Eflite Jenny Put-together-thread - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Eflite Jenny Put-together-thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Thanks Murph. Do they come in different sizes? Is there any place in particular you get them? You can PM me so we don't hijack Dave's thread.
its ok

I had a bad experience once with them.....lost the entire plane so it gave me a bad feeling. If your good about PMCS then you wont have a problem.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

What's PMCS?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:18 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
those beers are for sissies

Icehouse is what I drink, not sure if its available on the west coast.

I'll buy a box of wine now and then.

Miller Lite helps me to keep my FIGURE and it taste good too
Old 11-16-2007, 06:19 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

What's PMCS?
You dont want to know what PMS is
Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

What's PMCS?
ohh...MO

Preventive

Maintenance

Checks

&

Services

(sorry...its a military term)
Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I have 5 sisters, a wife and 3 daughters. Trust me, I know what it is. At least on the receiving end of it.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:22 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
YA! What Grasshopper said!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

PMS?........Plane Modeling Symposium.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:05 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount my motor. I got a nifty little outrunner from Heads Up RC, but it doesn't fit on the motor mounting stick. It is the exact same problem that Dave had, but unlike Dave I don't have the ability to fabricate a part at work.

I thought about using the motor mount that came with the motor, but then I would have to rebuild the firewall to keep the motor inside the cowling. I am tempted to just epoxy the motor right to the plywood firewall. It fits perfectly in the hole intended for the mounting stick, and it would be in the proper position within the cowling too. My only concern is the strength of such a mount. It nestles right into the hole and would probably hold just fine, but it probably wouldn't be as strong as the stick mount that Dave is using.

I think I will go to my LHS this weekend (after OSU vs. Michigan - go Buckeyes!) to see what other solutions they might offer.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:18 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Can you take any pics of the motor installed into the hole? Maybe we can brainstorm and come up with an idea. Would a hoseclamp type device be able to be installed inside to box to help retain the motor?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Can you take any pics of the motor installed into the hole? Maybe we can brainstorm and come up with an idea. Would a hoseclamp type device be able to be installed inside to box to help retain the motor?
I'll take a picture of the motor fitted into the mount tonight. I think the back of the motor is basically the same as yours, so your solution would work for me too. I just need to find a thin light-weight piece of tubing with an inside diameter of 8mm.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:41 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I can make you one on Monday and mail it to you...just like mine.

You can get the plane mostly done without the motor...let me know
Old 11-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Thanks Dave! I will try to figure out something over the weekend and if I can't find a good solution I will take you up on it.

Does yours fit in the cowling okay? Even with the back of the motor stuck through the firewall, mine barely does. In fact the prop saver will be on the outside of the cowling, whereas the instructions show the prop adapter on the inside with the stock setup. Don't know if I like the look of it that way so I may look for a prop adapter at the LHS.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:58 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Here are some pictures illustrating my motor mounting dilema. As you can see, the motor fits quite nicely right onto the firewall without any mounting hardware. The barrel on the back of the motor is 8mm in diameter, exactly the same as the hole in the firewall. It is tempting to just glue it right on and be done with it.

With the motor resting in place, it extends out of the cowling more than enough. In fact, the prop saver cannot be mounted behind the cowling as it is with the stock motor. I don't care for the look of it so will try to find a prop adapter this weekend. The typical bullet-shaped prop adapter looks great on a sport plane, but maybe not so good on a Curtis Jenny. I'll see what I can find.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8994.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	47131   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8996.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	47132   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8997.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	47133   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8992.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	47134  
Old 11-17-2007, 07:06 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

I see what you are saying. You must be looking at the picture on Page 15 at the top. I saw that also and decided to put the prop saver on the outside on mine to make life easy. I cant figure out how a guy can get that o-ring around the prop and attach it to the prop saver with the cowl on...seems impossible ??

so what do you think of the plane? (as you opened the box)
Old 11-17-2007, 07:18 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I see what you are saying. You must be looking at the picture on Page 15 at the top. I saw that also and decided to put the prop saver on the outside on mine to make life easy. I cant figure out how a guy can get that o-ring around the prop and attach it to the prop saver with the cowl on...seems impossible ??

so what do you think of the plane? (as you opened the box)
You are probably right about the prop saver. I have never used one and was wondering about the best way to put the prop on. This one wouldn't be so bad if the screws weren't so long. Maybe I'll just cut them to about half the length.

And I do love this little airplane! Can't wait to get it in the air. I am still waiting on a male JST connector so I can hook up the battery. Heads Up RC agreed to send me one because they mistakenly said the battery came with T-connectors installed. They actually came with JST connectors. Jeff at Heads Up was quick to make it right though, so no complaints.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:32 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Crap....you just reminded me that I forgot to order some bullet connectors. I'll do it this weekend, I have a indoor fly on Sunday Nov. 25.

I'll be offline for the rest of the weekend, have to visit the parents in Wisconsin before they leave to Florida for the Winter.....life is rough for them

Jeff is one of the best. I hope he does this business for awhile, I am comfortable ordering from him.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:42 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

I've got my Jenny all put together except for the rigging wires, which I will do today.

I found a solution for the motor mount issue hidden in a large bag of miscellaneous aluminum and brass tubes that I found at a hobby shop on the far end of town (for anyone in the Seattle area, Galaxy Hobby in Lynnwood, WA - great RC selection!). What a great find! $16 for all the tubing I will ever need in just about every size imaginable. I was able to find a piece with a perfect 8mm ID. I cut it to about 3/4 inch then slid it over the motor shaft barrel and carbon fiber tube for a snug fit. I used JB Weld to fuse it all together, being VERY careful to keep the stuff off the motor shaft. Then I widened the hole in the firewall to allow the brass tube to slide in, and shortened the end of the carbon fiber tube so it wouldn't interfere with servo installation. It all fits perfectly!

I was also able to find a length of brass tube that fits perfectly over the landing gear axle. Following the advice from other modelers, I drilled out the cheapo plastic wheels, cut the tube to the exact width of the wheel and tapped the tube into place. The wheels turn freely with no wobble and will hopefully be stronger.

The only real problem I encountered was with the soft plastic wheel collars. I could not get then over the wheel axles. I trird reaming one out just a little, but then as I was trying to tap it onto the axle it slipped out and flew somewhere onto the garage floor. I crawled around for about 10 minutes but never found it! I'm now using metal wheel collars instead.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9000.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	47258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9002.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	47259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9003.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	47260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9005.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	47261  
Old 11-19-2007, 01:51 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Just got back from my maiden flight. My Jenny flew beautifully!
Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by D Payne View Post
Just got back from my maiden flight. My Jenny flew beautifully!
Thats Great to Hear D Payne Enjoy your new plane, Chellie
Old 11-25-2007, 01:06 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

OK..sorry to have neglected this thread, the plane has been done for a week or so, but Mother Nature has been mean to us Iowans giving us cold, snow and wind....so no maiden yet. I have an indoor flying session tomorrow (sun 11/25) and will do it there....

so on to the rest of the pictures ---
Old 11-25-2007, 01:19 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Here is the new AR6100 rx with the end pins, much nicer to work with IMHO.

Installing the motor..dab some generic grease on the bearing since it will be RTV'd to the tube and we dont want any sticky stuff in the bearing...

Here is the tube I used and the black RTV. This particular RTV is used in the manufacturing of circuit breakers and bonds plastic to metal well. I 'borrowed' some from work

Old 11-25-2007, 01:25 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

OK...installing the bottom wing, pretty simple, make it straight and screw it down with the samll screws. Be careful to not overtighten and go thru the foam wings.

[make life easy on yourself and use a magnetic screwdriver!]

And no surprise, this is what you end up with -

Next come the wing struts, basically its all plug and play...

The top wing installation makes you pre-drill a small hole on top of the struts. I just used my x-acto knife and made small pilot holes. This is where you need to take time to make sure the wing is true to the world.

and the finished product -

Old 11-25-2007, 01:29 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

This is about where I broke the tail just looking at the plane. I ever so slightly bumped it into the wall. This is what the weak point of the plane is...better here than at the field...

And here is how I fixed it. I just glued it back together and ran a strip of balsa along the edge to share the torsional push and pull the rudder gets.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:42 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Next I installed the flying wires. All I have to say is that you need good eyesight (glasses for me) and good patience trying to feed the string thru the holes. It worked out ok....

another view -

the landing gear is pretty much plug and play

Quick Reply: Eflite Jenny Put-together-thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15373 seconds with 19 queries