E-flite At6 texan Build log(with pictures!!) - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

E-flite At6 texan Build log(with pictures!!)

Old 12-31-2008, 11:42 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Originally Posted by pvtzemerak View Post
Heh,
Here you go Newjak,
I just got her all put together, all i need is the battery, and ESC. Ill probably have her flying by spring time or the beggining of summer, mainly because im 15, i dont have a job, and i spent all my christmas money on snowboarding.
Happy new year!
--PvT
P.s- Do these pictures make you want to come back to her?
I see you got past the problem with the wheel collars on the retracts. What did you do to fix it? I am also planning to have mine ready for the spring, but if a nice winter day comes along I will have to fly! I hope to have it ready soon.

The R/c truck thing is not a new distraction. I have been in to that for the past 8 years. Flying always comes first!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:48 PM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

I havnt fixed that yet, i just put the wheels on
I might use a defferent method to keep the wheels on, i dont know what its going to be yet.
--PvT
Old 01-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Shaggy

Hey guys I have been looking for a thread on this plane, I have nearly finished mine, I am just waiting for ESC, Motor and Battery, I am using Dualsky motor and ESC as I have only had good things happen.

I am a bit worried about flying the old girl, as I have an alfa P-47 at the moment and have flown nothing bigger, so it will sure be interesting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	88727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	88728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	88729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	88730  
Old 01-01-2009, 07:20 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Hey guys I have been looking for a thread on this plane, I have nearly finished mine, I am just waiting for ESC, Motor and Battery, I am using Dualsky motor and ESC as I have only had good things happen.

I am a bit worried about flying the old girl, as I have an alfa P-47 at the moment and have flown nothing bigger, so it will sure be interesting.
I wouldn't worry too much. As long as it is set up properly, bigger usually flies better. It should be much smoother flying than the smaller planes. At least that has been my experience since "moving up" to 25 and 40 size planes.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Shaggy

cool I am very glad to here that. what does the 25 to 40 mean, i am new to all this flying stuff only been doing it about 3 months.

Sorry if I ask silly questions
Old 01-01-2009, 07:50 PM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Hey shaggy,
Welcome to the thread, Newjak and I are trying to keep this thread alive
Anyway, i feel the same way. Im not sure i want to fly mine yet. all i need is the battery and ESC.
And im not sure if i want to fly mine untill a PERFECT day. Im going to take mine to a friends so we can both take a look at her and make sure she is ready to fly with no faults.
Good luck, keep looking at the thread
--PvT
Old 01-03-2009, 04:29 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

I think you'll be fine with it, as long as you don't pay attention to bad CG advice. Like any other straight wing warbird I've had, my HOB AT-6 was never really stable until set at 25% center chord. I finally relocated the batt hatch to right behind the cowl to used batt weight, versus massive lead, to set the CG for the most part. Pretty much where I want it now. Mine is still relatively heavy for its size and not a bad flyer at all. I still would think that P38 would be more difficult to fly that the AT-6. In models, the AT-6 is no different than any other warbird, as the full size was only a trainer as it had lighter wing load than the smaller winged warbirds, and didn't have heavy armament, etc. Still, it has a large wing for its size, and should be easier to fly than many warbirds at scale.

I really need to get mine out soon and fly again. The last flight was a bit underpropped with the old brushed 400 and was a real pig in the air. Still flew fine though. Moved up 1/2" in prop size which should add ample power without overloading the motor. The 3:1 ratio box with large teeth gears sound really nice.

Name:	Texan_Ziroli_HOB.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	88883  
Old 01-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Shaggy

Well it is all built and ready to go, i have just checked what I am pulling, and my motor which is a dualsky 650w is only pulling 300w of power has any one got an suggestions on what to do, is this enough it has a 12x8 prop on it. and a 3s 4350mah battery.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Shaggy

OK well new battery 5S I now pull 740W that gives me a plane of about 130W Per 1LB it should have no problem taking off.

So saturday it is.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:51 AM
calven

Hello all, I have been flying my at6 for almost 1 year. It's a very nice plane. my setup is: power 25 ,12x8 prop, CC54 tbird esc,CC bec, hs81's,hs75 on retracts, 2x 3s 2100 batts paralleled. Cg and throws set as rec in manual and it flys beautiful. I have my flaps set at 30deg for landing but I don't use them for taking off. It's a real floater on landing, so be ready for that. No problems or issues , just a great flyer and looks beautiful in the air. Happy flyin everyone!

Name:	Picture 081.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	89789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calvins 024.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	89790   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calvins 029.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	89791  
Old 01-10-2009, 05:03 PM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Hey calven, welcome to our thread
im just getting mine ready, and making sure i have everything in right.
keep posting those crazy pictures, im loving them
--PvT
Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 PM
darylm44

This is the advantage of belonging to a club. When I was at your stage I would ask one of the experienced club members to check out my plane and maiden it for me. Once they got it trimmed out I was sure that I could handle it. If there is something wrong or way out of trim a new plane can be a "hand full". Having someone with experience really increases the odds of having a successful maiden and a new bird to fly over the long haul.

The other thing to do if you have a simulator, is to deliberately move your trim tabs to create an out of trim situation and then fly the plane and try to trim it out while flying. This will help you with your maiden.

I have maidened my last couple of planes myself since I have gained a lot of experience.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Shaggy

Hello calvin, i just wondered what sort of ground you took off from?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 AM
calven

Hello calvin, i just wondered what sort of ground you took off from?
Hi Shaggy, I fly off grass , its a nasty bit of real estate, lots of bumps and holes, and the grass is not very well groomed. I put 2 3/4" wheels on and it seems to do just fine. No issues yet, but I check the landing gear after every 3 or 4 flights just to be on the safe side.

Name:	Calvins 035.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	90324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calvins 020.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	90326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calvins 027.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	90327  
Old 01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Originally Posted by calven View Post
Hi Shaggy, I fly off grass , its a nasty bit of real estate, lots of bumps and holes, and the grass is not very well groomed. I put 2 3/4" wheels on and it seems to do just fine. No issues yet, but I check the landing gear after every 3 or 4 flights just to be on the safe side.
Dang. does she taxi any good?
I cant wait to get mine done, right now im having trouble with the retracts and the wheels...still.
ill post pictures later, thanks for contributing to my thread everyone, i appriciate it

I'm planning on using 2x 3 cell 2200mah batterys to save some cash. seeing as i have on hanging around, i may as well use it

I also tried hooking up everything using a different planes ESC and battery, the one retract wheel didn't fit right, so i have to take care of that now

Good luck with everone else's
--PvT

Last edited by pvtzemerak; 01-29-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:18 AM
calven

Hi PVT, she taxi's just fine, it's the landing's I worry about. It took a little practice useing the flaps to slow down to land. The first few landings were pretty hot and involved lots of bounces and I thought for sure the landing gear was going fold up or part company with the plane! But, so far so good, everything has held together just fine. I did some beefing-up in the center section , mainly the gear mount and added a solid spar, so I think that helped alot. I still try to grease it in as gently as I can. I had no trouble at all setting up the retracts, I used a hitech hs75 retract servo and haven't had to adjust anything yet. The robart scale wheels are much better than the ones it came with, only 1 collar is needed to keep them in place. Good luck with your build. Hope your maiden go's well.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:37 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Originally Posted by calven View Post
Hi PVT, she taxi's just fine, it's the landing's I worry about. It took a little practice useing the flaps to slow down to land. The first few landings were pretty hot and involved lots of bounces and I thought for sure the landing gear was going fold up or part company with the plane! But, so far so good, everything has held together just fine. I did some beefing-up in the center section , mainly the gear mount and added a solid spar, so I think that helped alot. I still try to grease it in as gently as I can. I had no trouble at all setting up the retracts, I used a hitech hs75 retract servo and haven't had to adjust anything yet. The robart scale wheels are much better than the ones it came with, only 1 collar is needed to keep them in place. Good luck with your build. Hope your maiden go's well.
Thanks Calven, right now im thinking of just training on fomies and other aircraft, i dont think im ready yet
Ill post pics soon
--PvT
Old 02-09-2009, 09:40 PM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Anyone got any new updates?
It's cold out here in Pennsylvania, and soon flying seasing is coming up and i only have one plane. ( custom made 3d bipe)
So right now im dying to get her done for my clubs first airshow.
Please keep on adding pictures to keep me motivated.
Thanks
--PvT
p.s- sorry for the double post.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:05 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Sorry for the bump everyone.
But after reading an article, it seems that Dubro 1/8" Plated Brass Collars (#139) Seem to fix the collor/ shaft problem, there only 2$ from tower hobbies.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD833

Thanks, keep posting pics
--PvT
Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Nice find. I am looking out of my window and all I see is snow. Time to get back to work on this bird. Spring will be here before you know it.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 PM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Originally Posted by newjak View Post
Nice find. I am looking out of my window and all I see is snow. Time to get back to work on this bird. Spring will be here before you know it.
Ayup,
I gotta get her ready before my clubs first funfly
Newjak, when you put the wings together, did you notice that they were a little wabbley? or is it because I still have the strings out?
thanks
--PvT
P.S
I forgot to post pics of the flaps, retracts, and elevator servos, i will post them soon, don't fret! Please keep stopping by to see our (Newjak and I's) progress
Old 04-04-2009, 02:45 PM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Sorry for the bump guys, just going to give an update.
Well, i was glueing the covers for the retract wheels when all of a sudden the CA dropped down to the retract (only one)
So, now i am going to fly without retracts ONLY for the maiden and first few flights. after about 5-10 flights, Ill buy the retracts and put them in.
Thanks for reading!
--PvT
Old 04-06-2009, 11:50 PM
AlexinFlight

Pvt....ya gonna finish the Texan and get her airborne? When is the maiden?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 AM
pvtzemerak
3D Huckifyer!

Originally Posted by AlexinFlight View Post
Pvt....ya gonna finish the Texan and get her airborne? When is the maiden?
Sorry for the boring thread alex, right now im out of a job because of school, i plan on getting her done twords the summer. Once when i get my dads camera fixed i promise i will post pics of servos and how im doing so far. The battery + ESC is over 200$ , so it will be twords the beggining of summer, probably during july.
Im really sorry, i will post pics though!
--PvT
Old 04-07-2009, 05:43 AM
AlexinFlight

no worries, not a boring thread Pvt, just wondered how close you were to finishing? Hey we all do what we can when we can. I'll be looking when you get the pics up. Good Luck getting her all buttoned up!

Quick Reply: E-flite At6 texan Build log(with pictures!!)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15908 seconds with 23 queries