Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

New Hobbyzone park flyer, Aerobird Swift

Old 05-01-2007, 05:05 AM
  #151  
Tracker
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ca.
Posts: 12
Talking First flight

Well I made my first flight with the swift, after taping leading edge. It flew great. Soared great under half power. Made a snap roll and it handled pretty good. Now the bad part. I lost sight of which way it was going or coming...ugg stayed calm it landed perfect in a little tree that I was able to lift it out of. Located it by listening to the motor off and on. No damage, I got to keep it closer into me. Sad part is I was in a wide open field.
Tracker is offline  
Old 05-01-2007, 03:08 PM
  #152  
AEAJR
Community Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY, USA
Posts: 5,822
Default

As I recall, the wings are yellow top and bottom. If you paint the bottom of the wings black it will be much easier to tell top from bottom.
AEAJR is offline  
Old 05-02-2007, 05:21 AM
  #153  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Repaired and ready to fly. (I was even able to put the motor back together and it appears to be working correctly - no arcing in the brushes.)

Hoping I will get to test fly it and trim it later this week.

Surprisingly little damage considering the severity of the crash. Would have been a total loss if I was flying one of my balsa planes.



Clint
cbatters is offline  
Old 05-02-2007, 02:14 PM
  #154  
navy atc
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 89
Default

Gald to hear of your recovery. Back in Feb. on my swift maiden, I flew it full power into the gound, Never thought it would be the same. 24hrs later, its back in th saddle. Remember we had discussion about plastic memory?
Congrats and safe flying.
navy atc is offline  
Old 05-02-2007, 02:42 PM
  #155  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

I was pleasantly surprised at how little damage it sustained.

I was expecting much more carnage. (Crash was severe enough that the motor cover near the terminals came off. The only thing that kept the armature/shaft from flying through the fuse was the caps soldered onto the motor terminals.)

I have not experienced a crash like that since the early days of the challenger when I did a couple out of control spirals into the ground.

The only visible evidence of the crash is the hot glue I used to secure the torn canopy flap.

Anxious to get it back in the air and confirm that I have solved the weird instability. (180 degrees into a loop as the plane was coming over the top it would abruptly roll and begin drpping towards the ground.) I believe the movement in the aileron could explain the instability.

TIP - I have been using a rubber band on the outside of the canopy to hold the battery in place instead of fooling around with the velcro.



Clint
cbatters is offline  
Old 05-04-2007, 01:09 PM
  #156  
Buck Rogers
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 511
Default

I've managed to get in a few more flights on my Swift now and I've got it flying nice and straight. I took it out today but it was a bit too windy so I brought her down again after a couple of circuits to avoid a crash.

I've been having a hard time launching my Swift though. On two occasions it has just gone into the ground. Luckily it was at a shallow angle and the wheels took all the impact. I find I have to take a good run up and give it a good hard throw to get airborne. Is there some way that I can imporve my technique?

Last edited by Buck Rogers; 05-04-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Buck Rogers is offline  
Old 05-04-2007, 09:28 PM
  #157  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
I've managed to get in a few more flights on my Swift now and I've got it flying nice and straight. I took it out today but it was a bit too windy so I brought her down again after a couple of circuits to avoid a crash.

I've been having a hard time launching my Swift though. On two occasions it has just gone into the ground. Luckily it was at a shallow angle and the wheels took all the impact. I find I have to take a good run up and give it a good hard throw to get airborne. Is there some way that I can imporve my technique?
Firm level toss with full power and let the plane fly level for 50' to pick up speed before pulling back on the stick. Do not attempt to level the plane shortly after launch because iit will cause the plane to crash.


Clint
cbatters is offline  
Old 05-04-2007, 10:11 PM
  #158  
Buck Rogers
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 511
Default

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
Firm level toss with full power and let the plane fly level for 50' to pick up speed before pulling back on the stick. Do not attempt to level the plane shortly after launch because iit will cause the plane to crash.


Clint
I'm not sure that will work. A firm level toss usually ends up in a colision with the ground (not because of stall - just a shallow decent). I usually have to take a good run up and give it a really good throw like an olimpic javelin thrower.
Buck Rogers is offline  
Old 05-04-2007, 10:50 PM
  #159  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
I'm not sure that will work. A firm level toss usually ends up in a colision with the ground (not because of stall - just a shallow decent). I usually have to take a good run up and give it a really good throw like an olimpic javelin thrower.
Works for me. Just make sure the plane is trimmed for level flight and throw level not up. (Launching is counter intuitive. Your naturtal tendany is to throw at an up angle and even add some up elevator. Howsever, those two factors will almpost certainly drive you into the ground unless you launch very, very fast by running.)

One step, level toss launches every time even wiithout winid. (In 5+ MPH you can give it a gentle toss and it will fly out of your hand.)



Clint
cbatters is offline  
Old 05-05-2007, 04:37 AM
  #160  
navy atc
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: atlanta, ga
Posts: 89
Default

Check the v-tail again. Use the adjustment screws. You were flying INTO the wind weren't you? LOL..Dont ask..Also if you're landing on anything other than concrete, lose the landing gear. Tape bottom of wing accordingly. Have fun, Good luck!
navy atc is offline  
Old 05-05-2007, 01:52 PM
  #161  
Buck Rogers
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 511
Default

Originally Posted by navy atc View Post
Check the v-tail again. Use the adjustment screws. You were flying INTO the wind weren't you? LOL..Dont ask..Also if you're landing on anything other than concrete, lose the landing gear. Tape bottom of wing accordingly. Have fun, Good luck!
Yes, I was going into the wind (what little there was of it). I managed to get two more flights in this morning and htis time there were a few, more experienced, guys at the same field I use. They helped my launch it and there were no problems. I guess I just need to be quicker on the stick if I'm launching it myself to make sure I can give it a bit of elevator.
Buck Rogers is offline  
Old 05-05-2007, 04:05 PM
  #162  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
Yes, I was going into the wind (what little there was of it). I managed to get two more flights in this morning and htis time there were a few, more experienced, guys at the same field I use. They helped my launch it and there were no problems. I guess I just need to be quicker on the stick if I'm launching it myself to make sure I can give it a bit of elevator.
Fight the urge to add up elevator. Up elevator = stall / drop wing / crash.

Also consider launching using low rates and let the plane fly level at eye level for 40-50 feet and build up speed before adding gentle up elevator to climb.

(Once you get the plane trimmed correctly, you should be able to launch the plane successfully with the transmitter sitting on the ground.)



Clint
cbatters is offline  
Old 05-05-2007, 08:04 PM
  #163  
Tracker
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ca.
Posts: 12
Default Charging Batteries

I have the 7 cell battery packs for the Swift, Been using the car out let to charge them. Is it better to first charge using a wall charger then maybe top them off with the DC car outlet? Any thoughts on this please let me know, thanks.
Tracker is offline  
Old 05-06-2007, 11:42 PM
  #164  
Tracker
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ca.
Posts: 12
Default Second Flight

Well I made my second flight yesterday. It flew great. Made great loops and rolls. Handled turns real well. All went great untile I went inverted. My batery must of slid forward as it looked like the CG went forward. I couldn't get it to level out, made a inverted landing. Now I need to find that repair with the plywood for the spar. Other then that it was a great flight.
Tracker is offline  
Old 05-07-2007, 01:24 PM
  #165  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Well I made my second flight yesterday. It flew great. Made great loops and rolls. Handled turns real well. All went great untile I went inverted. My batery must of slid forward as it looked like the CG went forward. I couldn't get it to level out, made a inverted landing. Now I need to find that repair with the plywood for the spar. Other then that it was a great flight.
Three thoughts:

1. You may want to use a rubber band on the outside of the canopy to hold the battery in place and the canopy closed. (I found the Velcro to be a PITA and took way too long to swap batteries.)

2. Loops / rolls / inverted flight are best practiced at 3 mistake high altitude (200-300')

3. Epoxy along the root edge of the wing can be used for repairs and as preventive maintenance. Confident I would have torn my fuse if I had not reinforced the root of the wing.




Clint
cbatters is offline  
Old 05-08-2007, 05:00 AM
  #166  
Tracker
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ca.
Posts: 12
Default

Clint, thanks for the advise. I will remember to stay high on inverts. I did use rubber bands on canopy, but I think the battery moved forward. If I would of been higher I could of rolled over and pulled up, higher is better, thanks. Im not sure what you mean about apoxy at wing root. Could you explain, as I need ever edge I can get. Thanks again for help.
Tracker is offline  
Old 05-08-2007, 12:34 PM
  #167  
AEAJR
Community Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY, USA
Posts: 5,822
Default

It is a good idea to add a piece of velcro on the battery such that the battery straps will grab it. This makes it easier to strap the battery in and reduces the chances of it sliding for and aft.
AEAJR is offline  
Old 05-09-2007, 04:35 AM
  #168  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
Clint, thanks for the advise. I will remember to stay high on inverts. I did use rubber bands on canopy, but I think the battery moved forward. If I would of been higher I could of rolled over and pulled up, higher is better, thanks. Im not sure what you mean about apoxy at wing root. Could you explain, as I need ever edge I can get. Thanks again for help.
Thin coating of epoxy on the foam root of the wing significantly strengthens/stiffens the wing. Less likely to damage the fuse if wing root remains rigid in the fuse during a crash)


Clint
cbatters is offline  
Old 05-13-2007, 01:29 AM
  #169  
Tracker
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ca.
Posts: 12
Default Hooking up wires to wings

I need to know how to hook back up my wing wireing. They got pulled loose when doing the strut repair. I have no idea where to reattach the clip on to the circuit board. Too many three pins on the board. The manual has nothing in it about this. Thanks for any help.
Tracker is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 12:04 PM
  #170  
mongoose
New Member
 
mongoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wollongong Australia
Posts: 19
Default

Hi guys i got a HZ Swift for my birthday . went out today for first flight , done a few circuits and bought here down no probs . second flight flying around ok then it lost signal and went merryilly on its own [oh poo ] so of i went at a flate out run across footy feild trying to get some kind of radio responce back . but it decieded to go around the back of a group of trees over a creek , but luckly it come back around from the left side of trees heading for the right hand side of trees actualy straight at the last tree on the end. some how it just mist it and keept going [ toward the creek] . So when i got there [ scared to look ] i eventualy found it in the lantarner bush about a 3feet from the creek. i on the other hand were only a touch worried well maybe a lot .So wot i lernt from this is that the hand set doesnt like rechargables i guess it needs a higher voltage ,which i tryed later with a set of new energizers and it seems fine . But i do have a Question which end of the battery do you guys put to front of the plane single ceell end or double cell end? And yes i am worried about the next flight .
mongoose is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 12:19 PM
  #171  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Three thoughts:

1. Ground check radio range before flying (300' with antenna down)

2. If the transmitter wasn't beeping, the battery voltage was OK and you can check it with a meter to confirm

3. With the stock battery / connectors / fuse configuration, you pretty much have to run it with single cell forward.


Clint
cbatters is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 12:37 PM
  #172  
mongoose
New Member
 
mongoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wollongong Australia
Posts: 19
Default

the transmitter was beeping with rechargables but with ground check it only went about 50foot antenna down, with energizers in it probably about the 150 ft antenna down.The hand set i got in mine is a 4ch stick and is green in cooler .I am also using deans plugs on batterys ,but had the battery backwould to you .
mongoose is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 01:39 PM
  #173  
cbatters
Super Contributor
 
cbatters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,050
Default

Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
the transmitter was beeping with rechargables but with ground check it only went about 50foot antenna down, with energizers in it probably about the 150 ft antenna down.The hand set i got in mine is a 4ch stick and is green in cooler .I am also using deans plugs on batterys ,but had the battery backwould to you .
You flew with the transmitter beeping a low battery alarm and a 50' ground check range???
cbatters is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 02:07 PM
  #174  
mongoose
New Member
 
mongoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wollongong Australia
Posts: 19
Default

Yes i now know i should of checked it before first flight. The transmiter beeps when you turn it on once thats it and shows full power .Yes i was a little excited to fly .
mongoose is offline  
Old 05-14-2007, 02:32 PM
  #175  
AEAJR
Community Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NY, USA
Posts: 5,822
Default

One beep when you turn it on is fine. When battery voltage gets too low it will beep constantly.

Range Check test is on 16 of your manual ( you DID read the manual, right? ) It calls for 100 paces with the antenna up. For me 100 paces is about 300 feet. However I normally range check it at 100 feet with the antenna down, which is a harder test to pass.

Now, as to the radio you are using, the swift comes with a single stick radio. What radio are you using? That may be your problem. It may not be entirely compatible with the plane.

Was this a new plane?

I flew my swift with the single cell forward. It flew better that way.
AEAJR is offline  

Quick Reply: New Hobbyzone park flyer, Aerobird Swift


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11363 seconds with 13 queries