ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

ParkZone P-51

Old 09-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Lib,
Was it MarshMan?

"T" has some new additions comming, soundboard for .50 caliber sounds, and air retracts. Decided to build a new version with the extras.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:21 PM
Gauge
Microburst

Default Belly landings or not? That is the question!

How do the Parkzone and Alfa Mustangs hold up to the belly landings? I am considering the purchase but would hate to ruin the looks of a good plane by droping onto the ground for a landing. Do you chew through props? Is it worth putting on a set of landing gear or is the weight a challenge for the flight package? (Parkzone)
Old 09-26-2005, 05:57 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Gauge,
Belly landings can be hard on the finish and prop, especially on hard surfaces.
Fixed gear should be no problem with stock set up. Going with retracts may be a little too much. My brushless version carries retracts and steerable tail wheel just fine though.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:46 AM
jeffreytz

Default Belly Landings

Hi, I haven't had any issues with belly landings (although I was sort of skeptical too when I saw this plane and wondered how the prop would last). the prop flexes a bit and so far I haven't had any issues with landings (even before I got good a "flaring" at the end).

FYI, I did get my plane back together (see earlier post this thread) and used the original wing and stabilizer and she's flying just fine. I didn't order stickers or a new pilot so it looks a bit bare, but figure I'll wait a bit and see if I keep this fusalage intact a while longer before dressing it up

JT
Old 09-27-2005, 01:54 AM
Ron

what size is the " stock " battery pack on this model? does it use 8 cells or what? Thanks......
Old 09-27-2005, 06:05 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

9 cell 1000 mah pack, Ni-mah
option is a 3 s lipo
Old 10-08-2005, 03:36 AM
RADRACER

Originally Posted by Glacier Girl
Lib,
Was it MarshMan?
Yeah GG it was MarshMan.

Belly landings are no problem espcially if you add some of that protective Laminate from Therm O Web to the bottom of the wing. Wal Mart carries it in the crafts section. Take off the scoop and trace the wing outline onto the backing side (unless you like marks on your wing) using a sharpie. Cut out holes for the servo wires and have someone help you apply it 'cause once it's stuck, it's STUCK. Poke holes where the various screws go thru and you're ready to rebuild, far stronger. The other HUGE benefit (in my opinion) is that it gives far more strength to the wing to keep it from bending into a V during serious pull ups at high speeds. On the new plane where I DIDN'T do this the wing buckled at about 100 feet and dove straight into the ground destroying the plane in the first week. You could probably wrap the laminate all the way around the wing or at least 2" around the front for added protection but I stopped at the edge.
Old 10-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Great tip, I'll have to check it out.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:19 PM
1LO64

HELP!!!!!!!!!! I need the charger that comes with the the P-51. I know that many of you moved to lipos or use a better charger to charge your batts. If so, can/will you please sell me your stock P-51 charger?
I have the stock Stryker charger I can cash/trade if you're intertested!!
e-mail direct if you can help me
[email protected]

Thanks,
James
Old 10-30-2005, 01:16 AM
brewer

Default P 51

I have found that the p 51 flys great with the prop from a typhoon
Old 10-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Mazin
Creating Havoc as Usual

Default reply to p-51 charger

Hey 1low64 I have 2 of them so if you want e-mail me and we'll get u a charger.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:12 PM
RADRACER

Default Videos from Flying Frankie

I've read here several times that LIPOs don't lose their charge from sitting like NiMHs do. Two weeks ago I charged my new LIPO 2600 battery and tried it yesterday. This is my first attempt to upload a video so we'll see what happens. Here's the link to the videos I hope. Watch Crash1 first. Overreacting on take off. Overcorrecting I had a poor throw and overcorrected and had a small crash. It was a 2 second flight/crash that dislocated the wing and probably broke the skeleton/frame/firewall section that holds the gearbox/motor on because the whole front end could be moved back and forth. Knowing the fuse was toast anyway I slapped 2 pieces of duct tape on it to hold the cowl tight to the fuse and relocated the wing (it had broken one of the scoop pins) with a little help from some more duct tape. I wanted to get another flight out of that fuse and try out my new LIPO battery I had charged a week or two ago (since I heard LIPOs don't lose their charge I thought it would be okay) Watch Crash2 second. http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...sort=1&cat=500 LIPOs DO drain sitting around! After my 2 second flight I SHOULD have had about 15 minutes or more of charge left over IF the battery held its charge. After 20 seconds my motor cuts out! I was listening to music on headphones (not a good idea) and couldn't tell why the plane suddenly wouldn't fly right. If I had heard the motor cut off I would have known how to handle the glide. Fly with Frankie as the plane augers in to the ground and the result. In fact I have a 6 minute video (57.5 Meg) where the esc cuts off halfway thru a trick and I recover, head downwind, turn base on final upwind and land nicely. I am trying to figure out how to compress that one, stay tuned!
Old 12-17-2005, 02:17 PM
TRASHBUG

Lipos have a VERY low rate of self discharge. If your batteries are losing their charge in a short period of time they are either working (running some sort of function on you plane) or defective. Try cycling the batteries to see what kind of capacity they have. This will help eliminate the batteries as the problem.

Good Luck!
Old 12-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Ron

from the look of the content on the last post, he shouldn'r be allowed to play with lithium batteries...they are dangerous if not treated properly, so are model airplanes...either listen to music.... or fly......doing both at the same time will inevitably end up getting someone hurt possibly seriously.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:32 AM
RADRACER

Originally Posted by Ron View Post
from the look of the content on the last post, he shouldn'r be allowed to play with lithium batteries...they are dangerous if not treated properly, so are model airplanes...either listen to music.... or fly......doing both at the same time will inevitably end up getting someone hurt possibly seriously.
Ha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha. I guess I should take out my gum when I ride my bicycle too huh?

I have a 3000 acre cattle ranch with a person per acre ratio equal roughly to the Kalahari Desert. The nearest person to crash into is roughly a half mile away.

Safety fanatics, hahhahahaahahahahahhahaahahahaha
Old 12-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Ron

The nearest person that can be seriously hurt by one of your models, is YOU...these things can be seriously injurious to your own health if not treated with a modicum of respect, and they don't care if you live on ten million acres or in an apartment...lithium batteries have no preference as to who's car/pickup they burn down if they decide they are going to burn because of mistreatment or abuse, or a manufacturing defect.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:27 PM
Bear27

Default p51 first flight

just got one of these bad boys for xmas. have flow the striker for the past 8 months and am surprised how heavy the p51 is. nonetheless went out with my wife and dad as i was home for the holidays to show off the new plane. mom was too scared to come along for the trip. she saw what happened when i was flying my original striker from my roof for a 4th of july party. normally can land on a 10' flat section of roof but was showing off buzzing the pool area when i caught a tree. those 6 beers may have been a factor.

Anyway, first hand launch found the ground. no torque roll problems just didn't throw her hard enough. next time took running start and she takes to the skies. Never really felt confident on this flight. it was foggy and i was flying at a field that was far too small and surrounded by large trees and buildings.

I found the (A) setting far to benign to really control this bird so i switch over to (B) within the first couple minutes. Power was good, response was solid. The problem i had was tracking the plane. With the mist and trees surrounded the park the silver belly blended in as well as the olive top. I should have landed but was just too damn excited to fly.

i was circling dangerously close to a grouping of trees so tried to pull up and out of my turn only to realize i had taken the plane into a severe spinning dive instantly i release the controls and give a slight bit of elevator to pull out of harms way.

All i can say is that this was the spectacular crash of my career. I ended up hitting the top of a dumpster behind the trees in a PG&E lot. Impact was just right if the propeller... lost the front and back wings and the fuse was mangled beyond repair. the sound of hitting an empty dumpster coupled with that popping crushing sound of Styrofoam at 50 miles an hour was amazing. my wife was mortified and all i could do was laugh. wish i hadn't brought them along as is made for a much more somber walk to the crash sight, which fittingly enough was that dumpster.

off to the hobbyshop and surprisingly they had fuse, both wings, cowl, and prop assembly. reassembled before returning back to house as not to disappoint my mom, the person who gave me the gift. So 75$ later i have a "new" p51 and can't wait for flight number two. Amazingly the original prop shaft and assembly pulled through. Although the saying in my house "back the hobbyshop" never rung more true.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:34 PM
RADRACER

from the look of the content on the last post, he shouldn'r be allowed to play with lithium batteries...they are dangerous if not treated properly, so are model airplanes...either listen to music.... or fly......doing both at the same time will inevitably end up getting someone hurt possibly seriously.The nearest person that can be seriously hurt by one of your models, is YOU...these things can be seriously injurious to your own health if not treated with a modicum of respect, and they don't care if you live on ten million acres or in an apartment...lithium batteries have no preference as to who's car/pickup they burn down if they decide they are going to burn because of mistreatment or abuse, or a manufacturing defect.
First off I wasn't "PLAYING with lithium batteries..." I was using them the same as you do.

I have used my TP 2100 LIPO about 20 times with no problem so I have experience with them. Unless you have telekinetic/electronic powers YOU could not have known any more than I did about the charge of the LIPO battery in question BECAUSE this was the very first use of this battery. It is an off brand battery (a 2600, maH 11.1 v LIPO) whose quality is questionable. Aside from that there is absolutely NO POSSIBLE WAY I could crash the plane into myself as your ridiculous suggestion indicates. Though I was listening to music I wasn't wearing a blindfold. For all you know I am an excellent flyer (I'm pretty decent). Also I KNOW how to charge LIPOs (I use a high quality LIPO battery charger). I also charge them outside my truck with the extra long cord routed out thru the window with the battery sitting in a steel bucket.
You knew that right? Apparently you know all about my habits according to your accusations about the possible scenarios of LIPO batteries you ASSumed I was not aware of. FYI, I have 48 tech posts in the last full year on RCgroups and RCuniverse forums chum as a highly respected and experienced poster. But you knew that too, right? I resent your insinuation that I was playing irresponsibly with my plane or battery. I'm not some kid; I'm 47 pal!

Any other ridiculous accusations or absurd paranoia you'd like to flame me with? Why don't you tell us why you really are flaming me? Does it make you feel important to pretend to be an authority figure and belittle others?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 PM
TRASHBUG

Agreed that listening to music and flying is pretty much like listening to music and driving. On the other hand talking on a cell phone and driving is something some folks have a REAL problem doing. Anyway, driving and talking on the phone are both require active participation. Listening to music is passive participation...........unless you are stomping your feet and tapping your fingers I don't see these two items to be in conflict with each other.

The only real problem I see with listening and flying is the headphones will mask other sounds. Like someone yelling DUCK

That first charge you put into your new battery is one to watch closely. I have had new packs arrive with bad cells right out of the box. I no longer buy packs that don't have a balancing plug. I want to check each cells voltage and charge accordingly. I will ALWAYS do this on the first charge and then I go five charge/discharge cycles and them rebalance the pack again.

Jim
Old 12-30-2005, 02:13 AM
Ron

Wink

The response was a direct result of your original posting.
YES you were playing with lithiums..we all do..you were also playing with your toy plane...just as I do with mine. Just admit that you made a silly mistake with your lithium cells...yes you CAN tell how much power or charge is in your cells before using them..but then you already know that as by your own admission you have experience with lithiums....Just admit that you made a silly mistake as we are all prone to do occasionally, lord knows I've made a few in my MANY years...read your original post objectively, have a chuckle at the response, move on. 48 posts eh?..perhaps I've read a couple of them,if so, thanks for the information ...I've posted a few myself in my day and written the odd article... but we won't get into that, it's just part of the hobby....47 years old?......I've been flying since before you were born, but they're still my toys, and I'm sure I have as much fun with them as you do with yours,
I just don't get bent all out of shape when somebody reminds me that what I did was silly, and could cause problems for some one else or for myself. Important??? No I don't think so, just someone who doesn't want others to injure themselves or others...or ruin models or batteries because of not using due diligence and/or a modicum of common sense..the intent of my original post was to possibly get someone to take notice that these " toys " need a little respect. They CAN kill you as the dead guy in Texas who was killed by his own model found out...but he won't do that again will he?...neither will the fellow in Ontario who was killed by a model airplane at a flying site. Or the young fellow who put his friend into the emerg ward at the hospital from an injury suffered at the business end of a small flat foamy model.....I was the guy who had to drive him there...it wasn't pretty. Over reaction? you be the judge of that....carry on...have fun, and don't get bent about a silly mistake you made last week or whatever....just don't do it again it's expensive.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:26 AM
slowmover

Wish I had 3000 acres to fly on with no trees. Naa ! I'm not having fun if I'm not spending my time getting my planes out of trees.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:39 AM
RADRACER

Just admit that you made a silly mistake as we are all prone to do occasionally, ....

I just don't get bent all out of shape when somebody reminds me that what I did was silly, have fun, and don't get bent about a silly mistake you made last week
I admitted that from the start "I was listening to music on headphones (not a good idea) "

Or didn't you read that part?

I wasn't the one who overreacted (or got bent out of shape as you put it) YOU WERE. Plus I didn't get bent out of shape by the mistake as you claimed either. I took it in stride as no big thing. YOU started throwing around that, "you're too stupid to play with lithiums" crap, not me. Now you're trying to pretend you didn't play the blind accuser getting an authority rush. We all know you did, you're busted.

Yes I KNOW mistakes are costly. Did I look "bent out of shape" on the video after the crash? NOPE!

I knew my surroundings and you didn't. Those other guys may have been flying in some tight quartered areas. I wasn't. You assumed I was flying in a tiny area or among 20 other guys. You're not claivoyant. Don't assume you know something the people there didn't. Assuming those other accidents actually happened they weren't alone and you could well be 30. You're not the guy who was making up the crash horror stories and got booted out are you?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Ron,
Your well meaning is understood. But me thinks you take it to far.
I too push safety as paramount. But I've found that you can push it too far, to the point where it's laid upon a deaf ear.
Rad and I both understand lipo safety, and as do you.
And yep you are correct we all screw up sometimes. As long as we learn from our mistakes. And granted some mistakes will take a terrible price.
Am I a newbie? No. I've been flying more then 30 years,and if you check the postings here and R/C Groups, and R/C Universe you will find several thousand postings under the monikers of Glacier Girl / Shelby1.
And yes I've been bitten more then once, even though I knew better.
Common sense is the most important rule, all others are listed after that.
Your point is well taken. But stop at that point, flaming on about it is getting you nowhere, except starting a blood pressure race.
And Rad, why is now that I think of Steve Martin, in "The Jerk", as I think of you out there flying with your headphones on taping your feet and snapping your fingers out of time. LOL
Flying with headphones on.... I'm not so sure it would work for me, I've had the bajeezeus scared out of me by someone walking up behind me while flying, as I was so zoned in on my plane. But hey if you can do it, go for it.
Both/all, look at this as constructive, not combative.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

And moving on. I've finally gotten my lazy butt around to installing air retracts in a new Stang. No flight report as that's as far as I've gotten on this one. If any one is interested, I can post some shots of the install.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Ron

nuff said...which mustang did you put the retracts in??

Quick Reply: ParkZone P-51

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright İ 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10537 seconds with 15 queries