Mounting 2 Receivers in the same plane... - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Mounting 2 Receivers in the same plane...

Old 06-03-2010, 01:02 AM
Flyer_One
Rookie RC Flyer

Default Mounting 2 Receivers in the same plane...

Can I mount 2 receivers in the same plane (FM which came with the plane and the AR500 which came with my DX5e transmitter) or am I just better off switching receivers should one go bad?

Would this cause any problems in the long run if I went with 2?

My reasoning for wanting to do this is if one receiver goes bad, I have another receiver to plug into without having to constantly remove and remount receivers.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:57 AM
offtom
Megans Servant

Suppose you could.

But I haven't had a reciever go bad on me in several years.

Little extra weight and taking up room in an already cramped plane if you ask me. Then this is just one opinion.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:00 AM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Two For One?

Hello Flyer_One,
I would just use one Rx at a time. My reasoning is;
If a Rx goes bad, you will crash, and it will be bad. Full loss of control, motor doesn't shut off (unless you have "Failsafe" and it works!), plane badly damaged or lost.
If the plane is badly damaged and you find it (the debris) the other Rx may well be damaged, also. So, you're out two Rx's.
If you don't find it, you're out two receivers.
If you have reason not to trust a receiver, replace it before you fly.
JMO,
Ron
Old 06-03-2010, 03:24 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
Hello Flyer_One,
If a Rx goes bad, you will crash, and it will be bad. Full loss of control, motor doesn't shut off (unless you have "Failsafe" and it works!), plane badly damaged or lost.
If the plane is badly damaged and you find it (the debris) the other Rx may well be damaged, also. So, you're out two Rx's.
JMO,
Ron
Good advice
Old 06-03-2010, 03:38 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Flyer_One View Post
Can I mount 2 receivers in the same plane (FM which came with the plane and the AR500 which came with my DX5e transmitter) or am I just better off switching receivers should one go bad?

Would this cause any problems in the long run if I went with 2?

My reasoning for wanting to do this is if one receiver goes bad, I have another receiver to plug into without having to constantly remove and remount receivers.
Some of the my club members that fly giant scale models put more than one receiver in the critical parts of the model, such as one receiver on the right elevator, right aileron, and the same for the left side.

But, another member that flys expensive gas turbine models simply puts in just one of the top of the line Spektrum receivers.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Unless you're going to use both receivers simultaneously, there's no practical reason for having two in there.

As Skarkster says, the receiver will probably go bad when the plane is in the air, and when it does, you could potentially lose BOTH receivers in the ensuing crash.

The only real practical use for multiple receivers in a plane is if you're going to use them to control different areas of a large plane. That's what I plan to do with the 10' electric B-36 I plan to build some day, when I'm rich and retired. Each wing will have its own complete radio system, as will the tail. Then I don't have any long runs for receiver power, and I can lose either wing and still maintain some modicum of control, at least enough to steer the beast away from the crowd before crashing, or possibly even save the plane.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 AM
50+AirYears
Super Contributor

As hinted at previously, a pair of matched recievers, same frequency, mfg, and model, driving something like one rcvr handling left elevator, other handling right elevator, and with 4 piece ailerons, something like one reciever hooked to drive right outer and left iner, and the other hooked to the remaining two, would be doable, but of dubious real value. And of course, separate battery packs for each.

Another possible reason would be to have a spare reciever on a different frequency to avoid possible frequency conflicts at the field. If the pimary freq is in use, just unplug the primary reciever from servos and battery, and transfer the connections to the secondary reciever. I don't believe it would be practical or desireable to use Y connectors from both recievers to a single set of servos, and if each reciever had it's own set of servos to shared control surfaces, the linkages could get somewhat complex

And, as has also been suggested above, a reciever failure in flight would in all likelyhood cause an impact that could damage or destroy both recievers.

Even the reason two recievers were placed into a plane I've seen back in the sixties, extra channels for more scale operating features, was only needed to add extra operational features to scale models, using two recievers and two transmitters on separate frequencies. With today's 7 to 14 (and doesn't a Europeand mfg have a 20+ channel radio?) channel radios, that doesn't need to be done, either.

The one plane I remember with two recievers was back in the early 60's, before I went into the AF. It was a C-124 Globemaster. Used, IIRC, 2 10 channel reed radios on separate 27 MHz frequencies. One radio, held by the command pilot, had rudder, elevator, elevator trim, aileron, and nose wheel steering. The second radio, held by co-pilot, had flaps, retracts, paired throttles for the 4 engines, and the 9th and 10th channels operated the nose clamshell doors. (Yess, that's right-10 channels, 5 controls!) Two 10 channel radios and 2 pilots to do what can be done, or outdone, by a single radio, better, today.

Today, yes, it can be done, 2 recievers in a plane, but, why?

Just my opinion.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:17 AM
ragbag
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Sky Sharkster View Post
Hello Flyer_One,
JMO,
Ron
Also if you are using Lipo type batteries and they burst into flame when crashed it is total lose for both receivers.

Another thought.