Radian (NOT pro) 2m settings. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Radian (NOT pro) 2m settings.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:54 PM
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Default Radian (NOT pro) 2m settings.

Hi, a friend (against my advice) bought a Radian as his first plane.

He has 4 2200 3s lipos We've tried using these (recommended is 1300mah) and despite spot on balancing at the recommended 63mm back from the leading edge the plane is VERY tail happy, it appears to need some Elevator downtrim in a mix with the throttle to stop it ballooning can anyone advise from experience?

Also the travel on the rudder at 100% is MASSIVE, probably 1 1/2 inches movement each way, what sort of movement does the Radian need to fly smoothly with enough deflection to turn?

He is currently repairing the fuselage!
Old 01-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Yakfishingfool

Sounds like you need to move the battery forward to balance and throw some expo in the radio to dull up the stick centers. Full throw should be ok with increased expo.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Sailplanes are often balanced somewhat aft to improve glide efficiency. Its perfectly OK to move the CG forward so it flies the way you want.

You NEED about 20 degrees +/- from neutral to fly the aircraft. There are times you might want 45 deg up (can't think of use for 45 down in a sailplane, but normal is to have up and down even) A trick for getting out of a thermal is to apply full up and full rudder forcing a spin. Higher throw elevator will accelerate the spin and help get the plane down.
With the heavier battery this might apply excess G and break the wing, but the weight would tend to make it easier to get out of a strong thermal without the spin.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:19 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Hi Dave. I fly a Radian in our club's LMR contest each month. The Radian will pitch up, a lot, with power! It would just do loops under power if you don't push down elevator. You can either add a mix to the throttle(More desirable if flying around with the throttle on, I guess), or you just have to push down during climb. Of course, a mix will take some experimenting to get just right. I think other than that characteristic, it's a great, gentle flyer for new pilots. I'm not sure what my rudder throw is. Did he set it per the manual? It's such a gentle flyer, I don't think that will be too much. Part of our LMR contest is spot landing for extra points, so the big rudder throw could be a good thing in that regard. Well, your friend isn't doing that though.

Oh yeah, How did you get that battery to fit?!? 1300's should be pretty cheap, I'd try to get some.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:18 PM
Davethebluessinger
Child of the 60s

Hi and thanks to all for the responses.
xmech2k, to fit the 2200 batterys we shaved about an 1/8th of an inch from the width and the height of the compartment and they slide in snug. Guess it's a matter of launching with less power and dialling in a mix with the throttle and elevator. The rudder throw seems massive and I don't think there are any recommended throws in the manual. As for mixing on a Devo 7 I haven't got a clue but I'll set him up on my Spectrum TX and take it from there.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:42 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

I kind of like the climbing under power characteristic. It makes hand launching easier as you can control the pitch with the throttle for that moment when my right hand releases the plane until it gets to the stick.