E-Flite Mini Pulse XT - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

E-Flite Mini Pulse XT

Old 04-24-2007, 07:42 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Update: I managed to get a few minutes of low wind, just enough to launch, do a few laps and land. I did one "terror run" across the field. This thing is FAST! At least it seem like it to me. Certainly way faster than it was with the 450. Can't wait to try a bigger prop! I think I'm going power crazy.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:03 AM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Well, it flies a lot faster.

It died a lot faster too!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Originally Posted by gsk11740 View Post
Well, it flies a lot faster.

It died a lot faster too!
What happened!!!!!???
Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 AM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Well, it's like this....

It's kind of ironic but the crash had nothing to do with the 480. It was flying great. I was having a blast doing high speed runs across the field. I slowed down and was getting ready to land. I was turning to final down by the end of the field and I was probably too low and too slow. It looked like it stalled and started to spin but I couldn't see it well enough to figure out which way it was pointing. I really need new glasses by the way! Anyway, it disappeared behind a hill and must have cartwheeled pretty good judging by the looks of it and the damage I saw when I finally got to it. There were little pieces of balsa from the fuse everywhere.

Strangely, the wing and the tail were undamaged. All the electronics survived too. Get a new fuse and I'm back in the air. I thought I might be able to fix the fuse but it was too busted up with too many pieces missing.

Anyone know where I can get a Mini Pulse fuse, other than "We're always backordered" Horizon?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:07 AM
ORD2FRA

Anyone know where I can get a Mini Pulse fuse, other than "We're always backordered" Horizon?
Try this:
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...e_pulse_parts/
Old 04-25-2007, 02:26 AM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by ORD2FRA View Post
Thanks!

They want $40 for a new fuse? Ouch! I think the Mini Pulse might have to stay broken for a little while.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:19 AM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Thanks!

They want $40 for a new fuse? Ouch! I think the Mini Pulse might have to stay broken for a little while.
How about giving a try at repairing the fuse? Sometimes its not as hard as it looks. Plus you can save that 40 bucks for other goodies A few months back I repaired the wing on my MUS after seeing how much a replacement cost. I picked up some building skills and got to try a "custom" covering job on the new/repaired wing. Also got to fix the fuse before switching to nylon bolts. So far no repairs needed on the MPXT...(knock wood)
Old 05-02-2007, 02:14 AM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

I already fixed the Mini Pulse. Flew it this morning for a little bit.

I apparently was having some problem with either the ESC or the receiver cutting out (or so it seemed), resulting in total loss of control. It happen again after I fixed it but I lucked out and didn't crash it that time. I relocated the Rx father away from the motor and ESC and flew it again today. I kept the speed down and kept it close in and it did Ok. Just not sure I can trust it yet.
Old 05-02-2007, 03:57 AM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

I apparently was having some problem with either the ESC or the receiver cutting out (or so it seemed), resulting in total loss of control.
How is your airflow over your ESC? I'm not reallly happy with mine on the MPXT. Luckily I have not had any problems. I'm trying to figure out a way to cure this before it becomes an issue. So far I have about a dozen or so flights on it of around 10 minutes duration ( I avoid flying to the LVC) My ESC doesnt get too hot , but I would feel much better if there was more air flowing over it
Old 05-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

What I have done with several of my planes was to use a dremel tool to cut an air scoop in the cowling right behind the prop. Then on the bottom of the fuselage, just behind the wing area (ala MUS) I cut away the covering (and some balsa if necessary).

That gives me plenty of air moving over my esc and battery.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:27 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Default ESC airflow

Thanks Solidhit, I'm going to fire up the dremel. I knew eventually it might come to that , I just didn't want to cut into my brand new plane
Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by newjak View Post
How is your airflow over your ESC? I'm not reallly happy with mine on the MPXT. Luckily I have not had any problems. I'm trying to figure out a way to cure this before it becomes an issue. So far I have about a dozen or so flights on it of around 10 minutes duration ( I avoid flying to the LVC) My ESC doesnt get too hot , but I would feel much better if there was more air flowing over it
Airflow is Ok. I have the ESC mounted below the battery tray right behind the firewall. It should be getting good air there. I bench tested the plane and even at full throttle for a good 15-20 seconds the ESC hardly got warm. It didn't cut out either. I also range tested it on the "bench" (barstool ) while the motor was running and got a good 150 ft away with the bind button pressed and still had control.

I think this might be a radio issue but I can't figure out what is happening. All 3 of my planes failed the range check in the field. I couldn't get 20 paces away and they stopped responding to controls. In front of my house, the range (with the bind button pressed) was way over 100 yards. The Mini Pulse actually scored the best range! I did see my Husky "twitching", for a lack of a better descriptive word, while I was flying it around the field the other day. I thought it looked like radio glitches but kept telling myself that can't happen with 2.4 ghz. After some of the stories I heard from SEFF, I'm not so sure anymore.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:09 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

Hello guys, just got back from a full day of flying my mini pulse!! Right now I have about 25 flights on it and I still can't get used to the "floatiness" This thing wants to go on and on forever even dead stick!. I tried moving my battery all of the way forward to make it a bit nose heavy in hopes of tuning down the float but to no avail. I have a DX6 and I will experiment with flaperons or spoilerons to see if that will help. Also I have been having a run of bad luck with my gear snapping off with the nylon bolts. I managed to strip 2 servos this weeek after flopping onto the ground when the nylon bolts broke away. Anybody have luck rebuilding the Eflite S75 servos?? I should have known better and outfitted it with HS-55's oh well live and learn.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:59 PM
ORD2FRA

I think this might be a radio issue but I can't figure out what is happening. All 3 of my planes failed the range check in the field. I couldn't get 20 paces away and they stopped responding to controls. In front of my house, the range (with the bind button pressed) was way over 100 yards. The Mini Pulse actually scored the best range! I did see my Husky "twitching", for a lack of a better descriptive word, while I was flying it around the field the other day. I thought it looked like radio glitches but kept telling myself that can't happen with 2.4 ghz.
I'm assuming the Tx battery is charged and putting out ~11 volts?

After some of the stories I heard from SEFF, I'm not so sure anymore.
Really? Have a link? Didn't know SEFF pilots were getting interference.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:44 AM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

I'm assuming the Tx battery is charged and putting out ~11 volts?
12.3 volts. (I have a Li-Po and the regulator upgrade)

Really? Have a link? Didn't know SEFF pilots were getting interference.
They were talking about it in some of the SEFF threads on this forum. Some of the discussion was in the Friday Update. FiremanBill lost his airliner down there, possibly from radio problems with his DX6.

I flew the Mini Pulse a few times today and a couple of times yesterday. I had no problems at all, even after a few full throttle blasts. I have no idea what was going on the other day. The range tests still aren't good in the field but the planes seem to fly Ok so I'm at a loss to figure it out. I guess all I can do is wait until it happens again and hope I have some tall grass to land in.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 AM
ORD2FRA

After 10 or 12 flights, I am really loving this airplane. I have the Park 450 (NOT all-in-one, a regular 4mm shaft). This thing is fast with a 10x7E prop, and can almost do vertical with a fresh pack.

Radio is a DX-6 with HS-55 servos.

• I have my throws set at A55/90%, E60/85% (low rate/high rate). Every two flights I bump the high rates up another 5%, although I am happy where they are now.

• Mixing rudder and aileron: for takeoff and landing I mix ailerons with 60% rudder. I find it tracks better on final and leaves your left thumb for steering and throttle. I turn this on and off with the gear toggle.

• Flaps. I have flaps at 55%, and it has a beautiful glide. It's set to have an almost hands-off approach, just blip the throttle if the descent gets too quick. I use flaps to get off the ground quicker, and a slower landing speed since the field needs to be mowed and the Mini-Pulse's wheels are too small.

Inverted flight is possible and I've been getting better at it. Snap rolls are my new thing and this thing can take a real beating. I hesitate on pulling out of high-G maneuvers with high rates on, I think I'll break the horiz stab! So for vertical pull-outs I'll use low rates and a gentle round out. It looks more polished anyway!

I have a MUS waiting for me when the Pulse gets to be old, but right now it is a great airplane and I really enjoy flying it.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:47 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I'm thinking about the MPXT as my 2nd plan after a super cub, Does it come with the 450 motor or not? I see horizon also hase the Mini Edge with a 480 motor for 10 LESS than the MPXT.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:46 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

I have a MUS waiting for me when the Pulse gets to be old, but right now it is a great airplane and I really enjoy flying it.
When the Pulse gets "old", stuff a 480 in it like I did and also fly the MUS. They're both great planes.

Originally Posted by constantCrash View Post
I'm thinking about the MPXT as my 2nd plan after a super cub, Does it come with the 450 motor or not? I see horizon also hase the Mini Edge with a 480 motor for 10 LESS than the MPXT.

Thanks.
The MP comes with a 450 if you get the "PNP" version. It's a slightly different 450 though with a smaller shaft size (3mm vs 4mm). I've heard people say the PNP 450 doesn't have as much power as the "normal" 450 but I have both and haven't noticed any real difference.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:50 AM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

When the Pulse gets "old", stuff a 480 in it like I did and also fly the MUS.
Here's what a Pulse looks like with a 480 stuffed under the cowling.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rawC-C9JMWA

They're both great planes.
We are also flying the Mini Ultra Sticks with the 480 and they are just insane little planes. We are getting ready to toy around with 4 cell, 14.8 volt packs, but we will probably blow up a plane or two from the stress. it might not be such a good idea, but we like them to go fast.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
We are also flying the Mini Ultra Sticks with the 480 and they are just insane little planes. We are getting ready to toy around with 4 cell, 14.8 volt packs, but we will probably blow up a plane or two from the stress. it might not be such a good idea, but we like them to go fast.
I just put a "480 equivalent" in my MUS last night. I guess "insane" would be the best word for it! I'm surprised I didn't tear a wing off!

...and you want to put a 14.8 pack in one?

Doc, I like your way of thinking!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

You ought to see the Ultra Stick 25E got with a Power 32 and 14.8 extreme pack. I'm used to it now, but the first few flights I was scared of the thing. It accelerates so fast that I could barely hang onto it!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:36 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
You ought to see the Ultra Stick 25E got with a Power 32 and 14.8 extreme pack. I'm used to it now, but the first few flights I was scared of the thing. It accelerates so fast that I could barely hang onto it!
If I didn't have so many planes sitting in the closet waiting for me to build, I'd try that. Sounds like fun. I think I'm starting to go power crazy.

I still like my "putzy" little Cubs though. Sometimes ya just gotta slow down and enjoy the scenery!

By the way, you really need to post some videos of some of your "screamers". I've seen the MP with the 480 but I'd really like to see that MUS 25e!
Old 05-11-2007, 03:42 PM
Doc Austin
Team Extreme Flight

By the way, you really need to post some videos of some of your "screamers". I've seen the MP with the 480 but I'd really like to see that MUS 25e!
We don't have any 4 cell 25E video yet, but here's video of the 3 cell pack.....................

http://largoflyingclub.com/app06/stick.wmv
Old 05-11-2007, 05:28 PM
gsk11740
I'm outta here!

Impressive! Was that you flying the MUS 25e? I think I can fly pretty good for having only flown 4 channel for a few months but I have a loooong way to go before I get that good (If I ever get that good). Can't wait to see that with a 4s in it. Seemed pretty quick now.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:18 PM
newjak
AMA Park Pilot Partner

I just put a "480 equivalent" in my MUS last night. I guess "insane" would be the best word for it! I'm surprised I didn't tear a wing off!

...and you want to put a 14.8 pack in one?

Doc, I like your way of thinking!
Which 480 equivalent motor are you refering to? I have a 450 in mine now and I'm looking to up the power a bit.

Quick Reply: E-Flite Mini Pulse XT

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14061 seconds with 10 queries