Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

HobbyZone Super Cub - Tell Me About It

Old 12-11-2006, 09:07 PM
sgomes

Hi again, Clint. Yep, probably too much wind. Will try to hold off for better weather. Got my parts and glue, so I have a little work to do.

Also, don't know if it's heresy to mention heli's here, but just got home and my little PiccoZ's have arrived. Fun day today!!

Thanks again.

Steve
Old 12-11-2006, 10:44 PM
aircruiser
onboard addict

sgomes, the super cub is really easy to control and no pilot is a crappy pilot

The only way you can pretty much crash on your own is if you have never flown before, have bad hand-eye coordination or just don't know how your plane will re-act.

I dunno if you have read the threads stickied in the top of the section, but there is some great tips there!!

I learned from my dad flying 4 channels and pretty much picked up on how to fly the commander 2 and super cub on my own. The big factor is getting use to how the plane handles. I'm not ripping on you by no means, just giving out a little advice!

Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2006, 11:33 PM
sgomes

Aircruiser, I'm not offended at all. But, to be sure, I give "crappy pilots" a bad name.

Let's see, in order: "The only way you can pretty much crash on your own is if you have never flown before" - nope, first time flying; "have bad hand-eye coordination" - of course, kept me from going blind in high school; and "just don't know how your plane will re-act" - though I'm still trying!!

All in good fun, thanks for the advice!

Steve
Old 12-11-2006, 11:52 PM
aircruiser
onboard addict

Haha, no problem!

We all gotta start somewhere!

And what I meant by crappy pilot just means that no pilot can basically "suck" at flying, everyone with practice can fly. I have only crashed the cub once and that was because my dad made to sharp of a turn with his Stryker F27B and flew right into the side of my cub fusalage. The plane literally exploded, mine that is.

Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2006, 12:46 AM
cbatters
Super Contributor

aircruiser - You had the benefit of flying a 2 channel Commander before attempting to fly a 3 channel Cub - confident that had a lot to do with your success with the Cub

IMHO - 2 channel planes like the Commander are a great way to get started in the sport. Pitch contol just adds extra confusion and usually leads to stalls.

Steve - Field size and wind have a HUGE impact on your flying success. Wind plus small field can make flying very stressful / difficult even for an experienced pilot.

Clint

Last edited by cbatters; 12-12-2006 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:49 AM
aircruiser
onboard addict

Well like I said I began with my first flight in 96 with ny dad's 4 channel Bi-Plane kit. The commander 2 felt more like an R/C car. But this is true what you say...
Old 12-12-2006, 02:01 AM
sgomes

Thanks again guys. This forum has been the reason I have stayed with it like I have. As long as I have 5-minute epoxy, and a piece of exposed foam to put it on, I think I will be in the air.

Steve

p.s. - what does it mean when the guy at the hobby shop says "See ya tomorrow."??
Old 12-12-2006, 02:34 AM
aircruiser
onboard addict

Originally Posted by sgomes View Post
p.s. - what does it mean when the guy at the hobby shop says "See ya tomorrow."??

LOL
Old 12-12-2006, 02:07 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
Well like I said I began with my first flight in 96 with ny dad's 4 channel Bi-Plane kit. The commander 2 felt more like an R/C car. But this is true what you say...
2 channel planes give the aspiring pilot a chance to learn how to fly the field with less chance of over-controlling / crashing. New pilots need to maximize air time and minimize repair cost/time. Also good for a new pilot to learn to control airspeed / altitude with power.

I haven't flown a SuperCub yet but my guess is that you could trim it to fly without a lot of pitch control input. And from the videos I have seen, it looks like it has good low speed performance so throttling back to keep speed down would help, especially in a confined flying location.

Unfortunately, early flight are often a linked series of recovery maneuvers instead of a flight plan. Get up higher and you will be more successful.

Good luck!

Clint
Old 12-17-2006, 04:52 AM
radioflyer75

I'm considering buying a Supercub, and was wondering if it's possible to take the wings off for transporting it? I drive a jeep and the inside room is pretty crowded.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:53 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Yep, you can take the wings off.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:13 AM
aircruiser
onboard addict

Yep, just remember all your rubber bands and a screwdriver and both screws for the struts.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:34 PM
herk_1
Trash Hauler emeritus

Went out with the Cub this morning, and finally got the knack of approach/landing.

Before I practiced landings, I tested power-off stall characteristics. The Cub got real slow before stalling, and the nose dropped with the wings remaining perfectly level, quickly speeding up in a steep dive while losing forty or fifty feet before I pulled out. It probably would have lost less altitude if I hadn't pushed up so much power as part of my recovery (a habit left over from piloting real airplanes).

The guidance in the Cub manual made landings much easier. They say to bring the Cub in 10 or 15 feet above the ground, then just chop the power and glide in. That makes it a lot easier than what I was doing before -- trying to do a long glidepath from much higher up (a good practice for the 2-channel Firebird Commander 2; not really necessary for the 3-channel Cub). When I was trying to do a long glidepath from high up, I kept getting into situations where I had to add power to avoid alarmingly slow speeds (while still jockeying the elevator control). By starting the glidepath descent from 10 or 15 feet up, you can just kill the power and forget about that variable, then the only variable you have to control is elevator (and maybe some small rudder course corrections. I "greased in" four landings in a row. Even my son recognized it as an achievement...I think it's the first time he's ever spontaneously given me a "high five!"
Old 12-17-2006, 07:57 PM
sgomes

Well, I may have killed my SC. Foolishly and still in my learning phase, I went flying on a too-windy day. Had just effected from earlier mishap, and was anxious to try again. Anyway, things went fine following hand launch on upwind leg, but then came the turn and downwind adventure. Wasn't so much of an adventure as it was pure terror - unbelievable pick up in speed, uncontrollable really until plane caught up with wind, then came full-throttle-on crash!!! Man, happened almost before I knew what was going on. I, totally froze at the controls!!

Cockpit forward is completely broken off. Looks like some of the electronics may be damaged. If I can ressurect this it will be a miracle. Wing tie-downs are broken out from fuse. Might have to spring for a new fuse - just don't know at this point.

I know that, in my haste to learn, I have broken almost every newbie rule, so have no one to blame but myself. Wondering, at this point, if I will ever learn to fly??

Resolve - to be a better student, and heed the warnings and recommendations of the more experienced!!!

Will keep you posted.

Steve
Old 12-17-2006, 08:11 PM
aircruiser
onboard addict

Man that's terrible sg.

Sounds like mone after my mid-air but electronics survived.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2006, 08:43 PM
sgomes

Aircruiser, yours was the one that got struck by a stryker - right? Saw the pics - that was pretty impressive!! But, you were able to fix that??

Steve
Old 12-17-2006, 09:04 PM
aircruiser
onboard addict

Yep, that was me.

I ended up getting a whole new fusalage, wing, tail because so much was destroyed and my dad likes to fly with someone as well as I love to fly and with my dad is so much better.

The fusalage and wing are now used as foam replacements for the stryker but a little foam safe CA should make it somewhat flyable again. But last night I flew inverted to low and tried to ride it out.

Just broke a prop and the battery compartment came loose, but she'll be in the air again soon enough.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:18 PM
sgomes

That's great that you can share this with your Dad. I would like to get mine into rc flight. I am 55 and he is 79, but he had his private pilot license years ago and he is still interested in flight. He is still really "with it" both mentally and physically and this might be just the thing for him.

Thanks for your follow-up.

Steve
Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 PM
aircruiser
onboard addict

No problem!

It is a great father son sport and I have got to spend alot more time with my dad because of it. That and auto mechanics, working on cars and such.

It is a great hobby!
Old 12-17-2006, 11:06 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

SGOMES - easy enough to check out elctronics / servo before ordering any new parts to figure out best/cheapest way to get plane ready to fly again.

ALL - Best thing I ever did was get more than one plane. That way a crash is never the end of flying for the day.

Clint
Old 12-18-2006, 01:27 AM
aircruiser
onboard addict

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post

ALL - Best thing I ever did was get more than one plane. That way a crash is never the end of flying for the day.

Clint
I have a super cub, commander 2 and scout and they are all grounded right now.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:05 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by cbatters View Post
SGOMES -
Clint
I normally take 3-5 planes with me. Usually 2 electrics and 3 gliders. That way, no matter the conditions, or mishaps, I am still flying!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:31 AM
diablo
Newbie Pilot

I should have my Super Cub in this week
Old 12-18-2006, 03:38 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

We raffle the one off for the club on Thursday. Hope I win it!
Old 12-18-2006, 01:23 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post
I have a super cub, commander 2 and scout and they are all grounded right now.
What grounded your Commander??

Clint

Quick Reply: HobbyZone Super Cub - Tell Me About It

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11488 seconds with 11 queries