Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread - Page 7 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:44 AM
jecchile

Originally Posted by larry63 View Post

Anyway, get the Hobby City motor for $11 and you don't have to worry with the glue problem. It comes with a very nice motor mount and I bought a separate prop saver that is easy to work with for a few dollars more
Well, I already got the E-Flite 250 so I will use it since it cost $45... it does come with a motor mount but I don't know yet if it would allow me to get the spacing I would need... I live in a town home and my space is limited so I can't have a workshop with all the tools I'd need to make something out of wood... sure do miss my house now that I started back into this hobby.

I think I am going to go with the SUMO glue like "Aviatordave" did - he seems to have been successful with it... actually, the fact that it expands a bit may be good since the tube fits on the motor a bit lose... I plant to put a piece of plastic or wax paper between the motor and the tube to block anything from entering the motor coils.

How long does it take to get things from Hobby City?... how are the shipping charges from Hong Kong?... I had thought about ordering some stuff from them but changed my mind...

Thanks for the help, I sure need it since I am just getting back into the hobby and it sure has changed from years past... I never built a "foam" airplane before.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:47 AM
jecchile

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
I like the SE5a more. It is easier to turn and yanks and banks with authority. The Jenny kind of mushes into turns.
Thanks... Good to know since my "thumbs" are a bit rusty from being away from flying for some years... I have been practicing some with my Cessna 210 which is fun but a bit small...

Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:03 PM
larry63

I like the SE5a more. It is easier to turn and yanks and banks with authority. The Jenny kind of mushes into turns.
I find that true also.

One thing that gave me trouble with the SE-5a was the center cabane struts through the wing incidence way off and I didn't notice that until after my first flight. After working thru that problem, adjusting the struts length to get the incidence right, she now flys great. One thing I am not thrilled with is the lack of a hinge point at the lowest point on the rudder at the control horn. That causes a lot of distorted movement of the rudder. An easy fix is a hinge at that point but I haven't taken the time to do that yet.
Keep them flying guys,
Old 02-23-2008, 03:56 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by jecchile View Post

How long does it take to get things from Hobby City?... how are the shipping charges from Hong Kong?... I had thought about ordering some stuff from them but changed my mind...

Thanks for the help, I sure need it since I am just getting back into the hobby and it sure has changed from years past... I never built a "foam" airplane before.
I have no trouble ordering from Hobby City. Just make sure what you order is in stock. Back orders can take months to receive and I mean months. I made the mistake of ordering something that wasn't in stock last Aug. It is still on back order. I am just glad I was not in a hurry for that order. I ordered thier AX-1806N for $8.25 and installed in my Jenny but have not flew it yet. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5431. I think next time I would try this AX-2306N. It cost less, has lower KV, longer threaded shaft. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5427
Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

I just flew the Jenny with the AX-1806N brushless motor with 7X6 prop. I hand launched and it climbed like a homesick angel. Flys nice on half throtle. I think the AX2306N would probably work too. This setup should be good in the SE5a too. Wind came up a little but I had no trouble flying in it. Temp about 27f everything covered with ice.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:06 AM
jecchile

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
Back orders can take months to receive and I mean months. I made the mistake of ordering something that wasn't in stock last Aug. It is still on back order.
Won't they let you cancel the order in case of a "Back Order" that takes too long?...
When do they charge your credit card, at time of shipment or when they receive the order?... if they do it when you order, I guess you are screwed if they back order an item...

They sure do have great prices though... BUT, sometimes you get what you pay for, if you know what I mean.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:07 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Won't they let you cancel the order in case of a "Back Order" that takes too long?...
When do they charge your credit card, at time of shipment or when they receive the order?... if they do it when you order, I guess you are screwed if they back order an item...

They sure do have great prices though... BUT, sometimes you get what you pay for, if you know what I mean.
I have had no problems with what I have bought from them. I paid with paypal so I could probably get my money back at anytime. UH has all my order together except for a $2 item. I am in no hurry so I will wait. They do have an adj line on the order but I never tried it. I now just make sure the item is in stock before I order it.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:19 AM
jecchile

I have had no problems with what I have bought from them.
That is good to know... I may have to order some stuff from them. They do have "Combo" sets which come with the BESC , the motor and even the prop. This is perfect for "dummies" like me who are just starting with electrics and don't know exactly what to order.

I tested my E-Flite motor and ESC tonight and after reprogramming it, it did just fine... I was kind of concerned since the motor would start and quit almost immediately until I found that it came programmed for 3S LiPo and I was using a 2S LiPo so I guess it thought that the voltage was too low... anyway, it works now so I can start building my S.E.5a... I just need to figure a better way to mount the motor and at the same time keep it light. I may end up just gluing it to the carbon tube but then, if I ever want to use that motor for something else it would be a mess.
Happy Flying...
Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

nah. Nothing is permanent. If you need glue off of hard surfaces an exacto knife does wonders.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:52 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

My landings are proof that glue is not permanent.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:32 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

My landings are proof that glue is not permanent.
LOL....I can relate to that statement!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:56 PM
jecchile

Default Done...

Well, today it was raining here so I used the day to build my S.E.5a... it looks good but I am not very happy with my work... somehow, even though I carved the slot where the stab goes in the fuselage, to correct a slight misalignment, when I glued it together it came out a bit crooked anyway... the stab is paralled to the wings but the fin is a bit off to the left... Oh well, I guess I will have to correct with the rudder... then again, it may fly like a dream - who knows.

I did build it with a special motor mount that I made instead of gluing the tube to the motor... now, if I want, I can take the motor out to use in another airplane... the tube is still there but there is a piece of ply glued to it and then the mount onto this ply... perhaps it will add a bit of weight but I don't think it will affect it much - we'll see...

Here she is:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	se5a01.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	57577   Click image for larger version

Name:	se5a08.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	57578  

Last edited by jecchile; 02-27-2008 at 02:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:38 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

looks good. I dont think you will mind the extra weight as I ended up putting some weights taped to the 500 mah lipos I use. A bigger or heavier lipo will work so long as it fits.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:07 AM
jecchile

looks good. I dont think you will mind the extra weight as I ended up putting some weights taped to the 500 mah lipos I use. A bigger or heavier lipo will work so long as it fits.
Thanks... I will be using 850mah packs that I use with my Blade CX2... actually, tomorrow I will go to my LHS to see if they have any E-Flite S60 servos and a DSM2 receiver (6100e) to finish the electronics. The motor and ESC are installed already but my Hitec HS81 servos are a little too big and so is the Mini 6S Hitec receiver I have available... if they do not have them in stock, I think I will take my Blade CX2 apart and use those servos and receiver... that Heli is so easy to fly that it is getting boring so I must as well use the parts... After all the money I spent on the chopper though, since I did a lot of upgrades, I kind of feel bad to just cannibalize it.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:37 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

you can get 8 gram servos pretty cheap here ($3.66 ea) from Hong Kong

http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps81113

or this guy from Wisconsin has 5 servos for $25 - 8 gram

http://64.33.154.92/blackdogrc/servos.jsp?c=16645454

Or this guy has 8 gram servos for $5 individually, free shipping for $10 and over. I've bought from them before, they ship fast (in the US)

http://www.dollarrcparts.com/8-g-serv.html
Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

You can get servo for under $4 here too. Just make sure they are in stock before you order them. http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...=4&v=&sortlist=
Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 PM
jecchile

you can get 8 gram servos pretty cheap here ($3.66 ea) from Hong Kong
THANKS GUYS... I do need to have the S.E.5a airborne soon so I won't be able to order... I went to the LHS today and they did not have what I need so I will just use the servos and receiver from my CX2... anyway, I think I want to get a chopper that is more like a chopper - perhaps the Blade 400 will do. If my wife treats me right for my birthday, which is coming soon, I may just buy it.

HAPPY FLYING...

UPDATE: She is ready for its maiden flight and it has a DSM2 system installed - no frequency pins to worry about - I used the Tx, Rx and servos that came with my Blade CX2 and she works great... only problem was that one of the servos had a mounting tab broken off (because of the way it mounts in the heli) so I just CA them to the fuselage. The balance came pretty close with the battery installed... may have to add some weight to the nose after we check how it performs.

Last edited by jecchile; 02-28-2008 at 06:00 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:36 AM
jecchile

Well, it flew great... landing was a different story, the wheels are not very sturdy and broke on a not very hard landing... also, I did not do the rigging and the wings looked like they were flapping when doing a loop... now that I read the rigging part of the manual, it says that IT IS REQUIRED... oh well, at least the wings didn't break...

I put some foam wheels now - they do not look as good as the ones from the kit but they will do a better job of staying in one piece...

All in all, a really nice airplane. I hope that they continue with this series and produce more WW-I scale airplanes.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:59 AM
wilky
Off topic talking fool

Well, it flew great... landing was a different story,

All in all, a really nice airplane. I hope that they continue with this series and produce more WW-I scale airplanes.
Congrats on the maiden. How exactly did the wheels Break. got any pics of the carnage?
Old 02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
mustangpilot

Yep, those wheels are junk! I recommend them being tossed before you even put them on. They could break with a hard stair! The Williams Bros are your best bet but they can be hard to get, they have been out of production for sometime now. They are a little heaver but mine needed a little nose weight anyway.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3750.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	57842   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3757.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	57843  
Old 02-29-2008, 11:40 PM
jecchile

Originally Posted by wilky View Post
Congrats on the maiden. How exactly did the wheels Break. got any pics of the carnage?
No, I didn't have my camera... anyway, the wheels were not that bad but they were broken... one at the seam which came apart and the other had some pieces missing but could still roll... anyway, I change them to foam and should not have any more problems...
Old 02-29-2008, 11:43 PM
jecchile

Originally Posted by mustangpilot View Post
Yep, those wheels are junk!
I did get some foam wheels, they look OK but the main thing is their functionality... they roll great and are nice and soft for landing on the basketball courts where we fly indoors.

HAPPY FLYING...
Old 03-03-2008, 12:02 AM
drummrboy

maidened mine last wed. indoors.It flew great in the hands of my expert friend. He programmed the rudder into the left stick as well as the right so that it can be steered like a four channel on the ground; less confusing if you are used to four channel control. He also mixed in some down elevator with the throttle, so that it does not pitch up when full throttle is applied . Gotta love those computer radios ( Futaba 6EX 2.4 Ghz. ) Too bad i couldn't fly quite so well. I turned too sharply and tip stalled it. Minor damage but the wheels are toast. Seems to be a common problem.
I mounted the park 250 in the carbon tube with a layer of masking tape around the motor barrel. Fits nice and snug with no need for glue.( so far ).
Old 03-09-2008, 06:48 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Finally

Well Gang, I finally got around to finishing my connections for the speed control. I bought a 6 X 5 prop (recommended) and tried it on the plane. It was terrible! No pull at all! I switched to a 7 X 5 prop and what a difference! I think it's because of the increased area of the blade (bear in mind this testing is being done in the shop). Now I can wrap up the controls and finish the build. I think she will be a winner. Just need some good flying weather weather. Still can't find that darn camera... Martin
Old 03-12-2008, 03:17 AM
jecchile

Originally Posted by scalercflyer View Post
I bought a 6 X 5 prop (recommended) and tried it on the plane. It was terrible! No pull at all! I switched to a 7 X 5 prop and what a difference!
Mine flies with a 6x5 and it is plenty fast and will do a loop with no effort... I have also flown it outside with no problems... I'd be interested to know what happens when you fly it with a 7x5... Thanks...

Quick Reply: Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10376 seconds with 15 queries