Sweet! New E-Flite Hawker Sea Fury - Retracts Included - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Sweet! New E-Flite Hawker Sea Fury - Retracts Included

Old 09-11-2008, 02:09 AM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

Is that an Ultrafly P-51 next to the Sea Fury in your last set of pics, Matt? Those look really good together (got both sitting in their respective boxes under a table at work, currently). Good motivation to start building, for sure.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

There are some pictures of my Sea Fury mods here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1930
Old 09-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

A couple more pictures from taxi testing in the cul du sac. Gear doors are painted now, and a few other details added. Maiden this evening. I hope.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2056.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	78084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2051.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	78085   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2054.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	78086  
Old 09-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Default Maiden video

Here's some video from my maiden flight yesterday evening. Thanks to SabreHawk for his steady hand on the camcorder.

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1742714[/media]
Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Nice maiden flight, I have yet to build mine.
Looked very stable.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Thanks drew. I actually didn't feel that it was such a good flight. Didn't feel as if I was flying it deliberately enough. Maybe it was the wind combined with maiden flight jitters. Anyway, I've made some programming adjustments, mixing in some elevator to both landing gear and throttle (it was ballooning upward when I retracted the gear, and diving a little too much when I cut throttle). I also was going to lower the gear reduction a little, but ended up blowing up the spur gear as I was bench testing it. Gears stripped. I think I was pushing the little Himax gearbox a little too much, so I ordered a 300 watt gearbox from Hyperion.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Sabrehawk

Thumbs up

Yes great job on that maiden Doug, and heck I was just glad to have been there for it, not to mention the honor of videoing it for ya.
Your camera is quite good at maintaining focus in spite of moving round a lot following a moving object. Yeah it was good to see ya again after such a long while, and to be at our favorite spot again without the interference that run us all out last time there.

I had gotten in my flying that day down at the club, so was just hanging there with Tweed & Eric getting in one flight myself with my 3D CE to end the day, was the last batt. pack I had to fly with too. But that was just before you showed up.

Yeppers, it was a good day.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:02 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Anyway, I've made some programming adjustments, mixing in some elevator to both landing gear and throttle (it was ballooning upward when I retracted the gear, and diving a little too much when I cut throttle).
Sorry Doug, I am farely new to this hobby, and am not sure what is meant by 'ballooning'.

I also was going to lower the gear reduction a little, but ended up blowing up the spur gear as I was bench testing it. Gears stripped. I think I was pushing the little Himax gearbox a little too much, so I ordered a 300 watt gearbox from Hyperion.
I have the recommended motor and setup for mine and did not think it had a gearbox?

Cheers,
Drew
Old 09-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by drewpyfz6 View Post
Sorry Doug, I am farely new to this hobby, and am not sure what is meant by 'ballooning'.

I have the recommended motor and setup for mine and did not think it had a gearbox?

Cheers,
Drew
Ballooning just means the plane rises, like a balloon. If the plane is trimmed for gear-down flight, as soon as you raise the gear the plane will rise unless you program some off-setting elevator deflection to the landing gear switch. Likewise, if it is trimmed for gear-up flight, the plane will pitch down when you drop the gear. It is caused by the changing aerodynamics of raising and lowering the gear.

The recommended motor is indeed an E-Flite Park 450 or 480 outrunner. I chose to install an inrunner and gearbox. Three reasons for my decision: first, inrunners are actually more efficient than outrunners, so I'll get longer run times. Second, by varying the gear ratio, a single motor can turn a wide variety of props, including the power-hungry 5-bladed VarioProp that I have (so much for longer run time ). Third, an inrunner and gearbox sounds great in a warbird! You can really hear it coming

Gearboxes are not all good though, otherwise that would be the recommended setup. They are more prone to mechanical failure (stripped gears, primarily), and they are easier to break in a crash or even a nose-over. Also, some people don't care for the noise. Whatever...

Hope that helps. Good luck with yours!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Many thanks Doug,
You explained that really well.

I have the e-flite 480 outrunner motor as recommended in the specs.

Will have to look in to the trimming for the variations in aerodynamics - had not concidered that. :o
I have a DX7 so should be able to configure some changes.
(if I knew what to set) - need to do some reading and reserch.

Cheers,
Drew
Old 09-17-2008, 08:31 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Many thanks Doug,
You explained that really well.

I have the e-flite 480 outrunner motor as recommended in the specs.

Will have to look in to the trimming for the variations in aerodynamics - had not concidered that. :o
I have a DX7 so should be able to configure some changes.
(if I knew what to set) - need to do some reading and reserch.

Cheers,
Drew
Getting the right mix rates is really a matter of trial and error. Just remember that a little elevator deflection can go a long way, so better to start with too little than too much. I use a JR 7202, which is basically the 72mhz equivalent to the DX7. I'll let you know how it worked out for me after this weekend and give you the mix rates that I used.

BTW, I flew with the suggested low rates for the elevator and high rates for the ailerons. That gave me plenty of authority for manuevering and basic aerobatics. High rates on the elevator might be a little much and could cause some over-control issues on landing if you're not careful. I just don't think this plane needs to have extreme elevator response to fly well. Scale manuevering is better anyway.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:38 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Getting the right mix rates is really a matter of trial and error. Just remember that a little elevator deflection can go a long way, so better to start with too little than too much. I use a JR 7202, which is basically the 72mhz equivalent to the DX7. I'll let you know how it worked out for me after this weekend and give you the mix rates that I used.

BTW, I flew with the suggested low rates for the elevator and high rates for the ailerons. That gave me plenty of authority for manuevering and basic aerobatics. High rates on the elevator might be a little much and could cause some over-control issues on landing if you're not careful. I just don't think this plane needs to have extreme elevator response to fly well. Scale manuevering is better anyway.
Thanks again Doug,
Look forward to reading your report.

Cheers,
Drew
Old 09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Installed my new Hyperion gearbox last night. Was able to reduce the gear reduction from 7.3 to 6.8 so the prop should spin a little faster now. Surprisingly, even though RPM's have theoretically gone up (I don't have a tach to confirm), my amp draw is down a little. The gearbox is well made, so it must be due to increased efficiency. With the savings in power, I was able to increase the prop pitch from 5" to 6". So now I have more RPM's and more pitch for a net increase of about 1 amp in power draw. And the motor should be running in the sweet spot for efficiency (15-20 amps) when the prop unloads.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:57 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Three reasons for my decision: first, inrunners are actually more efficient than outrunners, so I'll get longer run times. Second, by varying the gear ratio, a single motor can turn a wide variety of props, including the power-hungry 5-bladed VarioProp that I have (so much for longer run time ). Third, an inrunner and gearbox sounds great in a warbird! You can really hear it coming

Gearboxes are not all good though, otherwise that would be the recommended setup. They are more prone to mechanical failure (stripped gears, primarily), and they are easier to break in a crash or even a nose-over. Also, some people don't care for the noise. Whatever...

Hope that helps. Good luck with yours!
Yes it does. I used an Eflite 4900kv inrunner I've had laying around in a GWS "C" gearbox, which sounds quite nice in there. I think the large cowl helps resonate the sound even more.

Got that right. Had a streak of those lately. Had a prop literally explode the other day in flight. What we think happened is that the gear locked up and the blades just flew off, as their is now a chewed up area on the main gear.

Well my reason for using a geared setup is due to the outrunner I had planned to use not being an easy installation.
I've really been sold on the geared inrunners lately, when I started using long can 370 motors in these warbirds. I can outright say that they kick the pants off of outrunners of similar weights.

This is my 3rd ARF after 30+ kit and scratch builds and have been a built burnt out lately, so I got it as a treat. Still have my Alfa 190, and should have kept their LA7 too, which I sold.

My overall opinion so far is that I'd just as soon build it as a GWS style kit. I got this kit since GWS doesn't have it. The plane requires enough "going over" that I'd feel more comfortable assembling it entirely. I epoxied over the fuse seams from the inside of the fuse. I'm convinced that I could have easily just pulled the fuse halves apart, as they come glued from the factory.

All-in-all, still a nice looking ARF. As long as it flys well as I believe it will, I'll be happy.

Last edited by Bill G; 09-23-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Well I can now say that this plane handlaunches very easily for a heavy foamy, with seemingly no torque effects.
Flight went well until the overworked/overpropped Hacker Eseries inrunner (nice, but lower power 370 class) burnt out. Landed fine at a very good distance away. Had to use instinct on final touchdown. I didn't want to risk turning a new plane at low height in a glide, not knowing it well, although its slow speed flight ability probably would have done fine.

Eflite adjustable timing 30A Pro ESC:
I had a 4600 kv GWS long can 370 inrunner which I had planned to run in the plane. This motor has proven very strong in other warbirds and EDF64 jets. When connected to the Eflite ESC, it would rev a small amount and then the motor would "plug" VERY hard. Basically the same thing as a brake, but much more abrupt. It was so hard that the prop nuts/prop/spinner and all would shoot across the room. Had to hunt them down twice.

The default timing adjustment needed to be changed from 15 deg to 5 deg, which now runs the GWS inrunner without spontaneous braking. I should have done the change initially and just used this motor, versus burning out a nice little Hacker Eseries motor.

Minor reinforcements:

Pic1: The weak point of these foam fuses is obviously the hatch area. I line the fuse with CF spars, ran roughly 2 inches past the opening on both ends of the hatch.

Pic2: Since the elevator is already painted, the hingeline is the only hidden area to add a spar. Used 40 thou CF rod epoxied in a small recess cut into the hinge line.

Pic3: Used alum tube glued into the elevator joiner rod holes for reinforcement. I'm not a fan of the stock wire-in-foam hole method.
This is also done where the tailwheel steering arm inserts in the rudder.

Name:	SeaFury_Eflite_1.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	79337   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaFury_Eflite_2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	79338   Click image for larger version

Name:	SeaFury_Eflite_3.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	79339  
Old 09-28-2008, 03:33 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Eflite 30A switching BEC should be higher rated
As for Eflite ESCs, I should have looked closer when I bought the 30A Pro, which has a switching BEC, but not strong enough to be safe with the 6 servos the plane requires. They really should have made the 700mah BEC good for at least an amp, which would actually make it useful as a good switching BEC. Since I've already learned about what happens with 2.4G receivers when the BEC is overloaded, I ended up installing a 1.25A Park BEC last night, in order to fly with the retracts.

Well this plane does fly beautifully. Flew again today, this time ROG with the retracts plugged in. Gets off pretty quickly, which is a good thing, as I was veering off the road and decided to try lifting off, rather than nosing over off the road. Just off in time. Really like this plane so far.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Did what I should have done in the first place: Run a few thin layers of epoxy over the wing LE. After spraying over with Model Masters Clear Flat, you barely see it. If I had done it originally, then I would not have needed to repair/paint gouges in the LE. It would look even better then, as I would not have had to paint the repair areas.

The bummer is that they use such cheap foam on these planes. The standard (not EPO) GWS foam is better than this stuff by a good margin. Would be nice if they would just use slightly better foam, while not going to horrible looking basketball size bead EPP either, like PKZ does on some planes.

Still like the plane though, as it had another excellent flight today. I think the aggressive stock prop really adds to the sound, along with a gearbox. In diving turns it sounds almost real.

Name:	SeaFury_Eflite_4.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	79633  
Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 AM
SCC

On board vid from the SF and catching a few glimpses of a Spitfire
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1882435[/media]
Short clip from the ground.
[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1888154[/media]
Old 10-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Hey Drew, have you flown your Sea Fury yet?

I had mine out this morning. I actually haven't flown it much since it needs pavement, and my normal flying field is all grass. Anyway, I used a new Mystery 2200mAh 25c battery in it, and WOW what a difference! With a 15c battery, the Himax inrunner doesn't produce quite enough power for the big VarioProp 5-blader. The new 25c battery really puts out, and though it still wasn't as strong as some of my other warbirds, performance was really good.

I ended up breaking a prop blade on about my 4th landing so didn't get to fly it as much as I would have liked. With the 5-bladed prop you really need to fly it onto the ground. Cutting throttle is kind of like dropping anchor. The broken prop blade came from trying to dead stick BTW, I am very impressed with the landing gear. Very sturdy!

Drew: you were asking about elevator/gear mixing. It doesn't take much. I found that 10% is about right. That's 10% up elevator when the gear comes down.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:59 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Originally Posted by fly time
Hey Drew, have you flown your Sea Fury yet?
Hi Doug,
Not even started to build it yet...

I keep looking at the box and want to get started, just not had the time.
The weather has not been fly friendly - have we had a summer?

Spent more time on Phoenix simulator lately.

I had mine out this morning. I actually haven't flown it much since it needs pavement, and my normal flying field is all grass. Anyway, I used a new Mystery 2200mAh 25c battery in it, and WOW what a difference! With a 15c battery, the Himax inrunner doesn't produce quite enough power for the big VarioProp 5-blader. The new 25c battery really puts out, and though it still wasn't as strong as some of my other warbirds, performance was really good.
Sounds like you have yours set up sweet. And the bigger battery sounds good.

Drew: you were asking about elevator/gear mixing. It doesn't take much. I found that 10% is about right. That's 10% up elevator when the gear comes down.
To be honest, I am not familiar with mixing.
I have set up some helicopters, but those were just the usual settings.
Your help and advice is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Drew
Old 10-20-2008, 08:45 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Hi Doug,
Not even started to build it yet...

I keep looking at the box and want to get started, just not had the time.
The weather has not been fly friendly - have we had a summer?
Oh man you gotta get on that, Drew. I've drooled over that bird for months now and I need your opinion before I splurge lol

Seriously! That plane is on my list after building my Gee Bee and my Formosa II and finishing my Chuck MkIII!

GRU
Old 10-20-2008, 09:29 AM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Hi Gru,
I will get on it soon. Have all parts ready, just need a few spare hours to get started.
The weather has stopped any chance of flying, its either raining, too windy or both...

Been following your 'chuck' threads...

Will get on it soon.
Drew
Old 10-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Hi Gru,
I will get on it soon. Have all parts ready, just need a few spare hours to get started.
The weather has stopped any chance of flying, its either raining, too windy or both...
Hey Drew, that is the perfect time to build! I don't build as much during the summer because I would rather go fly. Even an ARF takes time to build right, especially if you want to add your own personal touches, so put in an hour or two every few days and eventually it gets built.

I will take some pictures of the Tx setup screen for mixing elevator and gear. It's easy.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:54 PM
drewpyfz6
Trainee Ground Teaser

Hey Drew, that is the perfect time to build! I don't build as much during the summer because I would rather go fly. Even an ARF takes time to build right, especially if you want to add your own personal touches, so put in an hour or two every few days and eventually it gets built.

I will take some pictures of the Tx setup screen for mixing elevator and gear. It's easy.
Hi Doug,
That would be very much appreciated... Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Hi Doug,
That would be very much appreciated... Thanks
LOL! no pressure man, no pressure.... hahah

Quick Reply: Sweet! New E-Flite Hawker Sea Fury - Retracts Included

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.17226 seconds with 18 queries