E-Flite P-47 - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

E-Flite P-47

Old 06-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Kev. I'm pretty sure you've seen some crazy things...BTW, I love those "World's Craziest Police Videos". I appreciate what you do...and the patience I know you HAVE to have.

Not to go off topic here, but everytime I see a person trying to fist fight, bite or attack a cop in those videos, I always yell out, "shoot that mother..."
Old 06-07-2008, 05:07 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Thanks Mike.

In the last 6 weeks, I have had a trooper-involved shooting (bad guy got shot, then went to jail), and (just this last Thursday) a guy decided to fight another one of my troops on the Interstate (got pepper-sprayed, then went to jail). Each time, they had to call for help, I had to clamp down and do my job, then wonder how many years were just taken off my life from the stress.....LOL

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.....
Old 06-07-2008, 07:31 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Kev, buddy you are worth your weight in gold to those police officers, because you're routing reinforcements when the situation gets ugly (shootout, abduction, serious bodily injury, etc.). I am sure it is no fun listening to some of that stuff in "real time".

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Thanks Mike.

In the last 6 weeks, I have had a trooper-involved shooting (bad guy got shot, then went to jail), and (just this last Thursday) a guy decided to fight another one of my troops on the Interstate (got pepper-sprayed, then went to jail). Each time, they had to call for help, I had to clamp down and do my job, then wonder how many years were just taken off my life from the stress.....LOL

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.....
Old 06-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Just stay safe friend.

Well, I connected all my servos to make sure they were centered, and noticed that two out of three were stripped out from the crash with the mini Pulse XT. No big deal, I can pick them up at my LHS. I don't plan on doing the rudder...I might. I only have one servo that works now. I think I may have some extras lying around.

Also, how did you guys glue the elevator stab to the vertical stab? It's a pretty tight fit, just dry fitting things. If I were to try using epoxy, it would just fill up at the seam as I'm sliding the elevator stab in there. The manual says to dry fit it, then to glue it using foam-safe CA. How exactly!!??
Old 06-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Back to our regularly scheduled program: on a personal note I would like to say a kind soul by the name of James (smokejohnson) picked up an E-Flite P-47D for me on Thursday- definitely a beyond-the-call-of-duty kind of good Samaritan action on his part. I am paying him for the full reimbursement price of retail price, boxing, and shipping. What more can I say?

Bob
Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
Back to our regularly scheduled program: on a personal note I would like to say a kind soul by the name of James (smokejohnson) picked up an E-Flite P-47D for me on Thursday- definitely a beyond-the-call-of-duty kind of good Samaritan action on his part. I am paying him for the full reimbursement price of retail price, boxing, and shipping. What more can I say?

Bob
NICE!! When are you gonna start the build friend?

P.S. "Way to go James"!! Another good man!

Mike
Old 06-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Mike have you looked at any build threads or reviews on the E-Flite P-47. I think RC Universe and RCG have some (I hardly go there any more:o). I know that one of my older issues of Backyard Flyer had a nice article on it and mentions connecting tail control surfaces. I won't be back home 'til this evening, so maybe if you haven't found something by then I can post an extract of the article dealing with it. In the meantime I'll search the other forums and post back.

Bob

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Just stay safe friend.

Well, I connected all my servos to make sure they were centered, and noticed that two out of three were stripped out from the crash with the mini Pulse XT. No big deal, I can pick them up at my LHS. I don't plan on doing the rudder...I might. I only have one servo that works now. I think I may have some extras lying around.

Also, how did you guys glue the elevator stab to the vertical stab? It's a pretty tight fit, just dry fitting things. If I were to try using epoxy, it would just fill up at the seam as I'm sliding the elevator stab in there. The manual says to dry fit it, then to glue it using foam-safe CA. How exactly!!??
Old 06-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Mike, it's going to sit for a while, but you can bet I will open the box and stare at the goodies! I am very slow and methodical and a perfectionist so I sometimes redo stuff two, three, four times. Now I have a P-40 Warhawk, a PT-19 waiting on me, and then the P-47. But if the Thunderbolt goes together as easy as I think, then it might get bumped in front of the PT-19 project.

NICE!! When are you gonna start the build friend?

P.S. "Way to go James"!! Another good man!

Mike
Old 06-07-2008, 07:50 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post

Bob
Dropped the P-47 off at the MailBox store this morning. It won't leave out until Monday...you should have it by Thursday .
Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Bob,

Mike Parsons did a slam-bang nice review of the P-47.....

I'll see if I can find a link.....
Old 06-07-2008, 07:56 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Here's the thread with the link to Mike's article.

One of the deciding factors in MY decision to buy one, for sure!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=e-flite+p-47

Oh, Bob, my $.02? Don't bother with the Rudder Mod. You can do it, but I think it's more trouble that it's worth. The plane flies super sweet without it. Again, just my opinion.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Hmm. I just looked at the RCG review/build and all it said was:

"After attaching the tailwheel to the fuse, I elected to install the working rudder option. It is simply cut from the fuse, then beveled for adequate throw. The elevator is slid into position and glued square to the fuse and parallel to the wings."

I would consider that near-useless.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

S-a-a-w-w-e-e-e-t-t!! Thank you again buddy. Or as Steve Cooper would say: "Thanks smokeybub!"

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Dropped the P-47 off at the MailBox store this morning. It won't leave out until Monday...you should have it by Thursday .
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Kev, Mike's build is more detailed- a much better review in that regard. I thought he had reviewed it already. I have seen his E-Flite P-47 pics in the past. I like rudder, but I will probably not bother on the Thunderbolt. Thank you for the suggestion(s).

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Here's the thread with the link to Mike's article.

One of the deciding factors in MY decision to buy one, for sure!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...t=e-flite+p-47

Oh, Bob, my $.02? Don't bother with the Rudder Mod. You can do it, but I think it's more trouble that it's worth. The plane flies super sweet without it. Again, just my opinion.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:51 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

I put the rudder on mine. I like using it but a lot of people didn't add it. For me, I think the back of the horizontal opening was free because I cut the rudder off, so I was able to glue it and then squeeze the vertical onto the horizontal. If you go rudderless, I would get some FOAM SAFE medium on the horizontal, slide it in place and then wipe most of the excess that got squeegy'ed (sp???) off. Then come back and lay a line around the other side. The medium will be drawn into the seam somewhat. Should be enough to lock it in place.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks Bob, I'll see what I can find.

Thanks to you too Andy...I was hoping to be able to angle the plane so the glue would draw down into the seam. Thanks again guys for all your help!!

Mike
Old 06-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I'm debating on what kind of glue/epoxy to use for this build. Any ideas on preferred brands or types? Also, what kind of foam safe CA are you guys using? Thanks.

Mike
Old 06-07-2008, 11:23 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Mike,

I used foam-safe CA for my build. I forget which brand I used, sorry.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I used epoxy for most of mine. I don't even own a bottle of foam safe CA. Make sure you double check the stick mount to see that it's glued in tight. Mine and several other guys have come loose in flight with tthe original glue.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:38 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
I used epoxy for most of mine. I don't even own a bottle of foam safe CA. Make sure you double check the stick mount to see that it's glued in tight. Mine and several other guys have come loose in flight with tthe original glue.
Tom has an outstanding mod using a piece of ply to help support the stick. I held the Jug nose-up and wicked in FS CA where the stick enters the foam body, and it seems tight as could be. If I detect ANY wobble, however, I'll be adding some reinforcement.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Thanks guys, I plan on using some gorilla glue around the entry point of the stick mount just in case. She seems pretty secure as is but I'm not taking any chances. I think I need to get a Dremmel. There doesn't appear to be a way to cut the stick mount to length using my hobby knives. I'm afraid of applying too much pressure while cutting and snap the mount. BTW, what kind of cutting accessories do you guys recommend for using the Dremmel?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:04 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Instead of using the dremel, I'd just get a razor saw attachment for your xacto/hobby knife. They're really handy for small pieces like that. I've used my dremel on wood before cutting out ply plates for stuff, but I used my diamond cutting wheel instead of an actual attachment for cutting wood, and it spun so fast that it actually scorched the wood with the friction. Whoops! There are other bits for cutting wood, of course, but none have a thin enough cut for my tastes. Plus, if you sneeze while you're using the dremel, kiss it good-bye! I only use mine for non-critical stuff that would take too long to do by hand.

I used E-Flite Foam Safe CA to put my P-47 together, but it was the first and last plane I did with all CA. Now I only use CA (usually medium) for hinges, areas where I need to "wick" glue down into a crack or hole, and quick repairs ... epoxy is so much easier to work with (and to wipe off if you accidentally spread on too much).

As for Epoxy, I've been plenty happy with the store brand stuff I bought at HobbyTown USA. It's worked great and is cheaper than the other name brand stuff that was on the shelf. I use 5-minute epoxy for most stuff, and 30 minute epoxy for stuff that needs longer to get situated (5-minute should work fine for everything on the P-47).
Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Thanks guys, I plan on using some gorilla glue around the entry point of the stick mount just in case. She seems pretty secure as is but I'm not taking any chances. I think I need to get a Dremmel. There doesn't appear to be a way to cut the stick mount to length using my hobby knives. I'm afraid of applying too much pressure while cutting and snap the mount. BTW, what kind of cutting accessories do you guys recommend for using the Dremmel?
Mike,

I don't think GG would wick into the joint very well. I used either medium or thick CA (sorry, I don't recall which) and just let it work in overnight. I would imagine GG would just foam up and not penetrate.

As for cutting the stick, I used a mini-hack hacksaw from the hardware store. I found mine at Walmart, I believe. The blade stick out enough from the front I could CAREFULLY cut the extra off. Be careful not to cut thru the foam of the nose. I dinged it a couple times, but that's covered by the cowl.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:08 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
Instead of a dremel, I'd just get a razor saw attachment for your xacto/hobby knife. They're really handy for small pieces like that. I've used my dremel on wood before cutting out ply plates for stuff, but I used my diamond cutting wheel instead of an actual attachment for cutting wood, and it spun so fast that it actually scorched the wood with the friction. Whoops!

I used E-Flite Foam Safe CA to put my P-47 together, but it was the first and last plane I did with all CA. Now I only use CA (usually medium) for hinges, areas where I need to "wick" glue down into a crack or hole, and quick repairs ... epoxy is so much easier to work with (and to wipe off if you accidentally spread on too much).

As for Epoxy, I've been plenty happy with the store brand stuff I bought at HobbyTown USA. It's worked great and is cheaper than the other name brand stuff that was on the shelf. I use 5-minute epoxy for most stuff, and 30 minute epoxy for stuff that needs longer to get situated (5-minute should work fine for everything on the P-47).
For epoxy, I get mine from Walmart as well. It's cheaper than HTU or any of the other hobby shops, and it's the same exact thing.....

Dave,

Did you have any problems getting the razor saw in there and not damage the nose? I kept having problems with the wider blade of the razor saw.....
Old 06-08-2008, 12:20 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

max2112 is gonna let me borrow his Dremel tool with a cutting disc. he said that's what he JUST used for the mount and it worked like a champ. Thanks to all you wonderful wattheads for all your help!! You guys make this hobby just that much more fun!!!

Quick Reply: E-Flite P-47

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10270 seconds with 11 queries