E-Flite P-47 - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

E-Flite P-47

Old 06-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
max2112 is gonna let me borrow his Dremel tool with a cutting disc. he said that's what he JUST used for the mount and it worked like a champ. Thanks to all you wonderful wattheads for all your help!! You guys make this hobby just that much more fun!!!
That's what I used too Mike. Just go slow and you'll be fine. Oh...and don't sneeze. Dave's right.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:15 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
For epoxy, I get mine from Walmart as well. It's cheaper than HTU or any of the other hobby shops, and it's the same exact thing.....

Dave,

Did you have any problems getting the razor saw in there and not damage the nose? I kept having problems with the wider blade of the razor saw.....
Sorry, should have mentioned that I pulled my stick out of its mount to trim it. If it's in tight, I'd probably use a dremel, too.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:17 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

In advance of the sneeze, God Bless You!

Good luck Mike! You'll love flying this plane!

Dave,

It pulled out? Maybe that's why some get that dreaded vibration?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Ohhh. I remember a certain grass-hopping individual had that motor vibration issue! But he's all better now.

In advance of the sneeze, God Bless You!

Good luck Mike! You'll love flying this plane!

Dave,

It pulled out? Maybe that's why some get that dreaded vibration?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Max2112 cut her to length for me this morning. We cut a little at a time until we eventually reached the 1" mark. We kept dry fitting the motor after each cut. I had to angle the screw so the motor came up and to the left a bit, so it was centered with the hole in the cowl. After that, I just CA'd the motor mount to the stick to make sure she doesn't shift position while in flight. I'll be using hot glue to reinforce the stick mount to the fuselage. Besides, I don't think the extra weight is gonna hurt, if this plane normally has to have weight added to the nose.

All electronics installed except the two aileron servos. I need to pick them up from my LHS. All that is left to do is install the elevator stab. I'm not doing the rudder mod at this time.

Did you guys use the double-sided tape to hold the cowl on? I was debating on whether or not to do that. It seems it would be a headache trying to get it off later on. Also, what about the wing covers on the bottom of the wing? Did you guys use the double-sided tape that was on them? If so, how hard is it to remove if you decide to take the landing gear off? Thanks.

Mike
Old 06-09-2008, 12:08 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Mike,

I am using the double-sided tape for the cowl for now, the plan is to change that over later to a couple pieces of light ply and 2 servo screws......

As for the landing gear, I cut out the area where the landing gear attaches from the wing panels (I used the tape there as well, then used clear packing tape around the edges to further hold it in place). This way I can easily access the screw areas to either have the gear on (hard-surface runway) or have the gear off (grass-field belly-flopper).

Will the hot-glue go down and penetrate to secure the stick? I can't imagine it would get far before cooling and setting. I would still recommend letting some CA wick in there....(I know, shuddup already with the CA! LOL)
Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Mike, just to chime in on the nose: some people have said that the nose fits snugly enough you don't even need the tape. Since I don't own this little gem just yet I can't confirm that. Kev sounds on the money about the landing gear. It's nice to have a wheels on/wheels off option.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Kev!! I didn't even think about using ply and screws for the cowl. I think I'll go ahead and do that.

I doubt the hot glue will penetrate, but I still plan on using CA to sink in there, and then using the hot glue to hold it in place from the outside. I'm trying to add weight to the nose while reinforcing the mount...two birds with one stone kind of thing. Thanks for the tips friend!

Mike

Last edited by Angler-Hi; 06-09-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:29 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Anytime, Mike!
Old 06-09-2008, 12:30 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I guess rare earth magnets are not an option on the cowl...I don't really know watt it looks like but they work great on my P-40.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:00 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

James,

I don't think those would work all that well.....the cowl is so thin.....

The balsa ply on the foam, with a couple servo screws is super simple.....KISS method, yanno
Old 06-09-2008, 04:07 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

James,

I don't think those would work all that well.....the cowl is so thin.....

The balsa ply on the foam, with a couple servo screws is super simple.....KISS method, yanno
I LOVE that method: Keep It Simple Stupid!!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Yup.....learned that when I went to EMT school 15 yrs ago.......
Old 06-09-2008, 04:18 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Shoot...I hear it everyday. Hey thanks again for all the "obvious" ways around this bird Kev! Sometimes I just look so far ahead, that I miss the obvious right in front of me.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:34 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Shoot...I hear it everyday. Hey thanks again for all the "obvious" ways around this bird Kev! Sometimes I just look so far ahead, that I miss the obvious right in front of me.
Mike,

We all do that sometimes. That's one of the things I love about Wattflyer; all the people are so helpful and willing to share setups and build info.....it just makes the learning curve for the newcomers to the hobby a little less steep.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:41 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well God knows I appreciate it!
Old 06-11-2008, 01:46 AM
wilmracer

I just started the bubble top conversion on my old one ... I'll be doing her up like the one in the Udvar Hazey center (Smithsonian at Dulles airport)
Old 06-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by wilmracer View Post
I just started the bubble top conversion on my old one ... I'll be doing her up like the one in the Udvar Hazey center (Smithsonian at Dulles airport)
Make sure and post some pictures Wilm.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I'm gonna use medium foam safe CA for the horizontal stab and to reinforce the stick mount. I'll also be using hot glue over the CA to reinforce the stick mount from the outside. The only thing left to do is pick up those other two servos. I'll have this plane ready by Saturday...WAHOOO!!!!!
Old 06-11-2008, 03:28 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

I'm gonna use medium foam safe CA for the horizontal stab and to reinforce the stick mount. I'll also be using hot glue over the CA to reinforce the stick mount from the outside. The only thing left to do is pick up those other two servos. I'll have this plane ready by Saturday...WAHOOO!!!!!
Hey Mike. I would be careful with the CA on the stick. I like your idea of gorilla glue better, especially if you smear a little around the base of the stick and onto the foam about 3/4". I would even push some 1/8" holes into the foam around the stick and make sure you get some glue in them. I used the CA on my first one and figured it would wick into the stick hole somewhat. It did. It kept sucking it up, so I kept adding it. It wasn't until after the first crash that I took the wing off and found that the CA ran all the way through the stick opening and onto my ESC wires and servo wires. It just didn't stop in the stick hole like I hoped. Be careful either way. You might have better luck than me.

Incidentally, Grasshopper's idea of the thin ply gasket seems to be the best. Like PD1 taught me, you can cut 1/32" ply with scissors. Use an Xacto for the inside square cut. I think the sticks are a standard 10mm.

Yes, and post some damn pictures!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Andy!! I'll go with that Gorilla glue then. I might put a little CA on there but not so much that I keep adding. Thanks a million for the tip!

I'll post some pics of what she turns out like after I'm done.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:31 PM
sgf323

Has anyone had issues with a loose elevator? The left side elevator is loose because the rod linkage that pokes into the hole on the end has slowly widened the hole.

It's causing the plane to be a bit of a handful. I may end up using a carbon fiber rod or something near the end of each to tie them together better. Any other suggestions?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:35 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by sgf323 View Post
Has anyone had issues with a loose elevator? The left side elevator is loose because the rod linkage that pokes into the hole on the end has slowly widened the hole.

It's causing the plane to be a bit of a handful. I may end up using a carbon fiber rod or something near the end of each to tie them together better. Any other suggestions?
Can you add something to the hole (toothpick or similar) to wedge it tight again? Maybe even wick in some CA after filling the hole?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:41 PM
sgf323

I'll try that out, thanks!
Old 06-13-2008, 12:17 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Anytime!

Quick Reply: E-Flite P-47

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10133 seconds with 11 queries