Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

It seems not many build anymore

Old 09-06-2010, 06:15 PM
KeninAZ

Default It seems not many build anymore

I am well aware that we have become a "plug and play" world and that many throw things away today that could be fixed and/or it's just not worth fixing.
I started in RC many years ago, around 34 to be exact. At that time it was very common to build from plans or more so from kits.
Now ARFs and RTFs seem the way for many. I have already noted that some ARFs required much more work than others.
I am just gearing back up for a kit build again and I have had to learn many of the new ways of doing things. Where was CA and Monokote all those years ago!
I guess with my previous experience that I just considered building and experimenting just part of this hobby. But like many hobbies I guess we have evolved.
I am planning on building over the fall winter and will most likely do a couple of kits converting them to electric. I would really like to try a Beaver, maybe a float plane, and a big Telemaster from Sig. I saw a pix of one of the 96" wingspans done with the clear yellow covering in a mag that looked very interesting. I am not sure what kind of power I am going to have to use on that big one.
Do you build anymore? Somebody has to as there are kits on the market. The only builders I seem to run into are old timers now.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:30 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Yeah.. it's a shame not many people build anymore, it seems to be a dying part of the hobby.

Most of the 'build' threads you see these days are IMHO more correctly 'assembly' threads. I can see the appeal, in fact i've recently picked up an ARTF of my own. I think that it's actually cheaper to do ARTF than to buy a kit plus all the extras you need to complete.

It's still still dissapointed that 'proper building' is becoming a lost art. There is just so much satisfaction to be had from building a model from a pile of balsa sheet and sticks then seeing your creation take to the air. Instant gratification seems to be the goal these days.

Just showing my age i guess

Steve
Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I enjoy building myself so far since intering this hobby I have built three kits and I have one waitng to be finished. On thing I have found is building from kits costs more than buying a ARF balsa kit. The arf is covered all ready and just needs some mods well some mods more than otheres. Throw in your motor esc and servos. Add a RX, and a battery and you can be flying.
For me I will have a build going no matter what. I have 3 kits waiting to be built and a ARF p-38 that will be going together next not to mention a foam plane that I just finished for AP/AV.
So building for me is a big part of the hobby especialy during the months coming up. Lots of builders here and good ones at that by the way don't let the gramps fool ya I am a young 49 year old gramps.
John
Old 09-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

There's a whole new breed of builders out there that are do'in really great stuff, most my building latey has been big & med, sized ARF's that are brought to me to fix in a shoebox, My 40+ years building has come in handy for some of those compacted planes, in lean times I'll scatch build off a coffee table something to fly, some of my best efforts came from next to nothing in those times,,,,
"if the mother of invention is nessesity,
Mother was named after a RC plane builder"
good thread here my bub! bubsteve
Old 09-06-2010, 06:47 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

I love building. Especially in the winter. Nothing like building during a nice snow shower with a cup of hot coca.

I"m in the middle of building a Dare Hobby Spirit of St.Louis, and I've got a Herr Cub 1/2A kit en-route. I'm planning on converting it to electric, adding skis and building it with LED's in the frame work. I can't wait.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:06 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi
I still build scratch, from plans, kits in foam balsa etc as well though i do have trouble finding time
Heres a few on the board for the future
Take care
Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:09 PM
KeninAZ

Yes I will agree that the ARFs are cheaper in many cases than building the kits. I have already observed that on re entry into this hobby.
Still, it seems that some on the younger generation are missing something here.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:11 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by KeninAZ View Post
Yes I will agree that the ARFs are cheaper in many cases than building the kits. I have already observed that on re entry into this hobby.
Still, it seems that some on the younger generation are missing something here.
A lot of the younger generation isn't even into RC. Most of my friends would rather sit on the computer or play video games.

Their loss.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 PM
KeninAZ

On the other hand, crashing in a video game or hitting the reset button on a simulator does not cost as much as the real thing.

I am just getting involved with a club that flies at a field that is located on an Embry Riddle Campus here locally. It's very interesting to have the students get involved with the club and learn some of what they know and learn there.
Some of those kids have been bitten by the flying bug since they were little and been involved with RC and building for years.
I just met a new one that came down from Alaska to attend classes on the campus and when he found out our club had a field there he was there the first day he arrived.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:50 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Talking of building... Can you guess what it is yet?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010725.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	134926  
Old 09-06-2010, 08:00 PM
KeninAZ

Not a clue but I like the looks of it.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

It's alot of time and effort!!Nice one jet!
here's some something from nothing hard times planes,bubsteve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_217.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	134928   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_220.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	134929   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_296.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	134930   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes_748.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	134931   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes_793.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	134932  

Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_075.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	134933   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty%20an%20red%20538.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	134934   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty%20an%20red%20771.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	134935   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_342.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	134936   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty_an_red_765.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	134937  

Old 09-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

I've had a couple of Hobbyzone/Parkzone planes. Those are good for getting your feet wet before investing too much. Now I build all of my planes. Both kit and plan builds. Like others have said, the winter is the time for building. Summer for flying and fixing.

I do wish I could find a kit for a med sized (45-50 in) sport/pattern plane that didn't cost too much. That's what I want to build this winter, but the ARFs are cheaper and are 75% complete. Kits are getting hard to find. I need to go back to the Scratch and Kit Build stickies and see who else sells kits.

Steve
Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Stevepoon: this is one of my Faves! bubsteve
House of Balsa Store K-22 Spacewalker .10 HOB Store Back To Plane Spacewalker .10
Schoolyard Scale® - Laser Cut
Laser Cut

FEATURES
All balsa and plywood construction
Photo illustrated instruction book
Full size rolled CAD designed plans
Pre-formed aluminum landing gear
Laser cut inter-locking parts
DUBRO hardware included
SPECIFICATIONS
Wing span 47 in.
Fuselage length 28 1/4 in.
Wing area 329 sq. in.
Wt. with radio 28 oz.
Wing loading 12.25 oz./sq. ft.
2 ch. standard Kit K-22 Our Price $74.95
Old 09-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

bubsteve
Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 PM
eflight-ray

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Talking of building... Can you guess what it is yet?
Douglas AD-1 Skyraider ?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 PM
eflight-ray

I don't think RC model planes will ever die out, there will always be manufacturers looking for markets to sell in, whether as RTF, ARTF, or even kits.

I think kits have made a bit of a come back since CAD design and CNC cut kits make assembly so much easier, (jigsaw puzzles without the hassle).

The RTF, and ARTF manufacturers have to keep coming up with something new, as they know that many modelers can't resist new models.

For the scratch builder, Depron and the other sheet foams have made one enormous in-road into what was once exclusively the 'balsa basher' realm. The 'foamie' guys have become the innovators of simple model design, and have probably introduced more people to RC plane building than many of the conventional kit manufacturers.

There will always be some died in the 'balsa' wood, who will see foam as the death knell of modeling. Likewise the, 'electric will never replace my IC engines' fliers, many who still look down on anything that doesn't make plenty of noise.

Model flying is here to stay, (governments permitting). Thing will just keep slowly improving. Even the free flight guys still get plenty of builders and fliers turning up at open and competition days.

What may diminish though, (sorry to say this here), but some forums mays struggle to keep going as their postings wain while other forums seem to keep getting stronger.

It's not until you look at the number of specific type of model forum groups that you realize that modeling is still strong.

By the way, I've been building and flying for over 50 years now, (and still learning), have flown IC, electric, and rubber power, free flight, single channel to multi channel, gliders to multi motor, balsa to foam to ARTF.

I think there are only about another half a million models left on my 'one day I'll build one of those' list, , so my next 50 years of modeling should still keep me going. I hope
Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by eflight-ray View Post
Douglas AD-1 Skyraider ?
Give that man a coconut

Yes, it's a 30" span Skyraider designed for rubber power freeflight which i'm converting to an electric R/C parkflyer...

Steve
Old 09-06-2010, 10:09 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

The kit market is getting very small. Sad. I remember building my 1/4 scale Cub from Sig, man that was a big old box-o-sticks.

I must admit I too have slowed way down on kits/plans/scratch building. That instant gratification of having that bind and fly Wildcat gets me too. It was ready to fly in less than an hour.

I have built a few "foam" scratch builds and admit I have enjoyed that, and love the light flying results.

I bought the Radical RC micro stick at a swap meet for 15 bucks I need to get at it.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:12 PM
pd1
Still Learning

I still enjoy building my own. But I'm also guilty of buying an ARF or two, too.

It does seem there are a lot less forum threads that deal with building than with ARFs.

Paul
Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 PM
spitfire
Not the best

its very sad, but most people don't build anymore... I have been building with dad sense I was a toddler, and did nothing but glue my fingers together, up to today where I am scratch-building a plane of my own design.

there are still kits, and by golly are there PLANS! its a scratchbuilders dream to have the internet with all these plans you can just print out, tape together and start cuttin'!

there will always be scratchbuilders, because there will always be a place to buy balsa, and electronics... I don't even plan on using monokote anymore, I'll take a 1000' foot roll of doculam please and there never gonna stop making that stuff...

and there will always be kits, very few, but kits none the less... there are a few kits that are drool worthy right now...

like the sig lil' rascal kit, the telemaster, the mountain models P-51 kit (*gets a mop*), the house of balsa skywalker kit that steve posted... the daddy-o

see? there are a good bit of kits... you just gotta search far and wide for 'em.

I do feel like I am somewhat responsible for keeping the scratch/kit building aspect of the build alive sense I am probably one of the youngest who actually does this. I hope I don't turn 60 and be the only guy who actually builds anything

not the biggest fan of foam, but its gotta be great fun to just throw a plane together and fly a little bit... I still like the durability of balsa, as well as the fact that it will last FOREVER...

Spit.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:58 PM
spitfire
Not the best

and its the same in the programming side of things, people just want a plug and play engine, that can make there game with a little javascript... nobody wants to get shoulders deep into C++/SDL/openGL... but there are the elitests, like this hobby, where if you don't do it from scratch, your pathetic...

now, I do love unity3D, its a great engine, all you need is a little javascript, and I am itching to use it! but I still want to make my own 3D engine...

and people say the same thing: "I would rather spend time actually making the game, rather than making the engine"

compare the too: "I would rather spend time actually flying the plane, rather than making it"

Spit.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:15 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Really? I see a lot of build threads. LipoPilot does some amazing things with foam and paper - a whole new kind of building, not at all like the balsa planes of old.

For myself, I am terrible with my hands. I have built the same birdhouse out of a carpentry for kids book three times, and have managed to screw it up all three times. I get a glow of accomplishment when I change a lightbulb.

For me, RTF is a godsend. I looked into R/C planes years ago, but lacked the manual skills required to build, maintain and repair them. I love that we live in a world that allows people like me to go out and fly.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 AM
spitfire
Not the best

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Really? I see a lot of build threads. LipoPilot does some amazing things with foam and paper - a whole new kind of building, not at all like the balsa planes of old.

For myself, I am terrible with my hands. I have built the same birdhouse out of a carpentry for kids book three times, and have managed to screw it up all three times. I get a glow of accomplishment when I change a lightbulb.

For me, RTF is a godsend. I looked into R/C planes years ago, but lacked the manual skills required to build, maintain and repair them. I love that we live in a world that allows people like me to go out and fly.
but the build thread to assembly thread ratio is low.

Spit.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:29 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I used to build kits, because that was about all there was back then, I remember using that amber glue that stunk or got you high in not enough ventalation was used LOL

And the only Dope i ever used was painted on tissue on my wings

This is a 3.5 oz glass jar of Pactra
Semi-Gloss Cub Yellow Colored Aero-Gloss Dope from Midwest.
The original hot fuel proof butyrate dope system which gives a durable,
fast-drying, lightweight and beautiful lacquer-type finish.

Last edited by CHELLIE; 09-07-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Quick Reply: It seems not many build anymore

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12349 seconds with 24 queries