Turnigy 5a and ap02 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Turnigy 5a and ap02

Old 07-23-2010, 04:40 AM
Billmanak

Default Turnigy 5a and ap02

I am having a problem setting this up. The motor won't start up anywhere near the bottom of the stick, and there is a long delay. Once it starts, it runs a couple of seconds then stops and will not restart. I have noticed the light on the AR6400 blinking which I think signifies low voltage. When the motor stops, it goes back to solid.

I am not sure if it's a timing issue or what. I am hoping somebody with more experience can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

I vote for power issues... low battery voltage. Stock ParkZone and E-Flite 1S lipos don't have a very high C rating. You could try a test using a single cell from a larger 2S pack. Just hook up via the balance connector.

BTW, I hope you are not using the internal BEC to power the AR6400. The BEC is rated for 5V, the AR6400 is only designed to run on 1S lipo up to 4.2V. The setups I have seen run parallel leads from the battery to the ESC and RX. Only the - and Signal wires are connected to the AR6400.

Finally, does the Turnigy ESC have throttle programming?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:22 PM
ragbag
Super Contributor

Default Throttle setting?

Originally Posted by Billmanak View Post
I am having a problem setting this up. The motor won't start up anywhere near the bottom of the stick, and there is a long delay. Once it starts, it runs a couple of seconds then stops and will not restart. I have noticed the light on the AR6400 blinking which I think signifies low voltage. When the motor stops, it goes back to solid.

I am not sure if it's a timing issue or what. I am hoping somebody with more experience can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Check where the throttle setting is, the "idle" set should be all the way down. Some ESC's, GWS especialy will not let the motor start some times.

>>
Old 07-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Billmanak

Well I've fought with it some more, and still can't get it to calibrate to the throttle or enter programming mode. I pulled the positive wire (w/diode) off the 6400 to ESC connection and am using two batteries for now. One to power the rcvr and one 30c batt for the esc.

Checked the Hobby King site for some help, and now it says at the very bottom of the description not to program with radio. They still left up all the features you are supposed to be able to program though.

Looks like I'll have to order a programming card and wait another month for it to arrive.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Real Gambler

Originally Posted by Billmanak View Post
Well I've fought with it some more, and still can't get it to calibrate to the throttle or enter programming mode. I pulled the positive wire (w/diode) off the 6400 to ESC connection and am using two batteries for now. One to power the rcvr and one 30c batt for the esc.

Checked the Hobby King site for some help, and now it says at the very bottom of the description not to program with radio. They still left up all the features you are supposed to be able to program though.

Looks like I'll have to order a programming card and wait another month for it to arrive.
Sadly, I think there's some sort of delay coming out of the AR6400 which gives us a hard time, programming an ESC. Best way to program a ESC for it, is to program it on another receiver! Then, once programmed, plug it back to the AR6400
Old 07-24-2010, 07:11 PM
philipa_240sx
Super Contributor

I always buy programming cards with new brands of ESC's. The throttle method of programming sucks.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Billmanak

Thanks for the suggestion Gambler. That was just the ticket! Seems to like soft timing, and a hard start up mode. Now to finish my micro nutball.