Crash and Safety Forum Punch something in lately? Have safety suggestions? Tell the story, share safety tips, and show the pictures here.

OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Old 08-22-2015, 04:26 PM
thosmosis

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
here's the video (you only need the 'THJHraePHYA' part of the URL when you create the youtube link):

You couldn't have hit that thing more dead centre, that's top precision flying!
Ha! So true Jetplane. My friend kept muttering "pole... Pole..."

What the heck does he keep saying that for??? I am way over that huge... Uh...
Old 08-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Even at that you are lucky, a few inches higher and it might have jammed into the framework around the lights..

So far, in my flying, I have hit 2 light poles. I think they jump out at airplanes.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:02 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Old 08-25-2015, 04:25 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Ummm, is that fuzzy thing with horns a rarely seen gremlin, removing the battery from your plane in-flight?
Old 08-26-2015, 01:05 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

No - he's the pilot.

And he was as surprised as anyone when that happened.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:59 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
No - he's the pilot.

And he was as surprised as anyone when that happened.
Well, hope the aftermath wasn't too bad.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

The RC Gods were no looking down at me favorably today. Crashed and totaled my Phoenix Model EMB-312 Tucano. Took off fine as usual with a nice climb out. Then as I started to apply left aileron, it started banking slightly to the right over the road and to the soccer field across the street. Then no stick response at all. Chopped throttle and she went in nose first from about 60 ft agl. Complete destruction and this plane is built like a brick outhouse. Oh the agony, the humanity. Hated to lose the Admiral 6S.

Later flew my little foam JPowers 20'WS PC-21. Usually uneventful but on the second flight I decided to load in a 30C 1300mah 4S to see how she would respond. Basically same thing. She got behind our tree line and I watched her float down, wings level in a nice decent. No sticks again. Could not find her.

Double whammy of a day.

-Hawk
Old 08-27-2015, 02:08 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
The RC Gods were no looking down at me favorably today. Crashed and totaled my Phoenix Model EMB-312 Tucano. Took off fine as usual with a nice climb out. Then as I started to apply left aileron, it started banking slightly to the right over the road and to the soccer field across the street. Then no stick response at all. Chopped throttle and she went in nose first from about 60 ft agl. Complete destruction and this plane is built like a brick outhouse. Oh the agony, the humanity. Hated to lose the Admiral 6S.

Later flew my little foam JPowers 20'WS PC-21. Usually uneventful but on the second flight I decided to load in a 30C 1300mah 4S to see how she would respond. Basically same thing. She got behind our tree line and I watched her float down, wings level in a nice decent. No sticks again. Could not find her.

Double whammy of a day.

-Hawk
OUCH Oh da pain Sorry to read that Hawk
Old 08-27-2015, 05:50 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Sorry to hear that Hawk. 2 planes lost signal? Do you suspect your tx or something else? That would be troubling.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:26 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear Hawk ...

Nigel
Old 08-27-2015, 07:49 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

X & Nigel,

Appreciate the condolences.

Not really sure what really happened. The ambient temp was 98 deg F. Lemon rx in the Tucano. Knock off rx in the little PC-21. Never had a problem with the Lemons before. Without a separate UBEC, I wonder if the esc shutdown rendering everything useless. It is an 80 amp esc and I had loaded in a 6S 30C 4000mah Admiral. The Phoenix Tucano is a well built heavy duty plane. It crashed with tremendous force obliterating the airframe in a thousand small, pieces of balsa.

I probably should not have tried a 4S 30C lipo in the little PC-21 as it only had a 40amp esc. Was marginal at best. I had flown it earlier on 3S without incident but wanted to see if I could push the envelope. But I never had time to give her full throttle.

Oh well, might go back to the field today to look for the PC-21. Last I saw it was in a slow wings level decent and disappeared behind our tree line along a road. On the other side of the road is another treeline and lots of high, snake infested scrub.

Losing any and all stick input was disconcerning to say the least.

I performed preflight control surface checks on both planes.

-Hawk
Old 08-27-2015, 07:54 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I don't like snakes !

Nigel
Old 08-28-2015, 01:58 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Nigel,

Me too. We have copperheads and water moccasins not to mention Lyme disease carrying deer ticks. Goes along with living in Texas. When I head into the high brush, I bring my sand iron with me. LOL

After further review of the Tucano crash I believe the reason she went down was in fact due to a failed RX. Tried to rebind it to my Piper Cherokee this morning and it won't flash. Yikes !

Hawk
Old 08-28-2015, 03:03 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Since demise of Soviet Union ... spraying for Ticks has stopped ... so we have to be careful in grass / scrub over 4" high ... the ticks lay in wait for passers by ... animal or human.

Encephalitis is the common result here if the Tick 'regurgitates' when you try to remove it ... it's why its so important to get nails / pincers UNDER the body to remove it.

We are required by law here to cut our scrub / grass on land wholly owned privately ...

Nigel
Old 08-29-2015, 05:54 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Video from Tuesday's crash.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:17 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Bummer! I'm absolutely amazed how she stayed in the orientation after the 'incident'. What are the odds? Hope it's not too hard to fix.

Oh, and I need to see some more of your new pilot. Hippie-Horse has competition for my favorite one.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:03 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

If I could just get him to fly it one time and bring it back in one piece.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:30 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

sbach went in hard today....she was absolutely beautifully flying aerobatics and when i was making simple turns around 30ft off the ground she went straight in. the field was crowed with fellow pilots watching and at the time I was the only one flying. everyone who knows my flying and watched what happened say mech failure. I was done doing stunts and was simply flying low but not slow.

what I think may have happened is I foolishly used these adjustable control arms that come with hitec 485standard servos on the ailerons. one is broken and is on the wing half not damaged in the crash,but that could have been caused by the crash. anyway......those are the breaks we all expect. to bad i only got around 15 flights on the sbach.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1944.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	622.8 KB
ID:	181616   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1950.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	557.1 KB
ID:	181617  
Old 08-30-2015, 05:28 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club party at airfield this weekend .... so after a few beers ... tried flying the Hummer ...............

Think I need a new one !! First it landed on the Hangar roof ... then it snapped the prop adaptor ... then it snapped the fuselage behind the motor mount !!

Before anyone comments on the 'beer' .... I actually have a rule that I do not fly if I have more than one beer. Yesterday though was on a quiet airfield, bunch of us threw EPP's in the air ... part of the party ....

Silly billy !!

Nigel
Old 08-30-2015, 08:29 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

pictures of the carnage....also the stupid servo arm I was using. what a dope to be using that on the 3d ailerons of the sbach. never again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2225.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	181626   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2228.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	546.1 KB
ID:	181627   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2229.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	538.3 KB
ID:	181628   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2226.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	181629   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2227.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	510.5 KB
ID:	181630  

Old 08-30-2015, 09:01 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

That's a bad one, sorry to see it.

Hard to say if the arm failure pre or during the crash, but it does look very lightweight for a 3D model with big control surfaces.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:04 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

Holy craparoozy! That is a bad one. I see what you mean by the servo arms. I think those are for yachties for adjusting sails etc, not for airplanes.
Old German saying... We grow too soon old, and too late wise....
Old 08-31-2015, 08:06 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Hi Stu..... sad to see the bits.

If the wings are still good ... I'd be inclined to scratch up an own design fuselage or as you know ---- I'd be tacking her back together again to see if possible to rebuild.

Does HK do a replacement fuselage ?

Nigel
Old 08-31-2015, 11:04 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Nigel,

only one wing unscathed,other wing has the leading edge busted up and would need the underside covering removed to repair. the canopy and fuse replacement parts with shipping cost almost as much as the whole plane which is $185 shipped. thats a great price and worth every penny. I was very happy with the quality and the covering was very good. a rebuild at this point wouldn't perform the same so I won't be attempting it this time.
I won't replace the sbach this year and still have the hummer,extra 260[32"ws],and the 50" great planes edge 540t to do aerobatics radically. my focus mostly is to gain better control of the 250 fpv quads and I just ordered the loc8tor for finding downed quads in tall grass.

then theres also the other hanger queens that need to get fresh air time.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:05 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Sorry to read the list Stu. But you know me - it would needle me to not do something with it all.

Anyway ... my Hummer even by my standards is disgusting ! Yes I could rip out the hot-glue ... line her up ... glue it and put her back in the air ... but to be honest its better to keep her as parts for a new one. Now that I know the model better - means I can give its replacement a kinder life. There's also a few tweaks / mods that come to mind.
New one ordered and should be here next few days.

As to Hangar Queens .... I have a few of those that rarely see light of day .... Some just have characters that make flying a little uncomfortable .... the Cub has a very hit or miss takeoff ... the Mig3 bites when slowed to land, the Pitts has a typical temperamental Irvine engine, Twister is just crap ! , F16 is just too much for a 70mm fan ....

But my new Zlin .... now that's a real peach.

Nigel

Quick Reply: OK Who Crashed today ? Besides me :)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12080 seconds with 20 queries