Eflite Jenny Put-together-thread - Page 4 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Eflite Jenny Put-together-thread

Old 11-25-2007, 01:43 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Its done now...just need to maiden it -

Old 11-25-2007, 01:45 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I'll get some video of it flying indoors tomorrow for you guys. At least I know the weather inside will never be to windy, rainy, hot, cold.....
Old 11-25-2007, 01:56 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

it could end up raining planes though.

I am sure some of these guys haven't been in the air for a while, others are just starting out...
Old 11-25-2007, 02:03 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Nice job Dave....... Feel free to box her up and mail it to me.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:29 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Looks good Dave! Probably a good thing you broke your rudder before you flew it. I broke mine on my second flight doing hammerhead stalls, thankfully not all the way through so I was able to land okay. The weather out here has been great for flying, if not a little cool, so I've already flown 8 or 9 batteries through mine. Just got back from the field in fact
Old 11-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Looks nice Dave.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:01 AM
barmonkey

Good luck on the maiden!

I thought I would share my solution for mounting my Ele 1500kv motor.
1) I removed the firewall mount from the motor.
2) I placed the kit's motor mount tube inside the Ele's firewall mount.
3) I used this assembly to center the Ele's mount on the Jenny's ply firewall.
4) I traced the outline of the Ele's mount.
5) I removed the offending part of the Jenny's firewall.
6) I then C/A'd a piece of light ply to the inside of the Jenny's firewall.
7) Finally I screwed the Ele's mount to the new ply.

This recessed the motor just enough to let the cowl fit perfectly.

I made a mess with the C/A when I reglued the new ply piece...It seems there was a lot of paint on the inside of the Jenny's firewall.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	47805   Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	47806  
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I flew the Jenny today a bunch of times. I needed a little more nose weight and I might make the bottom wings take in a bit more dihedral to soften the turns.

All in all its a great plane, looks cool in the air!

Here is a video of me flying my jenny and another guy with his. We attempted to try formation flying but we are terrible.....There was also a pico Tigermoth flying with us.

Thats me at the end if your wondering

[Wilbur - notice that people in Iowa wear blue jeans, not those skin colored pants you wear...]

OK....on to the vid -----> Jenny Formation 11 meg
Old 11-26-2007, 07:28 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
[Wilbur - notice that people in Iowa wear blue jeans, not those skin colored pants you wear...
the people of Iowa? I only see two people in this video. You, wearing some sort of pleated jeans?

And some other guy behind the screen, who may, or may not be wearing pants...
Old 11-26-2007, 07:55 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Cool Video Dave.

I liked the swarm of little yellow bipes.........
Old 11-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I flew the Jenny today a bunch of times. I needed a little more nose weight and I might make the bottom wings take in a bit more dihedral to soften the turns.
Nice flying Dave. That looks like fun!

I'm surprised to hear you need more nose weight given your motor upgrade. I thought that too after my first flight, but then I realized the battery was not all the way forward. I was mushing all over the place and didn't feel like I had very precise control. It flies much better now.

The WOW RC batteries that you and I use have a thin layer of foam wrapped around each end, which makes it a tight squeeze to get them all the way in there. To make it easier, I used some hot glue to afix the motor leads to the bottom of the motor mount so they are not in the way. It is still tight, but the battery now slides in nicely so that about 1/2 is visible through the opening in the bottom of the cowl. Mine balances perfectly like that.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:09 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Hey doug -

I took the foam part off the batteries to make life easier for me, it fits in real nice now. I am using 2 different WOWRC batteries, a 500 & 800 mah. The 800 works fine and balances perfect. The 500 needed more nose weight so I taped a washer to the battery and that did the trick.

What did you use to secure that brass tube to your motor with? My RTV idea didnt work out so well and the motor got a little loose.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Hey doug -

I took the foam part off the batteries to make life easier for me, it fits in real nice now. I am using 2 different WOWRC batteries, a 500 & 800 mah. The 800 works fine and balances perfect. The 500 needed more nose weight so I taped a washer to the battery and that did the trick.

What did you use to secure that brass tube to your motor with? My RTV idea didnt work out so well and the motor got a little loose.
Grasshopper turned me on to JB Weld when I was trying to dress up my P-47 landing gear with faux gear doors. I didn't get a good bond to the milk carton plastic I was using so they didn't last long, but that is what I used on my Jenny motor mount stick. It takes awhile to set (give it 24 hours), but it feels rock solid.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 PM
BUCKSHOT

Do You Think A 3s 850 Will Fit ?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
my 2S 800 fits with room to spare...I'm sure you can make it work.

it doesnt need a whole lot of power to fly...
Old 11-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
Not neatly. 2 cells is a snug fit, so you would need to reconstruct the battery compartment. As it is the battery slides between the plastic cowling and the bottom of the plywood motor mount box, so you would either need to re-build the ply structure or cut away some of the cowling. It might also give you some balancing issues, though I'm sure you could make it work. IMO, you would be better off buying some 2 cell batteris. They are pretty cheap compared to bigger li-pos, and provide all the power this little airplane needs.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:14 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Dave,

Were I to take the plunge (since this would be nice to show off at our indoor flyins) and use the same motor as you, can I mount this on the firewall, or do I need to find someone that can fabricate a shaft mount for me? (hint hint)

I am a sucker for Jennys, or most any bipe for that matter. Can't beat this price, fer sure.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:45 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Kev -

You can buy it from alot of places. Horizon only charged $5 shipping which I dont think the other guys can compete with.

If you go with my set up or Dougs, Jeff @ heads up RC will take care of ya.

I'll make you a tube if you want. Horizon has the eflite 250 motor for sale if you want to install that with no mods.

Let us know what you decide. I am thinking of putting lights on it for evening flying at hodges...that would be cool
Old 11-27-2007, 05:09 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hey Dave,
The Jenny looks great.. Cool video. I think I could like flying indoors. especially the way the wind has been here lately. good job!
Old 11-27-2007, 03:52 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Dave,

I've got the OK from the financial department (you know, the missus LOL) to order this on Friday. I'll go with your setup, since it saves me over $60. If you can make me a mount, I would greatly appreciate it. Just let me know what I owe you and where to send it.

I am sure I will have a bunch of stupid questions......of course, I could just get a case or two of Icehouse and have it on standby if you want to come out and show me the ropes.....LOL
Old 11-27-2007, 04:13 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Let us know what you decide. I am thinking of putting lights on it for evening flying at hodges...that would be cool
just watch out for the strykers, UFO's, them darn wooden shoe guys and thier highliners, as well as a myriad or slow sticks supercubs and other lit aerial things.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Dave,

I've got the OK from the financial department (you know, the missus LOL) to order this on Friday. I'll go with your setup, since it saves me over $60. If you can make me a mount, I would greatly appreciate it. Just let me know what I owe you and where to send it.

I am sure I will have a bunch of stupid questions......of course, I could just get a case or two of Icehouse and have it on standby if you want to come out and show me the ropes.....LOL

If Dave were any kind of guy at all, he would make the stick mount for you for free and send you the beer. Because it is all about you Kev!

So how did you get the financial department to cut lose? I'm guessing you didn't start out with the old "I already know the answer but".......
Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
just watch out for the strykers, UFO's, them darn wooden shoe guys and thier highliners, as well as a myriad or slow sticks supercubs and other lit aerial things.
So its like a cornfield with fireflys. I should be used to that -
Old 11-27-2007, 07:27 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Dave,

Ok..good think I didnt mount that 2nd motor I got yet in the Tiger Moth. I'll make one up tomorrow for ya and test fit it. I'll make it longer and you can cut it to length, its nylon and cuts easily.

Maybe I can send some of this snow we got over to you....... I'll take the Icehouse, it makes building airplanes more enjoyable
Old 11-27-2007, 07:59 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
If Dave were any kind of guy at all, he would make the stick mount for you for free and send you the beer. Because it is all about you Kev!

So how did you get the financial department to cut lose? I'm guessing you didn't start out with the old "I already know the answer but".......
Nope I learned my lesson.....I told her instead of buying the P-47 for Christmas, since I can't really fly it much til spring, why not wait on that til my birthday and get the indoor flyer for Christmas? Oh, did I mention my birthday is in January? The 29th, in fact, since it's all about me!

Ok..good think I didnt mount that 2nd motor I got yet in the Tiger Moth. I'll make one up tomorrow for ya and test fit it. I'll make it longer and you can cut it to length, its nylon and cuts easily.

Maybe I can send some of this snow we got over to you....... I'll take the Icehouse, it makes building airplanes more enjoyable
Thanks Dave, I'll PM you my address. Do I need something special to attach it? I thought you said RTV or something? Not familiar with that. Can I use epoxy or what would you suggest?

Quick Reply: Eflite Jenny Put-together-thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16582 seconds with 14 queries