Modern day RC Models ? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Modern day RC Models ?

Old 03-21-2019, 12:52 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Modern day RC Models ?

Am I only one who is finding model range boring on the flight line ? So many Edge, Extra's, SBach etc. and many in same colour schemes.

Someone arrives with an older or different machine and people flock to check it out. Doesn't that indicate the blandness of todays offerings ?

Don't get me wrong ....I actually have some of those !

And with no disrepect intended - I am fed up with every model seemingly whether authentic or not .... C160 Cargotrain is good example .... in USAF livery ...

I go online to find a BAE Hawk ......... I open the page which says Red Arrows Hawk............ and immediately presented with USS Forestal T45 .................

Yes .... its one of those days !!
Old 03-21-2019, 06:04 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

100% in agreement Nigel. I've been whining (or whinging ) about this for years. I'd add warbirds to your list above as well. I've never been a warbird fan. The R/C market is over saturated with warbirds. They're all you see anymore. I prefer twins and general aviation kits but they are few and far between and when you do find them they're usually larger than I want and/or over priced. There are Mountain Models, Park Scale models, Peter Rake, Pat Tritle, Dave Blum etc that do scale kits but even those are older overdone planes. So little offered of any planes less than 40 years old. I've lost so much interest that I haven't flown for almost a year (mostly due to health and lack of affordable flying sites) and even my time spent building is sporadic at best. If I could get an all or nothing sale of three rooms of R/C planes and parts I'd probably do it and take up a new hobby. I've sold out of R/C three times since 1973 from boredom or marriage (or boredom with marriage)....

Joe
Old 03-21-2019, 09:54 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

I think if I had invested maybe $50,000+ up front to pay for tooling I would be pretty reluctant to go for anything but the most popular models.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:39 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
I think if I had invested maybe $50,000+ up front to pay for tooling I would be pretty reluctant to go for anything but the most popular models.
Agreed ..... but I think its like clothes fashion .... the buyers /market get 'directed' by producers. Soon there is only that available.

In the case of our models .... as each phase comes up ie 3D ... the market gets saturated with 3D / extreme machines. But go on any forum and look at what people are scratch building ... when people are asked what models they want to see - rarely do you see what factorys produce.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:08 PM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
But go on any forum and look at what people are scratch building ... when people are asked what models they want to see - rarely do you see what factorys produce.
While I could get a set of plans for a P-51 Mustang and scratch build it, why bother? It would just be lost in the squadrons of Mustang ARF/RTF models seen at almost every field, and quite frankly, I could buy one for much less than it would cost to build one.
When I scratch built, I would either design my own from a clean sheet of paper (or a blank CAD screen) or from a set of plans (often times modified to convert them from glow to electric) of something not commonly seen. They would always garner attention at the field as other pilots tried to figure out (a) what they were, and (b) who made them.