Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Sweet! New E-Flite Hawker Sea Fury - Retracts Included

Old 06-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Forge

Originally Posted by Matt Halton View Post
I'm hoping to pick up one of these beauties on Saturday

Incidentally, my P-51D flies better (faster) on 4 blades than 2

Go go go Doug!!!
Hey Matt,

That P-51 looks beautiful...flaps too! How does it fly? Can I ask you who makes the plane, I'm very interested?

Thanks for the info.

Forge
Old 06-27-2008, 05:33 AM
SCC

Originally Posted by Forge View Post
Hey Matt,

That P-51 looks beautiful...flaps too! How does it fly? Can I ask you who makes the plane, I'm very interested?

Thanks for the info.

Forge
I have just watched vid of the P51, she is a beauty.
http://www.dailymotion.com/featured:...lor-flyi_sport
Old 06-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Forge

Default Anybody fly their Hawker yet?

Guys,

Anybody build and fly their Sea Fury yet? My LHS just called me to tell me he has one, and I was looking forward to a flight report before I plunk down my money.

Please help, I am itching

Thanks!

Forge
Old 06-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Guys,

Anybody build and fly their Sea Fury yet? My LHS just called me to tell me he has one, and I was looking forward to a flight report before I plunk down my money.

Please help, I am itching

Thanks!

Forge
Mine is going onto the workbench this weekend. There are several guys who have reported on their maiden flights on RCG, and all have been very impressed with flight handling. By all accounts it sounds like a winner!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Matt Halton
E-Flite Sea Fury pilot.

Forge,thanks, she's an Ultrafly P-51.

I just bought my Sea Fury today,thisis gonna be pure fun, the thing is gorgous,much better manufacture/finishing than previous EF offerings, yes, I'm a kid with a new toy..

Whilst there, I got lucky with a good looking spinner too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	spin3.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	70893  
Old 07-03-2008, 12:27 PM
Forge

Matt,

Thanks for the heads up on the UltraFly.

I also broke down and bought myself a Sea Fury. I am just waiting on delivery of some components to start my construction. I going full-blown on everything, retracts, upgraded motor, rudder, etc.

Still no flight reports? I was hoping to hear about someone's maiden Fury flight. For anyone who's put theirs together, any special problems or notes to take into consideration?

Finally, I wish you all a great 4th of July Holiday. Have an awesome weekend!

Forge
Old 07-03-2008, 12:46 PM
wilmracer

Added to youtube yesterday... not mine but loks good

looks like there is an onboard clip too...

Old 07-04-2008, 10:47 PM
SCC

For anyone who's put theirs together, any special problems or notes to take into consideration?

Forge
Straight forward build and no problems. This is my first plane with retracts and they work great . Cannot wait to maiden this fine looking plane.

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1276728[/media]
Old 07-05-2008, 12:37 PM
SCC

Some pics of this Beautiful plane.
The spinner is not stock. Not sure if it's scale looking but i like it. i think i will give it a coat of paint.Will make some leg covers (forgot the name of those things)

Not flown yet. Waiting for the weather to co operate.

Name:	Sea fury 001.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	71604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea fury 002.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	71605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea fury 003.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	71606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea fury 004.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	71607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea fury 005.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	71608  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea fury 006.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	71609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea fury 007.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	71610  
Old 07-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

SCC:forgot the name of those things)Wheel plants,, HaHaa!Look'in good ,,, Bub steve
Old 07-06-2008, 06:55 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
SCC:forgot the name of those things)Wheel plants,, HaHaa!Look'in good ,,, Bub steve
Actually, that would be gear doors. Wheel pants are for fixed gear birds. Not sure what wheel PLANTS are. Sounds like a gardening term
Old 07-06-2008, 11:55 AM
SCC

Originally Posted by Fly Time View Post
Actually, that would be gear doors. Not sure what wheel PLANTS are. Sounds like a gardening term
Yes. Gear doors is what i'm going to make.

Steve. What do you think of my wheel plants.

Name:	Wheel plant 001.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	71689  
Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

that is obviously the source of where the wheels come from.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:22 AM
NUMB-LOCK

Question Problem with Wing Cover adhesion

Hi All,

Anyone else having trouble with the wing cover sticking to the underside of the wing (piece of plastic which covers servos and wires)? Mine stopped sticking after a short time frame...and now all sides have come up from the wing. If you look at the manual, you can see on pages 15 and 35 the wing cover coming up off the corner...however, in my case, it is all sides

Can anyone recommend better double stick tape or another alternative to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

Bob I.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 AM
keithmartin
Have crashed them all.

Default A couple of issues, beware.

I just pick one of these up at my local hobby store. What a nice looking plane. But I found a couple of issues with my kit.

1. When they put the tape on for the cowling, they put it too far back and when I took it off the paint came off, now there are two spots of missing paint.
2. The velcrow tape on the wing pan did not stick to the wing, keep pulling off. So I just took it off and left it off.
3. When the wing pan was put on I noticed that it did not fit flush with the wing. The cause was that the retracts mounting was too high pushing the retract above the level that the wing pan should have been. I had already pulled to tape backing off so there was nothing else to do than cutout arround the retract. It does not look a nice as it should now.
4. There were several dents in one wing tip, from stuff that was loose in the box.

All in all, I like the look of the plane. Just make sure that the wing pan will fit properly with the retracts installed.

Name:	P7075641.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	71934   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7075634.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	71935   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7075632.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	71936  
Old 07-08-2008, 10:49 AM
SCC

Originally Posted by NUMB-LOCK View Post
Hi All,

Anyone else having trouble with the wing cover sticking to the underside of the wing (piece of plastic which covers servos and wires)? Mine stopped sticking after a short time frame...and now all sides have come up from the wing. If you look at the manual, you can see on pages 15 and 35 the wing cover coming up off the corner...however, in my case, it is all sides

Can anyone recommend better double stick tape or another alternative to prevent this from happening?

Thanks,

Bob I.
Hi Bob.
I used Uhu por contact adhesive. Just around the edge of the wing cover and where it sits on the wing. If i need to get to the servo's in the future i will either run a knife around the glued area or cut out the wing cover around the servo.
I had my maiden today and had to hand launch and belly land as the grass was too long for ROG. The wing cover is still stuck fast.

@ Keith.
It looks like the housing the retract screws into is not pushed down into the wing enough. My retracts sat fairly flush with the wing.
The velcro for the cowling is the same as mine. My cowling slides over those marks

Name:	wing 002.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	71949  

Last edited by SCC; 07-08-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:56 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Default velcro fasteners

Yep, the velcro fasteners on the wing panel are awful! Whatever glue they used doesn't have near the holding power of the velcro itself, so they are virtually useless. What I found is that you can easily peel off the adhesive on the velcro patches using forceps or needle nose pliers, which exposes the weave of the fabric. If the adhesive is stuck to the foam or plastic cover, peel it off of that too. Use hot glue as it seeps into the fabric and holds the velcro tight to both the foam wing and the plastic cover.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:20 PM
redgiki

This looks an awful lot like the E-Flite P-47D as far as it comes to quality. It was a great-flying bird, but maintenance was a real chore due to wing panels that came off easily, landing gear that were not glued in well, crumbly foam, and other issues. Then again, I got over 200 flights on mine before I retired it, so perhaps those who fly less-frequently wouldn't encounter these issues.

Anybody on the thread have both the P-47D and the new Sea Fury that could comment on differences between the kits? The steerable tail wheel and retracts stand out immediately as nice improvements.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by redgiki View Post
This looks an awful lot like the E-Flite P-47D as far as it comes to quality. It was a great-flying bird, but maintenance was a real chore due to wing panels that came off easily, landing gear that were not glued in well, crumbly foam, and other issues. Then again, I got over 200 flights on mine before I retired it, so perhaps those who fly less-frequently wouldn't encounter these issues.

Anybody on the thread have both the P-47D and the new Sea Fury that could comment on differences between the kits? The steerable tail wheel and retracts stand out immediately as nice improvements.
I have both. I've heard a lot of people complain about the quality of the foam on the P-47, but mine must have come from a different production run because I don't have any complaints. Visually, I think the Sea Fury has very similar foam, though it might be a little denser. I have not had any dings or dents from the building process, but I don't think I could have said the same for the P-47.

The wing panel could be a problem, but it is made of softer plastic than the P-47's, and I think it would only be problematic if you had to remove it frequently. The velcro attachments will have to be re-done, because they are completely useless as they come out of the box. Easy fix though.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
SCC

Originally Posted by redgiki View Post
With the Sea Fury they added some ply in certain places which is a nice upgrade.
With my wing covers on both models i used UHU Por contact cement. This solved the problem of those silly bits of velcro.

Name:	retracts 001.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	72164   Click image for larger version

Name:	retracts 003.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	72165   Click image for larger version

Name:	retracts 004.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	72166   Click image for larger version

Name:	retracts 005.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	72167   Click image for larger version

Name:	retracts 006.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	72168  

Click image for larger version

Name:	retracts 007.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	72169  
Old 07-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Futura57

Got mine today. It's my first foamy electric and I'm not entirely sure it's for me. I am not used to handling such a delicate baby. Had a quick look over it and also figured the velco wing fixings are naff.

I am using Loong Max 2250 3S LiPos which have air spacing between the cells and are therefore a bit fatter than eflite and other packs. Some successful internal knife surgery was undetaken to free up a little more space. Now the battery fits perfectly.

I have lots of 6g and 9g servos, but not any 7.5g as recommended. I figure the 6g servos will do fine. I plan to go for retracts and rudder plus a few rockets
Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
NCC1700

Default What CG do you like?

I flew my SF yesterday and I need to fly it a couple of more times before I make a final opinion.

I found the stock Center of Gravity to be too far back for my taste and I moved it up about a quarter inch with some weight in the nose. They included some clay in the kit so it was probably a concern with the designers as well.

At any rate I thought it flew very similar to the Parkzone P-51. I have a E-Flite 480 on it and basic flight is 1/3 throttle and 1/2 is very fast. I was afraid I would rip the wings at full so I didn't try it in level flight.

The model had a tendency to porpoise up and down when I applied power so I basically trimmed it for slow flight and played around.

I never felt like I had a decent glide the whole time, felt like the propeller was running the show.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 AM
NUMB-LOCK

Default My LHS recommended an ACP Prop

I honestly forgot the reason but maybe it has something to do with the stock prop being so thin? However, the tendency to porpoise up and down sounds more like a CG issue.

Last edited by NUMB-LOCK; 07-17-2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:20 AM
NUMB-LOCK

Thumbs up UHU Creativ worked like a Charm for the wing cover

Found UHU Creativ at Michael's Arts and Crafts. It is the light blue and yellow tube which is styrofoam safe. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob I.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:27 AM
NCC1700

I flew it again today after adding some more weight to the nose.

Flew like a champ but one of the retract servos locked up and melted.

Good for me the wheels were up at the time. Did a belly landing in the grass and all was fine but man four flights on a band new servo does not seem right in my book.

I think the retracts, which are the only cool thing about this plane, should have been given more thought by the product designers.

Anyone know how to program the retracts to work on a switch on a Futaba 7C?

I have mine on the flap knob now and it is a bit tricky to turn that bugger to raise and lower the gear.

Quick Reply: Sweet! New E-Flite Hawker Sea Fury - Retracts Included

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11309 seconds with 30 queries