Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

8 motors RC controlled

Old 03-26-2011, 12:49 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

if the 240 mah lipo will work for you, great use the single cells first, your lipos being dead may have been the biggest issue here, how many lipos are you going to use 8 single cells in Parallel
Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

also, install a switch where the receiver is, to shut it off completly, before putting the prop unit with the receiver in it into the water, soak the receiver in corrosion x to water proof it, water will damage your receiver, or encase the receiver in epoxy.with the wires hanging out of it, the switch for the receiver can be at the charging plug area, where you had the power from the converter going into it at.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Chelle

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Great the 24x19x5 and 240 mah, ok if those will work, thats good enough, we dont need to go bigger than that and you can remove the lead now from the units, ok if you use 2 of those lipos and i hope they wont be to heavy per prop unit, and to tell you the truth, you might only need one lipo, if the other lipos got damaged, try one lipo first, but buy enough to double the lipos per prop unit,
ok, perhaps a stupid question, but why isn't the Voltage mentioned? This is what I've been looking for in the past.

Now the lead is a half and half problem. I have to add (roughly) 17.4g to make it sink, and the I've measured everything out for those other batteries that are 2.7g and glued it all on. Those new ones are 5.9 so I'll have to do some scraping

Anyway I'm going to order a heap of those 240mAh's and see how it goes.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:05 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Chelle View Post
ok, perhaps a stupid question, but why isn't the Voltage mentioned? This is what I've been looking for in the past.

Now the lead is a half and half problem. I have to add (roughly) 17.4g to make it sink, and the I've measured everything out for those other batteries that are 2.7g and glued it all on. Those new ones are 5.9 so I'll have to do some scraping

Anyway I'm going to order a heap of those 240mAh's and see how it goes.
there are no stupid questions its just plain dumb not to ask questions all single cell lipos are 3.7 volts per cell.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:09 PM
Chelle

... how many lipos are you going to use 8 single cells in Parallel
yes. Those 240mAh's have got double the power of those 90mah's, no?

also, install a switch where the receiver is, to shut it off completly, before putting the prop unit with the receiver in it into the water, soak the receiver in corrosion x to water proof it, water will damage your receiver, or encase the receiver in epoxy.with the wires hanging out of it, the switch for the receiver can be at the charging plug area, where you had the power from the converter going into it at.
mh, yes I'll have to add a switch but it shouldn't be hanging in the way. I think that I will also be only able, to try it in water for a few minutes, because water will poor in so I'll have to open it all up after one try.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:13 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

if your going to use 8 lipos at 240mah each in parallel, thats 1920 mah @ 3.7 volts the poly charger i link to will charge at 1000mah, I charge 1800mah 3 cell lipos with that poly charger and it takes about 1 hr + to charge a 1800 mah 3 cell liop, i am going to guess it will take about 2 hr or less to charge your 8 lipos up at the 1000mah setting, thats about 1/2 C rating, and thats ok, because charging a lipo slow, will make it last longer
Old 03-26-2011, 01:17 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

yes. Those 240mAh's have got double the power of those 90mah's, no?

mh, yes I'll have to add a switch but it shouldn't be hanging in the way. I think that I will also be only able, to try it in water for a few minutes, because water will poor in so I'll have to open it all up after one try.
before you put the unit in water, seal the receiver with epoxy, just one time in water will ruin it, the switch and charge plug can be on the rod that you have between the prop units
Old 03-26-2011, 01:22 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

the 240mah lipo have almost 3 times the capacity of the 90mah lipo, it will last/run about 3 time longer, the voltage is the same, but the lipo wont sag right away, and you will have higher voltages for a longer duration.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Chelle

Ok. One last question, I have opened the transmitter and couldn't find a fuse (see pic.)

This transmitter is very specific 900mhz(link) have you any idea where to find these, HobbyKing at a first look not ... or is this supplier probably the only (affordable) one

Old 03-26-2011, 01:38 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I dont see a fuse, darn good picture taking its cheap enough, buy another one, put batteries in it only, Take care and have fun, Chellie
Old 03-29-2011, 05:57 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Default water

Like Chellie said, corrosionX or BoeShield or epoxy or similar electronic protection for submersion. Also, be sure to use distilled water. Mains water will be conductive. Pure distilled water should have some insulating properties, however any contaminants will help it conduct, this includes carbon dust from the brushes. You may want to spray out the motors with electronic cleaner now that the brushes have worn in and created dust. They will of course continue to produce dust, however it seems best to minimize this before hand to keep your water as clean as possible.

I couldn't quite read the power supply in the video, was it pumping 1.9A at 2.5V ? remember that a voltage increase will increase the RPM of the motors, when the RPM goes up, so will any resistance - especially in water. The amp draw will climb drastically. Keep the speed as low as possible to minimize amps required. Work all moving parts to ensure you have them moving as freely as possible.

Having the entire assembly moving is a great success! Bravo!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Chelle

Hi Max,

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure View Post
... You may want to spray out the motors with electronic cleaner now that the brushes have worn in and created dust. They will of course continue to produce dust, however it seems best to minimize this before hand to keep your water as clean as possible.
I'm using Boeshield, the 'electronic cleaner' is something I didn't knew. The water is something I cannot control as I'm planning to try it in a swimming pool, or is that a disaster to happen?

Originally Posted by MaxAdventure
I couldn't quite read the power supply in the video, was it pumping 1.9A at 2.5V ? remember that a voltage increase will increase the RPM of the motors, when the RPM goes up, so will any resistance - especially in water. The amp draw will climb drastically. Keep the speed as low as possible to minimize amps required. Work all moving parts to ensure you have them moving as freely as possible.
Yes, it was about 2.5 when I started but when I pushed it up to 6V it started rolling really fluent. And a high current under load might be a danger for the batteries, not for the receiver as I'm using a Solid State Relay it also gives more direct power.

Having the entire assembly moving is a great success! Bravo!
thanks!

btw also a big thanks to Chellie for all the advice last weekend, I'm waiting now for the money I uploaded money to my Paypal account, which takes a few day's, once it's up I can start ordering the new equipment.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:07 AM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

I'm using Boeshield, the 'electronic cleaner' is something I didn't knew. The water is something I cannot control as I'm planning to try it in a swimming pool, or is that a disaster to happen?
I had forgotten you chose the Boeshield - this of course coats to waterproof the electronics. The cleaner I mentioned may or may not help, I just thought it may minimize additional shorts once the motors get water in them because of the worn brushes. Be aware the cleaner will also clean away any application of Boesheild! If you choose to clean anything, you will probably want to ensure you still have a good coating of Boesheild where you need it. Just some ideas, you make the choices that sound good.

The thing about a pool is they tend to be full of sanitizing agents like chlorine and bromine, salts that will make a great electrolyte - begging to conduct any current you provide. My thought is do initial tests in distilled water to minimize any possible disruption. A pot or tub filled with a few gallons just to test for freedom of movement and current draw under load. Once things are running well - work on ensuring the components are adequately insulated then go for the pool. I wouldn't risk the pool so early in the project for fear of what may be in the water making it a conductor.

also a big thanks to Chellie for all the advice last weekend, I'm waiting now for the money I uploaded money to my Paypal account, which takes a few day's, once it's up I can start ordering the new equipment.
Chellies thoughts of using vinyl insulated wire may help in the long run with consecutive runs, swimming pools etc. I would think it would be easier for full waterproofing with that type of wire. I am looking forward to the updated version running!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:48 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi maybe using that thin Phone wire will help, i dont think you will be drawing a lot of amps, and I think that wire should carry the electrical load Ok, Just my 2 cents worth, Chellie
Old 04-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Chelle

The thing about a pool is they tend to be full of sanitizing agents like chlorine and bromine, salts that will make a great electrolyte - begging to conduct any current you provide. My thought is do initial tests in distilled water to minimize any possible disruption. A pot or tub filled with a few gallons just to test for freedom of movement and current draw under load. Once things are running well - work on ensuring the components are adequately insulated then go for the pool. I wouldn't risk the pool so early in the project for fear of what may be in the water making it a conductor.
mh, I got a large tub that masons use for their wet mortar (see pic.), but I live on the 3th floor and I don't have an elevator so getting the distilled water isn't the easiest thing to do. And to be honest I don't really now where to get like 30 liters I know the pharmacies have it (in liters) ... I'll have to do a search ... wouldn't there be some sort of a magnet or filter that you hang in the water that attracts all the 'dirt'?

btw I've ordered the new batteries and a charger, it might still take a few weeks before everything is in da house, so probably time enough to get the water up here

Chellies thoughts of using vinyl insulated wire may help in the long run with consecutive runs, swimming pools etc. I would think it would be easier for full waterproofing with that type of wire. I am looking forward to the updated version running!
Yeah Chellie & Max I've also been thinking about those phone wires, I see 'm often lingering around, here in the city, where technicians have been working on one of those electricity cupboards. I've been to pretentious to pick 'm up and test 'm out, I should do so next time, and see if they fit. I thought of encountering a pack of them in an electronic store but the once they have seem to be a bit thicker, I'll have to look it up more seriously and see if I can find fine ones.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:47 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

The tub looks great! They are good for all kinds of use when not full of water - or even if they are full if you like water plants. (I picture an indoor pond with a few lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) maybe some Black Gamecock (iris louisiana) and keep the fauna simple: A few White Cloud minnow (Tanichthys albonubes) - nothing else)

I digress, distilled water:

It is used anywhere hard water could cause problems, including humidifiers, automobile radiators, tinctures, etc. Locally, I find it at automotive stores, pharmacies, grocers. I would expect to see it in 1-5 liter jugs. You can make your own by boiling mains water and capturing the condensed steam. I would think you only need enough at first to test submerged, certainly not the whole tub full.

Filter/magnet: Most filter can remove particulate (heterogeneous) and many chemical filters can remove dissolved metals and ionized atoms, however about the only way to really get pure water from a filter that is easy/affordable is with reverse osmosis. You may be able to find RO water at an aquarium store. Dissolved salts/chemicals are not easy to filter from water when they are homogeneous, or in solution.

Again, this is just a suggestion to minimize the potential for shorts - is it essential? who knows until you did some testing to see if mains water causes problems - but once it does you'd need another full assembly if it happens to ruin any electronics, etc.

Wire:
I am not very fond of telephone wire, in my experience all the local telephone line here is solid core, and does not take to flexing well. However it is easy to get and inexpensive. One excellent source of small gauge insulated wire is computer data cables. Old serial and parallel cables are all but obsolete and may yield some great small gauge multi-strand wire.

Continue the great work and keep us up to date!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Chelle

The tub looks great! They are good for all kinds of use when not full of water - or even if they are full if you like water plants. (I picture an indoor pond with a few lotus (Nelumbo nucifera) maybe some Black Gamecock (iris louisiana) and keep the fauna simple: A few White Cloud minnow (Tanichthys albonubes) - nothing else)
Ha I love these suggestions ... perhaps I should leave this project as it is, and start gardening, and distilling moonshine ... and my next update image might look like this:

I digress, distilled water: ...

Filter/magnet: ...

Wire: ...
Hey Max, thanks also for these comments ... they give me a good lead and also a lot of information on the side, that clears things up, and is interesting. Your help is much appreciated, thanks.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:18 PM
Chelle

The 2nd ones (24x19x5mm) for sure, those are great, thanks!!

The other are 30x15x4mm I'll have to make a dummy and see if it would fit, I'll come back with the news.
Hi,

A short update, today the batteries from HobbyKing arrived, pfffieuw, I've ordered them on the 30th of march ... I had forgotten that I was working on something

It where these: ZIPPY 240mAh 20C single cell

at the description it said:
Dimensions: 24x19x5mm
Weight : 5.9g

but that's an 'inside' measure, they turn out to be quite big

compared to the other two that I have used in the past.

I have to do some squeezing

... to be continued ...

grtz,

chelle
Old 10-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

This has been a very interesting read. I feel like I just watched "Dallas" "Who shot JR" episode. Looking forward to reading the resuls of this very interesting project
Old 10-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Chelle

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
This has been a very interesting read. I feel like I just watched "Dallas" "Who shot JR" episode. Looking forward to reading the resuls of this very interesting project
haha, l love the reference, ... it was all a dream

Its been a while since I've been here, ever since I couldn't fit the batteries I've been putting everything on hold and have been working on a computer simmulation with the help of Canarian Computer Scientist, here is a preview, ... and a break through has been made this last week, where the torus moves freely through space, new clips should come soon, I'm not kidding

I also have to confess that I've been cheating on you guys and have joined a Swiss OpenSource Quadricopter Forum, and have been begging them for help from these guy's ... because I have had an idea to figure out a way to stear this thing.

http://ng.uavp.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=687

http://ng.uavp.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=698

So still to be continued,

cheers,

Chelle
Old 10-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Well I'm signed up. I wish I had some input for you but this is way over my head but is really cool to read about. I will be standing buy for more info