Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:47 AM
mustangpilot

I'll say ditto to that, I would think that with a 7X5, you would have a higher amp draw and lower flight times? Just my two cents worth. Jim
Old 03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by mustangpilot View Post
I'll say ditto to that, I would think that with a 7X5, you would have a higher amp draw and lower flight times? Just my two cents worth. Jim
I have an Eflite Jenny which I beleive is amost the same as the SE5a. I had an AX-1806N 2100kv brushless motor in it. With 7x6 prop it pulled 7 amps. Would do what looked to about a 6 foot loop from level flight on 2C lipo. I changed to an AX-2306N 1300kv brushless motor with a 7x6 prop. Now pulls 4 amps and will still loop from lever flight. It will fly in light wind without problems. The cost of the AX-1806 was less than $9 plus shipping. I bought 2 of the AX-2306Ns for $16.99 including shipping.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:26 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

can you link that motor here for the shy people?

that is an outstanding deal considering eflite wants you to use their 50 dollar motor.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
can you link that motor here for the shy people?

that is an outstanding deal considering eflite wants you to use their 50 dollar motor.
Here is the link. The picture shows a stick mount but mine came with firewall mount. I removed all the extra wood back to the first firewall and mounted my motor on it. I always make sure what I order is in stock. I placed one order and one item was not in stock. I finally cancled that item then they shipped me the rest of the order. I have had good luck with everything I have got from them. Shipping has always been less than 2 weeks.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5427

I have found other places that I order from, one has lipo for less than $8 and a blanced charger for less than $9 with free shipping. I have ordered from them. Another place has micro servos for $3 and receiver for $4.50, they charge extra for shipping. I have not ordered from this place yet but plan on getting some servos and maybe a receiver. If anyone wants the URLs I will post them too.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:52 PM
JohnBlankenship

Default Recommended Motor Tube Mount

I mounted the Park 250 Outrunner motor to the carbon tube as recommended. I used Permatex Clear RTV Adhesive Sealant. The first time I ran the motor it came loose from the carbon tube. I used adhesive sparingly to avoid pushing excess into the motor bearing. This is not a good way to mount the motor, in my opinion.

I will remount the motor using a spacer and the alternate radial mount.

John
Old 03-16-2008, 04:54 PM
mustangpilot

Thanks Degreen, Ya go ahead and post your findings for us please. I'm going to try one of those motors next time! what a huge cost savings. I like the sound of eight dollar li-polys I would think everyone would ? Jim
Old 03-16-2008, 06:05 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Thanks Degreen, Ya go ahead and post your findings for us please. I'm going to try one of those motors next time! what a huge cost savings. I like the sound of eight dollar li-polys I would think everyone would ? Jim
Here are some URLs to try. Only thing I have ordered is the Lipo charger and it works great.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7621
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8798
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10783

This one I plan on ordering a receiver, some servos, and props.

http://www.bidproduct.com/part/Produ...CRYSTAL_2.html

If you use one of these let me know how you like them. If you have trouble I will take them off my list.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Castle Creations RXs

Gang, I have been using Castle Creations BERG RXs with great success. These RXs lock onto the signature your Tx sends out and ignores all others. I have found these to be rock solid and have not had any hits to date. As a matter of fact, I have flown these RXs indoors with no problems. They can be purchased for as little as $24.00 on e-bay. You will need the proper crystal for your channel. I won't even bother to buy an "off brand" RX. Seems they have too many problems (especially the single conversion Rxs cheapies). The price difference is small for the quality you receive. BTW, they are very small and light. I'm sticking with them from here on out. Any of you Guys use them? martin
Old 03-17-2008, 04:06 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Wattage Camel

Hey degreen did you modify or change the landing gear on your Camel? the one that comes with it is junk. Before I fly mine for the season, I'm going to replace it. Your thoughts please. Martin
Old 03-19-2008, 01:59 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

SE5a crash report

Has anyone else been doing loops with no problems?

I have yet to be able to fly outside.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:50 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Folding wings

Looks like I'm gonna reinforce the wing with some packing tape skunkworks! What a bummer! Seems like a little goodwill from the e-flite/Horizon people is in order here. Especially since you reported it. They probably have a design fault here. The least they could do is send you some new wings. Maybe we should collectively "talk" to them about this product. Nobody likes negative press. I wonder if they read this thread? Anybody have their contact info? I have no problems calling them. Anyone else game? martin
Old 03-19-2008, 03:12 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by scalercflyer View Post
Hey degreen did you modify or change the landing gear on your Camel? the one that comes with it is junk. Before I fly mine for the season, I'm going to replace it. Your thoughts please. Martin
I did not even install that thing that wattage called a landing gear. I read on the post that it will come off on about evey landing. I build a plywood base that holds the wing on and have bamboo skewers attach for the landing gear. If you want I will post pictures or pm me with your email address and instead of posting I will email them to you.

Last edited by degreen60; 03-19-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:20 AM
mustangpilot

I have flown mine outside about three or four times now, I have done loops with no such trouble. But... I didn't use the string that came with my plane. I always use spider wire fishing line. No stretch at all, plus I added a drop of C/A at every hole that the line would pass threw. my wing will flex yes but a very very small amount. this may or may not be the problem, I cant say with out being there, but if I had to guess??? it would be that the string used may have gave just enough to cause it?? But I'm sorry to see you loose your plane what ever may have caused it. Jim
Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

SE5a crash report

I have the eflite Jenny which I believe is about the same as the SE5a. I have an AX-2306N 1300kv installed with 2C lipo. I only fly outdoors. I was supprised how well it flys in the wind. I can do about a 6 foot loop from level flight. I found out it is easy to fly upside down. This is the first plane I have ever flown upside down. I am still learning, only been flying 1 1/2 years, but I can kind of keep it going upside now for a while. When I get too low I don't have to worry about crashing cause it always snaps right over in a loop. My next thing to learn is how to roll with rudder elevators only.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:17 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Horizon

Well Boys, I called Horizon today about skunks' wing collapse. I got the same answer as he did. When I spoke to Chris in product support, he said " we have thousands of these kits out there. I have only received 1 call about a wing failure (I think It was skunkworks call). We have not had any other failures to date". He did say they requested the plane to be sent in. I told him about our thread and he said he was not familiar with it! Imagine, he was not aware of either WATTFLYER or EZone! I thought these people must have their head in the sand! He also claimed that using packing tape will "not be helpful or do anything other than add weight". He did say the flying wires were critical. He also stated that he thinks the plane had too much speed coming out of the loop and that the elevator was yanked too hard. I left the call with a feeling of disappointment and no real straight talk or answers. The least they should have done was send skunks another kit. I would have if I were in the position they are. It would be cheap customer satisfaction/goodwill to do so. Makes you think that maybe they only care about making money. Comments everyone. martin
Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

In their defense, I imagine they get lots of calls from people who don't know how to fly, and try to blame it on the plane when it crashes.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:44 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
In their defense, I imagine they get lots of calls from people who don't know how to fly, and try to blame it on the plane when it crashes.
Speaking from experience Wilbur?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:16 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

yes, but from the retailer's side.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 AM
jecchile

Originally Posted by scalercflyer View Post
What a bummer! Seems like a little goodwill from the e-flite/Horizon people is in order here.
Sorry about your SE5a...

I have looped mine but only indoors and the wing flex, even with the rigging installed, is scary... I don't do loops anymore because the plane is too nice and flies too good to tear it apart doing stunts... in the gym we do not have the space required to do a nice, wide and easy loop... they have to be tight and fast and that is asking for trouble with this airplane.

Actually, Horizon has a pretty decent "Customer Support". I have read various instances where they went out of their way to help when it was a "Factory Defect" or product failure...

My personal experience - I purchased a T-28 that came with 3 servos that didn't operate - I had 3 replacement servos in the mail in about a week after I called them to let them know about it. I didn't even had to send the bad ones to them.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:54 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Ouch!

Somebody just got smacked!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:57 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Tape

I'm still gonna tape my wings and add fishing line (not the string they give you in the kit). Martin
Old 03-20-2008, 04:07 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I would run one of the thin flat strips of CF across the "spar" of the wings
Old 03-20-2008, 12:58 PM
mustangpilot

Yep, that would work also. I do not have CF on mine but I have used it on others. I'm not so sure that a strip or two of packing tape "the one with fiberglass" wouldn't do the trick if you do not have any carbon. I have also had pretty decent results with Horizons customer service, but I'm in a town next to them. I just walk in and ask for a tech. Sorry. Jim
Old 03-20-2008, 03:58 PM
jimh

SE5a crash report

Dave, if you had made it to the unidome in feb. you could have seen my se5 fold it's wings coming out of a loop. Pretty much destroyed the plane.
Next one I build will have carbon fiber on the lower wing.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:26 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Yep, that would work also. I do not have CF on mine but I have used it on others. I'm not so sure that a strip or two of packing tape "the one with fiberglass" wouldn't do the trick if you do not have any carbon. I have also had pretty decent results with Horizons customer service, but I'm in a town next to them. I just walk in and ask for a tech. Sorry. Jim
Now I know who to contact when I need someone to walk over to Horizon for me.

Thanks, Jim!

Quick Reply: Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15586 seconds with 11 queries