Just picked up an eflite ascent 450 glider-SWEET! - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Just picked up an eflite ascent 450 glider-SWEET!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:43 AM
320pilot

Default Flying the Ascent 450 BL

Originally Posted by *rider View Post
Are folks still having fun with their Ascent 450 BL's? Mine has been built & bench tested for awhile but I have yet to maiden, wanted to start with the ParkZone Radian. The build went well and I have the recommended e-flite battery, and ar6100, just waiting on a calm day & nerve to maiden. I did check the ESC programming and the brake works - so I think I'm all set for maiden just check CG & whatnot.
I flew the Ascent 450 BL quite a bit last fall. I am using the Ar6100 Rx with my Dx7 Tx. LiPo is an Outrage 3S1P 1300mAh 20 C XPlite20. Great LiPo, just fits, and with the battery a few mm from the spining outrunner motor C ofG is right on. Get 15 minutes+ of flying at continuous half throttle .
At limit of visibility, have never had a reception problem with the AR 6100.

"Warning" Motor is an outrunner, so make sure wires from motor are secured against inside of fuselage. I thought they were clear, but had some binding, and could have burned out the motor/ESC.

One other item, I had one of the plywood control horns pull off a control surface (elevator) . Either it happened with a crash, or the control horn pulled in mid-air, and caused the crash. Pull it out now, and epoxy it back in place (both).

I would limit the rudder travel a bit, at full travel I managed to spin the Ascent twice....just center the stick, and it rolls wings level,,,if you have enough altitude to recover.

Get an extra prop, when they are in stock.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ascent on rock2.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	95719  

Last edited by 320pilot; 03-17-2009 at 02:11 AM. Reason: edit text
Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Thanks for the info!! I will take your advice re: the bellcranks and use some epoxy. Good to know you have had no issues w/ar6100 as that is what I have installed. I did secure the motor leads as that just jumped out at me like "danger danger" lol.

I forgot to update you folks - I did maiden this a few weekends ago with limited success. I did a thorough pre-flight check, everything appeared OK, C/G good, etc. launched, climbed out nicely, felt like the rudder had lots of authority on right-hand turns went to correct and realized I had literally _no_ rudder authority on left-hand turns knew I had to bring it in so cut motor and gently circled right until I lost enough altitude to gently plop it in the grass.

No damage - checked everything again - looked OK, re-launched, same scary situation! Landed safely again.

Called my buddy and he said "weird bring it over to the shop" so we checked it out w/incidence meter and turns out I needed sub trim / travel adjust to fix, it was moving to the right per the manual but the travel to the left was insufficient. Visually it looked OK but clearly it was causing an issue!

It's sitting @ my office desk waiting for a lunch break on a nice day.

How much do you recommend I should limit travel on the rudder? It's set to manual spec. right now. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 11:04 PM
320pilot

Default Rudder travel Ascent 450 BL

Looks like I reduced rudder travel on mine to 5/8 inches left and 5/8 inches right. Try this and see what you think.
Manual for the Ascent say 1 1/2 inch rudder travel right and left. I found that with that much travel, it really flipped it into a (too) steep bank, and possible spin if you suddenly give it a hard over stick at lower speed.

I will keep out of trouble with this setup, until I know the glider better.

My rudder center is offset a bit ( a little left rudder bias) . I don't know if this was to counteract torque, ie "P effect" or my mis-aligned horizontal stab.

Elevator travel is 1/2 inch up travel, a little more down. I didn't program in high rate yet.

To be fair, I like to fly wide, scale turns, and have a large field to fly in/over. I haven't had a chance to really try and climb in a thermal yet.

Feed in a bit of power, when you bank it in a turn, especially at low level. In level flight it will fly at about 1/4 throttle. A tight turn, in level flight I go to 1/2 throttle.

A few other ideas; When I walk to the middle of a field , to launch I carry an extra canopy screw. I remove the rear canopy screw, then pivot the canopy (loosen front screw) to side. Carry a small philips screw driver in your pocket. Connect the LiPo then replace rear screw of canopy (if you didn't drop it in the grass).

I can launch mine solo now. Hold it at rear of fuselage, by TE of wing at eye level . After a quick control check, start timer, go to 3/4 throttle then I place my left hand on the elevator/aileron stick, give it a little nose up elevator input, then a gentle launch. It climbs like a bat-out-of-h**l . Now quickly move right hand back to right stick..then left hand left stick to reduce throttle.
You need a neck strap for this to work.

When you come into land, I pull power to idle at about 40 feet high on base turn, turning final nose it down a bit in the turn (helps fold the prop) then just hold it a few inches off the grass. It will float a long time in ground effect, so give yourself a lot of room first few times. If it just had flaps or spoilers....

One other thing I really like is spare parts are available (from time to time)and not too expensive. A set of wings are less than replacement main blades for my Trex 500 heli. I now have an extra set of Ascent wings , stab/rudder and fuselage on hand "just in case".

good luck
Old 03-10-2009, 08:40 PM
320pilot

Let me know how your flight works out, with this reduced rudder travel

320 pilot
Old 05-02-2009, 03:08 AM
retnug

What kind of AUW are you guys at with your battery and receiver?

Thanks

retnug
Old 05-23-2009, 12:13 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

I have yet to check...my Ascent is parked over at a buddies house. Next time I'm over there I'll put it on the scale.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Hi
I am considering buying an Ascent 450. At my club 2 guys have them, here is what they found: The control rods flex when they are pushing the linkages, they told me left turns and down are affected by this. They reinforced them with some metal tubing of some kind. Also they had loose motor mounts. Otherwise they looked great to me.
VP
Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Old Tin Man

I have a 450 that I fly almost every time out. So far this "one" has been great. If you have flown a bigger glider this one responds faster to inputs and needs bigger thermals to keep it up. BUT once you find one that does provide the lift it can spec out fast.

I have never had any problems with the linkage on the new 450 model that I have had but these are hand build so they very from plane to plane. My first 450 had a bad vibration and thru a prop, Eflite sent a new motor and prop and it lasted about 10 seconds on a bench test. They have some problems with there props. Two in a row is a problem. Eflite made it right with a complete new plane, but I went with a good prop. Recommend that if you buy one consider a good name brand new prop blades as part of the price of the plane.

So after all the problems that I had at first this is my favorite glider, I can take it most places to fly and it does fly great.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:34 AM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Originally Posted by Old Tin Man View Post
I have a 450 that I fly almost every time out. So far this "one" has been great. If you have flown a bigger glider this one responds faster to inputs and needs bigger thermals to keep it up. BUT once you find one that does provide the lift it can spec out fast.

I have never had any problems with the linkage on the new 450 model that I have had but these are hand build so they very from plane to plane. My first 450 had a bad vibration and thru a prop, Eflite sent a new motor and prop and it lasted about 10 seconds on a bench test. They have some problems with there props. Two in a row is a problem. Eflite made it right with a complete new plane, but I went with a good prop. Recommend that if you buy one consider a good name brand new prop blades as part of the price of the plane.

So after all the problems that I had at first this is my favorite glider, I can take it most places to fly and it does fly great.
Thanks for the info, Horizon Hobby has excellent customer service. They have replaced defective parts for me many times.
VP
Old 06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

I have this one its a very pretty glider, but ran into the Radian and is absolutely no comparison for lift, if you want plenty of thermal fun which is what sailplanes are all about, the Radian wins hands down....my Ascent is collecting dust, simply lacks performance for a sailplane, but still nice. There is a huge difference..<>.. The Radian was designed by a group of seasoned sailplane pilots and they came up with a beauty... BEST
Old 07-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Hi
I am putting together my Ascent and I have noticed something. The 2 dowels that locate the wings are off center a bit, it tends to angle the wing to the left looking from behind. Any one else notice this?
VP
Old 07-10-2010, 09:41 PM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Apparently this is intentional to counteract the torque of the motor, I asked Horizons Product Support and they confirmed this. also I see the pictures on Horizons Website show it offcenter also. I was wondering how sensitive an AR6200 Rx is to heat, I have it mounted next to the ESC and I noticed the fuselage gets quite warm while I was bench testing it. I also wondered about the brake in the motor for the prop to fold back. If I cut the throttle the prop does stop spinning but it doesnt seem to "brake" I was wondering what is the normal operation of this brake. I managed to fit the 2 Rx's of the AR6200 in there alright, I have the satellite Rx in the back part of the Fuselage, I am going to dab a bit of silicone under it to secure it. I just have to glue the tail feathers on and she will be done.
VP
Old 07-10-2010, 09:49 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Typically the brake will stop the prop. Air flow is what pushes the prop back, so on the bench the prop likely will not fold.

Many brushless motors have a "notchy" kind of feel which is enough to stop the motor even if the brake is not set. But in the air the prop will continue to turn, overcoming this characteristic. Be sure to bring your ESC instructions to the field with you to be sure you can set that brake if it is not properly set.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Henry Sistrunk

Hey Guys' Back up to my posts #11 &13 in this thread. Unless they have changed the speed control, it is pre-programed to brake and cannot be changed. I am still flying mine.
Henry
Old 07-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
Typically the brake will stop the prop. Air flow is what pushes the prop back, so on the bench the prop likely will not fold.

Many brushless motors have a "notchy" kind of feel which is enough to stop the motor even if the brake is not set. But in the air the prop will continue to turn, overcoming this characteristic. Be sure to bring your ESC instructions to the field with you to be sure you can set that brake if it is not properly set.
I am not sure if mine is working correctly or not, I need to actually fly it. There doesnt seem to be any obvious braking action, maybe it is a subtle thing?
VP
Old 07-11-2010, 03:39 AM
Old Tin Man

Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Hi
I am putting together my Ascent and I have noticed something. The 2 dowels that locate the wings are off center a bit, it tends to angle the wing to the left looking from behind. Any one else notice this?
VP
The dowels are offset approx 3 mm to the left of centerline, one is at 15 mm and the other at 12 mm from centerline to the outside of the dowel pin.

The break should stop the prop. Do you have the both the sub trim and the trims on the face of the TX set at 0? Both need to be set at 0 or less. You can test the break by spinning the prop without the battery installed and feel the amount of resistance then install the battery and power up the system setting the throttle at 0. You should feel a small change in resistance when the system has power. The motor uses a small amount of current to resist the prop movement in flight. Hope that helps.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Originally Posted by Old Tin Man View Post
The dowels are offset approx 3 mm to the left of centerline, one is at 15 mm and the other at 12 mm from centerline to the outside of the dowel pin.

The break should stop the prop. Do you have the both the sub trim and the trims on the face of the TX set at 0? Both need to be set at 0 or less. You can test the break by spinning the prop without the battery installed and feel the amount of resistance then install the battery and power up the system setting the throttle at 0. You should feel a small change in resistance when the system has power. The motor uses a small amount of current to resist the prop movement in flight. Hope that helps.
I am not sure of your "left of center line" reference, mine is left of centerline if I am looking at the front of the plane. Basically The wing is angled to the left looking from the back of the plane. When you say trims are to be 0 or less, is 0 in the center? I will try the resistance test with and without battery. Thanks for your help.
VP
Old 07-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Old Tin Man

I consider zero trim with the buttons in the center of the travel. Just wondering if your ESC is seeing a little throttle and thinking that you don't want brake yet.

If you are having any trouble with anything on your plane I would call Horizon Hobbies back. I have had little trouble getting them to make it right. But there was one time that I did have to beat them regularly over a week before they saw the problem. don't think you will have that problem. In the end I don't think that there is a better hobby company for product support and over all products.

Hi, I have had 3 - 450 Ascents still have 3 sets of wings and 2 fuses. none of them have the wings angled. They should be dead on.

Just the dowels are offset to the left of centerline. Here are two photos that show they are 3 mm different and all the wings I have are the same. Can you post a photo of the problem? Maybe I am all screwed up!

Name:	2010-07-11 11.53.56.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	131688   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-07-11 11.55.05.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	131689  
Old 07-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Hi
I did the test with the battery on and off. With the battery on If I spin the prop it does have some resistance and will stop quickly. With out the battery it will spin a couple of times. I guess it is working, it is a subtle effect. I suppose it is suppose to be as to not waste battery energy. Once it folds it probably stays folded and doesnt want to turn. Well my Ascent is completely assembled. It was tricky gluing the tail together and getting it to be aligned properly. I have a hard time throwing it to do the "glide test" It seems so fragile. How much damage do these gliders sustain with doing belly flop landings? Here is a link to Horizons picture of the Ascent, sure enough the wing is angled to the left, just like they said. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...FL2700&Index=1
VP
Old 07-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Default Propeller failure on maiden launch

Hi All
I have a new Ascent that I hand launched for the first time this morning. Bad news, prop broke when I advanced the throttle and the resulting imbalance tore out the motor and firewall. I tried to land but the CG was out because the motor and prop assebly was dangling out the front, so it landed hard nose first in the turf. The G force damaged the wings. I am a bit dissapointed and discouraged, I had heard reports of these propellers breaking alot but this was a virgin plane. I called Horizon Product Support and I have to send in the Ascent for evaluation. I am not even sure I want another one now if these propellers fail even when they are brand new. As I was putting my damaged Ascent away a club member with another Ascent which was not new, had the same exact thing happen. I dont know that planes history but I know mine was certainly a factory defect.
VP

Name:	Ascent propeller broken on maiden launch 001.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	132412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ascent propeller broken on maiden launch 002.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	132413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ascent propeller broken on maiden launch 003.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	132414  

Last edited by Victory Pete; 07-24-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Edward953

Default broken prop

Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Hi All
I have a new Ascent that I hand launched for the first time this morning. Bad news, prop broke when I advanced the throttle and the resulting imbalance tore out the motor and firewall. I tried to land but the CG was out because the motor and prop assebly was dangling out the front, so it landed hard nose first in the turf. The G force damaged the wings. I am a bit dissapointed and discouraged, I had heard reports of these propellers breaking alot but this was a virgin plane. I called Horizon Product Support and I have to send in the Ascent for evaluation. I am not even sure I want another one now if these propellers fail even when they are brand new. As I was putting my damaged Ascent away a club member with another Ascent which was not new, had the same exact thing happen. I dont know that planes history but I know mine was certainly a factory defect.
VP
Exactly the same happened to mine. About two hours flying time then prop snapped motor torn out, tough landing ...

Horizon have hopefully got the message as they didn't quibble with me at all, sent a new plane within 36 hours to my door. Great customer service but they have a problem.

I am going to replace the prop - any advice from anyone on the best replacement? Flew really well up till then got one 45 minute flight with decent thermals.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Victory Pete
WWI Flying Ace

Originally Posted by Edward953 View Post
Exactly the same happened to mine. About two hours flying time then prop snapped motor torn out, tough landing ...

Horizon have hopefully got the message as they didn't quibble with me at all, sent a new plane within 36 hours to my door. Great customer service but they have a problem.

I am going to replace the prop - any advice from anyone on the best replacement? Flew really well up till then got one 45 minute flight with decent thermals.
Hi Ed
Did you have to send them the plane for evaluation?
VP
Old 07-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

This is a known problem and Parkzone fixed their problem with a new prop, same part number but ending with "-1." I don't know whether this would transfer to Eflight, but both companies, being subsidiaries of Horizon Hobbies, probably share the same parts and problems. Whether you got the updated prop or not would depend on the manufacturing date of your plane. When I received my Radian, they told me to check the prop and they'd mail me a free -1 prop if I needed it. I didn't and my plane was purchased in March. Keep us posted on what Horizon does. They know there's a problem with their old folding propellers and should make it right. All they want to find out is that it didn't break from impact with a large immovable object, like a car, tree or planet earth. Your photos make it clear that didn't happen.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Edward953

Default broken prop

Luckily the local distributor is 10 miles up the road from where I live. Drove up there the day after with just the fuselage. Got there before the office opened. They took one look, said thanks, give us your name and address and that was it. next afternoon UPS with new plane at the front door.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:24 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

At my skill level I'll pay a couple more dollars for that kind of service any day!

Quick Reply: Just picked up an eflite ascent 450 glider-SWEET!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14452 seconds with 16 queries