E-Flite Diamante 25e - Page 5 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Pattern aircraft Discuss electric powered pattern aircraft in here

E-Flite Diamante 25e

Old 03-02-2010, 03:01 AM
*rider
Always Fixing Something

Interesting concept, I'm sure it would work as long as the alignment between the servos and control horns / linkages are spot-on. I think they put the servos back there with the short pushrods to maximize torque and minimize loss.

Last edited by *rider; 03-02-2010 at 03:01 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 03-02-2010, 04:54 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Here's a little video of how she flys on that Power 25 with the 5 cell battery. You can really hear the motor bearings groaning under those extra RPMs. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc-tTTMIYTo[/media] I tried a 3000ma 25c 4 cell li-po this past weekend and it was lighter and only slightly less speedie.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:31 AM
Dave E

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
Here's a little video of how she flys on that Power 25 with the 5 cell battery. You can really hear the motor bearings groaning under those extra RPMs. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc-tTTMIYTo[/media] I tried a 3000ma 25c 4 cell li-po this past weekend and it was lighter and only slightly less speedie.

Wow, looks great on 5S. What kind of flight times are you getting?

Interesting concept, I'm sure it would work as long as the alignment between the servos and control horns / linkages are spot-on. I think they put the servos back there with the short pushrods to maximize torque and minimize loss.
Yup

I picked up the goodies to make up some C/F pushrods. Should be just fine. There are already cutouts in the fuselage tray that will work for the servos I have. Getting everything lined up will be pretty easy too.

Gotta get that Toledo Special finished up and get on the Diamante!!!
Old 03-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

I get 2- 6 min. flights on a charge . Cuz I'm happy flying along at 1/3rd throttle and only going full throttle for verticle. My flying buddie ( who was flying in the video ) keeps the coals on it and gets 6 or 7 min. with lots of reserve. We haven't reached L V C yet.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:32 AM
Dave E

Not bad at all.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:39 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Club member with a good camera got some good shots of it today.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

And this one. It does like verticle manuvers.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:08 AM
Dave E

Nice shooting with the camera. Looks great, doesn't it?

You're making me really want to get to work on mine. Almost finished with my current project so maybe next weekend.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Dave I just noticed you are a member of a " Jet club" come over and join our club thread here on Wattflyer here's some shots of my new Mig 29 . http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...postcount=9715 If you post at our thread you become a member.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:25 AM
Dave E

Originally Posted by Alpea42 View Post
Dave I just noticed you are a member of a " Jet club" come over and join our club thread here on Wattflyer here's some shots of my new Mig 29 . http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...postcount=9715 If you post at our thread you become a member.
Nice Mig! Which kit is it?

Thanks for the offer and I'm very interested. Mind posting a link to that thread?

I'm interrested in getting into EDFs and have a PZ Habu ready for it's turn on the table. Picking up some pacs for it and the Diamante tommorrow. Planning on a Sapac L-39 soon too.

Dave
Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

Thats the HC Mig 29 it's a twin 55mm EDF but I did it as a pusher this is the link to the last page of our thread http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...35751&page=390
Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Dave E

Thanks! Got a lot of reading to do, but it looks like good stuff. Subscribed to the thread
Old 04-06-2010, 02:51 AM
Dave E

Well, I finally had a chance to get to the Diamante.

First of all, I couldn't make the internal servos for the tail work without bending the pushrods. The fuse was just too narrow to get away with that, so they're on the outside.

For the gear reinforcement I cut out the lower section of the front fromer and glued in a 1/8" ply vertical brace, then glued the section back in. Pics will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. The two piece gear with only two screws on each half is just asking for trouble too so I made a joiner plate from .060 aluminum, laminated it with 1/64" ply and covered it with Ultracote. Should add a good bit of strength.

Looks like I got one made right after the Chinese new year too. When I went to install the stab I noticed something just wasn't lining up right. A quick check showed that there was more than 3/4" difference in measurements between left and right when measured wingtip to the end of the fuselage. ( The wing was otherwise centered on the fuselage BTW ). With the dowels already glued in all I could do was to file the hole for the rear mounting bolt enough to get things lined up close. When It was close as it was gonna get I drilled a second hole through the wing and rear mount plate and glued in an aluminum alignment pin. It's not perfect, but it's as close as I could get it.

At this point, abouit all that's left is the power system install and a bit of cosmetic work.

I'll post pics when it's finished if anyone's interested.

Later,

Dave

P.S. It looks like the Diamante has been dropped. A search of Horizon's site showed nothing listed, and E-Flite's showed parts only.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0679.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	124851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	124852   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0706.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	124853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0689.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	124854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	124855  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	124856   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	124857  
Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I've got one of these "new in the box" that I'll have for sale at SEFF if anyone is interested.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:43 PM
rob_campbell

Default Wow! Great plane!

Hey folks,
Still getting some good flights in on the Diamantes? I recently bought one off of craigslist that was built but never flown (Power 32, Castle Phoenix 60).

Last night I had the maiden flights and it went great. I had the throws set close to what the manual said, but dialed back the low rates even further. I am using a 4S 4900mAh Rhino batt for power, and running a 13x6.5 prop. Had to put a couple small lead weights on the tail to get the CG spot on. Right off, the thing tracked straight as an arrow and was the best trimmed maiden flight I have ever had. The vertical power on 4S is really impressive, and the roll rate is really snappy on high rates. First flights were conservative at around 8 minutes, but I ran full throttle on the ground after for an extra 2 minutes.

This is my first electric plane, coming from 40 size nitros. Wanted to have something quick and easy to set up and not cleanup after for lunchtime flying. Have to say I am very glad I bought this bird. Flies great! Just need to do some LG mod like I have seen here, as even after 6 or 7 fairly smooth landings, the screws were starting to pull out a little on one side.

Thanks for all the great discussion here, and I am looking forward to getting a lot of flying on this birdie.

-Rob
Old 06-14-2010, 09:55 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hi Rob, Welcome to Wattflyer! That's great that she flew so well for you. That is always a good feeling to have a maiden go so well.

One tip on Electrics. It's not good to run them wide open sitting on the ground like that. You can really heat up you electronics. specifically the ESC, due to the limited airflow they are getting.

Anyway, congrats on the maiden, you've got a fine bird there for sure.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:09 PM
Eplane65

Originally Posted by rob_campbell View Post
Hey folks,
Still getting some good flights in on the Diamantes? I recently bought one off of craigslist that was built but never flown (Power 32, Castle Phoenix 60).

Last night I had the maiden flights and it went great. I had the throws set close to what the manual said, but dialed back the low rates even further. I am using a 4S 4900mAh Rhino batt for power, and running a 13x6.5 prop. Had to put a couple small lead weights on the tail to get the CG spot on. Right off, the thing tracked straight as an arrow and was the best trimmed maiden flight I have ever had. The vertical power on 4S is really impressive, and the roll rate is really snappy on high rates. First flights were conservative at around 8 minutes, but I ran full throttle on the ground after for an extra 2 minutes.

This is my first electric plane, coming from 40 size nitros. Wanted to have something quick and easy to set up and not cleanup after for lunchtime flying. Have to say I am very glad I bought this bird. Flies great! Just need to do some LG mod like I have seen here, as even after 6 or 7 fairly smooth landings, the screws were starting to pull out a little on one side.

Thanks for all the great discussion here, and I am looking forward to getting a lot of flying on this birdie.

-Rob
Mine had essentially the same setup except I had an AXI motor and a Phoenix 45 ESC with a 4 cell 3850 mah battery. My flight experience is the same. This plane at full throttle was fast to say the least, but I flew mostly pattern at 1/2 throttle. The last time I flew it, I was racing a guy with a ducted fan(and beating him, by the way), but then I lost it. It went to a slow inverted flat spin and would not respond to the controls. When it hit the ground the battery caught fire.

After evaluating the post crash event, I determined that I probably should have had a larger ESC and provided more cooling to it. I had the ESC sandwiched between the battery and the side of the fuse-my bad! I think the first thing that happened was that the ESC fried itself. Let that be fair warning-keep your ESC cool!
Old 06-15-2010, 06:40 AM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

45A esc on a 25 or 32 powered plane on 4 cells is not enough. I was running 5 cells on my power 25 , then the bearings went out and I sent it in to Horizon and they replaced it.