E-Flite P-47 - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

E-Flite P-47

Old 06-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Mike,

The owners manual lists the Park450 as one of the BL outrunners that work well with this plane.

Using the stick mount, you just cut 1" off the stick, and it mounts easy as pie.
Thanks kev!

Mike
Old 06-04-2008, 07:37 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Anytime, pal!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:49 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Just don't do what I did and try to go back to a gearbox setup after you've had an outrunner on the plane. Then you need to ADD that 1" back on there, and you have to get creative and figure out how to splice it back in. Now I'm running a Park 480 and had to cut out the old motor stick and build up a new one. I guess it shows how much I like this plane that I've burned up one Hacker(combination of factors), worn out the stock brushed motor, and now am onto motor #3.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Mike, another brushless motor that fits right in it is the A22-20L. That's what I put in mine after I added retracts and glassed it and it moves along great. It will mount into the E-Flite stick mount that comes with the plane and is cheaper than the Park 450. I also have one in my Hawker Hurricane.

http://64.33.154.92/blackdogrc/brush...es.jsp#A22-20L
Old 06-05-2008, 05:42 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Along the same lines as Tom, I used a TowerPro combo which cost me less than $40 for the motor/ESC. If you want the motor number I can get it for you when I get home.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Well she came yesterday. I was out at the range doing wheeled gunnery since 4:30 yesterday morning, and just got off today at 8:30. It's been a long 28 hours. I just woke up and had to open her!! I've already got a 450 here waiting to put in something. I'll be using the 450, 25A ESc and 3s 2200mah Li-po.

I like the fact that instructions tell you what you need to do for each different motor application. I don't know why they wouldn't have just made her with the brushless setup in the first place. Beautiful bird though!! I'll start on here tomorrow. Thanks for all the help Tom and Kev. You guys are great!

Mike
Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Good luck with it Mike. It'll fly great with your 450 set up. Make sure and keep us posted with your progress.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Good luck with it Mike. It'll fly great with your 450 set up. Make sure and keep us posted with your progress.
Will do Tom!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:00 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I don't know how to send a pic in a PM and I wanted to show Bob watt I picked up for him this evening.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	the Jug (Medium).JPG
Views:	113
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	68267  
Old 06-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Cool James!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 AM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Originally Posted by Angler-Hi View Post
Well she came yesterday. I was out at the range doing wheeled gunnery since 4:30 yesterday morning, and just got off today at 8:30. It's been a long 28 hours. I just woke up and had to open her!! I've already got a 450 here waiting to put in something. I'll be using the 450, 25A ESc and 3s 2200mah Li-po.

I like the fact that instructions tell you what you need to do for each different motor application. I don't know why they wouldn't have just made her with the brushless setup in the first place. Beautiful bird though!! I'll start on here tomorrow. Thanks for all the help Tom and Kev. You guys are great!

Mike
Mike, you're gonna LOVE this plane. I don't fly mine as much as I'd like to right now (going thru my EDF phase) Its also one of the few planes in my hangar that hasn't had an unscheduled landing because I'm extra careful with it.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I don't know how to send a pic in a PM and I wanted to show Bob watt I picked up for him this evening.
I know it sucks, but you can't post pics when you PM. But she sure is PURTY!!
Old 06-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

There is a way to post a pic in a PM. Aviatordave sent me a picture this morning in a PM. I'll find out how.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

James you are one fine human being. Thank you very much.
Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Old 06-07-2008, 12:12 AM
wilmracer

Just got the last one at our LHS for $65. My other one had some minor damage from an incident a few weeks ago and I was going to repair, but now I think I'll transfer over everything to this one and then put the other on the workbench for a complete overhaul
Old 06-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

I was going through looking at the stock motor mount on the brushed gearbox and noticed that I'm gonna need the E-Flite recommended motor mount so I can mount the Park 450:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodId=EFLM1915

I'm pretty much at a stand-still until it comes in. There's no way to mount the 450 to the included motor mount, even if you remove the gear and prop shaft.

BTW, I could have sworn I read somewhere that most people had to add weight to the nose of this bird. If so, how much would you say I would need to add for the correct CG? I would rather try and get the battery as far forward as possible instead of adding dead weight, even if that means modifying it a little bit. Is there a way to get around adding dead weight? Thanks guys.

Mike
Old 06-07-2008, 02:00 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Hey Mike, your 450 should have come with a mount. You'll need the spacers too that come with the mount. A little tedious trying to get them to stay between the motor and mount when you try to put the screws in, but not impossible.

I used about an ounce or so of those 1/4 ounce car tire stick-on lead weights. Some people have been able to hog the battery channel out in an upward direction so as not to disturb the stick. But to be honest, I glassed the heck out of the bottom of mine, and patched a wing after flying it through the forest next to my field, and glassed the heck out of the inside of the cowl, and added a really heavy lamp-cord extension to the battery leads, and added solid balsa ailerons, and it still only weighed 25 ounces AUW. Flew like a champ (still does!). So I wouldn't sweat the nose weight if you were. Floats forever power-off on landing, with plenty of lift to get a second flare if you balloon the first attempt. as a matter of fact, I know a guy that built a 79 ounce one and he says it flys fine ( ...or was it 39 ounces!?)

Incidentally, I have a bunch of new parts still left from the first two planes I built in case anyone bends theirs. I think I have a fuse and a cowl and a tail and most of the stock motors and wing plates and wheels.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:19 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Voyager2lcats View Post
James you are one fine human being. Thank you very much.
No problem man... glad I could help.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:35 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

[QUOTE=alienx;420172] I know a guy that built a 79 ounce one and he says it flys fine ( ...or was it 39 ounces!?)

Did I hear someone call my name? It is 40 ounces and if flys great thank you.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:49 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Hey Andy, it came with an "X" mount, but there's no way to mount it to the stick mount that I can see, without having the recommended mount by E-Flite (one listed above). Also, I have spacers that came with the motor, but they look alot longer than the ones shown in the picture in the manual! I'm thinking about boring the center hole in the recommended mount so it will clear the back end of the motor shaft, so i don't have to use spacers. I need to look for those things by the way....I know I have them somewhere. Thanks for the tip abpout the added weight. Horizon sells those same stick weights. Thanks for all the help friend!

Mike
Old 06-07-2008, 02:50 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

[quote=Grasshopper;420189]
Originally Posted by alienx View Post
I know a guy that built a 79 ounce one and he says it flys fine ( ...or was it 39 ounces!?)

Did I hear someone call my name? It is 40 ounces and if flys great thank you.
haha, didn't want to rat you out after my epoxy incident!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:53 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Hey Andy, it came with an "X" mount, but there's no way to mount it to the stick mount that I can see, without having the recommended mount by E-Flite (one listed above). Also, I have spacers that came with the motor, but they look alot longer than the ones shown in the picture in the manual! I'm thinking about boring the center hole in the recommended mount so it will clear the back end of the motor shaft, so i don't have to use spacers. I need to look for those things by the way....I know I have them somewhere. Thanks for the tip abpout the added weight. Horizon sells those same stick weights. Thanks for all the help friend!

Mike
Mike, I am certain that black stick mount came with the motor. Am I wrong!? I may have one if you need it. The spacers are about a hair longer than an eigth of an inch I think. They are distinctly metal. They just help the back of the motor (shaft or bearing) clear the mount. But they came with the mount, so you might have the mount hidden someplace.

Glad to help a Watthead!! I'm looking forward to your flight report. Let me know if you need the mount. I can two-day it to you tomorrow for free.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:18 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

No you're not wrong...I was just born a friggin RETARD!! I didn't even notice it. You wanna know the sad part, I was looking at that yesterday trying to figure out what the heck it was for, DUH! Thanks for the offer though friend. I swear, if money could buy common sense, I would definitely need to take out loan.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:37 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

I was going through looking at the stock motor mount on the brushed gearbox and noticed that I'm gonna need the E-Flite recommended motor mount so I can mount the Park 450:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodId=EFLM1915

I'm pretty much at a stand-still until it comes in. There's no way to mount the 450 to the included motor mount, even if you remove the gear and prop shaft.

BTW, I could have sworn I read somewhere that most people had to add weight to the nose of this bird. If so, how much would you say I would need to add for the correct CG? I would rather try and get the battery as far forward as possible instead of adding dead weight, even if that means modifying it a little bit. Is there a way to get around adding dead weight? Thanks guys.

Mike
Mike,

I used the entire blob of clay E-Flite supplied, and it balanced perfectly.

No you're not wrong...I was just born a friggin RETARD!! I didn't even notice it. You wanna know the sad part, I was looking at that yesterday trying to figure out what the heck it was for, DUH! Thanks for the offer though friend. I swear, if money could buy common sense, I would definitely need to take out loan.

Common sense, my friend, is not so common as one would think. This I have learned in 20 years in law enforcement.....
Old 06-07-2008, 05:13 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post

Common sense, my friend, is not so common as one would think. This I have learned in 20 years in law enforcement.....
I like that...can't wait to use it at work .

Quick Reply: E-Flite P-47

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16002 seconds with 12 queries