EFlite Deuces Wild build thread. - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

EFlite Deuces Wild build thread.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Nose cone is on. Well it is curing. It is held on with medium foam safe CA since I do not have "canopy glue"
Old 08-22-2008, 01:53 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

WOW. I just did a full run up with both motors, instead of jsut one as I did before.

I got a very ugly rattle. I quickly throttled down and took a look at the motor. Sure enough one of the bolts rattled loose. I had them secured with blue loctite. I will loctite it down again tomorrow.

Aside from one bolt being loose, I saw what looks like a very small crack in the backside of the firewall. Now that the motor is off, this is a great time to go back and epoxy up that area.

I am sure it is fine, but I do not want my motor shooting off in flight. While the plane can fly on 1 motor, I woudl rather not try it
Old 08-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Manta1
No Shoes is MY FRen

wow! good eye! glad you caught it
Old 08-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Liquidity::I've been caught one motor down twice, the first time was a real bad time as I'd just pulled vertical after a speed run when the port side quit (never had a chance) but the 2'nd time I got her back with a butt-load of rudder & a wee bit-o-aileron,I did'nt go counter-rotate'in but on her refit in Dec, I'm go'in three-Blade counters, I put a drop of Goop on my thread's sometimes if theres a prob to"back-up" the lock-tight, I'm glad you found the busted ply-mount in time!!! you build threads gonna help alott of us plan'in to do the DW and I can't thank you enough for the effort, your bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 285.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	76038   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 287.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	76039   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 305.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	76040  
Old 08-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I think tomorrow when I epoxy the ply, I am going to use some gorilla glue around the firewall also. I want to ensure the firewall is secure to the fiberglass nacelle
Old 08-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

when you epoxy the ply use a single layer of Drier sheet (used bouce)lay it in epoxy wet-out the top with epoxy (easy on the epoxy as it's got some poundage,,) It'll triple the strength , Bub steve
Old 08-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

How about some glass I have some light fiber cloth I can put on there too.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:22 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Smoke um if you got um!!! thats even better!!!Is it mat or rove??(mats kinda heavy) bub steve
Old 08-22-2008, 11:52 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
when you epoxy the ply use a single layer of Drier sheet (used bouce)lay it in epoxy wet-out the top with epoxy (easy on the epoxy as it's got some poundage,,) It'll triple the strength , Bub steve

Is that before or after the dryer sheet's been used? I'd rather not go to the flying field and leave with the nickname "Snuggle" lol
Old 08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
iFLYrc_Vic

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Thanks. She is almost ready. A few minor things to do. Part of me wants to fly it now, but another part of me wants to wait for the Electric Fly in at the end of Sept.

I think I want to wait. That way more people get to see the maiden. however it will go....
Although your thoughts to "share" your maiden with others is very noble, I recommend doing all maiden flights when there are as few people around as possible. Several reasons and the most being that of safety. For AMA sanctioned flyin's, most CD's (contest directors) will not allow maiden flights. You never know what might happen on that shake-down flight. Loss of control could result in serious injury to spectators, other pilots and other planes.

After your maiden and post flight checkout, you can then fly your model safely with confidence in front of a crowd. Please take this into consideration for your maiden.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:18 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
Is that before or after the dryer sheet's been used? I'd rather not go to the flying field and leave with the nickname "Snuggle" lol
That'd be "Used" & those dryer sheets still retain some Smell to 'em after they been used but after you've epoxied 'em you won't have to worry about the "Snuggle's" moniker I wouldn't think but I've been known to be wrong once or twice in my lifetime

Standing By,
SJ
Old 08-22-2008, 02:35 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
I am sure it is fine, but I do not want my motor shooting off in flight. While the plane can fly on 1 motor, I woudl rather not try it
I don't remember which trip up to Hodge's it was, the guy's name, or the plane.....

I do remember it was a large twin gasser on it's maiden, lost a motor and the pilot decided to try flying it one more time around the field.

I also remember that the sound reached us several seconds after the crash....

They took the truck over to gather the pieces.

Were you there for that one Bry, or were you on a food run at the time?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:12 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Originally Posted by iFLYrc_Vic View Post
Although your thoughts to "share" your maiden with others is very noble, I recommend doing all maiden flights when there are as few people around as possible. Several reasons and the most being that of safety. For AMA sanctioned flyin's, most CD's (contest directors) will not allow maiden flights. You never know what might happen on that shake-down flight. Loss of control could result in serious injury to spectators, other pilots and other planes.

After your maiden and post flight checkout, you can then fly your model safely with confidence in front of a crowd. Please take this into consideration for your maiden.

Noted. The fly in is on the weekend. I will get there early to maiden it before the fly in starts a day or 2 before.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
I don't remember which trip up to Hodge's it was, the guy's name, or the plane.....

I do remember it was a large twin gasser on it's maiden, lost a motor and the pilot decided to try flying it one more time around the field.

Not there for that one.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:15 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I am pretty sure I got video of it...

on my spare hard drive, somewhere
Old 08-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Manta1
No Shoes is MY FRen

just make sure you wait until after 6:30 or 7 pm if you fly before sat!! i gotta work until 6 every day,but i imagine ill be driving back and forth to work from camper at macs
Old 08-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Ok I reenforced the crap out of the firewall. I put everything back together for one motor. I ran it up and I still go the HORRIBLE shaking at 3/4 throttle. I lowered it back down. Check the bolts, then removed the spinner (thinking it is out of balance) I then ran it back up with jstu the prop. It did fine this time.

This tells me the spinner is out of balance. Is there a solid way to balance a spinner, or am I better of replacing it? Can anyone direct me to 2 QUALITY spinners. 1 has to be counter rotating.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Ok disregard the spinner question. I was able to get it to work. Some cursing, some punching the ground, but it is fixed.

It is nice to stand behind a model when you run it up. The power is like my slimers.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:35 AM
Manta1
No Shoes is MY FRen

good deal dude! cant wait fer the maiden..you sure you can wait a whole nother month?
Old 08-23-2008, 02:38 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I dont know. It is killing me. I want to fly it now, but I know it is better to wait.
Old 08-23-2008, 02:58 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

fly it now, FLY IT NOW!!!

if you fly it now, I'll put the Taylorcraft together this weekend.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:05 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Hey Mod, is there anyway to ban the Monkey from this thread?

Why have you not put the Taylorraft together yet.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:31 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I think I would have to do something that violated the TOS within this thread first...

because I have been lazy.

I can use the 480 from the funtana in it, it would drop right in.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:02 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Looks good Liquidity! Good to know you're catching all these things now, before the maiden. Good luck man.

Mike
Old 08-23-2008, 04:29 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post

That was beautiful, man. Reminiscent of the Ball Turret Gunner poem I like so bad. Or a Haiku.

A WattFlaiku, if I must.

P.S. - To the mods: I really dig the AJAX editing, 'tis a thing of beauty.

Quick Reply: EFlite Deuces Wild build thread.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14914 seconds with 13 queries