Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Hobbico Red Hawk and Sky Fly - Anyone Flown These?

Old 04-22-2006, 01:27 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

If you use CA it must be Foam safe CA. Regular CA eats most foams.

Where is the wing broken? In the center?

Allign it and see if you can get it straight. You can use a good wing as an aid to aligning the bad one. Cover it with wax paper so you don't get glue on the good wing.

Now, see if you can get a few toothpicks to span the gap? They will be splints across the crack.

Remove the toothpicks and put plenty of glue on the halves holding the open pieces facing up. Insert the toothpicks. This will insure glue all the way down the toothpick and into the holes.

Let the glue soak in for about 15 minutes. Now apply glue again and join the two halves getting perfect allignment and making sure the wing is square and the tooth picks are not preventing the wing from aligning. Use that good wing as a base and a guide. You can even tape the repaired wing to the good wing. Use a couple of pieces of tape to hold the two halves together and to the good wing for alignment and position. Let it sit 24 hours to fully dry.

Pick it up and look it over. Be sure the glue is fully dried. If not, give it another 4-8 hours.

If it looks well aligned, put a piece of packing tape along the crack all the way around. This will help it stay joined.

Now take your 1/32 wood and cut a piece about 1" wide and long enough to span the break at least 3 inches on each side. This is to help the wing and the joint resist bending along the crack repair.

Tape the wood on with clear packing tape but don't tuck it tight around the wood. Create a smooth surface along the wing.

The alternative is to embed a dowel or carbon rod into the wing by slitting open the covering, fill it with glue then pressing the rod into the gap so that it is fully encased in the wing. Let it dry, then tape it over with packing tape.

Works for me.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:16 AM
gkb

Ed, thank you very much for the help. Now, with all the repairs to the damaged right wing, it will be heavier than the other side. Will this be a problem? Should I try to match the repairs to even the weight out or does it matter?
Old 04-22-2006, 04:03 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I always balance my wings after repairs. Just find the center point and lay it on your finger or the edge of a box and see if it has a clearly heavy side. Then add weight to the other side. It will effect how the plane flies.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:33 AM
gkb

Thanks Ed.
Old 04-22-2006, 01:55 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I REALLY want to hear about someone flying a Red Hawk!!!
Old 04-26-2006, 10:20 PM
CaseyHeer

Default SkyFly down!!!

Greeting-

I just purchased my SkyFly. I am happy to see other owners out there. I recently had my first flight and first major crash. The fuelselage broke and i had to buy a new one. I am having the worst time getting the antenna and fishing wire into the cockpit. What do I do?

Should I take the fuelselage off? Please help.

Casey

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
I always balance my wings after repairs. Just find the center point and lay it on your finger or the edge of a box and see if it has a clearly heavy side. Then add weight to the other side. It will effect how the plane flies.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:34 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Not sure what you are doing, but let me take a shot.

Get a piece of thin wire. I use wire fising leader. pass the wire through the fuselage to where you want to start the fising line or antenna. Use a drop of CA to glue one of them to the tip of the wire. Give it time to set, then pull it through. Remove it and go back for the next one.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:16 PM
CaseyHeer

Thank for the advice. I had had to hand launch my SkyFly becasue when I try and launcg from the ground my plane pulls severly to the left. What gives?

thanks,
Casey
Old 04-27-2006, 10:23 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by CaseyHeer View Post
Thank for the advice. I had had to hand launch my SkyFly becasue when I try and launcg from the ground my plane pulls severly to the left. What gives?

thanks,
Casey
If it pulls to the left on the ground, most likely your landing gear is not straight, or your rudder is way out of allignment.

If it pulls to the left when you first leave the ground you may be applying too much elevator, causing a stall, or applying elevator too soon, before the plane picks up enough speed to fly.
The plane should lift on its own, or require only a tiny bit of elevator, but only after it picks up speed on the ground, like a full scale airplane.

If you are getting into the air clean and then going left, you may have a balance problem or you are applying too much up elevator causing a stall. Or you may be trying to turn too sharply, applying too much rudder and putting the plane into a stall or spin.

I think you are lifting too soon, not giving the plane time to gain speed, then applying too much up elevator. That would be the usual for a new pilot. Think full scale plane and give it a longer run on the ground.

Last edited by AEAJR; 04-27-2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:30 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

I mentioned stall in my previous post. If you are new to flying you may not know about stall. This is excerpted from an article I wrote for RCEzine.

"Every plane has a minimum air speed it must maintain in order to stay in the air. Below that speed the wing does not generate enough lift to hold the plane. We say the wing has stalled. Stall speed can be affected by the shape of the wing, the weight of the plane and other factors. However here we are going to look at it in terms of air speed and the angle of attach of the wing, particularly at the time of landing."

This is just as critical on take off where you have to reach a certain speed in order for the plane to lift and for the wings to carry it into the air.

"Since we don’t have an airspeed indicator on most of our model planes we have to judge if the plane’s air speed is great enough through experience and judgment. We watch how it behaves and we respond accordingly. Over time we can predict when the wing will stall. In a landing situation, we can use this to our advantage, or we can be caught by surprise and pick up the pieces as payment for our inattention.

What makes this even more “interesting” is that the stall speed varies according to the angle of the wings as they meet the approaching air. This angle is called the angle of attack. The steeper the angle of attack the higher the stall speed.

A second effect of increasing the angle of attack of the wing is that it increases drag, or resistance to the forward motion of the wing. In part that is how we turn the plane, by selectively inducing drag. Drag from the tail will yaw the plane left or right. Drag from the elevator will pitch the nose up or down. Drag from the ailerons will roll the plane left or right.

If we increase the drag on the plane it will slow down for a given power setting. So angle of attack has two effects in relation to stall. We find that the greater the angle, the higher the stall speed, and the greater the angle the greater the drag. The effect of this increased drag is to make it harder for the plane to stay above the stall speed."

So, as you prepare for take-off from the ground, if your plane has not reached a high enough speed and you pull hard on the elevator, you increase the angle of attack, increasing drag, slowing the plane down and causing the wing to stall. Many planes will fall to one side or the other when they stall. So your "falling to the left" may be a result of you stalling the wing.

If you are hand launching, then visit this thread for help with hand launhcing:

Throwing up will make you sick - Read from the first post!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3267744/anchors_3708346/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3708346

Ask away!
Old 04-28-2006, 12:57 AM
gkb

CaseyHeer: My Skyfly does the same thing when doing ROG. Turns to the left...I checked my rudder and it seems fine may be it's torque from the prop?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:25 PM
tcaseyrochester

Can a Sky Fly do a loop or will the wings fold?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:27 PM
tcaseyrochester

Default Red Hawk

I have been trying to buy one for my son. Not available yet even though the Hobbico website says they are.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:43 PM
gkb

tcaseyrochester: I don't know if the Skyfly can loop. I tried with damaged wings and they folded. I think you may have to reinforce the wings with carbon fiber rods first.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:38 AM
Gumby flies !
anotherdarnnoobie

Well I finally got a nice still morning the other day so I took the Skyfly down to the local soccer/ballfield to have at it again .... I checked her out and everything looked good so I set her down on the baseball diamond and throttled up ! A nice clean ROG but it took pretty much the whole infield to get clear of the ground !! From home plate to second base and the wheels just grazed the grass of the outfield as I was lifting clear ! I'll bet Caseyheer's problem is probably just the landing gear... mine taxied nice and straight (and left the coolest tricycle wheel tracks in the stonedust) ... I had to tweak my nosewheel after the last deep grass landing .... a nice lazy banking climb to the left but when I let the stick center she wanted to go right (badly) so I brought her back in and made a little adjustment to the rudder knob then sent her back up .... same climb, and better straight flight, but she seemed to want some "up" elevator so I brought her back for another tune-up .... I think my little adjusting knobs slip ? Anyone having this problem ? Maybe a couple of the little rubber bands from my daughter's braces will solve this problem ... .... So, another pretty ROG (3 for 3 !) and I'm flying pretty sweet around the field .... 3rd lap around and she starts to head out towards the trees at the far side ! (I wonder if my adjustments might have slipped ?) So I cut the power to keep her as low as possible when she goes in .... glides in slow and pretty about 8 feet up and tumbles to the ground ....No sweat !! I do my "walk of shame" out to pick her up and when I get out there I discover there's a small creek running along that edge of the field that's about 4 inches wider than my wingspan and 2 inches deeper than my cockpit and I'm floating right up to the wings dead center in it !! I fished her out and turned off the juice and poured her out before I took her back to the truck ..... would have been the end of my day except I had my trusty AeroAce with me, too !! Flew the battery out on that and headed home to try to dry out the Skyfly .... I just left her on the bench with the cockpit open till the next day before I tried hooking the battery back up .... everything seems to function just fine on the bench !! I was afraid I might have done the electronics some hurt because they were alive (throttle was off and right stick was centered, but still alive !) when they went in the drink .... but it looks like I may have lucked out !!
My neighbor got his Skyfly together and into the air the other day, too ! He did a couple of hand launches in a big pasture up the road a bit and got her trimmed and flying .... says he did about 2-3 laps each flight .... and then the day before my Skfly went amphibian he decided to fly right here across the street. He says he did about 7 laps around the cowfield across the street before he got a little too high and a breeze caught him .... pushed him out into the trees at the far side of the field and that's where the poor thing is still hanging about 30 feet up !! We'll get her back though .... he says he did his first ROG that flight and it was flying beautifully (and he's a newbie, too) right up till the tree reached out and grabbed him !!
He has a Kyosho electric heli too and I managed to get that put back together for him the other night (apparently he hasn't been very successful at flying that one yet !:p ) and I'm pretty sure it's ready to go ... I played with it a little and trimmed it out .... I had it about 1/2 inch off the ground without it wandering all over the place so I think it's close, but I don't want to be the one to try that one out !! Helis glide like rocks and the parts are dear !! I'll happily stand (behind him) and watch him try to fly it and I'll even keep putting it back together for him, but I don't think I want to be the guy that tries to land it sideways !!
So now it's back to work for a couple of days .... 12 hour shifts mean no time to fly but I'll be back out there as soon as I can ..... and I'll have some kind of a fix for that control line slipping problem in place, too !!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:46 AM
gkb

Gumby: you are lucky nothing happened to your electronics. I have my wing all fixed up, the new one I ordered is still on backorder. I have yet to try it out as I am waiting for the calm day to arrive. It has been pretty windy up here lately.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:31 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Key item. Rinse out your electroncis with clean water. Use distilled water for the last wash. That stream water probably has natural mineral content and could have left a ton of ti on the board which could eventually eat up the circuts.

I then rinse it all with 90% isopropyl alcohol, rubbing alcohol, as this tends to draw out water, then you set a hair dryer on cool and let it blow through the plane for a while. Then air dry it, as you did.

Watch teh battery for any signs of corrosion. on my one dip in the salt water of the ocean, after doing what I outlined here, I had to replace the battery as I got all kinds of corrosion on the connection between the cells.

The other electroncis came up fine. It wan't a sky fly, but iit was salt water.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

RANGE:

Has anyone tried to measure the actual range of the radio. Hobbico says 500 feet but I would really appreciate someone doing a ground check to see how far they can walk away from the plane, with the antenna up, and still maintain control.

You will need help for this.

Have freind put plane on ground with the SIDE of the plane facing you. Sitting on a wood table would be even better. Anything metal will affect the signal. You friend can hold it but this will effect the signal somewhat.

Now, with the anteana up and all powered up, walk away and count your paces. 20 steps/paces should be about 40-60 feet. Close enough. So 200 steps, should be 400-600 feet.

Step off 100 and check control. It is best if your friend doesn't holdind the plane, just have them watch it on teh ground . Use cell phones to talk.

See if you can get to 200 steps and still maintain control. Can you go further? Try in 50 step increments.

Hold the antenna up, don't point it at the plane as that will kill the signal.

Let us know how far you can walk from it.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Gumby flies !
anotherdarnnoobie

Well ..... I haven't done any kind of a test to find the ACTUAL limit, but I know that my neighbor's plane was at least 500' out and using a football field's length as a "guesstimator" I'd say it was pretty damn close to 600' out and he says he still had control of it before the tree grabbed it .... he managed to get it turned around and headed back towards our side of the road but he thought he was on our side of the tree when he did .... I'll try to pace it off later in the week when I'm done with "the work thing" .... and if I can get together with him we'll try to do an actual limit test ....

Dave
Old 05-02-2006, 09:42 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Thanks Dave
Old 05-02-2006, 05:23 PM
tcaseyrochester

Originally Posted by luisfc1972 View Post
according to tower hobbies the red hawk comes out sometime in april
Now they are saying June
Old 05-02-2006, 10:17 PM
CaseyHeer

Thank for the info and great stories. I have a quick questions. The line on the stabilizers seems to slip when I try to even out the rudder and aileron causing the rubber band to pull the rudder to far to its side.

How can I keep the fishing line from slipping?
Old 05-02-2006, 10:19 PM
qban_flyer

Question

Originally Posted by tcaseyrochester View Post
Now they are saying June
I all likelihood it will be July, late July.

That's what they did wehn they releasing the G/P FlatOuts, they kept on stretching the delivery date, and stretching it, and stretching it.

By the time they were available I was so desperate I bought four different ones. After assembling (GRRR!) the first two, I took the others back to the LHS. They weren't what they are cracked up to be, and the two to three hour assembly time turned out to be more like 20 to 30. Could it be they missed printing a 0 behind the 2 and 3?

One LHS is closing the Flatsos out @$26 a pop. No one in this area will touch them with a ten foot pole.:o

Old 05-03-2006, 02:16 AM
tcaseyrochester

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
RANGE:

Has anyone tried to measure the actual range of the radio. Hobbico says 500 feet but I would really appreciate someone doing a ground check to see how far they can walk away from the plane, with the antenna up, and still maintain control.

You will need help for this.

Have freind put plane on ground with the SIDE of the plane facing you. Sitting on a wood table would be even better. Anything metal will affect the signal. You friend can hold it but this will effect the signal somewhat.

Now, with the anteana up and all powered up, walk away and count your paces. 20 steps/paces should be about 40-60 feet. Close enough. So 200 steps, should be 400-600 feet.

Step off 100 and check control. It is best if your friend doesn't holdind the plane, just have them watch it on teh ground . Use cell phones to talk.

See if you can get to 200 steps and still maintain control. Can you go further? Try in 50 step increments.

Hold the antenna up, don't point it at the plane as that will kill the signal.

Let us know how far you can walk from it.
I keep going through the manual and I cannot find any reference to range claims . Where did the 500 feet number come from...website?

- TCR
Old 05-03-2006, 02:40 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by tcaseyrochester View Post
I keep going through the manual and I cannot find any reference to range claims . Where did the 500 feet number come from...website?

- TCR
You are right. It isn't in there.

I wrote to Hobbico and they wrote back saying it was 500 feet.

Quick Reply: Hobbico Red Hawk and Sky Fly - Anyone Flown These?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11506 seconds with 10 queries