Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread

Old 01-26-2008, 07:03 PM
mustangpilot

Today was the day, Maiden flight on the SE-5.she was a hand full at first. I got back down and made a few changes.I removed the nose weight that was needed for CG balance. I added move expo on the elevator and removed some expo on the ailerons. also added a touch more on the rudder. Next flight was better but it was a touch tail heavy. I taped a quarter over the nose,up again. That did the trick, she was flying almost level, just a couple clicks of down trim. It flies well but, I don't think she's as stable as the jenny. Now don't get me wrong if your already flying an aileron plane with rudder, you should have no trouble. Or if you opt not to install ailerons on this plane it should be more stable in the turns. But like most of them you have to use both aileron and rudder to make your turns. The wheels are junk, even with the copper tube insert they are just to thin. Also if you have the newer E-flight 250 motor don't use the o-ring, go get some with a little more thickness to them. I asked one of the other guys flying the jenny if I could see his o-ring,it was twice the thickness of mine. Hence why mine blew off in flight. ya, not a good thing. Over all I'm pleased with it. Jim
Old 01-26-2008, 07:57 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Wow..interesting!

I wonder why we have so many varied results from these eflite planes? I'm starting to think that every kit has its own personality.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:06 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Yeah......

Mine is attracted to basketball backboards....go figure....
Old 01-26-2008, 08:25 PM
mustangpilot

It does seem strange doesn't it? Your's didn't fly anything like what I've described Dave? Mine seems to have allot of yaw with the rudder. when you coordinate the turn with rudder with ailerons she's fine. Kev sorry to hear your's likes basket ball poles, I had a tiger moth that loved the rim. she even made a three pointer once Jim
Old 01-26-2008, 09:13 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default The build

Well Guys I'm back on the build again after being real sick for a week. I noticed a couple of things maybe one (or more) of you ran up against. When I was putting the control horns into the rudder and the elevator the slots were cut too small. I ended up splitting the rudder at the bottom. Also the clear plastic reinforcement buckled. After I glued the fin to the stab I trial fitted it to the fuse. The end of the rudder, at the bottom, moved so much side to side that I lost half the throw. I ended up using a very small plastic hinge on it to stabilize it. I had to put a small piece of foam into the hole at the end of the fuse. That way I had a place for the small hinge to attach to. I then noticed that I had more throw one way versus the other. This necessitated me carving the elevator relief larger. This solved the problem until I tried to deflect the rudder all the way to the left only to find the control horn hits the fuse. Very frustrating. I am going to have to cut the control horn down to get equal throws for right and left. The tail seems awful floppy to me. I may use a couple of very light carbon fiber rods to stiffen it up. Comments please Gentlemen. Martin
Old 01-26-2008, 09:21 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by mustangpilot View Post
It does seem strange doesn't it? Your's didn't fly anything like what I've described Dave? Mine seems to have allot of yaw with the rudder. when you coordinate the turn with rudder with ailerons she's fine. Kev sorry to hear your's likes basket ball poles, I had a tiger moth that loved the rim. she even made a three pointer once Jim
As soon as I get used to her, by flying her in a larger space, I should be ok. It's just getting used to her in such a small area.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 AM
mustangpilot

Hey Martin, I'm glad to hear your feeling better. I also thought that the tail maybe Little floppy, I added my fire line fishing string to the tail from the stab of the rudder to the stab of the ele down to the bottom. I believe it may have helped. I flew outside today and it was neat to see it floating by. Just enough wind to slow things down but not make it bouncy. It was fun to fly it outside afer the weather we've had. I post a few shots of how I've done mine. Maybe give you an idea on how to improve it. Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3742.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	53794   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3743.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	53795   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3745.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	53796  
Old 01-28-2008, 02:51 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Jim,

Nice job with the tail rigging. I was just effecting some repairs on the JN4; had to reattach the cabanes inside the fuse that came loose after smacking the backboard, and the rudder horn came torn off AGAIN. I am having a devil of a time strengthening that area. I am rather disappointed with E-Flite in the flimsiness of the tail feathers of this bird.

Hopefully I can fly her soon, maybe in Iowa next Saturday......
Old 01-28-2008, 04:26 AM
mustangpilot

Thanks Kev. Have you seen where they sandwich lite ply on the rudder around the control horn? My SE5 has been upgraded with aome thin plastic. It seems to be OK for now. The fire wire fishing line works great I used it in place of the supplied thread, much tuffer. Plus is it starts to sagg just twist it up,hold one end and give it a drop or two of thin C/A.I didnt notice if the plastic on the pic shows up or not? Jim
Old 01-28-2008, 04:34 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

The plastic on the rudder is standard for the SE5, I wish the jenny had it as well instead of adding ugly ply to beef it up.

I like the flying wires on that tail, I thought it was kind of flimsy...but I kept telling myself the plane only weighs 8 ozs... I'll keep an eye on it for weakness, but the 10-15 flights I made have been good so far.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:38 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I found one I took that shows the plastic piece. I think they listened to us about the Jenny and used this as a fix -

Old 01-28-2008, 04:54 AM
mustangpilot

Yes Dave, you captured what I was trying to say. The rudder was the first thing to break on Dad's jenny. he fixed it twice then remade one with 6mm depron. It's held so far. Jim
Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I could get some comparision video with the SE5 VS the Jenny, doing some loops and high bank turns. I still favor the SE5 for being more maneuverable
Old 01-28-2008, 01:01 PM
mustangpilot

That would be neat, my experience on the two is like apples and oranges. Dads jenny does not have ailerons and my SE5 does. So I cant make a fair comparison really. But I would add that the SE5 seems more responsive to rudder input.and maybe a tad better on elevator as well. Jim
Old 01-28-2008, 02:04 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Thanks guys. I may just have to replace that rudder with depron myself sometime soon.

Saturday may get scratched, Dave.....forecast is calling for snow, and I am not hip to driving 3 hrs in that. If it changes though, who knows.....
Old 01-29-2008, 03:03 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default The tail

Jim, thanks for the tip on the tail! The fix you made is exactly what I had in mind. I too do not like the rigging line provided in the kit. :p I do have some Kevlar fishing string (that happens to be olive green!)for the rigging. I think I'll give it a go with that. I have enjoyed the build (well mostly) so far. I have the tail glued on, the lower wing in place, the controls in, the motor in place, speed control hooked up and control runs hooked up. I didn't like the giant hole on the bottom of the fuse so I made a press fit balsa hatch with a large hole for cooling which I painted green. I came up with a nice pair of Williams Brothers WWI wheels which are slightly larger than the crappy ones in the kit. They do weigh a little more, but from what I understand this bird needs a little weight up front. These wheels are about 1/8th of an inch larger that the kit ones, but Boy do they look sweet! Tonight I'm going to add some balsa wood to the landing gear struts wires. Looks too sparse for me. I am also going to super detail the Lewis and add the Vickers to the fuse as well as a windshield. The reference material I am using is the Squadron Signal book SE5a in action. Now I just need to find that darn camera...... Martin
Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 AM
mustangpilot

I'm looking forward in seeing your finished SE5. I have been looking for a set of Williams bro wheels, no luck so far. They made a set that I think was about 2 1/8th, I think. Your right about the weight,but I'm not sure if the CG is correct or not, I balanced mine as stated and it was to nose heavy, but according to my Great Planes CG machine it was spot on.But My first flight was pretty exciting to say the least. I removed the weight that I had used, but then you guest it tail heavy, but not real bad. I landed and taped a quarter to nose. TAA-DA! that was perfect. So I guess all I'm saying here is be ready to make some CG corrections. So find that camera I want to see your SE5 take care. Jim
Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Flea market

In the beginning of March, every year, I attend a GIANT flea market in Lebanon PA. I have been going to this event for 25 + years! This flea market has everything! I will look for a nice set of wheels for you (and anyone else interested) if you would like. BTW Jim, you should see those books sometime next week. Martin
Old 01-29-2008, 04:38 AM
mustangpilot

Martin, I plan on looking very hard at Toledo this year. It just so hard to see everything, by the end of the two day trip my head will almost turn 350 degrees If you come across a set I'll pay you for um, even if I have a set by then. I have placed rubber bands on the tire portion of the tires with C/A, but they are as you say"crap" I C/Aed the rims just to get a few flights yesterday. But I do like the way it looks flying by, just some thing about scale planes. Even if it is foam I don't care I like it. And yes I'm looking forward to reading the books. Many thanks. Jim
Old 02-01-2008, 03:52 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default SE5a Detail

Here's an excellent site for detailing your SE5a. You gotta love it! Martin
http://www.wwi-models.org/Photos/Bri/RafSe5a/index.html
Old 02-02-2008, 12:46 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Have you guys thought about regular parkfyer wheels with index card cone wheelcovers. That's what I did on my little tripe. Steve
Old 02-03-2008, 02:27 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default The build

Well Boys the build continues. I have the wings measured and mounted. I added some balsa wood to the LG and installed the Williams Brothers wheels. Boy do they look sweet! I have to scrounge up some oak stain to put on the balsa LG struts. Might use tea bags though. Another thing that was holding me up was waiting for my BERGs, which finally arrived. After hooking up the elevator I find it has WAY TOO MUCH throw. I need to cut it down to about half of what I have. The BERG RX is not on my FUTABA computer radio's 44 channel, so I can't dial in what I need. My trusty 4 CH Futaba will have to do. I also need to get a connector for my LIPOL now. It's coming close to completion. I promise to give you some pics. Also what do you Guys think of Kevlar fishing string for the rigging? It happens to already be green. Think it will look OK? How did you Guys like that website on the SE5a? Jim, I noticed your tail rigging was awful close to the original. I plan to also rig the tail and put as much detail in as I can. I'm not too worried about drag since this plane is never going to fly fast. The motor I have has enough power to handle this. Martin
Old 02-03-2008, 04:31 AM
mustangpilot

Hi Martin, I found a set of Williams bros wheels, your right they look great. I'll post the pictures tomorrow! I made a bushing out of a short piece of copper, then used a piece of air line tubing to keep the wheels on. They are a vast improvement over the egg shell stock wheels. Martin that Web site is unreal, what a find! Jim
Old 02-03-2008, 07:10 PM
mustangpilot

OK guys and gal's, Here are a few shots of my SE5 with the Williams Brothers wheels, man what a huge up grade. You wont have to worry about these breaking apart, or if they do you just might have a little no damage than just the wheels. I have not flown her with these on but I do believe I should be able to remove some nose weight, but I'm going to fly it once and double check. Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3753.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	54430   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3750.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	54431   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3757.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	54432  
Old 02-03-2008, 09:50 PM
simibill
General Factotum

I sure like those Williams Brothers wheels. Do you have a part number?
As an aside; How do you get the o-ring prop saver on? This has become the hardest part of assembling my S.E.5a

Quick Reply: Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15053 seconds with 17 queries