Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

$69 RTF Exceed RC 3-Channel J3 Piper Cub, yep it flys !

Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 PM
JonathanEngr

Spoke too soon. Thought I might take it out for a flight, powered everything up, controls all work but the engine won't start. You can hear a slight "whistle" when I throttle up, but no turning. I took the plane back inside, unhooked the ESC from the receiver, and PULLED... finally popped loose. It had been taped/glued inside of the fuselage. So... I dipped it in an alcohol solution and it's drying outside now. Hopefully it'll be okay, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:19 PM
JonathanEngr

The ESC is a Detrum 18A. Looks like Nitroplanes has them in stock. If I chose to go with another ESC brand that didn't carry an 18A version, would I want to go with a higher current rating (20A) or lower (15A). I didn't know if a higher current rating would cause the motor to overheat.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:37 PM
wingspann
Certified Codger

Originally Posted by JonathanEngr
Spoke too soon. Thought I might take it out for a flight, powered everything up, controls all work but the engine won't start. You can hear a slight "whistle" when I throttle up, but no turning. I took the plane back inside, unhooked the ESC from the receiver, and PULLED... finally popped loose. It had been taped/glued inside of the fuselage. So... I dipped it in an alcohol solution and it's drying outside now. Hopefully it'll be okay, but I'm not holding my breath.
Did you dip the receiver in alcohol too? If not, it might be a good idea. Then blow dry both receiver and ESC before you put them back in the plane.

Oh, as a side note, if you disconnected the wires from the motor (NOT an engine), it doesn't matter how they're reconnected unless the motor runs backwards. If that happens, just swap any two of the 3 wires, and it will run fine. (Assuming it's a brushless)

The ESC is a Detrum 18A. Looks like Nitroplanes has them in stock. If I chose to go with another ESC brand that didn't carry an 18A version, would I want to go with a higher current rating (20A) or lower (15A). I didn't know if a higher current rating would cause the motor to overheat.
Higher won't hurt a thing. Lower could overheat and burn out. You might get quicker service from Jeff:

http://www.headsuprc.com/

You don't have to match the brand to the original, just the amp rating equal or greater.

John
Old 03-19-2011, 04:56 AM
billbens

Forgive me, I see this mistake frequently it is voila. Viola is a stringed instrument similar to a violin (a little bigger and tuned a fifth lower).

Last edited by billbens; 03-19-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:27 AM
wingspann
Certified Codger

Originally Posted by billbens View Post
Forgive me, I see this mistake frequently it is voila. Viola is a stringed instrument similar to a violin (a little bigger and tuned a fifth lower).
HA! Thanks, billbens! I'd noticed that too, but with me jumping on the lad about everything else I decided to cut him some slack. Together we'll get him educated!

John
Old 03-19-2011, 03:16 PM
JonathanEngr

LOL! I didn't notice I had misspelled the word... of course, maybe I *meant* that I heard an orchestra when the engine (sorry--motor!) started up!

Well, it looks like either the ESC or the motor is dead. Now... before the submarine incident there would be a number of quite loud, audible beeps when I plugged the battery in. Now when I plug it in the beeps are still there, but it is very, very quiet (I have to lean my head next to the plane to hear them). Perhaps this is a clue of the part that went bad? Is it the ESC that makes these beeps, or is it the motor?

Either way, I did order a replacement ESC (actually, I bought two of them so I'll have an extra for the cub when I switch everything over. Can I use the 3-cell LiPo with the cub?). I also bought a factory replacement engine for the Hawk Sky in case the engine is the problem.

Also, I did place the ESC in a bath of rubbing alcohol, completely submerged it and shook it around. I then took it out and placed it outside in the shade to dry (didn't know if the direct sunlight would make it too hot). Still nothing.

If its possibly the motor, what can I do there? Is there any way to test it? Can I wire it directly to something and see if it turns? I guess it really doesn't matter since I can't do anything until the spare parts arrive.

For the time being, I guess I'll just have to wait for the replacement engine to arrive, and during that time I'll practice on the trainer. When the parts arrive and I diagnose the problem, no doubt I'll say, "Tuba!" LOL!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:59 PM
wingspann
Certified Codger

Originally Posted by JonathanEngr View Post
Well, it looks like either the ESC or the motor is dead. Now... before the submarine incident there would be a number of quite loud, audible beeps when I plugged the battery in. Now when I plug it in the beeps are still there, but it is very, very quiet (I have to lean my head next to the plane to hear them). Perhaps this is a clue of the part that went bad? Is it the ESC that makes these beeps, or is it the motor?
In answer to your question, I give you an unequivocal "YES!" The ESC causes the motor to vibrate, producing the musical tones.

Either way, I did order a replacement ESC (actually, I bought two of them so I'll have an extra for the cub when I switch everything over. Can I use the 3-cell LiPo with the cub?). I also bought a factory replacement engine for the Hawk Sky in case the engine is the problem.
Do the other controls work? Elevator, rudder, ailerons all function normally? If so, that would rule out the receiver. If NOT, then the receiver is a likely culprit. Also double check all of the plugs in the receiver. The black (or brown) wire goes to the "-" side of the receiver on all plugs.

As stated previously, the 3 cell LiPo should work with the Cub, but you'll have to be very careful not to discharge the LiPo below 9.6v. Your brushed ESC probably does not have low voltage cutoff for LiPo protection.

I still doubt that the problem is in the MOTOR. For that to happen, you'd have to have a shorted or broken winding or a bad joint in one of the leads.

If its possibly the motor, what can I do there? Is there any way to test it? Can I wire it directly to something and see if it turns?
No, you can't wire it to anything but a brushless ESC if it's a brushless (3 wire) motor.

For the time being, I guess I'll just have to wait for the replacement engine (motor) to arrive, and during that time I'll practice on the trainer (simulator). When the parts arrive and I diagnose the problem, no doubt I'll say, "Tuba!" LOL!!!!!!!!
And get a 'tuba' Corrosion-X (bottle, actually) so you can waterproof your new MOTOR and ESC when they arrive.

John
Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 AM
JonathanEngr

Boy--what a busy weekend! I'm ready to get back to work for a break :-)

Okay--so at this point it seems to be the ESC. The receiver seems fine. All of the controls work perfectly--just no "zoom".

Got a reply back from the eBay guy. He told me that yup--the price of the 7-channel, 2.4 ghz Dynam receiver is $40. He said any 2.4 ghz 7-channel receiver under $100 is a steal. Does the price sound like it's in-line? I know the premiere receivers (Futaba, etc.,) do run in the $100 range, but can't seem to find anything on the Dynam to compare it to.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:55 AM
wingspann
Certified Codger

Originally Posted by JonathanEngr View Post
Does the price sound like it's in-line? I know the premiere receivers (Futaba, etc.,) do run in the $100 range, but can't seem to find anything on the Dynam to compare it to.
When you stepped over the line into 2.4 gHz, you got out of my sphere of knowledge. All I can say is, if it feels right to you, do it.

John
Old 03-23-2011, 03:22 PM
JonathanEngr

Well, it's certainyl good to have contacts. I called the guy who heads up the local RC Club, and he had an 18A ESC on hand. I dropped by yesterday, bought it, soldered on the ends, plugged it up and I was up-and-running. WONDERFUL!

Last night was about the best "no wind" conditions I've seen since I bought either plane. Unbelievable. The plane floated and glided almost like it was flying itself. I didn't spend a lot of time in the air... just hand-launching, a few circles and then touching down on the ground. I flew it a good 10 times or so, and every single landing was perfect--level wings, good, slow descent and a very easy touchdown. I've never had the landing gear on the Hawk Sky--I just did as one guy in a video recommended. I thin layer of packaging tape on the bottom and let it land on its belly. Man was it fun.

After cutting off the ends of the ESC that wasn't working, I decided to dissect the little device and see what it looked like inside. I was amazed at all of the electronics. I guess back in the 60's those same controls would have been enclosed in a refrigerator-sized carton. :-) To my great surprise, there was still water inside. I had actually soaked it in a cup of alcohol, had shaken it around, and it had been drying for what--4 or 5 days? I guess the shrink tubing they put around them is so tight not much air flow gets in there. I'm almost tempted to hook it back up and try it out now that it's completely dry.

Since I do have the pond nearby and another water landing may occur, what about enclosing the ESC? I have several small, clear plastic boxes that I keep electrical connectors in, and I could drill holes for the wires at the seam of the box. Open it up, place the wires and then snap it closed. I can also use the corrosion-x, but thought a little extra insurance to keep a large gush of water from hitting it could only help. Does the ESC get really hot? Does it need to be in the open?

I'm going out in a few mins to do a little flying. With some luck, I'll see if I can talk my wife into videotaping a flight or two.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 PM
wingspann
Certified Codger

You're making great progress! Keep up the good work. You'll be handling wind up to 10 mph in no time.

You can't enclose the ESC, it has to have air circulation to stay cool. Therefore I recommend Corrosion-X. Take the ESC out of the plane, dip it in the Corrosion-X, being sure to get the Corrosion-X into all the internal nooks and crannies, then take it out and hang it to drain over paper towels. Do your receiver and motor too, while you're at it. That will eliminate water problems for 6 months or more. I watched a demo video where they dipped a TV set in Corrosion-X, then plugged it in, turned it on and dropped it in a swimming pool. The TV worked perfectly while underwater.

John
Old 03-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Bomb Dropper
The Reaper!

phillipmorris- Its kind of amusing that seeing your username made me want to go have a cigarette?

I really gotta kick this habit. Think of all the extra money I could put towards my plane funds!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:45 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Have no idea how people these days can afford them.

Wonder how many remember the Phillipmorris Call, I did just that few years back at our store and only party that recognized it was lady way in the back over 80 years old and myself, she actually got Johnny's signature from visit in Chicago just before he past away. Gads I'm old... Johnny and Lucille Ball were very close friends by the way...Hah...
Old 05-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Darwin

Default Trashing the Transmitter?

To JonathanEngr.
Hey, if you havent already tossed out the 27MHz transmitter and/or receiver, why dont you look at your local High School and see if the are having Robotics classes. That will work great for the kids to use to control their class projects. Thats where mine go!
Just a thought.
Darwin - Omaha
Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Benwilcox

Sorry to revive an old thread but I just recently purchased this plane from Nitroplanes. The first flight was in great conditions and it nose dived and broke the prop. Second through the fifth flight have all repeated that first one. I haven't tried again because it looks like my last prop is about to break. I have no experience so I'm kind of lost. Also when you guys talk about cycling the battery, whats the best way to go about that? Also, am I right to think that the prop on this plane is most likely a 7x4?
Thanks to all who answer
Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 PM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

First off congrads on getting some flight time on this one as a newbie. It has some issues, as well as abit small, takes a patient long take off for airspeed and even fools seasoned piots. Airspeed met it handles not too bad.

On cycling the battery believe its the nickel variety, they can be run down till motor stops then fully charge, cycling from complete drain will improve your flight time and won't hurt this type of battery, avoid this with the lipo as drained too far won't recover, tho they can be cycled as well but not all the way down.

You really need a pilot hopefully someone that has flown this entry.

Not sure on the size of the prop, if I find this info will post and others welcome to input.

Hope your able to get some more flights, but don't go overboard, as save for a more decent flyer.

More investment but a definte winner is the Super Cub as has a long successful following and will take some beating and keep flying, loved mine

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/H...FYgUKgodMx6kyg

On another thread is mention of 7X4 prop, unfortunately Nitroplanes is out of this one.

Last edited by phillipmorris; 07-23-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:52 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by Benwilcox View Post
Sorry to revive an old thread but I just recently purchased this plane from Nitroplanes. The first flight was in great conditions and it nose dived and broke the prop. Second through the fifth flight have all repeated that first one. I haven't tried again because it looks like my last prop is about to break. I have no experience so I'm kind of lost. Also when you guys talk about cycling the battery, whats the best way to go about that? Also, am I right to think that the prop on this plane is most likely a 7x4?
Thanks to all who answer

I just looked on np.com, and couldnt find a prop size, but 7x4 would be a good guess, of course depending on what type of motor. I dont have one, but a lot of people starting out do. On the subject of cycling batteries, what type of battery is it? I think they are 8.4 Nimh, not sure. You said the plane nose dives, then crashes. Is it losing speed/lift? or operator error? (been there, done that)
Make sure your Center of Gravity is correct. It should be in the manual, usually measured from the leading edge of the wing at the fuselage. It is imperative that CoG is correct or simply put the plane wont fly very good or not at all. This is one of the most important things when flying.

If your still having problems, you might want to get a rc flying simulator, RealFlight is pretty good. A free download one FMS, but you have to have a transmitter/radio that plugs into the USB of your computer.
Also do you have a local club or someone that knows how to fly to give you some hands on help? Flying rc aircraft is very technical and takes a little bit of knowledge to get started, and its even harder when you going at it alone.

Like phillipm said, this is an ok starter/trainer, but there are ones that are a lot better "trainers".
Nitroplanes.com calls just about everything a trainer!! when they really arent.
I learned on the 4channel Eflite Apprentice, great a/c, but it is $300 and includes everything that you need to fly and a great little transmitter Dx5e that you will use for a long time.

Ask all the questions you want, Wattflyer.com has tons of info here to help you get your wings
Lots of good reading here:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1777

hope this helps a bit,
cr
Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Benwilcox

I only asked about the battery (8.4v) cycling because a couple of pages back on this thread I saw someone saying that its bad for your motor to drain the battery while not in flight. Is there truth to this? As for the nose diving, I'm sure its my fault :p but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong lol The COG is right where it should be so I'm a little lost as to why its dives 8-10 feet from the hand launch.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:06 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

I only asked about the battery (8.4v) cycling because a couple of pages back on this thread I saw someone saying that its bad for your motor to drain the battery while not in flight. Is there truth to this? As for the nose diving, I'm sure its my fault :p but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong lol The COG is right where it should be so I'm a little lost as to why its dives 8-10 feet from the hand launch.
For Lithium Polymer batteries it is, they have a Low Voltage Cutoff(LVC) and you will ruin the battery if you completely drain it. But NIMH battery you should be alright.
I guess I dont understand exactly what you are saying.....you said, is this bad for your motor to drain the battery while not in flight......if you mean running your motor like on a bench in your shop, probably, the motor and esc need more cooling air during a flight than just static. Running motor 30 secs or so, no big deal, but any longer I would not.

As for the nose dive on hand launch, even at WOT it takes just a bit for any plane to get lift under the wings, but it shouldnt drop 8 or 10ft.
You might be throwing it at too much of an angle, a good medium hard throw slightly above level at full throttle should get you airborne.

have a good one
cr
Old 07-23-2011, 02:53 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Just guessing but so many wrong turns for a novice, too tight a turn, orientation issues as things reverse coming back towards the flyer, easy to lose perspective at given times,etc.

My experience with nickel batteries, draining them down actually extends flight times as they require cycling for best results, doesnt hurt them.

I do hope you find a pilot, speeds the learning curve tremendously.

Best
Old 07-23-2011, 03:46 AM
Benwilcox

i took it out for a flight tonight and I'm getting it lol Thanks for all the help guys. I wasn't letting the plane get up to enough airspeed before I tried to gain altitude.
Thanks again
Old 07-23-2011, 04:04 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

i took it out for a flight tonight and I'm getting it lol Thanks for all the help guys. I wasn't letting the plane get up to enough airspeed before I tried to gain altitude.
Thanks again

Thats awesome!.....Every plane has its little quirks about how it flys that make it a challenge. But yeah airspeed is a big one. Congrats

have a good one
cr
Old 07-23-2011, 04:11 AM
phillipmorris
Super Contributor

Yep, that's a big time issue with this bird, patience and it finally makes airspeed. Check youtube some amusing as fooled seasoned pilots.

Happy to hear your progressing super fun ahead.

Even today are times the glue never drys.

Up up and away
Oh how I pray
It will fly another
DAY