Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:12 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Sweet

Sweet looking plane aviatordave! I'm picking mine up tomorrow! Can't wait! We have an indoor fly on the 25th. She'll be the bell of the ball! Martin
Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 AM
WWI Ace
triplane test pilot

Finish up your little foam Fokker tripe and get one of your flying buddies to dogfight you Martin!!! Steve
Old 01-08-2008, 12:16 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

It flys great!

I flew it countless times yesterday, even attempted some formation flying with another SE5a which I sucked at

The plane had awsome power with that CDROM motor I used and only needed a couple clicks of right rudder for no hands flying. IMHO, they worked the bugs out on this plane and it handles better than the Jenny.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

nice video Dave,
I thought your formation stuff didn't look so bad. Heck, when I'm that close to anything I usually run into it....:o

You are really taking off with the biplanes that you have been building. You build some good stuff Dave..

I certainly wouldn't mind having an indoor place to fly like you guys do..
Old 01-08-2008, 12:39 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Very nice Dave.....soon as I get my credit, I'll have to get one. I have the same motor/ESC combo ready for it. Might as well give them a home.....
Old 01-08-2008, 01:44 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Got it!

Well Boys I picked up the SE5a eflite kit today from the HS. At first I thought it was just another overpriced ARF but I quickly changed my mind! I am impressed with this kit! The kit is somewhat sparse (supposed to be in an ARF). It does, however, have an absolutely beautiful fuselage that is well constructed and complete. The control runs are already in place. It has a nice laser cut engine mount already installed, servo bays are cut out and ready to accept the servos. It also has a cockpit installed and engine covers installed. I plan to super detail the fuse and engine and maybe have Snoopy fly her. After all I can't go into battle without a pilot. I will start by adding longer exhaust tubes, painting the exhaust manifolds and adding the missing Vickers to the fuse. After all, I need some fire power to survive in the war choked skies over South Jersey! I will be constructing the kit over the next week or so as time permits. Should go quite quickly. Just need to find that darn camera...... This build thread by aviatordave pretty much shows the steps to basic construction. I will only highlight the mods I will perform. More details to come... Martin. and NO Steve, It will not be red!!!! Not even a little!!!
Old 01-08-2008, 03:13 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

What's wrong with red?
Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 PM
mustangpilot

Very nice Dave. so Would it be safe to say you like it?? :-) Jim
Old 01-21-2008, 03:07 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default The Prop!

Boys, I seem to have missed which prop size was used on the eflite SE5a. The instructions state a 6X5 prop. Ever try to find one???! I'm guessing I'll be OK with a 7X5 or an 8X5. Comments/suggestions always welcomed. BTW, I'm using a motor similar to aviatordaves with a 540mah 2cell lipol to feed it. Martin
Old 01-21-2008, 03:15 AM
mustangpilot

Hey Martin, I'm not sure about going much bigger than a 7x5 it would more than likely pull more watts than you would want it too,for a 540 pack? I ordered mine from toddsmodels.com. If you check with Horizon I'll bet they stock them also. Hope this helps. Jim
Old 01-21-2008, 05:51 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Thanks!

Thanks Jim! I think I'll stick with the 7X5 prop as you suggest. I think it's readily available. BTW, I have a VERY NICE book on Mustangs if you would like it (for free!!!). I assume you like Mustangs? Just PM me with your addy and I'll send it! PS: I have a kit of the HOB P51 just waiting for a someday build. Martin
Old 01-21-2008, 06:12 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I'm using a 9x4.7 prop with the motor I used. Flys good

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=012

pulls 6-7 amps WOT. I am using a 2 cell 460 mah 15C lipo.

Last edited by aviatordave; 01-21-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:44 AM
mustangpilot

Thats pretty good Dave, maybe I didnt see what motor you guys where talking about??? What kind on flight times are you getting?? I'm set up to run the E-Flite 250 with 700 mah two cell pack. It looks like I'm going to be a tad tail heavy?? I hope to maiden it this saturday. Jim
Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Motor

Jim, the motor I'm using resembles the one used in this thread by aviatordave. I have to look for the specs, but I bought it with a 10amp ESC as a combo. I think it'll do the job just fine. Martin
Old 01-22-2008, 03:27 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Red tailed P51

Jim care to enlighten me as to the P51's unit you have as you aviator? I don't think it's a Tuskeegee P51 but I could be wrong. Martin
Old 01-22-2008, 03:32 AM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Flight times on the SE5a

What kind of flight times are you getting with that batt/prop combo aviatordave? Martin
Old 01-22-2008, 03:57 AM
mustangpilot

Martin my Avatar is "BigDick" Pilot, Major Richard Hewitt, 8th USAAF 78th FG.
I have my little SE5 ready heres a shot of her. I hope to maiden her this saturday. Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3679.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	52997  
Old 01-22-2008, 04:00 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hey Mustangpilot,
Your SE-5 looks great.. Nice job. good luck with your maiden. Let us know how it goes..

ps.. I like your signature..
Old 01-22-2008, 04:13 AM
mustangpilot

Thanks Bruce,I had to come up with something to tell the Mrs, she does not come out to the shop very often but sometimes I'll let you know how things go. If its any thing like the Jenny she will be fun. My Dad has the Jenny and that one flies great, I love shooting touch n go's.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default SE5a

Jim unless I am seeing things, apparently you have also added ailerons. Nice! I also was admiring your LG upgrade. Perhaps you can share a little about the way you went about it. Did you use balsa or ply ( I like to use Popsicle sticks. I get them at the dollar store.100 for a buck!) on the LG? I also noted you did a little painting too on the engine. Very, very nice touches. Great job! Best of luck on the maiden. I'm sure it'll be great. You did us proud. Martin
Old 01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
mustangpilot

Hi, and thanks. Yes I did add ailerons, I'm missing the hardware to connect the upper and lower, but thats been ordered and should be here Wednesday, I hope. As for the landing gear mod's, I used some scrap balsa from my Aeronca Chief I'm building,thats the wing in the back ground. I used a light oak stain on it, it could have been a tad darker but thats all the stain I had on hand.I used low temp hot glue to attach the balsa to the wire. I've found that its flexible enough to not break as the gear wire flexes. The motor I just used some testor paint to give it a used look. I also mixed some green and black craft paint and painted the leading edge on the wings and tail. Some of my flying buddies think I'm nuts,But hey, I like to make them look as real as possible, foam or not. Jim
Old 01-22-2008, 04:10 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by scalercflyer View Post
What kind of flight times are you getting with that batt/prop combo aviatordave? Martin
I'm flying indoors at a bit less than half throttle. Once in awhile I give it some gas to get out of someones way, but the planes cooks along good at ~half throttle giving me over 10 min. I usually land after that so I can fly my other planes. I also have a 700 mah pack that would work and that would prob give me close to 20 min if I was inclined to fly that long. If you have a heavier pack to use, go for it. This plane needed the extra nose weight, so might as well put a decent pack in there.

I had to tape a steel washer to the battery for nose weight as mine was tail heavy when I used the 460 mah lipo.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
mustangpilot

Hey Dave, I just wondered if it was me? mine is a little tail heavy with a 700 or 730 mah pack I cant remember. So it looks like I better add some nose weight. I still have to add my hardware for ailerons, So I'm for sure going to be tail heavy! Also Dave, will you be coming to E-Fest? Thanks. Jim
Old 01-23-2008, 01:53 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

The guy I flew with a couple weeks ago said his was tail heavy also, so its not you . If you have a bigger pack, see if you can make it work.

I'm contemplating the E-fest...its a 5 hr drive. There are other guys going that live around here, but I got this thing called 'kids' that require some attention....cant trust teenagers

I am planning on this though, http://www.e-xpodome.com/ (Feb 16-17)

Not sure how far away you are, but its huge inside (160 foot ceiling) and all the pro guys will be there also.

Remember the old days when wintertime killed flying? gotta love these electrics
Old 01-23-2008, 04:58 AM
mustangpilot

Well thats kind of good to hear, Its not bad tail heavy but for my first flight I'd rather be safe. I wasn't sure how far in Iowa you where? I'm right here in town. Our club helps work the event, I work the flight line. I wanted to meet you if you where going to make the trip. I fully understand about kids. I graduated both mine are out of the coop. Now just dealing with the wife and empty nest syndrome. Stay warm, and Yes gotta love these electrics. Jim

Quick Reply: Eflite S.E.5a put-together-thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10435 seconds with 14 queries