Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Aircraft reccomendations for new flyers

Old 11-12-2007, 04:46 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

EDF planes are faster, but that's exactly the problem... they must be flown faster, meaning they are harder to launch, harder to land and cover ground really fast, meaning you're going to be turning around all the time. They can be fun if you have a lot of space.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:09 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Completely new on powered flight, but my experience with the Decathlon was mixed, found it not a forgiving flyer as the Super Cub, the motor abit weak, mangaed less than dozen flights, perhaps adjustments mentioned helps, Super Cub will fly right out of the Box, no issues and nice motor, abit more size, a true trainer, great flyer..<>.. BEST..<>..
Old 11-16-2007, 04:33 AM
carld2002

I know this might be on the edge of acceptable but what do you guys think of the art zone su-27 for me?

Also, can someone explain 3d flying to me?
Old 11-16-2007, 04:36 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

EDF planes are not faster than prop planes. Yes an EDF is faster than a stock slow stick, however a plane with high KV motor and small prop will run much faster than an EDF.

my $0.02
Old 11-16-2007, 04:59 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

art zone su-27 is not a good idea in my opinion. I still say go with the Begin-Air or the Wing Dragon 4.

No one is going to change your mind. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose. Please grab some video of your flights.

What do you mean about explain 3d flying? Do you mean why people do it? Or what is it?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:04 AM
carld2002

Well 3d flying is the ones that look like the dollar store foam models right?

Just wondering why people do it because there seems to be a big following for it. I saw one fly once and it was pretty cool how it could hover.

Just wondering why you think the su-27 is bad?

It is between the striker b, the su-27, and a mig-15 one because I can get a good deal for one. I probably won't get the mig 15 though because it looks too fast for me.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:13 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Many people 3d balsa planes as well. I have 3 3d planes, all balsa. Foam is light and does not require such a large battery, esc, battery to power. It is neat to watch people 3d planes.

I think the SU 27 is a great plane, however for your first plane I think it is a horrible idea. It is a twin ducted fan that can fly pretty quick. Granted it is foam, and much more forgiving than balsa, however the glide ratio on the styker will be greater.

I just read the post about SU27 and speed. I guess there is no or very little difference with the speed compared to the Stryker B. I have not flown that model, just read about it. So my opinion might not be worth it.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:16 AM
carld2002

Right on, thanks.

So would getting this be a bad idea or a worse idea?
http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=470
Old 11-16-2007, 05:26 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

carld2002::the Styker B or C are good plane's and got a big follow'in as for the ones that look like the dollar store foam models? whats wrong with um?There all I build my planes out if anymore!! Hehe, your bub, stevecooper
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 300.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	47014   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 298.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	47015   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 212.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	47016   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 077.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	47017   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 090.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	47018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 781.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	47019  
Old 11-16-2007, 05:28 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

That is a horrible idea. The plane with the fan unit is $190. You still have to buy the motor to drive the fan unit, the 60A ESC, and the 5s3200 Lipo, 5 servos, optional retract system, receiver, and transmitter.

You are talking a lot more money than you want to spend.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:54 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

Seriously......3D is a very advanced type of flight....Flying in a stalled condition most of the time.....Extremely accurate control over the rudder and other controls is mandatory......

You need to learn to fly a basic plane first, and then work your way up to the hard stuff.....

On your budget the Wing Dragon 4 is your best option to learn to fly with the least expense and heartache (from broken planes).....

The Stryker may be O.K. due to it's durability, but it is not "easy" to fly like the Wing Dragon.....It is much faster....

Everyone starts out wanting a Warbird, Jet or other super cool looking plane......But those are the harder ones to fly, and 99% of the time the first flights end in utter disaster with a destroyed plane.....Then the new pilot spends more money to fix the plane and then destroys it again....this is repeated over and over and over again....untill the new pilot gives up or throws enough money into it to finally succeed....

You have stated early on that you have a strict budget and are going away to college....if you try to buy a fast jet or Warbird, then most likely you will have bad results and end up wasting a big pile of money....

Please heed the advise that everyone on this thread has given you.....We all had to learn to fly, and are trying to advise you the easiest way for you to succeed and join us in this great hobby....

The Wing Dragon 4 is a sturdy plane that will seve you well.....In fact there is a world tour with a Wing Dragon 4 being sent all over the world with different pilots flying it in many countries...(Globetrotter project).......This plane was selected for it's strength, ease of flying and ability to take abuse.......

You can learn with it......and upgrade it for better performance as needed....Then pull all the gear out and put it into a better looking higher performance plane later on.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:08 AM
carld2002

Stevecooper: the Striker c seems to fast for me. I used "dollar store planes" to describe the look, definately not the performance. I knew I would take some flak for saying it but I meant that in the best way, They are pretty cool.

Liquidy: My budget has changed substantially since I started this thread.

Murphy: I'm not really into the wing dragon. I am looking more for planes that look at least somewhat like a real one. (striker excluded)
Old 11-16-2007, 06:57 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Then you need to go for a Super Cub. But really, looks are the last thing you should consider when you pick a trainer. The considerations for me were (in order of priority): easy to fly, easy to fix, uses standard modular airplane equipment, big enough to see way up high. Looks were not a consideration. If you look at my hangar on my blog, you can see how I advanced. The planes are listed in order of how I got them, and with the exception of the Brio, in order of how I learned. You can advance very quickly if you start with the right trainer. I started this spring, and while I do have a lot of flying and electronics experience, I had never touched a transmitter before then.
http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/2007...low-stick.html
Old 11-16-2007, 11:32 AM
M.T.

As a new 'flyer', I would definately suggest buying a plane that is SLOW!
I destroyed a couple of planes (and nearly gave up) before getting a Kyosho Minium and a Slo-V....... I am now really enjoying flying and learning all the time.

Start 'slow' it is quicker and less frustrating in the long run!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:15 PM
carld2002

I will probably be buying the firebird phantom trainer this weekend.

For $60, is it worth it?

How does it turn? Is it elevons or rudder?

Does it have elevators to control pitch or just thrust control.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

HobbyZone’s revolutionary Anti-Crash Technology™
Proportional FM 3-channel control through throttle, steering and pitch with a 1,300-foot range and digital trims.
7-cell 300mAh battery pack for up to 8 minutes of flying fun
AC wall adapter and DC auto charger so batteries can be charged wherever it’s convenient.
Soft nose provides added durability in the case of a hard landing or crash
High-performance 180 power motor for faster climbs and speed
Instructional video CD and manual
Four “AA” batteries included (for transmitter)
Assembles in minutes—everything needed is included
It sounds an aweful lot like the aerobird3, however I think the AB3 has a 380 motor in it.

The AB3 was an ok plane to fly, but a bit fast initially for some beginners with no throttle control. Learn to get it high and cut the throttle back half way to fly around. It will also make for a good glider if you cut the throttle all the way once to altitude.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:22 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
It sounds an aweful lot like the aerobird3, however I think the AB3 has a 380 motor in it.

The AB3 was an ok plane to fly, but a bit fast initially for some beginners with no throttle control. Learn to get it high and cut the throttle back half way to fly around. It will also make for a good glider if you cut the throttle all the way once to altitude.
It sounds exactly the same as all the other ones they make actually. If you read the descriptions, they all use nearly the exact same text. I like how they say the same thing about all the motors, but they just change the number...

The Super Cub is the only one you should buy. After you've replaced the boom a few times and fixed the broken wires, you'll understand. The pod-and-boom type planes are good if you never crash... but where is the fun in that?
Old 11-16-2007, 11:54 PM
The Bandit

Originally Posted by carld2002 View Post
Right on, thanks.

So would getting this be a bad idea or a worse idea?
http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=470
LOL...you keep going towards the ducted fans.

The pros and cons of ducted fan:

Ducted fan CAN be as fast if not faster than a prop plane (depends on how it's set-up). They've been clocked at over 200mph.

Ducted fan does not exhibit the "torque roll" that you get from prop planes.

Fans are protected in the housing, but it will suck up anything and everything near the intake.

Ducted fans lack the thrust of a regular prop plane. On the otherside, they spin 4x rpm of prop planes.

Not as "efficient" as prop planes. 80-100watt for decent performance on prop, where as you would need at least 150watt for decent performance on ducted fan. Now keep in mind "decent performance" is very subjective.

You must fly the plane, meaning you're charting out the path of flight instead of letting the plane dictate where you fly. Reason is, the lack of imediate thrust, you are forced to get on the throttle earlier than you would a prop plane. So you have to plan your flight path much more carefully to give yourself time to power up. Once again...depends on how you set-up your plane. My ducted fans have a 1:1 thrust ratio, so I don't feel this is as much of an issue. But you do still have to build up the rpm to get on step.

Do you have to fly the ducted fans faster than prop? I think this has more to do with the types of models that ducted fans are built around. Jet airframes weren't designed for slow flight. Although, I have an A-10 that can fly as slow as most of my prop planes, that's due to the airfoil. On a prop plane, when you cut power the prop will create some drag to help slow the plane, you don't have that benefit with a ducted fan, so it tends to land hotter.

Setting up a ducted fan is much more critical than a prop plane. Balancing a fan rotor and making sure that the impeller hub and rotors all run true...can mean the difference between power sucking hog to elite speed demon. When your prop works in the world of 35K-50Krpm...one slight imbalance is much more pronounced. You have to pay attention the gapping between impeller blade and housing, the intake area, the exhaust area...everything needs to be optimized for clean unobstructed airflow.

So there it is...ducted fan in a nutshell. Now I don't recommend it for a first plane, but if you like to tinker and like a good challenge...it would be a nice 2nd-3rd plane.

Last edited by The Bandit; 11-17-2007 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:37 PM
carld2002

How do motor sizes work?

As you go up in number, does the power increase?

For example, is a 380 stronger than a 180?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:55 PM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

How do motor sizes work?

As you go up in number, does the power increase?

For example, is a 380 stronger than a 180?
Sort of, but the number doesn't really mean a whole lot, and different manufacturers use the numbers in different ways. What you need to know is the kV rating. The diameter of the rotor makes a big difference too. More kV will give you more rpm at a given voltage, and more diameter gives more torque.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:08 PM
carld2002

it doesn't seem to say.

Looks like I will be getting a firebird phantom or another 3 channel trainer this weekend.

What do you guys think or suggest for $80 or less now.

I want to buy a fairly cheap one now, then a nice on later on.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Insomniac

The firebird phantom is probably the best you will get for under $80, as it has full three channel control. The only issue with it is a weak spot on the tail boom, so after a few crashes you may need to repair the boom. If you get it turn off the ACT, a lot of people complain that it actually can make it more difficult to fly.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Brandon16166

I just got a wing dragon 4 and have not flown it yet. but eveyone says its a good plane. you can also buy the wing dragon 3 wing and put it on the wd4 and it will be like haveing two planes in one.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:51 AM
carld2002

So the hobby didn't have the firebird phantom for $60.

Instead, I got the flyzone skyfly for $100.

It is really nice, haven't flown it yet but I built it and it seems to be great so far.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:01 AM
jasmine2501
Custom User Title

So the hobby didn't have the firebird phantom for $60.

Instead, I got the flyzone skyfly for $100.

It is really nice, haven't flown it yet but I built it and it seems to be great so far.
I saw one of those over the weekend and it is a nice flier. It's a floater/glider and if you treat it gently, it will return the favor. It is not really aerobatic, so don't bank it too far, and just let it turn and correct. Turn a little bit, center the stick, maybe a little up elevator as it banks around, then push to the other side to level out. Remember, you start the turn, the plane continues it, and you stop the turn by pushing the other way. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Aircraft reccomendations for new flyers

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12515 seconds with 19 queries