while he was layed up. Get anthing good?
Old 08-28-2005, 03:44 AM
rayray

Smile

GG,

Nay, wouldn't do that to dear old Sticks. Was working with Dig(itty) on our Strykers in PA. We were thinking about passing by your farrm to pick up some of your extra lipo packs.

Finally got the BP-21 brushless setup installed. Will post the highlights on the Stryker thread for much needed help.

RR
Old 09-10-2005, 02:35 PM
RADRACER

Hey GG! Tuskeegee looks GREAT! My PC hardrive died totally so I've been "awol" thanks to technology for 2 weeks. Here's a shot of my 2 birds before Sept 1st. The one with the spiral spinner is my LIPO/NiMH selectable Bombshell Betty bird with under canopy switch and heavy Great Stuff filled fuse. The other P-51 died on the 1st (it was a freebie anyway from Horizon Hobby due to it's predecessors malfunctioning esc). I was diving it from about 200 feet down to 100 feet when the wing just folded up neat as you please into a perfect V !!! Straight down she went as I dug for the throttle slide. Since this bird came with the front mount throttle on the TX and single stick controller I didn't find it until it was a heap of smoldering plastic all over the ground (with still screaming motor). I am used to the dual stick backside throttled controller.
Wouldn't you know this was the one time I didn't video tape my flight! Still, I convinced my onlooking covey of observing Dove hunters (7 in all) to sign an affadavit saying what they had just witnessed. I called Horizon Hobby and they said send it in. Also you will see the flaps I used on the Modified Mustang for a few flights. They made the heavily modified bird more stable but made rolls MUCH more difficult.
Stay tuned!

Name:	P-51s.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	1429   Click image for larger version

Name:	P-51s2.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1430   Click image for larger version

Name:	P-51Flaps.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1431  
Old 09-10-2005, 03:22 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Looks kinda like airbrakes on it.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:33 PM
RADRACER

Yeah they are flaps I bought from your buddy Steve over on the rcuniverse side (forgot his handle). They kinda soak up power and make it fly a little slower but are meant for a bigger gas plane really.

Quick Reply: ParkZone P-51

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11057 seconds with 22 queries