Eflite Jenny Put-together-thread - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Eflite Jenny Put-together-thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
Glad you like. Are these big pics too much on the PC? I wasnt sure if I should do it this way or use the thumbnails. I like the close up pics also, I just turned 40 this year and needed glasses. The macro shots help us older guy to put things into perspective

They had a calendar contest a little while ago for 2008. Once in awhile they have other contests, so keep that in mind, it doesnt need to be aerial photo shots at all.
Hi Dave,
No, I don't think they are too big. most folks will like the larger photos, I think. I have had some problem getting this thread to load. But last night my computer did something strange while it and I were asleep. this morning I had to shut it down and restart it. Had a unusual screen showing that some bad stuff had happened. It seems ok now, just loads this thread weird...
I'm a little over 40 myself and I like Readers Digest Large Print Threads........haha
Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

If you were worried at all.....a really small hose clamp could ensure no slipping.

Name:  plane.gif
Views: 437
Size:  2.1 KB
Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 PM
ducatirdr

Default Fragile stock wheels replacement

After a minor doink I broke one of my stock wheels. I tried to repair them but ended up having a wobbling wheel.

I found some Guillow's 2 inch wheels at a LHS for $1.99 (4 wheels in a pack). They require gluing the wheels together and a little touch of Dremel drill to enlarge the hole.

They look like WWI stock wheels can't tell them from the Jenny stock wheels although they are all black.

They are a bit heavier than stock but more robust and worth the $1.99

Guillow's Parts & Accessories Lightweight 2 inch Wheels (4 in pack)
Guillow's product# 116
Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Hey Dave, how's your Jenny coming together? I'm curious to see what if anything you will do to beef up the landing gear. Sounds like a potential weak point.

I got a call from my wife today telling me that a very large box had appeared on our front porch. Usually those boxes are addressed to her and are full of shoes, but not this one

The motor and servos, etc. arrived yesterday and the Rx is another day or two out but on the way. I will need to get some bullet connectors from the LHS as I forgot to get those with the motor, and may also look for a larger carbon fiber tube. My motor is also going to be too big to fit on the stock tube, though I will probably just end up using the included firewall mount if I can.

Can't wait to get home and have my first look at it all!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:52 AM
BUCKSHOT

So Do Ya Think I Could Use A Vampower 850mah 3s In This Plane,i Got A Couple Lying Around.......hate To See Them Go To Waste
Old 11-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
So Do Ya Think I Could Use A Vampower 850mah 3s In This Plane,i Got A Couple Lying Around.......hate To See Them Go To Waste
Hey I think you're supposed to buy the battery to match the plane, not the other way around!

But seriously, 11.1v would sure juice up the prop speed. It's designed for 7.4. The stock motor might not like it, but you could pick up something that could for cheaper. Maybe someone who has actually tried it will weigh in...
Old 11-15-2007, 02:08 AM
BUCKSHOT

Yeah They Were The Super Cub Battery's......rip
Old 11-15-2007, 05:44 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by D Payne View Post
Hey Dave, how's your Jenny coming together? I'm curious to see what if anything you will do to beef up the landing gear. Sounds like a potential weak point.

I got a call from my wife today telling me that a very large box had appeared on our front porch. Usually those boxes are addressed to her and are full of shoes, but not this one

The motor and servos, etc. arrived yesterday and the Rx is another day or two out but on the way. I will need to get some bullet connectors from the LHS as I forgot to get those with the motor, and may also look for a larger carbon fiber tube. My motor is also going to be too big to fit on the stock tube, though I will probably just end up using the included firewall mount if I can.

Can't wait to get home and have my first look at it all!
I'm dragging my feet

I decided to use a different radio system so I want to install a AR6100 reciever to use with my DX7. So.....I am waiting for it to show up in my mailbox.

One thing I discovered is that once you attach the wings and the wing rigging, you cannot take the wing off unless you want to completely destroy the wing rigging. Therefore the reciever needs to be set up 100% before the wings are attached. Bummer as I do not have my reciever yet.

I did a little bit in the meantime and I will post the pics below.

D. Payne - if you put yours together, feel free to post pics and ideas here. The more insight the better!

oh ya.....I have to compliment horizon hobby on shipping that big box...it only cost me $5 shipping! I've ordered ESC's that were shipped in envelopes that cost me twice that!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:50 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Control Horns

Its pretty simple, they have the slot cut out for you already and the fit is perfect-

Just add some foam safe glue on the backs and it aint comming off. Some people have made a modification here and added a thin piece of plywood for extra strength. I havent done that (yet)

Old 11-15-2007, 05:58 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Servo Installation

I used 9 gram servos here. The manual calls out for 6 gram servos. So basically I am using slightly larger servos and need to make a modification to the servo bay. - no biggie

Next I had to drill out the control arms to fit the supplied EZ connector.

Then I attached the control rods to the servo.

Here is what it looks like from the other side. The servos actually sit upside down in the fuse as this pic is taken with the plane sitting upright. The cowl fits over this so it cannot be seen.

And here is where my new reciever will go .......

Old 11-15-2007, 06:03 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Default Wheels

Well....these are different, thats for sure. The inner wheel (looks like a lite wheel that GWS would use) is actually made of lite ply. The outer 'hubcap' is plastic. The holes were to small so I had to drill them out so the axle would fit.

Plan on drilling or expanding the hole on the retaining ring, it wont fit unless you make it fit.

So what do you have to do to make this thing beefier?

Yes..........that dent in the hubcap is supposed to be there!
Old 11-15-2007, 06:06 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Until I get my reciever I cant do much more...except work on my TigerMoth which I will prob do a build thread on just for the fun of it

Here is the mess on my workbench -

(The bottle of beer is optional )

Old 11-15-2007, 06:32 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I don't see any hotglue....
Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

welll....there is Gorilla Glue off on the left. I havent had a need for the glue gun yet. Maybe after I fly......I actually do bring it with me
Old 11-15-2007, 07:17 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BUCKSHOT View Post
You can modify that battery into a 2 cell. So instead of having two 3 cell 850 mah batteries, you could have three 2 cells with a little safe modification if your capable.

I dont see a 3 cell fitting very easily, I have a 2 cell 800mah that will just fit.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:40 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

One thing I discovered is that once you attach the wings and the wing rigging, you cannot take the wing off unless you want to completely destroy the wing rigging. Therefore the reciever needs to be set up 100% before the wings are attached.

Don't attach the rigging as shown in the manual. Run a thin strip of plastic(I use litter bottle) to attach. Tip I found somewhere on the net. Either run the rigging between the strip and wing or as I do, run the rigging through the strip then through the wing.
I call this my recycled jenny. I bought the plane used, the motor is salvaged from a CD drive, the batteries are from cell phones picked up at the recycling center, receiver and servos are both used from other planes. I am changing the controls to pull-pull.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rigging.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	46977  
Old 11-16-2007, 02:52 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Hey Dave,

How do you like the servo arm EZ connectors? I've always thought they looked good but I've never tried them.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:42 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

You can modify that battery into a 2 cell. So instead of having two 3 cell 850 mah batteries, you could have three 2 cells with a little safe modification if your capable.

I dont see a 3 cell fitting very easily, I have a 2 cell 800mah that will just fit.
Hi Dave I just wanted to say, That your work bench is to neet, mess it up a little, ok what kind of beer are you drinking, It does not look like a Miller Lite to me Bush maybe ? Take care, Chellie
Old 11-16-2007, 05:00 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by degreen60 View Post
One thing I discovered is that once you attach the wings and the wing rigging, you cannot take the wing off unless you want to completely destroy the wing rigging. Therefore the reciever needs to be set up 100% before the wings are attached.

Don't attach the rigging as shown in the manual. Run a thin strip of plastic(I use litter bottle) to attach. Tip I found somewhere on the net. Either run the rigging between the strip and wing or as I do, run the rigging through the strip then through the wing.
I call this my recycled jenny. I bought the plane used, the motor is salvaged from a CD drive, the batteries are from cell phones picked up at the recycling center, receiver and servos are both used from other planes. I am changing the controls to pull-pull.
Thats a good idea. I've been running ideas thru my head and havent come up with anything. I'm going to do that, thanks for sharing!

I noticed your cowl is different than the one I got, mine doesnt have a screen mesh like yours.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:02 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Hey Dave,

How do you like the servo arm EZ connectors? I've always thought they looked good but I've never tried them.
They work good for this application. I dont dare use them on anything big....my AP plane uses Z bends as do my glow planes (sorry for swearing)

I wouldnt use them on your warbirds, unless for a last resort.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:05 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi Dave I just wanted to say, That your work bench is to neet, mess it up a little, ok what kind of beer are you drinking, It does not look like a Miller Lite to me Bush maybe ? Take care, Chellie
those beers are for sissies

Icehouse is what I drink, not sure if its available on the west coast.

I'll buy a box of wine now and then.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:25 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

pretty good review here with a 25 meg video

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698747
Old 11-16-2007, 05:36 AM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Thats a good idea. I've been running ideas thru my head and havent come up with anything. I'm going to do that, thanks for sharing!

I noticed your cowl is different than the one I got, mine doesnt have a screen mesh like yours.
I didn't like the front of the cowl it had a big hole cut in it. I took it out and installed nylon screen.

A neat work bench is a sign of a sick mind.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Hey Dave,

Tom.... I use alot of those....On all my planes (even glow powered combat planes).....just make sure they are real tight, and check them periodically....a drop of thin CA in the screw threads really locks them in place permanently if you have any concerns of loosening.....
Old 11-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

They work good for this application. I dont dare use them on anything big....my AP plane uses Z bends as do my glow planes (sorry for swearing)

I wouldnt use them on your warbirds, unless for a last resort.
Thanks Dave

Originally Posted by Biplane Murphy View Post
Tom.... I use alot of those....On all my planes (even glow powered combat planes).....just make sure they are real tight, and check them periodically....a drop of thin CA in the screw threads really locks them in place permanently if you have any concerns of loosening.....
Thanks Murph. Do they come in different sizes? Is there any place in particular you get them? You can PM me so we don't hijack Dave's thread.

Quick Reply: Eflite Jenny Put-together-thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15016 seconds with 12 queries