Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

HobbyKing AT-6 (Orange Model)

Old 03-06-2011, 03:22 PM
typicalmale78

Default HobbyKing AT-6 (Orange Model)

I recently purchased a HK AT-6 and finally had time to maiden it today. I set up the CG a little nose heavy double checked all the control surfaces to make sure they were centered with the wings / tail pieces. I also checked the wing / tail and made sure everything was square with the fuselage. The problem I had is after hand launch I gave the model full power to pick up some airspeed and it instantly made a hard left turn and spiraled in a tight circle until it stalled and fell to the ground. I am wondering about motor/prop angle? Which direction should the prop be facing when looking at the plane from the front? Right now it is mounted down and to the right by what seems like quite a large angle. The motor was premounted, so I am not sure what would be the logical adjustment here. Thanks in advance for your time. Also the model does not use rudder fyi.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

You need down and right thrust angles, so looking at it from the front the prop shaft should be pointed down and to the LEFT.

Pointed to the right, from the front, is just going to increase the prop "P" factor and as you saw, pull the nose hard left on launch.

Time to pull the prop and cowl, and see if the mount or motor can be shimmed.

Take some shots of it, we'll be more then willing to give you a hand at correcting it.