Just picked up an eflite ascent 450 glider-SWEET! - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Just picked up an eflite ascent 450 glider-SWEET!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Horizon Hobby was about to send me a new Ascent. I asked if I could have store credit for a different plane. They said yes and I am getting a Stearman PT-17. I will wait until they resovle their problems with the Ascent before I go down that road again.
VP

Last edited by Victory Pete; 08-04-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I'll sign on to that plan any day. With the Radian outperforming the Ascent in every department except looks, I think you can do better anyway. I think Eflite would do well to completely redesign the plane or replace it in the line-up.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

I am dissapointed with the last transaction with Horizon Hobby. I did get a Stearman PT-17 in exchange for the defective Ascent, but I didnt get the $10 difference from the lower price of the PT-17. Also, the battery was damaged in the Ascent crash, so I asked for credit, they are sending me a new battery but I dont have an Ascent to use it in. I had to repeatedly call back over and over. No one returned my calls promptly. This is not the typical great customer service I had been used to. I was not treated like a valued customer. I may be shopping elsewhere.
VP
Old 08-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I sure would hate to see Horizon Hobby forget why they are successful and go down that cost cutting road of eating your own tail and pretending to be well-fed. There are so many companies eating their seed corn today and not realizing that the bean counters are killing the company that pays them.

Sometimes the larger a company gets, the stupider they get. Finally they are a dinosaur and when their tail gets whacked it takes half an hour for the head to say "ouch!"
Old 08-06-2010, 03:30 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I think Horizon was more than generous and accomodating to you. Most suppliers would not have offered you the original replacement. And even fewer would have allowed you to swtch another product.

And you complain.

Can't please everyone.

I was provided with two more examples of how committed to customer satisfaction Horizon really is. I think they are amazing. But you may not agree.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:50 AM
MWShelton

I've got an Ascent and I'm scared to fly it now, maybe I should change to an aftermarket prop and maybe reinforce the motormount before I maiden it. Horizon Hobbies has released too many airplanes in the last couple of years with major dangerous defects. Horizon has been very fortunate that no one has been injured by their cheap props on the Radians and Ascents. Their designs are some of the best in the business, but they have cut cost with diregard to customer safety. So far their customer service has been outstanding, but that might be about to change. There are many many Extra 300 owners with upside down wings, I examined one myself. As far as I know Parkzone is denying their is a problem. It is definitely a manufacturing defect and falls under the warranty. If Parkzone refuses to correct it could be the start of their downhill spiral. I guess I will try to locate an aftermarket prop and epoxy the motormount on my Ascent, but I shouldnt have to do that on a $190 airplane.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:50 AM
spad

I agree: great outfit, HH.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:51 AM
Henry Sistrunk

I have had great service from Horizon. The one problem I have had was resolved to my satisfaction very quickly.
Henry
Old 08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I think Horizon was more than generous and accomodating to you. Most suppliers would not have offered you the original replacement. And even fewer would have allowed you to swtch another product.

And you complain.

Can't please everyone.

I was provided with two more examples of how committed to customer satisfaction Horizon really is. I think they are amazing. But you may not agree.
They can please me, they have many times, by making good on a factory defect. I simply wanted an even exchange of credit, which totaled $33.99.
VP
Old 08-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

The manager said the damaged battery was "collateral damage" they were not responsible for that. A battery needed for the plane to function that was bought from them is considered "collateral damage"? So instead of giving me the credit for the battery, which I could use to buy more items from them, he sends me an Ascent battery I cant use!
VP
Old 08-06-2010, 11:28 AM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Originally Posted by MWShelton View Post
I've got an Ascent and I'm scared to fly it now, maybe I should change to an aftermarket prop and maybe reinforce the motormount before I maiden it. Horizon Hobbies has released too many airplanes in the last couple of years with major dangerous defects. Horizon has been very fortunate that no one has been injured by their cheap props on the Radians and Ascents. Their designs are some of the best in the business, but they have cut cost with diregard to customer safety. So far their customer service has been outstanding, but that might be about to change. There are many many Extra 300 owners with upside down wings, I examined one myself. As far as I know Parkzone is denying their is a problem. It is definitely a manufacturing defect and falls under the warranty. If Parkzone refuses to correct it could be the start of their downhill spiral. I guess I will try to locate an aftermarket prop and epoxy the motormount on my Ascent, but I shouldnt have to do that on a $190 airplane.
I have been refered to this site for a good replacement prop http://www.graupner.de/en/products/3...tcategory.aspx Also add some thin CA to your rudder and elevator control horns. Mine loosened up and I have seen another at my club loosen up in flight and crash.
VP
Old 08-06-2010, 03:34 PM
MWShelton

When I was assembling the Ascent the elevator control horn was loose and just about fell out of the slot. I epoxied both control horns.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I have been refered to this site for a good replacement prop http://www.graupner.de/en/products/3...tcategory.aspx Also add some thin CA to your rudder and elevator control horns. Mine loosened up and I have seen another at my club loosen up in flight and crash.
VP
I don't know if the control horns are plastic on the Ascent (I can't imagine they aren't) but if they are, the CA will slowly eat its way through it. Use epoxy instead, it doesn't eat plastic
Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 PM
MWShelton

Numb my Ascent control horns are wood. I thought epoxy would hold them better. I'll see if I can locate an aftermarket prop and I'll check the motormount before I maiden it.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Originally Posted by Numbthumbs View Post
I don't know if the control horns are plastic on the Ascent (I can't imagine they aren't) but if they are, the CA will slowly eat its way through it. Use epoxy instead, it doesn't eat plastic
I didnt know CA eats plastic. Does it say it on the bottle?
VP
Old 08-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Numbthumbs
Master of Bisaster

Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I didnt know CA eats plastic. Does it say it on the bottle?
VP
Nope, but it does. Loctite does too. It ate through my TX harness. It was one of those plastic clips like you have on backpacks with a strap on it. I CA'd it to make it stay, and a few weeks later the TX fell off, on the grass luckily. The plastic was totally corroded and all brittle.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Old Tin Man

For those that are looking for replacement blades, the Graupner Cam Gear Prop 25-20 10x8" are a direct replacement for the stock blades. They fit right into the stock spinner and backplate no re-work needed.

They run silky smooth and pull better than the stock set. I think that I paid around $11.00 at Coyote Hobby in Oregon city, Oregon. I have had mine in since this spring and they have been great.

If you have a stock set and have any vibration replace the blades before you have to replace the plane. I have had 2 sets of stock blades come apart on me. The last set did not make it thru a bench test. But one of the blades left a nice 6" gash in my hard plaster wall. I highly recommend that all stock blades be replaced, no need for a nasty surprise from a blade that has separated from the yoke.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:55 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Hold everything! Them's fightin' words. Is eFlight not using the -1 propeller as Parkzone is? Is there any evidence that the -1 prop has ever broken under normal use? I know mine on a five month old Radian has been treated not gently at all and is in one piece with no sign of weakness or out of balance.

So hasn't eFlight changed props? Or are they selling Ascents so slowly that pre-March propellers are still on the shelves, going out to unsuspecting buyers?

Now I'll buy your assertion of possible better performance from the Graupner prop and the price certainly is bearable. But I think we have to be very careful before we start calling stock props defective or dangerous. At the very least we should specify time purchased and the part number of the broken prop.

To my mind, Horizon did a good job of reacting to the prop issue, finding the exact problem and fixing it in a timely manner. When I ordered my Radian I asked if it would have the new "-1" prop. They said they were virtually certain it would, but if I found that it didn't they would send me a free one with a phone call. I paid extra compared to some Chinese planes for their product and got solid value for my money. Paint me happy and will do business with them again.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:57 AM
MWShelton

Rockin there is no number on my Ascent prop. Check out the Ascent thread on RC Groups. When the prop breaks it rips out the motormount and pretty much destoys the airplane. I know Horizon has been good to you and a lot of other people, but evidently you're not aware of the Extra 300 problem. Check out the Extra 300 threads. I examined one myself, the wings are upside down. It is a manufacturing defect and as of right now Horizon refuses to admit there is a problem much less correct it. There's hundreds of guys out there with $200 airplanes with upside down wings. Unless Horizon steps up to the plate and corrects the Extra 300 problem their great customer service record is over. Me, I'm gonna buy a good $10 prop to go on my Ascent and not take a chance of blowing up a $190 airplane up and possibly injuring someone. The way Horizon is handling the Extra 300 problem right now I no longer have faith in them. I sincerely hope they change their position on the Extra because they have some of the greatest designed planes ever, no one can argue that. But as I said before I'm no longer taking a chance with their customer service. Common sense dictates I would be better off spending $10 on a prop rather than risk injuring myself or worse someone else.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Old Tin Man

Default Way different prop

Hi Rockin, I think that maybe we are talking about two different props here. The prop on the Ascent is very different from the one on the Radian. The Ascent props are longer and the blade is narrower.

Some of the props on the Ascent have deep casting marks at the root end and that seems to be the point of the failure. At least it was on the two sets that I had, they separated at the root end of the blade about a 1/2" from the bolt hole. It looks like the blades may have been cast to cold.

As far as I know none of the Ascent props have any -1 that was only on the Radian props. When I bought my Radian it needed to have the new blades installed but I didn't know it. I called HH and they sent me all the parts that I needed since I had a problem with the original blades in flight.

I think that HH is just having a bad year, they seem to be off there game for some reason. If I remember HH is employee owned. Correct me if that is wrong. Maybe they are experiencing cash flow problems.

HH has had problems before with there product but they have always done right by me. I have no problem fixing things if they are willing to help with sending parts my way. Now if that stops and you end up with a problem and stuck fixing it all on my own dime that is a problem. I hope that HH continues to produce and back-up the products.

Any who, long post, I just wanted to let folks know that there are blades that work for the Ascent and they are a direct replacement. I think that the new blades are worth installing just for the piece of mind.

On edit:

Rockin, you have a Chinese plane it is just built to HH specs.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Hold everything! Them's fightin' words. Is eFlight not using the -1 propeller as Parkzone is? Is there any evidence that the -1 prop has ever broken under normal use? I know mine on a five month old Radian has been treated not gently at all and is in one piece with no sign of weakness or out of balance.

So hasn't eFlight changed props? Or are they selling Ascents so slowly that pre-March propellers are still on the shelves, going out to unsuspecting buyers?

Now I'll buy your assertion of possible better performance from the Graupner prop and the price certainly is bearable. But I think we have to be very careful before we start calling stock props defective or dangerous. At the very least we should specify time purchased and the part number of the broken prop.

To my mind, Horizon did a good job of reacting to the prop issue, finding the exact problem and fixing it in a timely manner. When I ordered my Radian I asked if it would have the new "-1" prop. They said they were virtually certain it would, but if I found that it didn't they would send me a free one with a phone call. I paid extra compared to some Chinese planes for their product and got solid value for my money. Paint me happy and will do business with them again.
Go to my post #45 of this thread.
VP
Old 08-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Old Tin Man View Post
Hi Rockin, I think that maybe we are talking about two different props here. The prop on the Ascent is very different from the one on the Radian. The Ascent props are longer and the blade is narrower.

Some of the props on the Ascent have deep casting marks at the root end and that seems to be the point of the failure. At least it was on the two sets that I had, they separated at the root end of the blade about a 1/2" from the bolt hole. It looks like the blades may have been cast to cold.
Darn! I was hoping the Ascent might have benefited from the Radian troubles. Looks like they never generalized from "our Radian prop has a problem" to "we better check all our folding props for similar problems." The separation between eFlight and Parkzone probably didn't help the situation either.

I think that HH is just having a bad year, they seem to be off there game for some reason. If I remember HH is employee owned. Correct me if that is wrong. Maybe they are experiencing cash flow problems.
I hope the bean counters haven't taken over the company. Accounting people are not appropriate managers, either by personality or disposition. A healthy company MUST keep their function as strictly a service department or the cost cutting buzzards will kill the company that feeds them. Value is more important than low expenses. Accountants, as a general rule, don't understand that.

Any who, long post, I just wanted to let folks know that there are blades that work for the Ascent and they are a direct replacement. I think that the new blades are worth installing just for the piece of mind.
Ten dollars is a small price to pay for safety with better performance added to the bargain. That the Graupner blades do not need to be modified in any way to work is a tremendous bonus.

On edit:

Rockin, you have a Chinese plane it is just built to HH specs.
I was talking about directly importing a Chinese plane. With the Internet, it is easy to find Chinese imports of good quality and performance. Only Horizon's customer service makes them able to charge the premium prices. I sure hope that Horizon is just having a bad year, but some of their Extra 300 shenanigans are very discouraging. Continuation of that kind of denial/fancy footsteps would reveal something much more fatal than just a bad year.

Hey, the customer always wins! If Horizon wants to back their products, great! If not, thanks to the Internet, reasonably experienced fliers can locate and purchase some great quality planes without Horizon's traditional customer support levels at enough savings that you really won't miss the fact that Horizon is gone. It's the new fliers that will suffer.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:43 AM
MWShelton

There's not a Graupner 10x8 to be found anywhere on the internet in the USA. I backordered 2 from ICARE. I guess the Ascent pilots have bought them all up. After seeing some pics of the carnage caused by the stock prop I'm not flying mine till I get a Graupner on it. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on one let me know. I googled it and every site I pulled up was out of stock. ICARE was the only place I could backorder and they are in Canada.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Old Tin Man

Originally Posted by MWShelton View Post
There's not a Graupner 10x8 to be found anywhere on the internet in the USA. I backordered 2 from ICARE. I guess the Ascent pilots have bought them all up. After seeing some pics of the carnage caused by the stock prop I'm not flying mine till I get a Graupner on it. If anyone knows where I can get my hands on one let me know. I googled it and every site I pulled up was out of stock. ICARE was the only place I could backorder and they are in Canada.
Graves has 4 sets in stock:

http://www.gravesrc.com/GRAUPNER_Spa...rugpc1008b.htm

Hope that this helps.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:48 PM
MWShelton

Now they have 2 sets in stock. Many many thanks Tin Man.